Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Nice rudimentary fasces.

Lol. We have less than a hundred refugees and they want to leave because of the economy, I don't think they'll be too happy in Venezuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

According to one of the observers who went to Venezuela, they have been notified by the CNE that if they step into a voting circuit they will be commiting a "serious misconduct"

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I should have posted this article earlier, I find it hard to believe to be honest. I can't imagine an electoral system as hosed up as the one described in the article.

http://www.elpais.com.uy/informacion/mirada-uruguaya-insolito-mundo-electoral.html

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

How do you think Maduro will respond to his party's near-inevitable loss?

"I told you the process was clean as proved by our 0.0000001 point loss"

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I am all for having more people vote (I'm a fan of mandatory voting ala Australia and Brazil), what could the PSUV possibly gain from having centers open? There is already record turnout.

Well, according on the article I posted last night there's no way to prevent a single person voting over a hundred times, so they might have a guy voting for hours while people stand in line without ever going in.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

CalmDownMate posted:

It strikes me as strange that Venezuela doesn't have oil refineries seeing as both Ecuador and Colombia do.

Hell, we (Uruguay) have one and we don't even have oil.

What could a new government do about the money Chavez and Maduro have squandered to buy support in the rest of South America? The only guy I've heard mention it was Capriles. There's lots of people nervous around here about not being able to sell you "books" at $1K a pop anymore, though.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

AstraSage posted:

Can you please elaborate on what do you mean by "books"?
Usually when we in Venezuela heard anything about importing from Uruguay, it was about food like Cheese, Soy-based Products or something like that.

I mean this http://www.noticias24.com/actualidad/noticia/79592/investigan-extrana-exportacion-de-libros-desde-uruguay-a-venezuela/

That's just the first link I found. I'm on my phone. They were actually books but massively overpriced.

There was similar things with prefab houses and the presidents son starting a software company, selling at least 10 million dollars in software to your government and closing down the company in just a month.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I know but we are an insignificantly small country and even then we got hundreds of millions from Venezuela. I can't even imagine how much did the bigger countries get in exchange for their support.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Traveller posted:

How does that work? Does some random PSUV committee go out on the internet and decide that yes, shoving propaganda down goons' throats is a good way to spend money?

Well, they thought giving money to Danny Glover was necessary so...

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I find the Mercosur thing hard to believe. Who's going to vote against them other than Paraguay obviously? Almagro is being called a traitor by people in government mainly by the super humble piece of poo poo Mujica.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Somaen posted:

I've never read a bad thing about Mujica, what is your beef with him?

He was the worst president this side of 1985 by some distance.
  • received the country in good shape and left the worst deficit in history, current government is about to raise income taxes to cover for this
  • said that our country getting Guantanamo prisoners was a matter of solidarity, he later said he did it because the US promised to open the US market to our orange exports.
  • kept making speeches against consumerism while incentivizing(?) it locally and now the economy is going to the shitter and the poor are in debt.
  • gave everything he could to foreign companies while making it difficult for local companies to compete.
  • scratched off a 100M USD tax debt to the biggest mobster in the country.
  • The biggest corruption scandal in the history of the country happened during his government and he covered it up by starting the marijuana legalization (our national airline went bankrupt and the government organized a fake auction to sell its assets to a company that didn't exist, the Minister of economy had to resign but His Humbleness came out without a scratch even after admitting he made the calls to make it happen).
  • The state owned companies (all of them but mostly ANCAP and ANTEL) spent a lot of money in advertising despite being monopolic. They were used to promote the government and to try to make the people running them viable candidates for the presidency. As a result ANCAP went bust and had to be rescued by the government for 700M USD.

I could keep going but this makes me mad as hell. The worst part is that I voted for him.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Can't Venezuelans enter Mercosur countries without passports? I know I don't need it to go to Mercosur + Chile. It's not the US but it's also not Venezuela.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

There are a lot of Venezuelans here lately which means things have to be pretty bad there.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

El Hefe posted:

Whatever Chavez did he did it because he was a totalitarian and he wanted unlimited power, he never did for the good of the people.

He did good for some people, mainly foreign politicians.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

surrender posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but what are the possibilities for emigration to somewhere else in South (or Central) America? My cousin moved from Caracas to Bogota a couple of years back, but his wife already had Colombian citizenship through one of her parents.

Most people who can get to Uruguay can get an ID and papers pretty fast. The bad part is that you would be in Uruguay.

There are a lot of Venezuelans here lately though, so some people might be able to make this shithole work for them.

edit: what Hefe said

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

So, can now fishing companies buy Venezuelan slaves from their government instead of buying from North Korea's? The costs for shipping slaves will be much reduced

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The Guantanamo prisoner we lost is in Venezuela now and wants to go to Turkey. I guess he's your problem now.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

We put a Jihad on Venezuela because that's his name lol

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Chuck Boone posted:

I went to a talk by a professor from a Trinidadian university who does research on crime surveys and public perceptions of crime. After his talk I chatted with him for a bit, and he told me that Venezuela comes up in the news there sometimes because it's seen as a drug export hub. He told me that the authorities in Trinidad trace both drugs and weapons to Venezuela, so the proximity to the country is causing some problems for Trinidad, apparently. Like fnox said, though, the fact that they speak English there makes Trinidad much more foreign and feel much further away than it actually is.

