Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I voted for the Witch Doctor because they get some crazy spells and it would be a shame not to have them in the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I voted for the Witch Doctor. The male witch doctor has my favorite cutscenes, my favorite voice actor, and they get some smells later that are mind blowing.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I voted for the Witch Doctor. The male witch doctor has my favorite cutscenes, my favorite voice actor, and they get some smells later that are mind blowing.

:catstare:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oi, don't kinkshame.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress it, I'm not editing that. It's still true.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

No love for Elvira the lady Demon Hunter? :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MartianAgitator posted:

The male witch doctor has a legit accent AND he was the Jamaican alien in Buckaroo Banzai?! If we don't get him in the party I'm gonna be disappointed.

wait the black lectroid from buckaroo banzai is in this game? I'm sold

Male Witch Doctor

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

DOOP posted:

wait the black lectroid from buckaroo banzai is in this game? I'm sold

Male Witch Doctor

Make sure to vote on the Google doc.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No love for Elvira the lady Demon Hunter? :(

Her cannon name is Valla :v:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Witch Doctors are fun because they're just so drat nice. It's the loving apocalypse, and there's this person running around half naked everywhere, summoning zombies or turning into explosive infernal chickens, and to top it all off, they've still got a kind word for almost everyone they meet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

Witch Doctors are fun because they're just so drat nice. It's the loving apocalypse, and there's this person running around half naked everywhere, summoning zombies or turning into explosive infernal chickens, and to top it all off, they've still got a kind word for almost everyone they meet.

I'm fond of the Crusaders for similar reasons. They fully admit their life is full of suffering and pain for basically no reward and they fully expect their apprentice to throw their body in the nearest convenient ditch when they die in battle as they undoubtedly will. Their life sucks, won't end well, and they absolutely love it and wouldn't have their life any other way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Witch Doctors are delightfully blasé about summoning and detonating hordes of undead. It's a rather amusing divergence from the usual 'necromancer' stereotype.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The Male Witch Doctor used to work for the CIA too, with Jennifer Garner, and he's fun, so he gets my vote.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Considering the new season just started and I'm getting back into this, I'm looking forward to following this and seeing what your group ends up being! I sent in a vote, but I'm not gonna tell people what it is.

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Final Fire packet count: 73
To pick the third most voted character.. or to say screw all of you, I'mma do what I want. Decisions, decisions...

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

We'll be recording later today so make sure to get your votes in http://goo.gl/forms/ckOOhiJ4fB

We're nearly at a tie with two of the class combos most mentioned throughout the thread! Your votes may make the difference.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No love for the incarnation of smug, the Male Wizard?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Never got into Diablo III. Heard it was bad when it first came out, and then by the time it was "good" I no longer had time for it.

I did play a poo poo-ton of Diablo 2 though. Been watching the Apologia Diaboli vids, it's been a nice nostalgia trip. That game had some interesting mechanics behind the scenes. For example, while I was messing around with using the D2 Hero Editor to make ridiculous hacked in items for single player (like +damage rings so I could play a punch barbarian gimmick run), I discovered that the Rogue Hirelings are based on the Sorceress class, not the Amazon like I would have expected. I found this out by giving one an item that added +7 points to Sorceress skills, causing her to shoot lightning instead of arrows.

I never did try it with the other hirelings, but as the Rogue is the only one that uses ranged attacks, I'm betting there wouldn't have been any surprises among the others.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh, I'm not sure if you discovered it in yesterday's recording session, but you can DEFINITELY crank poo poo up to Expert right off the bat.

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Final Fire packet count: 73
Yea, we started out on Expert immediately.

The whole "you have to leave the game to turn up the difficulty" thing was me just remembering having to do it on Torment difficulties. So my bad on that one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

General Junos posted:

Yea, we started out on Expert immediately.

