Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

All Venezuelans can now be Colombians, the first step to a new Gran Colombia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there another source for that story other that Drudge Report?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

I'd guess that if a ton of trees can grow in an area for millions of years, and it's not some super marginal desert-style forest like Joshua Tree National Park, there's probably some sort of crop that could be grown there that would be useful for people, but I don't really know anything about agriculture or farming. I'd be surprised if the vast majority of Venezuela's forest wasn't at least decent agricultural land, besides forests directly on top of tepuis or whatever, but it's not something I've ever looked into or read about either. That plateau in the southeast doesn't look like it's any higher than most of Colombia, which is full of plantations everywhere, but maybe there's some reason it fundamentally sucks for agriculture (besides it just being incredibly remote and there being no infrastructure, which obviously is a practical limit in the short and medium term).
That southeast plateau in fishmech's post? That's the Guiana Shield. There is indeed a solid layer of vegetation there, especially at lower elevations, but otherwise it looks like this:

Now I'm not a farmer, but that looks like a lovely place to build up a bustling agricultural center.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 28, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just wanted to read about what's happening in Venezuela and listen to Venegoons give Venezuelan takes on the subject. That's all I wanted. :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nckdictator's thing is a rephrase of some poo poo I think grover? said as the US first contemplated invading Iraq after 9/11.