Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Just popping into the thread to say I'm in Puerto Ayacucho on fieldwork at the moment (I posted a little in the previous thread) and poo poo here is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

When I return to London I will try to make an effortpost about my experiences in the sticks of Venezuela - news and discussion tends to get rather Caracas-centric (Táchira notwithstanding)

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I was in Venezuela for six weeks this summer and HOO BOY do I have anecdotes

But seriously, poo poo is terrible.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Chuck Boone posted:

You were doing (archaeology or geography...?) work there, right? I'd be really interest to hear what you experienced there.

Yeah, archaeology. I haven't forgotten the promised effortpost (from like page 2 or something) but the start of the semester is always hectic.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Somewhere dirty

I imagine if someone from a first world country came here and drank our tap water they'd get the shits for a week

Late, but I've spent two months and a half out of the last seven in Venezuela and have only had the shits once, and it wasn't from the water - I guess I have an allergy to acaí and related plants (e.g. seje). I work in the Puerto Ayacucho area, and we get our water from big, 25 liter bottles from a local distillery. In Caracas I'm in the IVIC (AND I NEVER LEAVE THE IVIC unless to go to Maiquetía) and the water has seemed fine to me.

poo poo is hosed though, I'm not looking forward to our last round of fieldwork in January 2017. They closed the Mercal in Pto. Ayacucho this week, and although totally dysfunctional, that place was like a lifeline for many people. I envision starvation.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Labradoodle posted:

On a different subject from my regular venting, I thought I'd try my luck here to see if anyone has any helpful leads. One of my best friends is a brilliant electrical engineer who's currently about to lose his job since Schlumberger is bailing out of the country (alongside Halliburton) and while I'm a pro at freelancing, I've got no clue where a proper professional could turn to in order to find a new job. Do any of you know which are the best places where he could upload his resume or otherwise look for a new job overseas?

Come to Norway, we're always looking for engineers (although the oil crash has dampened that somewhat). Tell your buddy to check out https://www.nav.no

So, uh, I never did that effortpost on my archaeological fieldwork in Pto. Ayacucho in August (and we returned in February-March for a second round). Our university, however, has a short write-up and video here

Edit: I'd be happy to answer any questions about our research

Vlex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 24, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

To follow up on the NA deputies speaking in Canada, on the other side of the pond the recent protests and scarcity have been getting some coverage , which is uncommon in the British press.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

More from The Atlantic, by two Venezuelans.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Wow. Hope no new weird plagues got started.

EDIT: Is the Zika crisis as serious as the article makes it sound? It seems like it'd be a sideshow compared to all the other crises.

The crisis was just breaking and making international headlines when I was in Amazonas January-March this year, and based on my extremely limited interaction with the good people of Puerto Ayacucho in that time, I heard of one case. I imagine it's much worse now, but (and I'm completely going out on a limb here) the extreme dryness of the climate this year might have ameliorated the spread so far by denying A. aegypti breeding grounds.

For instance, the quickest route between Caracas and Pto. Ayacucho involves going on a barge over the Orinoco via a little shitstain of a town called Puerto Paez. The waiting area for the ferry in August (end of wet season) was thick with huge mosquitos, which left me with bites whose marks you can still see. By contrast, crossing the same point in January I wasn't touched by them. So that might be having something of an effect.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The Guardian are asking Venezuelans to share their stories about life in the country.

It's small comfort but this might (sadly) be the best way for some of you Venegoons to get your voices heard.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Time to campaign and translate everything my friends have to share. If I can get my doctor friend to publicly open up about the "Colosseum Tuesdays" on his emergency unit that would be pretty sweet.

Act fast, these calls tend to close quite quickly.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

fnox posted:

So I bought my plane ticket today, I'm leaving at the 6th of July. $910 bucks, Caracas-Bogota-Madrid, wasn't cheap at all, plus the flight from Madrid to Copenhagen, then a train from Copenhagen to Kristianstad is $200 more on top of that. And then $1200 in advance for 4 months of rent. It takes nearly all my savings just to get there.

