Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

If a millennial "came of age" around the year 2000, as google suggests, then millenials are becoming 30 somethings about now, yes? Look at every rear end in a top hat you see wearing a denim shirt, wearing expensive basketball shoes, sporting a balding head-full of "artisan" pomade in 110 degree heat, and masturbating to fantasies of their very own "startup venture capital firm" while "swiping right". Millennials are now Contemporary Conformists.

Source: http://carles.buzz/the-contemporary-conformist/

If you can get used to the loving insufferable writing, I think this guy has us all beat for identifying what's wrong with millennials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

i am approaching 30 and that is many of my peers unfortunately, yes

not me though. i'll dress like an alienating weirdo for life! im not a cog in ur system dad

Uniforms are important that's what a psych teacher once said to me

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Keep our teeth

gently caress that I'm proud to have gum disease teeth are for the weak

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

i read this and it seems to be saying contemporary conformists are people who wear clothes and go in buildings, which i have to agree with

They are people who can't get over how cool it is to go into a building designed to make them feel special and not like just more slaves under the weight of dying capitalism.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

nomadologique posted:

art critique aside, i see nothing there about art, just a dude making some money painting a cafe, which is another critique entirely, and would be a lot easier to pursue

"boy ppl love really stupid decor in their cafes these days" which was already part of the point of that series of photos about the Contemporary Conformist

I think that's what people are on about but maybe not articulating well when they say it's "not art". Not to speak for others, but there is something entirely commercial and false-feeling about the work, especially the "vintage sales signs" fonts. Jesus, it's 2015, not 1945, you aren't buying a coke for nickle at the neighborhood corner store. Unless your cafe is some kind of ethically sourced local family owned business (if that's what gets you off; it's been true for a long time that advertising is linked to exploitation), it seems glaringly disingenuous to offer guests the feeling that you're like them--like what they like, are inspired by what they are--when, really, the majority of these institutions are completely alienating and exploitative in their practices.

Submitting that the problem with millennials is that they can't or won't see that they're being pandered to.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

yes, millenials are unaware that businesses do things to attract customers and increase sales, cutting insight

'Fraid you missed the point, or maybe you genuinely feel a warm feeling in your heart when you see the "hand written" chalk signs outside a Starbucks full of people gazing into their phones, gigantic pictures of "natives" roasting beans on the wall. poo poo's false. It's money making propaganda that disguises its own emptiness.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

really piercing the veil again with scathing insight

I'm genuinely not sure if you're trolling me or not, but what we are asking is, "do millennials suck, and why?", and I'm answering that question in a way that's relevant to what's been in the thread recently, ie, this dude and his art project.

Are you trying to defend him? Because his work isn't even really what I'm honing in on, its the way in which it is in itself emblematic of the problem with millennials--they're easily duped and they like to be duped.

To break it down further, some would argue that a lack of critical insight and ability to be easily pandered to are two criteria for being poo poo people.

Let me argue for you though and go a step further to assert, as I bet you are, that "nothing matters" , so it's dumb to get upset about anything, culture included, OR perhaps you're one of those quasi-nihilists who's actually a closet positivist and is excited by anything you see, as long as you don't have to be critical of it.

I really hope you have more to say than that, but I'm also pretty sure you'll just shitpost again.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

This is true of every generation in every country, so I'm not sure why it's worth calling out Millennials in particular over.

That's just a little bit of an overgeneralization, don't you think? There are better and worse generations in terms of either embracing or rejecting the politics of their times. You'd hardly say that Vietnam protesters were just as big suckers as these loving yellow ribbon support our troops who cares if Bush lied shitkickers, would you?

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

ethanol posted:

Is George Bush Jr a millennial? He even paints his own selfies

depends if you believe he has come of age or not yet

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Toadvine posted:

every generation is happily duped into being sold lifestyles and material poo poo

also shut up you sound real snotty

Wow yall have some reading to do, everything hasn't been the same forever just because it's easy to say that it has. I'm outa here tho :rolleyes:

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 30, 2015

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

Sorry for this late reply.

I have really strong values I hold dearly, and a distaste for the commercialization of the world is one of them. I agree with your points about how corporations use a veneer of affability to hide an alienating production process.

However I think that you thinking that millenials are somehow unaware that corporations manipulate them is extremely funny. There isn't a person in america over the age of 14 who isn't aware of the truthbombs you are dropping

Thanks for getting back to me. Anyway man, here's the thing, millennials appear to like the constant corporate rim jobs they're being offered. I don't think you could say that a generation before or since has been so ready to have their lives engineered around consumption. They're totally credulous and dissent is viewed as abnormal, where, for gen X and before, dissent, even if it was also often commercialized, was valued.

In this day and age, you're considered hosed up if you can't enjoy these pre-formatted stories about your life and how great things are. It's like a big wave of possible dissention was coming, promising to wash away some of the bullshit, and then these idiots were born and just started making GBS threads more.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

blarzgh posted:

The biggest and maybe only real difference is that Millennials think "respect" means "giving/getting what you want." Older generations taught and learned that 'respect' means earning the trust and appreciation of others through hard work and honesty. To older generations, 'acceptance' as a part of life, in part because there will always be things that can't be changed, and in part because the value of the struggle is most often greater than the value of avoidance. Suffering through some hardships makes you better in the end. To Millennials, its a concept that's been inverted.

Millennials reject that notion, that anyone should ever have to face discomfort, failure, or disappointment of any kind. The leaders of their zeitgeist grew up never being told, "no" and the rest latch on to the notion, in response to whatever particular discomfort they'd like to avoid. The natural immutability of some things, like simple biology, or the inability to control other people's minds, causes the majority of the mental gymnastics in their philosophies.

I think older generations learned that occasional disappointment makes people stronger and better, and sometimes someone is going to tell you, "no." Millennials didn't.

this is accurate, except perhaps for valorizing not getting what you want, which can also make you a greedy fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

>8/31/2015, Miley Cirus comes out as pansexual

>9/1/2015, disabled pansexual gloomgender anime furries begin to infiltrate the general public

>2020, disabled pansexual gloomgender anime furries become the new ideal capitalist subjects as they attempt to commodify the internal void that is human subjectivity

>2025, Skynet becomes self aware, saves us all

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread