Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

BeigeJacket posted:

Doesn't Cabellos name translate as something like 'Beautiful Hair' in English?

What an age we live in.
Season 3 of Narcos is going to take a really weird turn...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

lol if rubio is assassinated its cause for war

This may actually be the reason Trump mentioned the military option. Rubio is one of Trump's closest advisors on Venezuela. He's the reason Trump met with Leopoldo Lopez's wife at the White House. Trump had to have known about this long before the story hit the media.
EDIT:

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 14, 2017

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

loving hell, if a high-ranking Chavista ordered a hit on Rubio that's a better casus belli than the U.S. has had against another nation since World War Two.

This is the PSUV, they absolutely can be this loving stupid.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

This speech might be one of the other reasons Cabello is so pissed off at Rubio. It also contains a warning to Maduro that he might be overthrown by others in the PSUV when he is no longer useful to them. One of the most likely candidates to carry that out is Cabello himself.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/893154320249704449
Full speech here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBKrmHX-HzI

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 14, 2017

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Here's your article:
1) His cronies stole billions
2) Oil stopped being expensive

3. He nationalized countless numbers of businesses and handed them off to his cronies, who either 1. looted them for anything that was worth stealing 2. ran them into the ground through sheer incompetence. Occasionally a combination of both occurred.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Chuck Boone posted:

Maduro is giving a speech today at noon EST time that I think might have something to do with those "society-shaking" measures he said he was going to take. The government is playing up the address as "an international press conference", which I think just means that it'll be streamed online? I don't know. The Minister of Communication even tweeted this helpful schedule yesterday, showing the times at which the speech would be broadcast in Mexico City, London, Madrid and Moscow times so that the entire peoples of the earth would know exactly when to turn on their TVs to catch the speech:

https://twitter.com/VillegasPoljak/status/899790528098828288

If you want to catch the speech, you'll probably be able to watch it here.

Oh yeah :eng101: thanks for pointing all of that out.

Epale, camarada! Bienvenido!

I like how they dressed him up. It looks like one of those glamour shots you could get taken at an Olan Mills portrait studio in a Kmart.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 23, 2017

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

As part of the sanctions imposed after Sunday's "election", the US has frozen all of Diosdado Cabello's US financial and business assets, and Marco Rubio is trolling him on twitter.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/997564523191128065
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/22/rubio-venezuela-trump-plot-602658

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean Bolivia did a similar economic model to Venezuela and isn't on fire.

fishmech posted:

Last I checked Bolivia didn't decide to allow all their oil/natural gas and mining infrastructure to fall apart. So, not the same economic model as Venezuela.

Bolivia is stable compared to Venezuela, but there were widespread protests running up to Evo Morales' referendum on presidential term limits that spread into early 2018. Still, nothing compared to the Maduro regime, mainly because Morales has decided not to loot the entire economy for personal gain.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 25, 2018

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

qkkl posted:

A monarchy might be the best form of government for countries that possess enough of an easily exploitable resource like oil that it can single-handedly fund the country. The monarch would be incentivized to share the oil wealth with ALL his subjects to keep them all happy, since a vast majority of them would be supportive of the monarchy.

A government that has an electable head-of-state would inevitably split the country into two parties, and the parties would run on promises to give more of the oil wealth to their supporters, so in the end the oil wealth will not be evenly distributed among the population. The two-party system would also make it easier for the leaders to steal oil profits for themselves because they could tell their supporters that if the opposition was in power then they'd get even less of the oil wealth. The situation is similar to the "Pirate game" where the captain gets 98% of the money while two crew members gets 1% and the other two get nothing.

Source your quotes.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I met my first Venezuelan exile earlier today at a Mexican supermarket in a town over from me. He got out in late 2017, came here to Ohio where he had family.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

The US is sending a hospital ship(s) to Colombia and possibly other countries bordering Venezuela by the fall to help with the refugee crisis.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pentagon-prepares-to-dispatch-hospital-ship-to-colombia-amid-refugee-crisis/

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Squalid posted:

If you keep dairy cows alive instead of slaughtering them they can produce more food in the long term than if you eat them in their prime.

