Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

420 Gank Mid posted:

Nothing speaks for "an entire country" so stop moving the goalposts

Please tell me more about when its OK to call someone of african descent a monkey as a means of political degradation and public humiliation.

I would never say its OK to call someone that. But if Mr.Hernandez wants to draw a cartoon about a leader that was known for censoring free speech, that his prerogative and I don't know if that makes that cartoonist inherently racist.

Have you actually looked at the full size cartoon? Can you explain me to any of the context of the symbols in the image?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

536 posted:

I would never say its OK to call someone that. But if Mr.Hernandez wants to draw a cartoon about a leader that was known for censoring free speech, that his prerogative and I don't know if that makes that cartoonist inherently racist.

Let me give you a quick cheat sheet

"If you're calling a black or african person an ape/monkey/non-human primate, its racist"

BigFactory posted:

Where are the goalposts?

The question asked was "Do you believe Boots Riley faked this racist cartoon?"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

420 Gank Mid posted:

The question asked was "Do you believe Boots Riley faked this racist cartoon?"

I can’t imagine that he did. What’s the larger takeaway?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

536 posted:

When did Boots Riley become some kind of definite source on anything? The guy is a Tienanmen Square truther.

gently caress that is disappointing. I love his movie and his speeches. I really hope this isn't true. :(

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This entire conversation is a red herring anyways. The only reason it was ever brought up in the first place is a ham handed attempt to draw a false equivalency between the anti-Maduro protesters and the far right in the US. It is not worth seriously engaging.

I mean, what's even the point? Anyone who has followed the protest movements knows the protesters aren't a shrieking crowd of racists. So do the people who periodically claim otherwise in this thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

punk rebel ecks posted:

gently caress that is disappointing. I love his movie and his speeches. I really hope this isn't true. :(

It appears he’s scrubbed his account since then (he does it periodically) but you can find people reacting to it with a quick search. Riley has routinely uncritically promoted and retweeted propaganda from TeleSUR, etc.

Edit: example conversation, click through for thread and direct ghouta truther stuff

https://mobile.twitter.com/bootsriley/status/1091129087219838976

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 31, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

536 posted:

Is calling someone a monkey inherently a racist insult? Is it still racist if the writer of the comic isn't white?

Do you understand the context of that specific cartoon?

in the specific Venezuelan context, there is in fact a racist association between African heritage and simian imagery. That is the conclusion of at least one scholar who studied modern Venezuelan media representations at least, and it is consistent with representations in other countries. Of course it's difficult extrapolating from these broad observations to the intentions of a specific image, without a solid understanding of the specific context, but it's something to keep in mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's still a very long walk from an old political cartoon of a dead man to dismissing all the opposition's criticisms of Maduro as being mindless racism. Because I think that was the central point that was being pushed here that hinged on the particular existence of racism in Venezuela?

It doesn't establish intensity or pervasiveness, and while the one article on a mob killing is severe, the article doesn't establish or even claim racial motivations, and it doesn't help that it links to Maduro comparing the opposition's treatment of his supporters to the holocaust, which is a statement that on its own is patently false. One mob killing in a country full of mob killings without a demonstrated racial pattern throughout any of them doesn't come anywhere close to establishing that the opposition are all racist monsters who should be ignored.

In fact, the way that it avoids most criticism of the regime while tacitly implying it's all bunk makes it seem like a cheap shot rather than earnest criticism.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Despite me being against Chavez and Maduro, yeah, the cartoons were racist. I can't say 100% whats the deal with Venezuelan brand of racism but in large parts of latin america is a perfidious blend of class, heritage, skin-tone and caste whose closest US analogue would be "colorism." Xenophobia against venezuelans here got bigger when poorer (and browner/blacker) venezuelans started coming and some whiter venezuelans I've talked to rail against their (((poorer))) compatriots. You see, when a dark skinned person in latin america is called a monkey, a lot of people laugh and don't consider it racist (despite being really racist) because they still consider that person "one of our own", unlike the segregated societies of the global north. That's why you get racism between siblings. But it's still really racist, causes a lot of social problems and foments discrimination because it regards whiter skin and european look as better and more desirable than darker skin and native/afro looks. I mean, we still can't get this guy out of TV

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone should tell Maduro now might be a bad time to start a war against Colombia

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/venezuela-alert-maduro-alleges-colombia-plot-attack-190904041627386.html

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The new season of Amazon's Jack Ryan decided to make Venezuela a nuclear rogue state or some poo poo:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1169657261465198593

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinteres posted:

The new season of Amazon's Jack Ryan decided to make Venezuela a nuclear rogue state or some poo poo:

When your television show is plagiarizing Call of Duty sequels from half a decade ago.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

When your television show is plagiarizing Call of Duty sequels from half a decade ago.

To be fair call of duty probably cribbed plenty from the C tier Tom clancy books.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Boots is a great artist but like a lot of smart successful dudes he doesn't know when it's time to put his dick away and listen.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Boots is an open and avowed communist, that's what both his music and his movie are about lol, I don't know what you were expecting. This has always been his fight and he's one of the only voices out there with a public platform opposing the US state department line on Venezuela.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Boots is a great artist but like a lot of smart successful dudes he doesn't know when it's time to put his dick away and listen.