Now I'm trying to find a way to stay there, I urgently need a job that doesn't pay pennies or I'll have to return in a couple of months.

If you are ever in Stavanger, I'll buy you a beer.

Hell, several beers.

edit: Your education begins now. Beer is expensive as gently caress here, so this is a big deal.

edit2: durrrr you're going to Sweden not Norway

Vlex fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 19, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I have a vague recollection that some tens of pages back there were some Colombians, Argentines and Peruvians in here posting about how many Venezuelans are in their respective countries all of a sudden.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

For sending/receiving internationally in Venezuela, I use DHL.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

So set up some extra-territorial medical aid camps in Colombia, organize a militia, take and hold territory, and make Venezula functional again. It is up to the Venezuelan expatriate community to arm and organize themselves, so loving do it if you want to see suffering end in your country.

Or don't, and watch your friends and family starve to death as the dumpsters run out of scraps. Your choice.

Jesus Christ your gimmick is stale.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Colombia has a far more modern military that, importantly (sadly), also knows how to fight a war.

From what I've seen first hand of the Venezuelan military, including the GNB, it's mostly kids whose balls have only just dropped being ordered around by big shot rear end in a top hat officers. I've never seen anything more complicated than an AK-74 being handled by these shmoes.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

loving CS playing nerds seizing on the AK-47 comment rather than the substantial and real point that the Venezuelan armed forces are poorly trained, ill-disciplined, corrupt, as well as composed of and run by idiots. The last thing the country needs is any 'intervention' from them.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Chuck Boone posted:

I'm actually pretty nervous about this because I might have to go to Venezuela to do research in the near future.

Out of interest, what kind of research and where in the country? I may have some pertinent advice.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

fnox posted:

Luis Almagro has now confirmed there will be an emergency session of the OAS to decide whether or not to apply the Democratic Charter to Maduro's government. It appears they do have the 18 votes to suspend Venezuela after all.

So much for Maduro's 'charm offensive' in the Caribbean

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

fnox posted:

Today the following things happened, in order (this all happens one day after the city nearly collapsed due to food riots):

• Primero Justicia did a protest in Sabana Grande bringing two donkeys with them that symbolized Maduro and the CNE directors. What was going through their loving heads when they thought of this, I don't know, not the first time they did something this stupid. They also twitterbotted the hashtag #RevocaAlBurro (recall the donkey) into relevance.
  • The police show up, they pepper spray and hit the donkeys, god knows why, perhaps that's the only way they know of doing things.
  • The police arrest the donkeys, taking them away.
  • Somebody in the office tries to convince me that I should stay in the country.

People who call García Marquez magical realism haven't spent enough time in Latin America

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

M. Discordia posted:

I'll put 20% odds on this one: The U.S. is going to pull a Noriega and kidnap Venezuela's entire cabinet to stand trial for drug trafficking because our government truly does not care one way or the other what goes on in Venezuela. There is no CIA coup, conversely the level of interest among American officials in what any international body thinks about Venezuela's sovereignty is absolutely zero. Obama does not give one poo poo what anyone in Venezuela thinks of him, nor does Clinton (nor does Trump but if he knows where Venezuela is on a map I'd be surprised). That would be the only appropriate ending to this farce -- intervention for reasons that have nothing to do with anyone's ideological struggle.

I thought we moved past the Clancy-level masturbatory fantasies a few pages ago?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

These exist? Wow.

Yeah. I have one, given to me as a gift by our ex-Chavista guide in Amazonas. Probably doesn't want to be seen wearing it if I were to guess. I wear it to the gym sometimes but haven't recently. It also says "CHAVISTA POR SIEMPRE" across the shoulders. I don't want to be "that guy" on the Tube getting confronted by a Venezuelan expat who had to deal with that so it mostly lives in the back of my t-shirt drawer.