I keep remembering that post someone made about feasting on delicious goose flesh instead of waiting for the golden eggs. It’s like the perfect metaphor for the Venezuelan economy.

Just like all the GM cars and Kimberly Clark paper products the PSUV is churning out from the factories they expropriated, oh wait...

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

Maduro must have been to the mad max/fallout type future if he thinks everything is peaceful and happy. Its the only future that looks like modern day Venezuela.

Dictators must have some real cognitive dissonance to think they won't be like all the others that ended up meeting violent ends when things finally go south on them one day. With the exception of Franco and a few others, it's not exactly a long term, stable proposition for a long life and peaceful retirement.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 23, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

What the hell happened to this thread?

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 20, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

This doesn't look good...
https://twitter.com/cristiancrespoj/status/1098774895855583233
https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1098778810735050753
Apparently a bus carrying GNB officers started firing on civilians making their way to the aid convoy near Barinas.
EDIT:
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1098781205430964224

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 22, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The President is getting his empanadas from somewhere.

He has an empanada replicator in his desk drawer.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Is this something that happens in a normal, democratic society?
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1101149013066293248
You loving tankies just don't stop.
The USSR, the main target of Reagan era containment policy in Central and south America no longer exists.

Cuba is basically a Castro Family Oligarchy overseeing a crumbling tankie theme park that depends on all-inclusive drink-till-you-puke resorts for fat, dumpy Canadians and Europeans, rum, and tobacco exports to survive.

Leftist governments in Bolivia and Nicaragua are collapsing under their own authoritarian weight.

The people of Venezuela don't deserve the same fate. They deserve a free, interim Government that has the resources to administer free elections.
The 80s are over. The Soviets lost. Get Over it.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 3, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

EdithUpwards posted:

code:
You copy pasted this, as evinced by the weird formatting errors that kept despite the correction of whatever board software SA's using today. The weird blend of irrelevant info intended to disconcert with put-downs, lies, and weird triumphalism indicate that you think you're owning people. The fact that you think containment was something Reagan cooked up rather than the purpose of the cold war indicate you're not really a history buff, but think you are.

Anyway, has anyone else reading the quoted post felt the compulsion to DEMOCRATIZE the gently caress out of Luxembourg, Monaco, Malta, et all?

What exactly are you accusing me of doing? I'm just sick of people in this thread constantly trying to re-litigate the cold war and use it to deny agency to people who are absolutely being oppressed by a dictatorship, all because US=BAD.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 4, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

No super power is good and moral, but I'll wager the USA has done a poo poo load more harm to other countries than either china or Russia for the last 100 years.

Are we living in the same reality?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

The tanks apparently contained highly volatile petroleum distillates that are mixed with Venezuela’s sludge-like crude to make it more desirable and capable of being pumped through pipelines. Considering how badly the infrastructure is maintained, a rogue spark from a worn out pump bearing or something probably set it off.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 14, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Squalid posted:

This could be real bad for Venezuela. The article says those tanks were for storing the diluent necessary to pump Venezuela's ultra heavy crude. Without diluents their production capacity plummets. Reports were that their supplies of napthas were already critically low, if this explosion destroyed much of their reserve supply or if it will impede imports it could cause yet another precipitous drop in Venezuelan oil exports.

Napthas are extremely light, and evaporate quickly at room temperatures, creating lots of flammable vapor. Think paint thinner, or Coleman camp fuel aka "white gas". It's frankly amazing that this hasn't happened to PDVSA before considering how badly the infrastructure is maintained and how poorly the PDVSA workforce is trained.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 14, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Ah, I stand corrected on the gases involved. This reminds me of a specific case, then (though ofc there are massive differences, mostly an excuse to post a CSB vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a96kriSo6EQ

Here's one that actually involved a Naphtha explosion at a US refinery in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCfNau54h6I

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Wow it's amazing how two lovely posters getting hosed up makes this thread have about 10x less posts an hour. :toot:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article227844739.html

Looks like Cuba's about to be thrown under the bus by the US, and, entertainingly, possibly Venezuela as well.

