Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Military service to fund education definitely has some negative cultural / economic implications but the skills, work ethic and maturity gained are almost as valuable as a good co-op year which you only see in top-level STEM programs. That, and everyone I've ever seen at a rally demanding free tuition wouldn't last ten minutes in basic or a math class.

You also get to compound the world's problems by killing children with drones, enforcing american hegemony and creating the petri dish of misery and contempt that provides the political will for ISIS to exist. Its a coin flip but that theology degree isn't going to pay for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I await the day years from now when the word 'selfie' is synonymous with 'masturbation'

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

*complains about millennials*

*is a millennial*

mellennial.jpg

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
It's weird/bad that a bunch of hosed up GiP freaks invaded the loving Millennial.jpeg thread.

Also I refuse to be lumped in with "millennials". I'm solidly "generation-y". :colbert:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm the bunch of flowers on the coffin.

Sound Bite
Jul 19, 2005

*presses F to pay respects*

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

corpuscollossus posted:

You also get to compound the world's problems by killing children with drones, enforcing american hegemony and creating the petri dish of misery and contempt that provides the political will for ISIS to exist. Its a coin flip but that theology degree isn't going to pay for itself.
CIA program, not necessarily a bad thing, and the result of one hundred years of poor strategic decisions since the fall of the ottomans. It's not like the army/navy can't do positive things like disaster relief (see Typhoon Haiyan where all but one of the top seven international response forces was military-based). Serving or not serving won't change any of the things you mentioned; voting and becoming engaged in the political system will.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

rename thread to goon.jpg

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Ocean Book posted:

i feel like a lot of millenial hate is misdirected hate that should be at smartphones, which are a force of evil and a virus that has invaded all living generations at this point.

:agreed:
But even if you could somehow implant smartphone/internet technology onto previous generations to see what teenagers would do with it, I can't imagine any of them would do anything as tone-deaf as this:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Jesus Christ are those stupid scarves ever going to go away?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I took a bunch of students on a field trip today. At the beginning of the school year, we take our 8th grade class (all 500 of them) to the university down the road. My group kept separating into a faster and a slower group, which made it difficult to cross the roads as a group. I had to keep urging the slow group to hurry up. When we get to the university (About a 4 block walk) one of the girls in the slow group proudly shows me the 39 selfies she managed to take on the walk over.

39 selfies in 4 blocks. Less than a 20 minute walk. I pointed out that maybe, just maybe, the fact that she was stopping to take all these selfies was the reason her group was holding everybody back. She pointed out how important it is for her to get all these pictures "Because the next one might be even better than the others!"

Then this sad behavior continued when we actually got to the college. The people in charge of the day had lots of activities planned. And this girl and her friends never actually participated in anything. They stood there, taking selfies in front of other people who were actually doing the activities and then posting these selfies by the dozen on facebook. For them, the entire day was about proving they had been there when stuff was happening, rather than actually doing all the stuff.

There is no facepalm big enough for this situation.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

ghlbtsk posted:

But even if you could somehow implant smartphone/internet technology onto previous generations to see what teenagers would do with it, I can't imagine any of them would do anything as tone-deaf as this:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

genesplicer posted:

I took a bunch of students on a field trip today. At the beginning of the school year, we take our 8th grade class (all 500 of them) to the university down the road. My group kept separating into a faster and a slower group, which made it difficult to cross the roads as a group. I had to keep urging the slow group to hurry up. When we get to the university (About a 4 block walk) one of the girls in the slow group proudly shows me the 39 selfies she managed to take on the walk over.

39 selfies in 4 blocks. Less than a 20 minute walk. I pointed out that maybe, just maybe, the fact that she was stopping to take all these selfies was the reason her group was holding everybody back. She pointed out how important it is for her to get all these pictures "Because the next one might be even better than the others!"

Then this sad behavior continued when we actually got to the college. The people in charge of the day had lots of activities planned. And this girl and her friends never actually participated in anything. They stood there, taking selfies in front of other people who were actually doing the activities and then posting these selfies by the dozen on facebook. For them, the entire day was about proving they had been there when stuff was happening, rather than actually doing all the stuff.

take a chill pill, grandpa *takes selfie with your post*

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

genesplicer posted:

Hahaha you have to deal with those little ingrate shitballs as part of your job

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

those are the fun parts though :confused: I'm not understanding, you get to do all that fun stuff while getting free education, it's a big fat silly secret

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

:stonk:

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

this can't be real...

I mean I've seen enough time traveling movies to know that poo poo would get hosed up if they made contact with each other

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It must get tiresome ironically supporting the Taliban around here.

My Q-Face posted:

You think it takes work ethic to go sit in a desert for 12 months, ride around in armored vehicles most of the time, and walk around occasionally? I'll admit, there were some who busted their rear end and worked because it needed to be done and I admire them, but the vast, vast majority were too lazy to check their own oil, too lazy to change a tire, and too lazy to pull the big bright red "stop" button back out before they tried to turn on the generator and decided it was broken when it didn't start. The vast majority were too goddamned lazy and self-absorbed to pitch in to get a job done right, because "it's not my job", because they had more pressing things to do like get back to their hooch to play CoD all night.
In fairness, I'm pretty sure this is true of soldiering throughout history.

Frankenstyle posted:

Wah, wah, wah. "The future isn't pretty enough, make me a better one". Go out and dig one out of a landfill you lazy bastards.