Also, a bit of a tangent on the MERCOSUR mention: there's a big controversy there now because Venezuela assumed the presidency of MERCOSUR on Saturday, and some of the other member states aren't having it. MERCOSUR's presidency rotates among its members every six months in alphabetical order. Uruguay had the presidency until Saturday, at which point Venezuela said "Alright thanks, it's our turn now". Paraguay said that it didn't recognize Venezuela's presidency, and later Uruguay and Argentina said the same thing. Now those countries are calling for a meeting to resolve the issue because they don't appear to be at all interested in having Venezuela had the organization given its continued human rights abuses.

Uruguay said no such thing. We are the only country in MERCOSUR defending Venezuela, Frente Amplio's gotta pay back all the money they took from Venezuela during the past decade.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Where does Chavismo still have the most support?

Outside of Venezuela

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Is this unnamed man's name Humberto per chance?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Chuck Boone posted:

MERCOSUR's non-Venezuela members (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay) have unanimously decided to veto Venezuela from taking over the presidency of the organization for the next six months, and have instead agreed to share the post.

The organization has also given Venezuela until December 1 of this year to complete a series of steps necessary to become a full member. Venezuela originally had until August 12 of this year to complete the steps (which include meeting certain economic and human rights requirements), but it failed to do so. If Venezuela doesn't meet the requirements by December 1, it will be suspended from the organization.

Foreign Affairs Minister Delcy Rodriguez shot back at the move through her Twitter account, calling it the result of "political intolerance and desperate bureaucrats". She also said what's below, but if you told me that this sentence came out of North Korea I would believe you:

Uruguay actually abstained. Our government is getting more pathetic every day.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Bienvenido y buena suerte para vos y tu familia.

Personal anecdote but it certainly seems like the number of Venezuelans in Argentina is growing.

Uruguay is way worse than Argentina to live in and there's a lot of Venezuelans here.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

When are you getting out hefe?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I think the overly cautious opposition is part of why other countries don't give a poo poo. As long as they're still pretending they're operating in a democracy, what are other countries supposed to do? If the opposition forced a confrontation and the military actually moved against the people in the real way though, I don't think the US would be able to (or want to) ignore what's going on in its back yard anymore.

Actually it's because most neighboring countries have been bought by Venezuela. Look at Uruguay, Mujica's party has been pressuring his coalition to block an investigation on the dealings between Venezuela and Uruguay because they used a private company they own as an intermediary and they took around 5% of all business with Venezuela for absolutely no reason. They are also putting pressure against calling for action against Venezuela, why would that be?. There are politicians here trying to bring attention to Venezuela like Pablo Mieres but the last time he went there he tried to visit some prisoners and was invited to leave. Also his party has like 4% of the votes here so no one cares about what he says.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

fnox posted:

Who exactly is gonna reform them? Are you in any way aware about the country you're talking about or did you just stumble onto this topic thinking this is about America?

You should do what the illuminated left did to reform our prison system: They changed its name to include the word rehabilitation, problem solved.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

They can ask for the money Chavez gave away back (lol)

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

whats the name in Spanish? Never heard of bitter yams

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Oh, mandioca. Never heard it could be toxic, but it's not a common food here. This is the most depressing thread :(

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Maybe El Hefe moved to Miami (where his father lives iirc) and just forgot his password.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Now they need to burn Maduro's current home

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

Wait, do they PREFER the soviet union!? :psyduck:
Saying a government was backed by the soviet union is not a glowing recommendation for a government!

Most Latin American Leftists do.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The podemos people are mentally ill.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's not even just a tankie thing. You see papers all over the world with smatterings of reports about Opposition lynchings and burnings. Even from right wing papers like the Daily Mail you get the occasional story like that between stuff that's very anti-Maduro.

I do have a few questions to sate my own curiosity from those in the country. Is the Opposition as right wing as purported in certain areas. And I don't want equivocations about the current Government being worse, there's lenty of that in the thread already. I just want to know how potentially right-leaning these opposition groups are.

Has there been a spate of lynchings and burning of thieves or criminals? Are most of the Criminals black or of colour? Are most of the lynchers "white"?

Is there a seeming lack of certain essential good on the shelves of stores (flour, eggs, milk, etc.) whilst they remain stocked with other processed goods? Have these goods been horded away from stores by suppliers in order to push up prices, as happens in alot of conflict zones?

I ask these because this is stuff you see when you read around about the situation in Venezuela from an outsider's perspective. There's alot of talking points about the Chavistas being bad and Maduro being a dictator, etc. But then there's also this kind of thing about the opposition that raises eye-brows. What would a government under such opposition look like? There are those that would compare the situation as it is to Syria's endgame of Assad being bad, but the opposition being terrible also.

Nobody is white you loving moron. What's with you idiots and making everything about race?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

The Paraguay thing wasn't really a coup though. Their constitution allows congress to vote the president out and they did.

Paraguay was suspended because they refused to let Venezuela be a member.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

fishmech posted:

Here's your article:
1) His cronies stole billions
2) Oil stopped being expensive

He also gave billions to other countries in exchange for support.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Why would Brazil have a civil war?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

tekz posted:

Yeah I hope Brazil doesn't hit those lows. Temer needs to be booted out asap.

Calm down man. It's just a bad government, it's all happened before.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know man. I had arepas last night and didn't like them, if venegoons lied abot that how can I trust them about other issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Chuck Boone posted:

We need more details! What was the stuffing? How would you describe the arepa dough (cold/lukewarm/hot? Was it dense and dry, or soft and chewie?) There are too many variables to consider!

It was meat and cheese that I could tell, but that's probably a bastardization to appeal to Uruguayans (lack of) palate. I didn't like the dough, it was warm and spongy but i didn't like the texture and taste (didn't taste like much). It seems ok that I didn't because I tend to not like corn derivatives, like polenta and whatever else there is.

Still better than that time I had a rice burrito.