Wow, apparently PDVSA has been buying the oil to ship to Cuba from Rostneft and selling it at a loss since at least 2017.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

Where does your assertion that they’re “selling at a loss” come from? The article says the pdsva has been buying oil, but it doesn’t put a sticker price on the medical services Cuba is providing.

On a side note, I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that thread regulars are cheering guaido attempting to cut medical services to his country for petty reasons in the middle of an already present medical services shortage in said country

It says right in the article that they are buying the oil from Rostneft at a price above the subsidized rate at which they then turn around and resell it to Cuba.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

The Cuban government may be quite bad on a number of different levels, but I still believe they honestly think they have the people's best interests at heart and try to act in accordance with that, even if we recognize they've hosed up a lot. Also they aren't quite as staggeringly loving incompetent as Maduro.

I’m not a fan of the Cuban government, but even I have to admit that they’re wildly more competent than The PSUV.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

It’s probably it’s democratically elected leader, Maduro, and not Venezuelan Chalabi.

Especially since Guaido has no support outside foreign FASCISTS, even after staging the truck fire false flag and coordinating with the US to destroy the Venezuelan state.

You, and a number of other posters in this thread have overused and misused this term to the point that it's become absolutely meaningless in the context of what's currently going on in Venezuela.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 20, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I would say Guiado clearly does have a strong base of support, but it was also clear the vast majority of the population stayed on the sidelines either for their own safety or simply their own choice. It could be the choice of the population is “none of the above.”

Average Venezuelans are out there with all they've got, eg rocks, bottles, slingshots, and Molotov Cocktails. The majority of the civilian population has been disarmed since Chavez banned the private ownership of firearms in 2012. Of course this does not apply to the Colectivos or random criminal gangs that said "gently caress that" and continued to rob, rape, murder, and kidnap people with impunity ever since.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 1, 2019

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It also leaves the country at an impasse and in that case Maduro stays in power by default.

Also, what was the big issue with the CEPR report?

The opposition also clearly had its own weaponry and firefights were happening.

It is pretty clear the vast majority of the population decided to stay home, as I said.

The opposition with firearms are the factions of the Army and SEBIN that defected, not average people.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

From what I can tell now, Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera, The head of SEBIN, the Cuban backed secret police, decided to defect to Guaido, and SEBIN released Leopoldo Lopez, thinking that a larger uprising was about to happen. Apparently the GNB and SEBIN are now fighting in the streets.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

cargo cult posted:

is guiado white or mestizo? or is he white by venezuelan standards?

Jesus christ, the "anti-imperialists" in this thread seem to be super obsessed with racial purity.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera, he former head of SEBIN who defected in April Just turned up in the US and has a lot to talk about.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.f3f644bb06d3

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

explaining why requires more detail and effort than it frankly deserves, but short answer yes, it plays differently to specifically conservative amurkans

edit fine i'll give the super-short version

- Cuba has been exporting communist revolution across the hemisphere and is on the brink of taking over Mexico
- the Hezbollah Stuff is pretty weird but venezuela is obviously a major hub of international islamic terrorism

I find the Hezbollah stuff far more interesting viz a viz Maduro & Pals' potential involvement in organized crime and international drug trafficking. If they have any relationship it at all it would most likely be one of convenience, IE, the PSUV needs hard currency and Hezbollah needs some cocaine to sell, not some wingnut fantasy Breitbart headline like MADURO WELCOMES HASAN NASRALLAH TO BUILD ISLAMIC TERROR BASES IN SOUTH AMERICA!!!
Hezbollah has been involved in the glamour profession for a long time now.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

The ghost of Walter Duranty has entered the thread.