Brilliant, I look forward to the boss fights. :allears:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Looks like a fun game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I got D3 for free by partaking in the WoW Annual Pass program back in 2011. I was also in the D3 beta, which had a lot of D2 similarities, but they were all removed one-by-one and by launch, new, more modern QoL features were added. Speaking of D1/D2, they have not aged well graphically so when D3 came along, I was really taken in by the visuals. It's true there were some balance/difficulty problems, even on normal mode just stepping into act 2 without farming (or AHing) some gear for toughness you would get wrecked by those drat shooting wasps. They did way too much damage, among other broken regular mobs and elite affixes. For the goons that poopsocked the game initially, Inferno (the 4th difficulty setting) was just impossible. Bliz had to do nerf after nerf to get it to a completable state. Once they implemented the Inferno Monster Power system, I was able to beat the game on power 0 and considered the game done. I've been a filthy poor the past couple years so I never bought the expansion, but I do follow seasons via Twitch streamers, and still play my vanilla character occasionally. You kinda need the expansion with this game, otherwise you miss out on a ton of cool stuff - Crusader class, a bunch of legendary sets, rifts, adventure mode, Kanai's cube...

Why is the story universally panned? I thought it was perfectly servicable, and the presentation is extraordinary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

because we're not 13 anymore and have delusions of "taste" :v:

I was just bored with the overall story arc and found it predictable. That's not a problem especially when comparing it to D1 and D2 but I always got a feeling that in D2 they never tried to hide anything, you knew who the Dark Wanderer was from the get go. However in D3 it seemed like they were trying to make it a little more mysterious and more of a guessing game and it ended up falling flat, for me at least.

I also wasn't too blown away by taking away the skill system from D2 since it felt too streamlined and "easy". While I am certain that on higher difficulties you still had to choose your skill sets and runes with fine precision to not get squashed by the first mob it still felt lacking from the system we had in D2.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

There are a number of reasons that people call D3's story bad. It's extremely predictable, some parts of it make very little sense, and so on. But for me the biggest problem is that it doesn't even try to recapture what made the setting of the first two games great. A lot of it has to do with how the story is told. Diablo 1 and 2 were bleak, near-hopeless stories of one (to eight :v:) person's struggle against the seemingly endless forces of Hell. Even when you beat an act boss in Diablo 2, you're too late to reach your actual goal and you don't get your first real major victory until act 3. Diablo 1 is basically a desperate suicide dive into the murder-dungeon from the word go. Diablo 3 throws that style and atmosphere out the window in favor of a much more generic-feeling action game story where the villains never stop shouting at you and you're essentially ~the chosen one~. It was super disappointing for fans that still remember the first game very fondly. All in all it would have been disappointing but forgettable if the game had had adventure mode from day 1. But since story mode was the only mode, even in inferno, it was constantly being shoved in your face.

Nowadays, after the expansion and a truckload of patches, Diablo 3 is a fantastic game with a bad (but easily ignored) story. And even though the larger story blows, there are some enjoyable moments to be found while you play through it. The dialog can be fun at times, and there are a couple of genuinely good and/or likable characters. It's just the presentation and overall plot that stick out so strongly.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:

Episode #1-1 (Cut) and Uncut
Episode #1-2 (Cut) and Uncut
Episode #1-3 Chatting with New Tristram(No Commentary)

Beastiary:
Lore books:

quote:

Diablo III Story stuff

Blizzard has great presentation in their games, no doubt about it, but this one has so many dumb and predictable turns that I just walked away from it after playing through the first act on release. I don't think I ever actually listened to the story when I came back to playing it, just started furiously clicking on things until they died. I will get my fill of the story since I will end up beating the story mode over 10 times by the time this lp is done :shepicide:

Koobes fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 4, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is the female Crusader voiced by The Boss? That's fantastic

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Both the uncut 1-1 and 1-2 vids link to the 1-1 video. Don't think that's intentional.

Aces High posted:

is the female Crusader voiced by The Boss? That's fantastic

No, she's voiced by the Major from Ghost in the Shell. Also had roles in stuff like Persona 4, Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and dozens of games and anime.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Both the uncut 1-1 and 1-2 vids link to the 1-1 video. Don't think that's intentional.

No, she's voiced by the Major from Ghost in the Shell. Also had roles in stuff like Persona 4, Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and dozens of games and anime.

It almost sounds like the Boss though.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Whoops, fixed it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I don't know if it's on my end or what, but audio seems to be ahead of the video by, like, a quarter of a second or something. It's not much, but it is noticeable at times.

Also Leah is one of the best/worst things in Diablo 3's great/awful story. "No, uncle, I don't want to listen to your stories about Lords of Evil returning to the land, now stay here while I hold off another horde of the undead."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I can't help but notice some things watching the first video.