His interview on Democracy Now! Was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCPvMNKvhE

Bob le Moche posted:

Boots is an open and avowed communist, that's what both his music and his movie are about lol, I don't know what you were expecting. This has always been his fight and he's one of the only voices out there with a public platform opposing the US state department line on Venezuela.

There are plenty of people on the far and extreme left who oppose Maduro and the PSUV. Hell, Adbusters ran a piece against the PSUV as far back as the early 2000s.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

punk rebel ecks posted:

far and extreme left
:rolleyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dismissing one government killing a couple thousand people for protesting really taints any future criticisms.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1169657261465198593

Congratuations to Fnox on his fancy new hollywood writer gig

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob le Moche posted:

You can be both an open and avowed communist, while also not being supportive of revisionist histories of communist countries which were slaughtering their own citizens. When Boots does the commie truther poo poo about Tienanmen square and such, it makes all of his other points look worse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get that solidarity is an important part of communism, but it's important to know who you're in solidarity with. I'd respectfully suggest that if you're stanning for some corrupt shitbird murdering and exploiting people weaker than themselves, you're probably not actually a communist, you're just another flavour of fash. Or maybe I actually should be marching and waving placards to defend the right of some creep like Martin Smith to rape fourteen-year-olds because he's the head of an ostensibly communist party, in which case, consider me enlightened.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Solidarity with comrades John Bolton and Elliott Abrams against the real fascist: Boots Riley

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tankies are not communists. They adopt the trappings of communism to push an authoritarian agenda.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Bob le Moche posted:

Solidarity with comrades John Bolton and Elliott Abrams against the real fascist: Boots Riley

So the fact that he apparently believes and espouses an idea that is completely counter to the historical record not bother you?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Giggle Goose posted:

So the fact that he apparently believes and espouses an idea that is completely counter to the historical record not bother you?

As a fan of Boots Riley's work, I can see how it would be bothersome if he were hired as a Chinese history professor or something like that, but part of growing up is learning to find value and camaraderie in people who believe silly or even objectively incorrect things. A majority of people around the world are religious, even today. Isaac Newton believed in alchemy. They still produce(d) great work.

Maybe the problem is that I don't quite see how Boots Riley's ideas about China are directly relevant to the ongoing crisis in Venezuela - can you elaborate on that? Is he the new opposition leader?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 6, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tankies are simply fascists with a huge fetish on statism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Maybe the problem is that I don't quite see how Boots Riley's ideas about China are directly relevant to the ongoing crisis in Venezuela - can you elaborate on that? Is he the new opposition leader?

If someone's a Tienanmen Square truther, that is a valid reason to assume they might not actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Venezuela either. It's the same logical reason you shouldn't trust anything Bolton or Abrams says about Venezuela either.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If someone's a Tienanmen Square truther, that is a valid reason to assume they might not actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Venezuela either. It's the same logical reason you shouldn't trust anything Bolton or Abrams says about Venezuela either.

I only saw someone posting a tweet where Boots Riley links to/screenshots some articles he didn't write, so I don't really see how Riley's credibility on any subject comes into the conversation.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I only saw someone posting a tweet where Boots Riley links to/screenshots some articles he didn't write, so I don't really see how Riley's credibility on any subject comes into the conversation.

Yeah, but you get the concept of there being some beliefs that are so odd that when you hear that someone subscribes to them it kinda makes you question everything else they believe, right? I’m talking like flat earth stuff or young earth creationism or even climate change denial. I don’t know if Tianamen square trutherism is the same kind of craziness but it’s odd to say the least.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Its a red herring to give people a fig leaf to put over the intense racism deeply intertwined with the anti-chavismo movement.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Its a red herring to give people a fig leaf to put over the intense racism deeply intertwined with the anti-chavismo movement.

You still have never addressed the maduro governments treatment of the indigenous population. I'm starting to think that you might actually be a decidedly disengenous person.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
As Newton believed in alchemy it doesn't call his mathematics into question per se, but it would render his opinion on chemistry suspect.

Likewise someone defending Tiananmen on the basis of left solidarity would kind of undermine the basis of their defending other nominally left governments.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

As Newton believed in alchemy it doesn't call his mathematics into question per se, but it would render his opinion on chemistry suspect.

Likewise someone defending Tiananmen on the basis of left solidarity would kind of undermine the basis of their defending other nominally left governments.

quote him saying that he's defending tiananmen solely on the basis of left solidarity and you're golden

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool? how the tiananmen square protests likely would never have happened had there not been a huge protest against african students months before

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I am skeptical of how effectively you can poll Venezuelans right now given the situation in the country and the amount of weighting you'd have to do to make up for people who aren't going to be reachable but I thought the following poll from back in June was nevertheless interesting, especially given the very strong number of people who think US sanctions are impacting their daily life.

The Miami Herald posted:

A new poll suggests that the five-month political stalemate in Venezuela is subtly helping Nicolás Maduro, as an increasing number of people acknowledge that he’s the country’s legitimate leader — despite the international recognition for his rival, Juan Guaidó.

