Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Azran posted:

I will never get tired of listening to people who insist Chavez's cancer was the US' fault. "They might have messed with radiowaves" said the same teacher that told me Pearl Harbor was an inside job to make Japan look bad.

And I thought the guy I knew who claimed the US knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

I think there may have been a little more to it than that.

Also that article makes a hell of lot of unsupported assertions for what is supposed to be a serious investigative piece. But hey that's Jacobin for you.

You'd think they'd start switching to bashing Maduro while continuing to praise Chavez if the really wanted to keep that dream alive, because the situation is somehow going to get more indefensible after the elections. I understand the need to believe that there is actually a decent, fair regime out their somewhere keeping the flame of the revolution alive, especially through the neoliberalism of the past 20+ years, but you have to accept reality at some point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I know very little about economics, but why hasn't the government implemented a rationing system to try and deal with at least some of this?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And subsidizing the money lost with each price-controlled product isn't an option anymore because there's no money to begin with.

How did Venezuela mismanage their way into having to import so much of their food and what's stopping them from climbing out of it (Besides the whole lack of money)?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

wiregrind posted:

I wonder if they even realise that they don't represent "the people" anymore. "The people" want them out.

Maduro straight up insulted "the people" after the election. They know their support is limited and they're trying keep power without tipping things into outright rebellion. The rumors about the army not being willing to go to bat for them might be part of that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

M. Discordia is as dumb as Borneo Jimmy but as long as both keep posting here we need the counterbalance.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fnox posted:

They've referred to Chavez as the "Galactic Commander" before.

I'm starting to think your leaders are less heinously corrupt and incompetent and more actually insane.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think south america/ the US will step in if it gets North Korea level of dictatorship/poverty like. at least covertly.

Absolutely, this is a new refugee crisis in the making. Do Venezuela's neighbors have any plans for what happens if the state totally fails?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Christ I feel so helpless. Is there a charity we could contribute to to get people out of the country or could we set up some sort of fund to at least evacuate you guys?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Actually it is San Pedro Sula, followed by Juarez, both under control of ideological allies of the MUD

Respond to the rest of his post.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Like most of the third world you racist elists AmeriKKKan bastard!

(How the gently caress is AmeriKKKan supposed to be pronounced anyway?)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NLJP posted:

Well, I mean sure but having said that, Russian Cursive exists:

edit:

This is why we won the Cold War.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I remember all the obituaries of Chavez basically fellating him back in 2013, but I imagine there was more than that. I knew he was a dictator no matter what he said, despite some (low-info) sympathy towards him during the Iraq War.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I feel less and less enthused with leftism in general as people continue to stick up for the Chavistas. How can they not see what's happening here? Even the "Maduro ruined everything" narrative falls apart as soon as you talk to a Venezuelan.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nah that seems pretty true.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If there were more examples of non-monstrous leftist regimes I'd feel better about things, but the only things I can think of are social democratic in nature. I guess that's why I've identified as one for a long time?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Munin posted:

Conversely a sound appreciation for the likes of Pinochet, Franco, Aliyev and the like and how you can do business with these types is part and parcel of the conservative political scene which has rather more influence than the twitterati.

I would also seriously contest that neo-Nazis are currently universally excluded from mainstream society given the success of parties which were founded by Nazis and or are generally far right in several countries.

Yeah I was thinking more of America and its dogwhistling, Europe loves the far-right.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Well, what's the movie?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well except the United States. You have to work two or three jobs to afford basic amenities there.

Go away Borneo Jimmy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Discordia is more than a little a biased, though I think rags like Jacobin are still on the Chavista train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Even then a lot of poo poo the Chavista regime was doing was indefensible.