Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What is a "drider"? Or am I supposed to read that as "D Rider"?

Actually ... do I even want to know?
[/quote]

Come on, man. It's got it's own wikipedia page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zarin posted:

Think a centaur, but giant spider instead of horse and dark elf instead of human, cursed or blessed (depending on the specific example) by a demonic spider goddess. Driders have been a thing in Dungeons and Dragons for decades.

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Final Fire packet count: 73
Yea, he hasn't done much by way of games in the Forgotten Realms, or anything else of that fashion, so he was all "What?" He knows now. He knows.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Keeshhound posted:

Zarin posted:

Come on, man. It's got it's own wikipedia page.

Well, that's .... much more tame than I had expected.

Junos is correct, my nerd-cred is downright deficient in some areas. I ... I am ashamed :negative:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Being ignorant of some goon of a D&D writers name for spider tits is never something you should be ashamed of.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FoolyCharged posted:

Being ignorant of some goon of a D&D writers name for spider tits is never something you should be ashamed of.

Hmm, that seems needlessly pejorative to Goons everywhere! I mean, I've read a couple installments of WTF D&D . . .

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: Mini update?

Act II Beastiary

Just wanted to get this one out since I was slacking a bit on them. We finish Act III in fridays update so look forward to that!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Koobes posted:

:siren: Mini update?

Act II Beastiary

Just wanted to get this one out since I was slacking a bit on them. We finish Act III in fridays update so look forward to that!

Everyone listen carefully to the act boss' music tomorrow. It's the best score in the game and truly a work of stupendous art.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:

Episode #13-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #13-2 Talking with Bastion's Keep
Act III Journals Compilation

New Journal Entries:
Lore: Beastiary:
Happy new year! With this we Complete Act III and begin our delve into level 70 equipment.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Two things today, first thing is Arrogant Nephalim, second thing is, I had an feeling Adria was up to something ever since Kulle mentioned the Soulstone had been tampered with but I did not see her loving Leah over and turning her into Diablo mk2, that was legit surprising for me.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Now that this chapter is over, take a second look at the cutscene at the end of episode 9-1: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FmMNmabm1AzQ

This cutscene is actually very well done. Judging by Azmodan's monologue, he is talking to Diablo, not Leah or the Nehalem. His lines are rather solid foreshadowing. Also, it looks like he is striking at Leah, but if you watch the cutscene carefully, you will see that he's not actually striking the spot she used to stand at. The rubble his attack produced would probably have hit Leah, but Azmodan's claw itself would have completely missed her even if she hadn't moved. Chance is he's not actually seeing Leah at all, he's just sensing a presence and is only able to roughly tell it's location. The other demons not seeing her at all supports that idea. Knowing that Leah is Diablo's daughter, it's probably his presence Azmodan is sensing trough her, especially since he's speaking to him. This in turn makes it likely that him revealing his location to the Nephalem was entirely accidental.

Of course, then act III begins and Azmodan repeatedly reveals his plans, who all boils down to him having mighty demons under his command rather than being a display of strategical and tactical thinking. If you have demons that can dig trough the ground at great speed, it takes very little brain power to figure out you can use that resource to your advantage in a siege.

The plot twist didn't do it for me. We already had a plot twist in Diablo II where it turned out Diablo's defeat in Diablo I was intentional and now we're getting the same plot twist again? So his plan was to get defeated so he can return stronger so he can get defeated again so he can return stronger again? Also, I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing this Adria and Diablo I Adria as the same person, but it was a while ago since I last played Diablo I, so maybe it's just my Diablo I that's getting rusty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crystalgate posted:

The plot twist didn't do it for me. We already had a plot twist in Diablo II where it turned out Diablo's defeat in Diablo I was intentional and now we're getting the same plot twist again? So his plan was to get defeated so he can return stronger so he can get defeated again so he can return stronger again? Also, I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing this Adria and Diablo I Adria as the same person, but it was a while ago since I last played Diablo I, so maybe it's just my Diablo I that's getting rusty.

Diablo's defeat in I was intentional? I thought D2's twist about Diablo was that Prime Evils are very, very difficult to destroy.

I'm probably in a minority, but I actually like Imperius in this game. It's so refreshing with Blizzard to have a character who's not really evil, not a villain, just an rear end in a top hat who's reluctantly on your side because he wants to be an rear end in a top hat to the bad guys even more. I'm going to be disappointed if he's the villain in a future expansion, he's a dude I enjoy disliking.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Also, I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing this Adria and Diablo I Adria as the same person, but it was a while ago since I last played Diablo I, so maybe it's just my Diablo I that's getting rusty.

Diablo I adria was literally just some broad with a staff that sold you magic stuff, she was pretty blank slate. I don't remember her having a lot of conversation stuff like other townsfolk.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I really like Lady Diablo's design or Ladiablo if you will

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
You'd think Heaven would send more Angels to its defense when Diablo himself(herself?) shows up on the doorsteps.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Diablo I adria was literally just some broad with a staff that sold you magic stuff, she was pretty blank slate. I don't remember her having a lot of conversation stuff like other townsfolk.
She had quite a lot of conversations and definitely a personality as well. I watched some Youtube videos containing conversations with her and I'm not seeing any of her there in her DIII incarnation.

