Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thump! posted:

lol harsh language seems to work well enough on you folk

It really does. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cephalocidal posted:

Realtalk - If it does, which it won't, the most fiscally conservative and morally bankrupt solution will win.

Landmines.

This, it's not like your current border policing methods aren't a hideous affront to human rights anyway.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lol when they try that and it just results in the richest coyotes investing in hovercraft

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would be a hell of a job to be the guy who has to replace them

Clean up on aisle 7..ill get the shovel..again

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

There's already a partial one and it doesn't do jack poo poo. There's also a very nice natural barrier in the form of a desert hellscape that people are still willing to cross.

The wall thing is just a talking point to get people at rallies to holler like morons that has no chance of actually being implemented.

This is what they said about getting on the Moon. The Great Mexican Wall (and round up) will be America's new cultural achievement of science and engineering.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

:rip: Newt's moonbase

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

America and Europe should switch places for a year, see how the other side lives, and what their immigrant problems are like. Like in that eddie murphy film.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

great minds think alike

lol

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is what they said about getting on the Moon. The Great Mexican Wall (and round up) will be America's new cultural achievement of science and engineering.

Great Mexican Wall?

I don't know if it will get built, if it's economically feasible to build, how long it would take etc, but I do know one thing: It will be called the Trump Wall.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Maduo posted:

Sometimes the best wall is no wall at all

I had to look this up and wow dude what the gently caress is wrong with this country. :psyduck:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I had to look this up and wow dude what the gently caress is wrong with this country. :psyduck:

What do you mean?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Actually it owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkYlIA7mgw

Anyone who wanders into the no-go zone is vaporized from space nowadays though.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

One of the candidates (I'm thinking Walker because of his Reagan obsession) will end up pushing for the Star Wars program to be revived so that the military can create a new medal for vaporising illegal Messicans from orbit with "lasers"

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
well not with that attitude!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the wall is actually to keep americans out of mexico

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Red Bones posted:

America and Europe should switch places for a year, see how the other side lives, and what their immigrant problems are like. Like in that eddie murphy film.

Mohammed the Mujahid for Pepe the Hard Working Mexian

sounds like a p nice deal for Europe

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
How would we staff such a massive wall, let criminals accept life in servitude as a watchman at the wall in plea bargaining, and then they serve their life sentence protecting us from the foreign hordes?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Been thinking about this wall thing for weeks and i just don't see how it's possible in any way shape or form. Unless it's built down to the bedrock it will just be tunnelled under. Is it even possible to do that. And if it's not adequately staffed they will climb over it no matter how high it is, like some kind of world war z scene over and over and over.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway fuckit he's building a wall. Trump 2016

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Mo_Steel posted:

How would we staff such a massive wall, let criminals accept life in servitude as a watchman at the wall in plea bargaining, and then they serve their life sentence protecting us from the foreign hordes?

You're in luck! I heard there is this group of desolate people willing to work for really low pay!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wid posted:

You're in luck! I heard there is this group of desolate people willing to work for really low pay!

Staffing the wall with mexicans would defeat every purpose the wall is trying to serve

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

Staffing the wall with mexicans would defeat every purpose the wall is trying to serve

Well they are the ones who are going to pay for it, so it seems only fair

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

If we go with this we might as well go full Game of Thrones and make it hundreds of feet high

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
It'll be amazing 10,000 years after the Trumpocolypse when future alien archeologists shifting through the ruins of our civilization find a massive half-finished wall in the middle of the desert and wonder, "Why the gently caress did they do this?"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the brown walkers shall awaken

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

well not with that attitude!

not with ANY attitude!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

OK, now how do you protect yourself from us Canadians? :smug:

Apparently I was wrong. Its as simple as another wall!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/scott-walker-canada-u-s-border-wall-worth-considering-1.3209152

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

It's incredible because it's both less feasible and a more terrible idea.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Secret Papist-Caliphate alliance

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Wall is gonna work, we're gonna deport the mexicans, then millennials can potentially make $15/hr with their womens studies degrees without the illegals depressing wages.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It's going to be weird when the spending on the wall creates an economic boom for border communities during the construction. The terrified whites who live there will love Trump even more because they'll better off for a bit even if the wall doesn't stop anyone.

