Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was born in 1983 so technically I'm a millennial. I joined the Marines and here are some pics of some. Here's my generation.

Bunch of lazy assholes. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Robo Reagan posted:

i joined the marines too im in blackops socom w/ over 200 confirmed kills how about you

Strained my mouse finger in a bad Counter Strike accident back in the day. I.... *sigh*..... I can't fight anymore. :smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's good to fight for a G.I. Bill so you aren't crippled with $60,000 of debt after going to school.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Choco1980 posted:

I was born in 1980, one of those awkward "cusp" years where you don't really get any of the benefits of the generations before OR after you.

It does grant you a unique outside perspective to realize that everything negative leveled at each generation is 100% accurate. Everybody sucks. The new generation always thinks the old one is out of touch and stupid. The older generation always thinks the younger one is entitled and stupid. They're both right.

:respek:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Bad though if you do actually get crippled.

The you go back to school again for physical therapy, rehabilitate yourself, rejoin the military with a sign on bonus and pay off your extra school debt. Problem solved. :smug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah you're just regular crippled instead

I am actually. Mentally. :smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Justin Tyme posted:

same also you get shitloads of grant money on top of it for being a low-income veteran so you basically make what they call in the industry a "whole lot of money" profiting off going to school. If you fully embrace free housing and food while in and save smartly, there is no excuse to not be able to graduate with a free degree and enough money/good credit for 20% down on a respectable home.

but some people don't want to fight for capitalism or kill innocent people (ON ACCIDENT!!!!) so it's basically not for faggots (MILLENNIALS!)

Or you can do what I did and drown everything in massive amounts of alcohol for 10+ years while jumping from career to career and school to school and finally explode after an incident and then have the VA send you a check every month because you have a "Total occupational and social impairment" and are a "Persistent danger of hurting others" and "Persistent danger of hurting self" (their words, not mine... of a long list of things :smith:).

It was my plan all along. I only had to just sit and wait.... muhuhahahaha.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Horniest Manticore posted:

you're all cogs in the imperial war machine hth

Sounds like something a dirty millennial would say. Hmmmm? :colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ok this is pretty funny. Sad... but funny.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Helpimscared posted:

How dare you be so violent and reckless

Just doin' what the baby boomers said to do!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You seem very upset about this. And I joined in 2002. You're not an old man if you were in in 2003. You'd be what's called..... a millennial.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My Q-Face posted:

I originally joined in 1996.

Touche..... touche.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mind the walrus posted:

Hard to believe that this and a BMW didn't lay all the pussy he wanted at his feet.

For whatever it's worth I'm not in the service and Millennial as gently caress and I'm with you. I didn't even know they gave out medals just for being shot at. This generation deserves its reputation.

I'm going to guess that the young soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines didn't petition their superior officers and fight until they got this so well deserved medal. There is a good conduct ribbon for fucks sake. That's basically, serve for a bit while not committing a felony and you get a medal. It's been around for over a hundred years. The young people have no say in the creation of medals so you only have the higher ups to blame for anything you may deem as pointless.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Same. I have a feeling that is an actual screenshot from a game that was actually made. gently caress pressing "F". I'm a rebel. :radcat:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My Q-Face posted:

To an extent, which is why I sneer at the soldiers and veterans saying "I'm not like the rest of those lazy millennials, I went to War!" War is (and always has been) about 99% sitting around waiting for poo poo to happen. And also when the senior leadership stands around saying "you're great, you're wonderful, you're the elite, you're part of the point four five percent of Americans who have volunteered to fight since 9/11, you're special just because you put on the uniform", it's not at all surprising that so many come back thinking the rest of the country owes them something (beyond VA benefits and care and such).

I'm not saying your perception of this poo poo doesn't happen, as a matter of fact, there is a group of weirdo kids trying to claim "credit" by playing dress up as soldiers and trying to get a free lunch at the Golden Coral or something.

That being said, this is not my experience at all and seems to be very different from yours. Most of my peers are pretty well adjusted or just want to be left the gently caress alone. They don't like the whole "Oh, well thank you for your service sonny!" bullshit or any special attention. Yeah, I like going on hikes by myself and getting my free day pass at our state parks for being a vet, but I don't wave flags or basically draw any unneeded attention to myself if I don't have to.

Sorry you seem to be surrounded by lovely people. I've not had that luck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sonofsilversign posted:

why do (mostly old) people get so mad about selfies? what is it thats so enraging?

I wouldn't say they are inherently bad, but some people WAAAAAYY over do it. I have friends on facebook, and I'm in my early 30's, that post a new profile pic every other day or two. That's.... weird. My last "selfie" was taken maybe 2 months ago. I don't take pictures of myself. Other people do. I'd imagine it comes off as extremely narcissistic. Just more fuel for the "drat those kids" generations. If taking a selfie is the worst of the millennials, then I'll take it. Better than completely loving up our country and distorting our values.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sonofsilversign posted:

while i appreciate your candid response lol at talking about "values" unironically

Yeah that was a really dumb and lovely term to use and I was reluctant to type it. However, I'm drunk so gently caress it. What I meant by ARE VALUUSE is basic human values. Not the propaganda machine that's been at work for the past few decades, or at least since I was a child (80's), that has completely progressed at a terrible rate. When I was young, at least they had the common decency to attempt to hide the terrible poo poo our country did. Now it's acceptable to kill, torture, etc., as long as it's for ARE COUNTRY!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ghlbtsk posted:

You seem like a nice young fella.
Maybe you could help me download the internet.

(There's a Werther's in it for you)

drat, my grandparents used to always have Werther's. They've been dead for 15 years or so though so it's been a while since I've had one. :corsair:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Edgar posted:

thats the one at my school :(

Wait... what? No. No no no. That...that's real?

Ok, I take back everything I said.

Remove the heresy. Purge the unclean. We need to be destroyed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Grand Prize Winner posted:

'87 is late gen-x okay i don't wanna be a millennial

Nope. I was born in 1983 and I'm technically a millennial. Not sure why you'd want to be affiliated with Gen X. They were poo poo on 10-20 years ago or so. As is every coming of age generation. My brother is a super hardcore republican who owns a failing company that blames Obama for his own incompetence and he is about 6 years older than me. This whole lovely thread is basically "drat kids these days". That's never been said before. Very insightful.

I'm 32. My parent's generation poo poo on all of us. They were the baby boomers. I have explained this to them and they, for some reason, actually agreed that they were poo poo. Mine aren't TOO bad though. They gave me nothing even though they were extremely well off. They didn't do anything for me, but at least they taught me some basic skills I guess. Or at least they provided so little to me that I went and found the skills on my own. I started working at 12. They are old though. 67-68 years old or so. Probably the last generation to see an almost guaranteed retirement/pension. Unless we do something about that of course. (not going to happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lasher posted:

Generation X. Generation strange. Sun don't shine through our window panes. - Fred Durst millenial poet

Dude is 45 years old.

• Locked thread