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Crystalgate posted:

Now that this chapter is over, take a second look at the cutscene at the end of episode 9-1: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FmMNmabm1AzQ

This cutscene is actually very well done. Judging by Azmodan's monologue, he is talking to Diablo, not Leah or the Nehalem. His lines are rather solid foreshadowing. Also, it looks like he is striking at Leah, but if you watch the cutscene carefully, you will see that he's not actually striking the spot she used to stand at. The rubble his attack produced would probably have hit Leah, but Azmodan's claw itself would have completely missed her even if she hadn't moved. Chance is he's not actually seeing Leah at all, he's just sensing a presence and is only able to roughly tell it's location. The other demons not seeing her at all supports that idea. Knowing that Leah is Diablo's daughter, it's probably his presence Azmodan is sensing trough her, especially since he's speaking to him. This in turn makes it likely that him revealing his location to the Nephalem was entirely accidental.

I.. never put that together. That cutscene, well, Azmo's dialogue, actually used to confuse the crap out of me, but now it just makes so much more sense. O_o

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Of course, then act III begins and Azmodan repeatedly reveals his plans, who all boils down to him having mighty demons under his command rather than being a display of strategical and tactical thinking. If you have demons that can dig trough the ground at great speed, it takes very little brain power to figure out you can use that resource to your advantage in a siege.

The cutscene thing I didn't really realize until you pointed it out, but It felt like the twist was a bit too foreshadowed. Adria's Journal pretty much tells us she knew ~something~ about Aidan, then things with how shady she felt in Act II, and Kulle talking about the stone being tampered with. Part of me wanted Kulle to have more to do with the story on that front, but oh well.

Spudd posted:

I really like Lady Diablo's design or Ladiablo if you will

The best(or worst) part of her design is that she steps with a very feminine strut. Which is weird to me because Leah comes off very tomboyish?

Cythereal posted:

Diablo's defeat in I was intentional? I thought D2's twist about Diablo was that Prime Evils are very, very difficult to destroy.

I'm probably in a minority, but I actually like Imperius in this game. It's so refreshing with Blizzard to have a character who's not really evil, not a villain, just an rear end in a top hat who's reluctantly on your side because he wants to be an rear end in a top hat to the bad guys even more. I'm going to be disappointed if he's the villain in a future expansion, he's a dude I enjoy disliking.

I remember reading somewhere that his defeat was intentional because the body he possessed was not strong enough for what he wanted to do with it. Posessing the Hero of Diablo 1 was something he planned on doing after his defeat.

Also I agree that Imperius is a great guy to hate, he's like a terribly racist uncle that won't shut up during a family dinner.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
The "little extra legs dangling in the middle" are actually mouthparts called pedipalps, which spiders use to manipulate things! :science:

Why she has mouthparts there, well...

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Ceebees posted:

The "little extra legs dangling in the middle" are actually mouthparts called pedipalps, which spiders use to manipulate things! :science:

Why she has mouthparts there, well...

Part of me is intrigued by this... knowledge, and what not. But the other part.. the part that hates spiders with a vicious passion.. well.. I hate you now. =D *shudders*

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

General Junos posted:

Part of me is intrigued by this... knowledge, and what not. But the other part.. the part that hates spiders with a vicious passion.. well.. I hate you now. =D *shudders*

Spiders are actually cool and good dudes and dudettes that catch poo poo like flies that bug (heh) people. Also jumping spiders are adorable.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:

Episode #14 and Uncut Commentary
Act III Beastiary

Lore:
Beastiary:
Act IV begins, Uncut commentary may still be processing for HD stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Thanks for the shout out Zarin, and you're very welcome for the gift of Bogadile. He's the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

Realtalk about sets: Just getting back into the game myself, it really is kind of surprising just how much extra damage you get out of just getting two pieces of any class specific set. I finally got two pieces of an endgame witchdoctor set and I went from grinding my way through T5 to blowing through it and consider upping the difficulty now. Might need to use Focus/Restraint more too!

As for the story, it really is weird seeing again after having made my way through it all so long ago. I totally forgot that Diableah gloats at you the entire time, or that the first portion with the miniboss fight happens as soon as the Act starts. It really is kinda nice seeing it all again though.

edit: holy lmao why did I think getting a free 100% damage boost was ever a bad thing? Focus/Restraint4lyfe

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Witch Doctor gets some of the most fun abilities in the game and legendaries in the game. The Tall/Short Man's Ring is evidence enough of this.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
For being at war with each other for all of eternity, the Angel are pretty bad at defending their home against the demons, aren't they?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nuramor posted:

For being at war with each other for all of eternity, the Angel are pretty bad at defending their home against the demons, aren't they?