I also have a "SOMOS LA FUERZA DE AMAZONAS" shirt which dates to the National Assembly elections last year. It looks and feels like those sweat-wicking super-porous running t-shirts but boy howdy it doesn't breathe one bit and clings to you like a motherfucker when you sweat. Aside from a literal reindeer skin suit, I can't think of anything worse to wear in Amazonas state. I nearly died wearing it for a whole day while surveying rock art sites along the Orinoco.

Edit, with photographic evidence

Vlex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

El Hefe posted:

The funny thing about that shirt is that Amazonas are currently the only state without representation in the National Assembly because the PSUV are loving scum who don't give a poo poo about the constitution.

Well duh, the back of the shirt says "Chavista por siempre" too. No Chavistas were elected in Amazonas, ergo no representation. Checkmate imperialist lapdogs, shirts don't lie. :smugdog:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Clown version of most subjects imo. One of the locals working with our team in Pto. Ayacucho asked our Colombian PhD student with a straight face (but seemingly no malice) "por que los Colombianos no quieren ser nuestros hermanos?"

Turns out there is a version of "the Jews killed Jesus" being taught in Venezuelan schooling, subbing out Jews with Colombians and Jesus with Simón Bolivar.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It's bizarre actually how none of the Venezuelans I have on Facebook (all "working class" people, and youngish) are complaining at all about the situation in the country. I suppose they're all in Puerto Ayacucho, which at least has the advantage of a very active black market with Puerto Carreño/Casuarito on the other side of the river, which might explain why they don't appear to be suffering...they post about the same poo poo my friends at home post about : girls, TV, and memes. It's weird.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Chuck Boone posted:

I seem to remember that NTN24, which is a Colombian news network, was/is blocked in Venezuela. It'd be interesting if Venegoons could run down a list of websites and tell us if they're blocked or not. The other one I would expect to be blocked is dolartoday.com, which publishes the black market US dollar exchange rate.

No, I could access dolartoday just fine in both Caracas and Pto. Ayacucho last time I was there. YouTube was blocked in the IVIC for some reason though last time, 12 months ago it was still accessible.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Reading between the lines of the opposition rhetoric over a long period of time is a little sad at this point..."Now democracy has died in Venezuela, oh wait no NOW it has...just hang on a minute...oh wait no nnnnnnow! OK now. This time."

In personal news, my boss wants us to return to Amazonas for our final season of fieldwork in Puerto Ayacucho - this time involving camping for weeks at a time on the highly active (in terms of smuggling and [para]military) Orinoco frontier with Colombia. Fun fun fun.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Lol Vlex I hope you're getting paid a poo poo load of money

I work in academia, to give you an idea of how not worth it this is to me. My plan from now until the point at which we have to start making decisions about fieldwork timetables (mid-November) is to feed my boss occasional updates about how absolutely jodido it is at the moment in your country. You guys have been a great help in that regard.

The irony is not lost on me that most Venezuelans in this thread are trying to leave, while for some retarded reason I'm trying to get in, stay in a hammock in the wilds of the Orinoco for five weeks, and somehow not starve, get kidnapped, or straight-up murdered by the various vested interests in the Amazonas region (smugglers, illegal miners, bored kids, narcotraficantes, the police, like four branches of the military, the GNB, you get the idea).

edit: one of the minerals that Amazonas happens to have in relative abundance is called coltan (cobalt-tantalum or something?), its components are used a lot in electronics. It's an extremely valuable and violently contested resource. You get at it by making big deep pits in sandy or sandy-silty soils which are common along the Orinoco. Guess what an archaeological excavation looks like to an untrained eye?

Vlex fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I'm not leaving just yet, but thankfully at least now I can do it if I want to / need to.

Tbh I don't know how this country is still functioning, there are news reports that banks aren't going to be able to handle the demand for money next month with the minimum wage increase coupled with the insane inflation rate. Banks already don't let you cash checks worth more than Bs. 20000 and the minimum wage next month is going to be more than that.