A few years after the release of Diablo II, we got a game called Fate. Fate was in many ways similar to Diablo I (single dungeon, we have to go deeper), but had the upgraded graphics and item mechanics of Diablo II (gems, dual wielding, gambling), albeit with a cartoony art style. It played very much like what I imagine an Alpha build of Torchlight was like (someone is probably going to come in here and tell me that the Fate devs went on to make Torchlight, I just know it).

A few years after that we got Torchlight, which had better graphics, character classes, a story, and overall better gameplay. Where Fate had a more sprawling, interconnected style to its dungeons (large rooms that directly connected to each other ala Diablo I), Torchlight opted for long corridors that connected to rooms of various sizes (and used the 3D world to great effect to disguise this).

Torchlight II changed to a map system that was very reminiscent of the sprawling connected overworlds of Diablo II, but also seemed to draw heavily from MMOs, with its emphasis on multiplayer and mmo conventions (like specialization into healer, tank, DPS heavy, etc builds).

I mention this because Diablo III's maps feel very similar to the Torchlight maps. The Cathedral map from the first episode could easily be an upgraded undead halls tileset from Torchlight I. New Tristram is basically the town of Torchlight, but you can actually go into some of the buildings. Even the art style feels less D2-like and more Torchlighty.

TLDR; Clicky ARPGs are an endless circle of stealing mechanics from other popular Monster Clicker games.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

RickVoid posted:

(someone is probably going to come in here and tell me that the Fate devs went on to make Torchlight, I just know it).

you called it

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SpruceZeus posted:

you called it

I figured that was the case. The layout for the towns are basically mirrors of each-other, not to mention all the mechanics (gem-removal/recovery, enchanting, the experience/fame system, etc) that are identical between the two games. I'd just never bothered to see if they were actually made by the same people.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

And fishing, and the pet thing.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
OP, dunno if you noticed but at the end of the second video you didn't actually equip a weapon after switching around your passive.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

There are a number of reasons that people call D3's story bad. It's extremely predictable, some parts of it make very little sense, and so on. But for me the biggest problem is that it doesn't even try to recapture what made the setting of the first two games great. A lot of it has to do with how the story is told. Diablo 1 and 2 were bleak, near-hopeless stories of one (to eight :v:) person's struggle against the seemingly endless forces of Hell. Even when you beat an act boss in Diablo 2, you're too late to reach your actual goal and you don't get your first real major victory until act 3. Diablo 1 is basically a desperate suicide dive into the murder-dungeon from the word go. Diablo 3 throws that style and atmosphere out the window in favor of a much more generic-feeling action game story where the villains never stop shouting at you and you're essentially ~the chosen one~. It was super disappointing for fans that still remember the first game very fondly. All in all it would have been disappointing but forgettable if the game had had adventure mode from day 1. But since story mode was the only mode, even in inferno, it was constantly being shoved in your face.

Nowadays, after the expansion and a truckload of patches, Diablo 3 is a fantastic game with a bad (but easily ignored) story. And even though the larger story blows, there are some enjoyable moments to be found while you play through it. The dialog can be fun at times, and there are a couple of genuinely good and/or likable characters. It's just the presentation and overall plot that stick out so strongly.

I'm down with this post. Its not that the story is bad (though it is very, very bad), its that Chris Metzen--who, let's remember, is a grown-rear end man trying his very best--earnestly believes its good and forbade the player to skip it until the expansion.

This is the best (and most concise) breakdown of why the story in D3 is bad and the story/stories in D1/2 are at least a little interesting, a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22Ivb8ELzQ

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 5, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Metzen suffers from the George Lucas problem in that he's a great writer so long as someone is overseeing him and pruning out the stupid but he has now gotten enough power that he can override people and no longer operates with oversight so all the stupid that should have been pruned instead grows uncontrollably.

Fortunately he doesn't wield as much individual power as Lucas so he hasn't been able to do an Episode 1 to anything, yet. Though HotS comes pretty loving close at times.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I like how the crusader in the videos talks about cleansing her faith, and not converting people. For such a religious archetype she seems very laid back.

Spoiler tagged for those that has not watched the videos yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One theory I've seen about the story, is that back when Diablo II was made, Blizzard was forced to use a more effective storytelling due to limited space. They simple didn't have the space to throw cutscenes left and right, so they had make as much use as they can with what they had. This is no longer the case.

• Locked thread