Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The US-Mexican border is like 2000 miles long. From an engineering perspective, is building a wall along it even possible?

If so, how many years would it take and how much would it cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No because we would have to hire Mexicans to build it and they would put in a bunch of secret tunnels.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

There's already a partial one and it doesn't do jack poo poo. There's also a very nice natural barrier in the form of a desert hellscape that people are still willing to cross.

The wall thing is just a talking point to get people at rallies to holler like morons that has no chance of actually being implemented.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lord of Pie posted:

The Trump thing is just a talking point to get people at rallies to holler like morons that has no chance of actually being implemented.

filthy ditch
Jul 22, 2014

uh the great wall of china is way bigger than 2000 miles and it was built like 3 million eyars ago. so ya, 2000 miles of wall built by the greatest nation on earth seems plausable. who would build it? probably a construction company. it would take 1 year and cost 45 million kronen.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
They should just build a wall of factories. Racists get to keep immigrants out, capitalists still get cheap labor.

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

filthy ditch posted:

uh the great wall of china is way bigger than 2000 miles and it was built like 3 million eyars ago. so ya, 2000 miles of wall built by the greatest nation on earth seems plausable. who would build it? probably a construction company. it would take 1 year and cost 45 million kronen.

yeah back when they didn't have labor unions :smug:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The cost is determined by how much human misery and death the US government would be willing to throw at the project.

Which is to say, a lot, but not insurmountable.

Also no.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I think a moat would be equally feasible.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Whiskey Sours posted:

Fatal Flaw: Humans like waterfront property

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Whiskey Sours posted:

California would divert it to Tom Selleck's house

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Mexicans with canteloupe-calves from all that drug-running would just find a way to scale the wall

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Great Wall is obsolete with the invention of dynamite, anyway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sullat posted:

Great Wall is obsolete with the invention of dynamite, anyway.

The best reference ever, I dont care how nerdy it makes me.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
It is one of those things where you say "god drat IT why didnt I think of it first"

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

They should just build a wall of factories. Racists get to keep immigrants out, capitalists still get cheap labor.

Make this man President of the United States

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A literal wall is impracticable. But you could have plane/blimp drones with solar panels giving pretty much total overwatch. You allow free travel and trade at specific crossings, while computers watching all the video feeds flag people/vehicles in the wilderness so the military can intercept them.

Mc Do Well has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Aug 24, 2015

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

just cast this and you're set op

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A literal huge wall would be fuckin sweet, like the walls in Pacific Rim, and the US could also build giant fusion-powered robots to patrol the border and annihilate anyone trying to cross with giant robot swords

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It just isn't feasible. It's too expensive, and lol if Republicans raise taxes to get it done.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

A literal huge wall would be fuckin sweet, like the walls in Pacific Rim, and the US could also build giant fusion-powered robots to patrol the border and annihilate anyone trying to cross with giant robot swords

much like kaiju, mexicans are 100s of feet tall. when will congress act on this imminent threat?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

It just isn't feasible. It's too expensive, and lol if Republicans raise taxes to get it done.

You know they wont. They will just cut federal funding to everything but the military.

It's such a dumb loving idea, and I can't believe people are falling for this.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A wall would be trivial to build and engineer. Think about the complexity and size of the highway system. Surely a fence is not more complicated and difficult to build than a 4 lane highway. Yes, its a retarded idea and among the dumbest things I've ever heard of, but it is easily within our ability to construct.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

There is no physical or engineering reasons why you can't have a wall of nearly arbitrary length across land.

It would financially cost billions of dollars. Really dumb waste of money.

The idea is incredibly stupid and people would be able to circumvent it quickly almost regardless of how it was put together. Either up, through, or under. No wall is security on its own. Walls are just something to slow people down, not truly a solution to keep people out.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

joke_explainer posted:

There is no physical or engineering reasons why you can't have a wall of nearly arbitrary length across land.

The idea is incredibly stupid and people would be able to circumvent it quickly almost regardless of how it was put together. Either up, through, or under. No wall is security on its own. Walls are just something to slow people down, not truly a solution to keep people out.

sure but what about a double wall maybe with a moat with sharks in between? also electrify both walls

:smug:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

A wall would be trivial to build and engineer. Think about the complexity and size of the highway system. Surely a fence is not more complicated and difficult to build than a 4 lane highway. Yes, its a retarded idea and among the dumbest things I've ever heard of, but it is easily within our ability to construct.

I would be so goddamn conflicted if this actually grew legs and resulted in the resurrection of the WPA.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Well duh, that's why your "wall" is just a moat filled with burning tires and machine gun nests every 50 meters on the US side.

Dumb pinko commie libs, don't you know anything??? :smug:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Just have sentry guns every couple of hundred meters like Israel has done for gaza

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbiB8oFkR7s&t=21s

(Really though the whole episode.)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3n5cUaG5fg

Just get the best solar panels, electric motors, batteries, computers, and data connections and you can watch the border 24/7/365

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't even think the majority even cross over the land anymore. It's all just hundreds of tunnels and poo poo. You can't block that with a wall, you can't watch it from the sky.

Maybe dirt radars and pet tremors or something.

Trump for Tremors 2016.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
The "wall" would be penalties on employers that hire illegals.
Bam! Done.

They built the Great Wall of China, so I'm sure we could build the wall. Get a bunch of slave labor and we could do that poo poo in a few years.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Thump! posted:

Well duh, that's why your "wall" is just a moat filled with burning tires and machine gun nests every 50 meters on the US side.

Dumb pinko commie libs, don't you know anything??? :smug:

Left out the self-healing minefield, 8/10.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

joke_explainer posted:

I guess my OP should have been more specific. I meant it is possible to build a 2000 mile long wall that actually works.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Pohl posted:

The "wall" would be penalties on employers that hire illegals.
Bam! Done.

They built the Great Wall of China, so I'm sure we could build the wall. Get a bunch of slave labor and we could do that poo poo in a few years.

great minds think alike

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Boosted_C5 posted:

Make this man President of the United States

As much as I'd love to take credit for some kind of evil ingenuity, wasn't that pretty much what NAFTA was supposed to be?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American politicians, especially local pols are grifters, and grafters along with the construction firms that are at the top of the donor list for many of the national level scum fucks. gently caress giving them another give away. Imagine the corruption a Trump presidency would entail, it would be hilarious.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

great minds think alike

Wait gently caress is that real?

Because holy poo poo I guess she would be the one to not realize that Mexicans didn't loving exist 5000 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

Wait gently caress is that real?

Because holy poo poo I guess she would be the one to not realize that Mexicans didn't loving exist 5000 years ago.

Or that Mexico and China are far apart.

• Locked thread