Does the Gaza Wall require constant upkeep? The border is going to get a bunch of federal money flowing towards it then.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSEdvLHh7cM

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just build huge arrays of prism towers, and use some attack dogs to sniff out camouflaged spies. Worked out pretty well for me in Red Alert 2.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Just build huge arrays of prism towers, and use some attack dogs to sniff out camouflaged spies. Worked out pretty well for me in Red Alert 2.

I prefer the Dungeon Keeper method of keeping out invaders.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Laying train track is about a million bucks a mile, so two billion to lay track along the entire border plus another billion or so for necessary bridges/grading, doubled for parallel. Six billion for a nice tight 2000 mile long loop, three mil per for a locomotive+vehicle flatbed every 20 miles or so adds another 300 million, 360 pan long range tremor/quake sensor equipped motion night vision cameras every mile at 200 thousand per, so 400 million for that, toss on another six billion for switching and maintenance stations, border patrol barracks, wiring the drat thing, offroad interception vehicles, etc.
Somewhere around 13 billion to build a rail-based border response system that can get border guards to the location of a crossing in half an hour, plus another nice round 7 billion for the drone fleet to track border crossings once they've been tagged by the camera wall so that the border guard can actually catch up to them.

20 billion dollars, or roughly one thirtieth of the discretionary defense budget for 2015, a fifth of the transportation budget, or 40% of the "international affairs" budget. It's definitely doable, and the cost of upkeep would probably only be a few billion a year. Is it useful though? How hosed would our court system be if 100% of the people who tried to cross in illegally from Mexico were caught and processed?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Cephalocidal posted:

Laying train track is about a million bucks a mile, so two billion to lay track along the entire border plus another billion or so for necessary bridges/grading, doubled for parallel. Six billion for a nice tight 2000 mile long loop, three mil per for a locomotive+vehicle flatbed every 20 miles or so adds another 300 million, 360 pan long range tremor/quake sensor equipped motion night vision cameras every mile at 200 thousand per, so 400 million for that, toss on another six billion for switching and maintenance stations, border patrol barracks, wiring the drat thing, offroad interception vehicles, etc.
Somewhere around 13 billion to build a rail-based border response system that can get border guards to the location of a crossing in half an hour, plus another nice round 7 billion for the drone fleet to track border crossings once they've been tagged by the camera wall so that the border guard can actually catch up to them.

20 billion dollars, or roughly one thirtieth of the discretionary defense budget for 2015, a fifth of the transportation budget, or 40% of the "international affairs" budget. It's definitely doable, and the cost of upkeep would probably only be a few billion a year. Is it useful though? How hosed would our court system be if 100% of the people who tried to cross in illegally from Mexico were caught and processed?

Trump has already stated that the wall is going to be tall. This does not sound tall.

e:

Donald Trump posted:

“By the way, and nobody knows how easy that would be. And I mean, it would be, it would be tall, it would be powerful, we would make it very good-looking. It would be as good as a wall’s got to be, and people will not be climbing over that wall, believe me.”

It doesn't sound very good looking, either. America needs a wall that is tall and good looking.

Vienna Circlejerk has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Sep 5, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

It doesn't sound very good looking, either. America needs a wall that is tall and good looking.

Yao Ming can't cover the entire border.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
i like that idiots are saying the Great Wall of China was built 5000 years ago

also implying that there is a singular Great Wall

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maduo posted:

Sometimes the best wall is no wall at all

For reference, this took 7 years. A giant wall would probably take decades and would be immediately obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

steinrokkan posted:

i like that idiots are saying the Great Wall of China was built 5000 years ago

also implying that there is a singular Great Wall

But you can't deny its effectiveness against the nomadic horse archers of the Mexican steppe.

• Locked thread