On the one hand, they aren't just fighting Diablo but all 7 Lords of Hell in one body and on the other, Angels are arrogant, they never expected the Gates of Heaven to ever actually be breached.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Leahblo is really talkative, huh?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

On the one hand, they aren't just fighting Diablo but all 7 Lords of Hell in one body and on the other, Angels are arrogant, they never expected the Gates of Heaven to ever actually be breached.

Haven't watched the video yet so I'm not sure if it's come up, but no according to the Scrolls of Fate the angels were supposed to lose this battle, and angels tend to trust the Scrolls of Fate absolutely. Nephilim don't appear in the Scrolls of Fate, though, which means you get to save the day.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Spudd posted:

Leahblo is really talkative, huh?
As was Maghda and Azmodan. I think Belial escaped that fate solely because he tried to keep his identity concealed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

As was Maghda and Azmodan. I think Belial escaped that fate solely because he tried to keep his identity concealed.

Nah, he did too just in the form of the child emperor who is in these sewers for reasons and is totally not a demon I swear.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

Thanks for the shout out Zarin, and you're very welcome for the gift of Bogadile. He's the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

You have no idea what Zarin has done with Bogadile, you've doomed us all! I had to ban Bogadile from future recordings because of him chain snatching enemies that we try to kill :cop:

Cythereal posted:

Haven't watched the video yet so I'm not sure if it's come up, but no according to the Scrolls of Fate the angels were supposed to lose this battle, and angels tend to trust the Scrolls of Fate absolutely. Nephilim don't appear in the Scrolls of Fate, though, which means you get to save the day.

The Prophecy of the End of Days that Cain reads from in the Intro Cinematic also foreshadows everything that has happened thus far and the Nephilim don't appear in it either. Some prediction of the future it is if it can't predict that things that can change :v:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Koobes posted:

The Prophecy of the End of Days that Cain reads from in the Intro Cinematic also foreshadows everything that has happened thus far and the Nephilim don't appear in it either. Some prediction of the future it is if it can't predict that things that can change :v:
For once, a case where predictions of the future aren't totally accurate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alavaria posted:

For once, a case where predictions of the future aren't totally accurate.

It's supposed to be one of the big reasons why the angels really, really don't like the Nephilim. Offspring of demons aside, the Nephilim aren't subject to seemingly ordained fate and the cosmic order, and the angels trust fate and order absolutely. According to Tyrael, most angels go their entire lives without ever questioning the Scrolls of Fate or even wondering if there's anything outside its dictates. Then the Nephilim come along who don't appear at all in the Scrolls at all and throw the angels' clockwork universe into chaos - even demons obey fate's dictates, but the Nephilim do not.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Koobes posted:

You have no idea what Zarin has done with Bogadile, you've doomed us all! I had to ban Bogadile from future recordings because of him chain snatching enemies that we try to kill :cop:

Zarin did what any cool and good Witch Doctor would do with Bogadile: troll the poo poo out of your friends.

An interesting note, Bogadile is actually one of the better runes to select when fighting bosses with CC immunity, because he'll stop pop up and chomp them for his huge damage and the pirhana DOT while still applying the damage amp, but won't make them untargetable during the fight so you can keep damaging them the entire time!

It also has niche uses in taking out a really nasty Elite or a unit from a champion pack of the fight for a while.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

SaffronKit posted:

Zarin did what any cool and good Witch Doctor would do with Bogadile: troll the poo poo out of your friends.

An interesting note, Bogadile is actually one of the better runes to select when fighting bosses with CC immunity, because he'll stop pop up and chomp them for his huge damage and the pirhana DOT while still applying the damage amp, but won't make them untargetable during the fight so you can keep damaging them the entire time!

It also has niche uses in taking out a really nasty Elite or a unit from a champion pack of the fight for a while.

I am more a Wizard player so I am not as familiar with WD but that sounds hilarious. Reminds me of when I first showed what Critical Mass could do when to a friend.

RIP Critical mass, you were stupid and overpowered, but funny as poo poo.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #15-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #15-2: Chatting with our Friends
Act IV Journals Compilation

Beastiary:
Lore:
We end our journey to kill Diablo.

I'll be doing a stream for the new season launching tonight, the plan is doing level 1 thru level 70 and clearing Torment X. The season starts around 8pm EST, so I'll start streaming about then at http://www.hitbox.tv/Koobez

Koobes fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Diablo really, really likes to talk thesedays, I guess merging with Azmodan had its drawbacks, and I should say that the male half of his voice is done by JB Blanc, who you may recognise as Zinyak from Saints Row 4, the female half is still Jennifer Hale, who you know from everything else. :v:

(I know she voiced Leah, you all know this, it was mentioned before)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If anyone forgot the story, a quick summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Actually, the creation of Sanctuary is kind of neat. I don't recall having been given a reason before as to why a place that is everything but safe is called sanctuary. Inarius and his followers had no more luck than than the angels in the Book of Enoch it seems.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This is even better than I imagined it. The mighty Bogadile hunter! :allears:

edit: joined for the start, had fun but had to drop out. I'll be watching the stream!

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Started up the stream, http://www.hitbox.tv/Koobez

• Locked thread