Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

A wall would be trivial to build and engineer. Think about the complexity and size of the highway system. Surely a fence is not more complicated and difficult to build than a 4 lane highway. Yes, its a retarded idea and among the dumbest things I've ever heard of, but it is easily within our ability to construct.

I would be so goddamn conflicted if this actually grew legs and resulted in the resurrection of the WPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbiB8oFkR7s&t=21s

(Really though the whole episode.)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

french lies posted:

You're right and the implications of this are scary as gently caress.

Fuel consumption for a drone wall would be a huge cash sink if we're talking zero holes. Easier to spin up than a literal wall but potentially more costly in the long run. Blimps would just get knocked out of the sky; a cheap hobby drone and a small explosive is well within the budget of most Coyotes.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

french lies posted:

You don't need a watertight system. If it reduces the amount of illegal crossings by 80% that would probably be enough to justify the expense for the people concerned with this stuff. Random rotation of patrol routes, better algorithms for image detection et.c. would increase the efficiency. Fuel costs might decline over time with new technological solutions.

I'm just talking out of my rear end here so who knows. I really hope it doesn't come to this.

Realtalk - If it does, which it won't, the most fiscally conservative and morally bankrupt solution will win.

Landmines.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Laying train track is about a million bucks a mile, so two billion to lay track along the entire border plus another billion or so for necessary bridges/grading, doubled for parallel. Six billion for a nice tight 2000 mile long loop, three mil per for a locomotive+vehicle flatbed every 20 miles or so adds another 300 million, 360 pan long range tremor/quake sensor equipped motion night vision cameras every mile at 200 thousand per, so 400 million for that, toss on another six billion for switching and maintenance stations, border patrol barracks, wiring the drat thing, offroad interception vehicles, etc.
Somewhere around 13 billion to build a rail-based border response system that can get border guards to the location of a crossing in half an hour, plus another nice round 7 billion for the drone fleet to track border crossings once they've been tagged by the camera wall so that the border guard can actually catch up to them.

20 billion dollars, or roughly one thirtieth of the discretionary defense budget for 2015, a fifth of the transportation budget, or 40% of the "international affairs" budget. It's definitely doable, and the cost of upkeep would probably only be a few billion a year. Is it useful though? How hosed would our court system be if 100% of the people who tried to cross in illegally from Mexico were caught and processed?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

It doesn't sound very good looking, either. America needs a wall that is tall and good looking.

Yao Ming can't cover the entire border.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

A White Guy posted:

We could build a 2,000 mile wall. Absolutely. People like to forget that we've had far, far greater infrastructure projects that we've completed, ala, the entire US highway system, or the entire US system of canals and waterworks projects. It's absolutely possible. The engineering challenges of such a ludicrous project are absolutely surmountable, provided enough money is thrown at the problem.

The problem is that you have to man a 2,000 mile long wall, and you have to maintain a 2,000 mile long wall, and the cost to build,maintain, and man such a wall would be ludicrously prohibitive. I'm not going to put dollar figures to such a project, but it would easily cost a significant chunk of what we already throw at our military every year.

That and if it's manned at least some of the people guarding it will be bribable.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

wid posted:

The only wall needed to hold off illegal immigrants is a huge penalty for business entities that employs illegals. This is why Singapore has no illegal worker problems despite being spitting distance from Indonesia, the world's largest exporter of low skill workers.

But that won't happen in the US because the businesses rely on cheap labor.

Ooh, brainwave. Instead of deporting illegal Mexican immigrants give them all subsidized housing and sub min wage government jobs for the two decades it takes them to be processed so they can live and work for America but not make enough money to send any back to family in Mexico. Saves the government money and disincentivises anyone that isn't basically an asylum seeker from trying to cross.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

etalian posted:

use the ones you capture to build the wall.

As labor, building materials, or both?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

Can't wait to see illegal immigrants in full plate mail.

The southern border would wind up like a hot Everest, littered with the desiccated corpses of dudes who died in the middle of the razorfields wrapped in scalding plates. Too difficult to remove, serving as landmarks for the intrepid mexican hopefuls who followed.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

We could just ramp up greenhouse gas emissions and turn the south into an even less survivable hellscape 50 years ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I think everyone itt is missing the forest for the trees. The issue is that they are digging tunnels. We need a system to intercept them and drive them to the surface where drones can finish the job.

My suggestion? The United States needs to dig an extensive and nearly pointless system of tunnels along our Mexican border. We can not allow a Tunnel Gap to form and by commandeering and reinforcing any foreign tunnels we can begin finally sewing up the borders of the nation.

Next up: I think we should probably open fire on some Canadian Aircraft.

Just raise the entire country up on stilts and build smaller walls in the permanent midnight below around our oil and gas bores and our aquifer tap sites.

• Locked thread