This is another major concern we face - all salaries for our workers in the field are of course in cash and we can't pay them in USD because they don't have the means or contacts to change them into BsF. "Backpacks of cash" is not an exaggeration, in fact, we had suitcases. No nice crisp bills either, these were universally tattered, wrecked little pieces of flimsy paper that somehow were still in circulation.

A 500 and 1000 BsF note, while doing nothing to actually alleviate the underlying problem, would at least make everything logistically far less problematic. We cleaned our black market dealer out of 100 BsF notes...by changing 400 USD.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Are there any indications that this is going to be anything beyond the wet farts the MUD have managed to organise before?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

fnox posted:

Because this is quickly turning into something beyond what the MUD had planned for, and it will be far too much for them to contain if they don't adapt to the will of the people. I'm hearing reports everywhere of bosses giving people a day off on the 1st of September which they hadn't done since the riots in 2014, even at relatively innocuous places that are far from the planned route like the software company I worked at in Los Palos Grandes.

Yes, that's what people keep saying, but where is the evidence of this?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Also looks like it has a few mm of tread left, hoo boy let me tell you about the time we drove down a back road in Amazonas state in torrential rain on tires which were essentially air-filled tubes!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Saladman posted:

Why would anyone steal old tires anyway? Is that a thing you can even easily sell for more than like two dollars a dozen? I live in one of the world's most expensive countries, and a full set of 4 brand new normal tires here is around $200. I threw away 4 tires last year that were bald as poo poo and they still looked better than the photo posted above.

I mean, aren't there junk yards literally chock-full of worn (but not completely useless) tires in almost every country in the entire world? You could probably even get many countries to pay YOU to take their old tires. FFS, I had to pay $20 to dispose of my old (but reasonably functional) ones.

Edit: Actually I guess they steal the whole wheel and not just the tires, but still, I don't see how there's any significant market for that either. Unless you get in a car wreck, I've never heard of anyone having to replace their car's entire wheel.

Edit 2: Also why don't they just steal the whole car? It seems like for all that effort it's like breaking into a bank vault and stealing all of the bank's Bic pens and leaving the cash.

Because there are no god drat tires in the country. If you don't have a means of personal transportation, you're screwed, to a much greater extent than in north America.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Oh jeez, my boss is arriving in Caracas this afternoon (local time) and needs to make his way to Los Teques. Stay safe venegoons!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Bit late for that I'm afraid, he's currently somewhere over the Atlantic and is one of those marvelously professorial types who doesn't own a mobile phone. We made backup plans however, so he'll be fine.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

So is Caracas still overflowing with people or was the sabotage successful in keeping potential participants out of the city?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

How you posting? Ghost internet.

Look at this scrub who doesn't phonepost.

Re: (in)efficiency and brain drain in the Venezuelan petroleum industry, I can confirm first-hand that Norway has quite a few Venezuelan oil engineers that were either poached or moved their under their own power.

Very few people able to work the system are left, and basically all of them are apparently in the tank for PSUV. Not that I would know, but so I hear.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Oh yeah, I can confirm that research permits in Latin America are works of art in this regard due to their relentless repetition.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Saladman posted:

In Switzerland near where I used to live, a Venezuelan family just moved here and set up a Venezuelan restaurant. I didn't ask if they moved from Venezuela directly, or from somewhere else though, but that's the first Venezuelan restaurant I've ever seen in Europe outside of Spain. (Not that I've looked very hard.)

Good luck on your impending escape, Labradoodle. Hopefully you don't end up anywhere where the average D&D communist makes up a significant portion of your local friend base.

There are a number of Venezuelan food trucks and restaurants popping up here in London. One, Guasacaca, is owned by a Caraceño who, last time I spoke to him, was going home to vote in the National Assembly elections. Didn't ask him who he was voting for.

In personal news, I will be spending a month and a half in Amazonas on fieldwork in early 2017! Hope I get lucky and find some coltan, then I might have something to bargain with when the mining gangs/GNB/navy come for me! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

What do the new bills look like? I'm imagining the old 100 BsF bills with "20K" scrawled on them in red crayon.