Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Arepas are amazing. I was an ESL teacher over this past year and had lots of students from around the world, specially Japan and Korea. I often recommended an arepa restaurant here in Toronto to them, and I never had a student tell me they didn't enjoy the arepas there. You can't not love arepas!

Is it Arepa Café on Queen Street? That place is amazing.

drat good desserts also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So wait, am I misunderstanding or did the PSUV lose an election then go "nuh uh, we'll set up our own parliament. With blackjack and hookers!" ?

How did people get chosen for this wacky "Communal" Council? Appointment? A second set of elections?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mozi posted:

I would hope that intervention and/or aid would come from other OAS states but they have been pretty bad at this so far. If Venezuela collapses they'll be most directly affected out of other countries so you'd think they would want to stave that off instead of making deals with Maduro.

Counterpoint: Have you seen just how many $100 bills you can fit in a travel suitcase these days?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Didn't at least one of the goons being accused of being a "wealthy Venezuelan expat" only manage get out of Venezuela because of other goons helping pay for him to get out? I recall a pass the hat moment a couple years ago.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

China and Russia have been investing in Venezuelan oil for years and years. But just like with any other international bully, their investment comes with massive strings attached.

Seriously in what world would being beholden to Chinese or Russian geopolitical interests be any better than being beholden to the US?

Did the last 25 years where China went hyper-capitalist and Russia became a right wing kleptocratic oligarchy not happen for some people or something?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Eh even in Libya the bombing was in support of boots on the ground in the form of the rebels. I can't think of a single campaign where bombing alone accomplished what you're suggesting.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Question for those opposed to sanctions: Are you also opposed to the sanctions on individual persons? Like, not the ones stopping the government itself dealing with debt, but the ones doing things like freezing external assets of military officials and Maduro himself, etc...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chuck, do you have the article you mentioned? I'd be interested in reading it.

I'm just a bit skeptical of that argument. I admit a big chunk of that skepticism is anger at the idea that someone can be allowed to get away with that kind of corruption, and that it would just encourage dictators in the future to do the same since hey, worst case when you can't loot your country anymore you can just retire in luxury.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the main venegoons are Chuck Boone, fnox, and Hugoon Chavez right?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem I have with this thread is no one seems to care what the Venezuela’s think and in their lust for war no one cares?

Like some people have been willing to listen to expats but setting aside all other issues they are a very tiny minority of a much bigger country that no one really seems to care about what they think.

I think it's a problem to dismiss the "expats" in this thread considering a lot of them only left a few years ago, have family and friends still in Venezuela, and aren't exactly all wealthy considering at least one only got out thanks to a goon donation drive.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Uhhh, are you referring to the Venezuela Crisis of 1902? Over a decade before oil was discovered?

I mean you might as well say they kicked out Germany and Italy also, which would be equally not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I meant to be fair they merged with a British company in 1907 but I guess "Kicked out the Dutch" sounds less impressive.