A poll released by Datincorp over the weekend found 41 percent consider Maduro the country’s “constitutional president” versus 36 percent who say the same about Guaidó.

In February — a month after Washington and more than 50 other nations backed Guaidó as interim president — 49 percent believed the young politician was the country’s true leader, versus 34 percent who said the same about Maduro.

Even so, the poll also makes clear that Maduro, 57, remains deeply unpopular in a country seized by hyperinflation, electricity rationing and fuel shortages.

The study found that 40 percent of the population considers itself in the “opposition” versus 19 percent who say they are government supporters or “Chavistas,” the ruling party that follows ideology implemented by the late President Hugo Chávez. Thirty-eight percent say they are “non-aligned.”

If presidential elections were held now, Guaidó would win with 33 percent of the vote versus Maduro’s 16 percent. Opposition stalwarts Leopoldo López and Maria Corina Machado would win 11 percent and 4 percent, respectively.

But a full 18 percent said they wouldn’t vote for any of the likely candidates.

The survey of 1,200 people has a margin of error of 2.8 percent. Polls are viewed with suspicion in polarized Venezuela, but Datincorp has been in the business for three decades and its results have been reliable in the past. And the broad findings of the poll — that Guaidó is seeing his popularity slip even as Maduro remains deeply unpopular — have been backed up by other surveys.

The results also underscore how Venezuelans are increasingly focused on daily survival rather than the political struggle that has dominated headlines.

Respondents said the economy, healthcare and public services were the country’s top three most critical problems. The “political and institutional” crisis was in fifth place, tied with security.

The poll comes as Guaidó, the 35-year-old president of the National Assembly, has been struggling to turn international support into political power. In January, he declared himself interim president and in April he tried to seize control through a military uprising, only to see it fizzle.

Since then, Maduro has tightened his grip, jailing more than a dozen people for their role in the putsch.

It’s unclear how the impasse will be resolved. Initially, Washington suggested that outside military force wasn’t out of the question to bring Guaidó to power. It has walked back that idea since then. And the poll found that just 38 percent of Venezuelans believe a military intervention is possible versus the 54 percent who don’t think it will happen.

But there’s even more pessimism surrounding incipient negotiations taking place in Europe. According to the poll, only 23 percent believe those talks might lead to a resolution, while 66 percent said they would not be successful.

Washington’s efforts to oust Maduro have included ratcheting up economic and financial sanctions and taking aim at the country’s vital petroleum sector. While the State Department argues that those sanctions only hurt the government, and not the general population, 68 percent of those surveyed believed the measures had impacted their quality of life.

Maduro, who has been in power since 2013, argues that he has the right to rule through 2025 and that Guaidó is a U.S. puppet who is trying to illegally seize the presidency.

But 59 percent of those surveyed believe in Guaidó’s plan to force Maduro out of office, create a transitional government and call for new elections. And only 28 percent think that Maduro will serve out his full term.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda amazing how an entire page was spent accusing a dude of being a Tienamen truther, whatever the hell that even means, while no one being able to actually prove what the author actually said.

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Tankies are not communists. They adopt the trappings of communism to push an authoritarian agenda.
Tankies is a word liberals and anarchists use to attack literally any leftist and anti colonial figures who actually survive more than six months and topple local regimes instead of becoming martyrs with good intentions.

It's bizarre how a word that was born to accuse the supporters of the Soviet Union during Kruschev time is now used to attack anyone who talks about the USSR, China, Cuba or Vietnam without accusing them of being fascists or whatever the gently caress Ultras believe in 2019.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mans posted:

Kinda amazing how an entire page was spent accusing a dude of being a Tienamen truther, whatever the hell that even means, while no one being able to actually prove what the author actually said.

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1136111035511762946

A Tienanmen square truther is someone who doesn't believe the worldwide common historical record of that protest and slaughter of citizens by the Chinese government. Its like the far-left version of being a holocaust denier. Its a similar brain worms as being an Holodomor denier. Some people can't think beyond the "communism = good" and therefore no commie government has every done anything wrong.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Aren't you attacking someone's credibility based on their beliefs in something stupid, then using actual nazi propaganda words like the "holodomor"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

536 posted:

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1136111035511762946

A Tienanmen square truther is someone who doesn't believe the worldwide common historical record of that protest and slaughter of citizens by the Chinese government. Its like the far-left version of being a holocaust denier. Its a similar brain worms as being an Holodomor denier. Some people can't think beyond the "communism = good" and therefore no commie government has every done anything wrong.

I read through the article. Simply in the listed credentials and the place it was published, the man seems credible. Is there a response to the original 1998 article available?

E: the argument presented by Jay Matthews is that there was little or no killing within the square itself, though there were hundreds killed in other places later that day. But there were myths and obvious false claims repeated uncritically by Western press about massacres within the square itself. Is that incorrect?

And what does it have to do with Boots Riley pointing out what seems like a pretty racist "Chavez is an ape" cartoon?

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Aren't you attacking someone's credibility based on their beliefs in something stupid, then using actual nazi propoganda words likr the "holodomor"

What the gently caress is wrong with you