Awww, "You made me this way dad, and I'm not moving out until you fix me".
Is your avatar the villain from Mad Max Fury Road because that is the character you most related to?

ghlbtsk posted:

(an elected politician and repeated presidential candidate)

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Go gently caress yourselves. Not all of you. Just most of you.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

VagueRant posted:

In fairness, I'm pretty sure this is true of soldiering throughout history.

To an extent, which is why I sneer at the soldiers and veterans saying "I'm not like the rest of those lazy millennials, I went to War!" War is (and always has been) about 99% sitting around waiting for poo poo to happen. And also when the senior leadership stands around saying "you're great, you're wonderful, you're the elite, you're part of the point four five percent of Americans who have volunteered to fight since 9/11, you're special just because you put on the uniform", it's not at all surprising that so many come back thinking the rest of the country owes them something (beyond VA benefits and care and such).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

To an extent, which is why I sneer at the soldiers and veterans saying "I'm not like the rest of those lazy millennials, I went to War!" War is (and always has been) about 99% sitting around waiting for poo poo to happen. And also when the senior leadership stands around saying "you're great, you're wonderful, you're the elite, you're part of the point four five percent of Americans who have volunteered to fight since 9/11, you're special just because you put on the uniform", it's not at all surprising that so many come back thinking the rest of the country owes them something (beyond VA benefits and care and such).

Not disagreeing, soldiers are incredibly lazy and mostly inept. But it's stupid easy to get way ahead in life by joining the military unless you already are a trust fund baby or something. Typically Joe spends all his money on cars and strip clubs and alcohol, but if you can plan ahead, it's probably one of the best means of upward mobility there is. You don't even need to do anything to offend liberal sensibilities, you can be a finance clerk/veterinarian services (food tester) or in the coast guard or something. That's the best thing about the military, infantrymen get paid the exact same amount (in general) as water purification dudes and everyone gets the same GI Bill.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 26, 2015

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
the sad thing is, people used to photograph each other at war memorials before the inventions of smartphones. saw it myself with a ww2 memorial in London.
technology changes, (stupid) people stay the same.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ocean Book posted:

i feel like a lot of millenial hate is misdirected hate that should be at smartphones, which are a force of evil and a virus that has invaded all living generations at this point.

so look they're great and they're here to stay, okay? we're so integrated with them and they'll get so small soon it'll go right into your face/hand! no no shh shhhh no don't fight it, yes, yes shh. you're okay, see how small that was? it's inside you now. soon billions and billions of them, self replicating using allllll those calories you never needed in the first place. it's no problem. now they're better than cells, perfect replicators with telomeres that don't wear down! you don't need those old school cells, you can replace them! yes even those pesky neurons, its one at a time shh don't worry perfectly safe, thats right go to sleep

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My Q-Face posted:

I'm not saying your perception of this poo poo doesn't happen, as a matter of fact, there is a group of weirdo kids trying to claim "credit" by playing dress up as soldiers and trying to get a free lunch at the Golden Coral or something.

That being said, this is not my experience at all and seems to be very different from yours. Most of my peers are pretty well adjusted or just want to be left the gently caress alone. They don't like the whole "Oh, well thank you for your service sonny!" bullshit or any special attention. Yeah, I like going on hikes by myself and getting my free day pass at our state parks for being a vet, but I don't wave flags or basically draw any unneeded attention to myself if I don't have to.

Sorry you seem to be surrounded by lovely people. I've not had that luck.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

so look they're great and they're here to stay, okay? we're so integrated with them and they'll get so small soon it'll go right into your face/hand! no no shh shhhh no don't fight it, yes, yes shh. you're okay, see how small that was? it's inside you now. soon billions and billions of them, self replicating using allllll those calories you never needed in the first place. it's no problem. now they're better than cells, perfect replicators with telomeres that don't wear down! you don't need those old school cells, you can replace them! yes even those pesky neurons, its one at a time shh don't worry perfectly safe, thats right go to sleep

:swoon:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
why do (mostly old) people get so mad about selfies? what is it thats so enraging?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sonofsilversign posted:

why do (mostly old) people get so mad about selfies? what is it thats so enraging?

I wouldn't say they are inherently bad, but some people WAAAAAYY over do it. I have friends on facebook, and I'm in my early 30's, that post a new profile pic every other day or two. That's.... weird. My last "selfie" was taken maybe 2 months ago. I don't take pictures of myself. Other people do. I'd imagine it comes off as extremely narcissistic. Just more fuel for the "drat those kids" generations. If taking a selfie is the worst of the millennials, then I'll take it. Better than completely loving up our country and distorting our values.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

heh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Better than completely loving up our country and distorting our values.

Well does it count as loving it up and distorting the values when they arrived to us already broken?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
while i appreciate your candid response lol at talking about "values" unironically

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
how are old people so naive? must be growing up with like 3 tv channels lmao

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

She's either standing in the grave or she's really short.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Sonofsilversign posted:

how are old people so naive? must be growing up with like 3 tv channels lmao

HEY! We had local UHF stations too. :colbert:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
lol at all you fucken dinosaurs who can't identify an obvious photoshop

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
durrr at least i know how outlook works *breaks hip*

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
this is you: *gets mad at the computer and starts hitting keys like an ape*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
This is how I know I'm old and/or not a narcissist: it would never ever occur to me to take a picture of myself.
That would be like saying something only you think is witty, laughing at what you just said and then high-fiving yourself.

Now do that every 30 seconds.

• Locked thread