Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As sombody that just recently got to Torment 7 on console, it's super strange being able to see actual health numbers on the monsters and how random little dudes in the Act 4 have over 20+ million health. At the same time it's weird to say that that amount of health is pretty trivial for my Demon Hunter to just tear through with Cluster Arrow.

I suppose it's been talked about before,but what i'm getting at is that Diablo 3 past a certain point is just :words: but with numbers instead.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, that's kind of what wound up turning me off the game in the end. I get that they wanted to show a progression of power, but it just makes the treadmill too obvious. At level one with poo poo equipment enemies with 20 health take three hits to kill.

At level 70, with the best equipment you can, enemies on Torment X with 500,000,000 health take... three hits to kill.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what wound up turning me off the game in the end. I get that they wanted to show a progression of power, but it just makes the treadmill too obvious. At level one with poo poo equipment enemies with 20 health take three hits to kill.

At level 70, with the best equipment you can, enemies on Torment X with 500,000,000 health take... three hits to kill.

I will say a lot of the fun is in the different ways you get to kill things across classes, and grinding things up to finally stomp something you were having trouble with before. I take a break from it every once in a while myself, but when I do get back into it I stick with it a while.

And to be fair, at T10 things also 3 shot you if you aren't careful or a particularly tanky class build.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's the DragonBall effect, for sure.

Like Saffron said, though, it's more about getting the items to make builds actually *go*. And then grinding leaderboards with your friends, at least until all the really big streamers bot so hard that playing a couple hours after work each day simply can't keep up :v:

I really wish Blizzard would do something about that, but they seem surprisingly ineffective on that front.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I definitely didn't mean to say it's not *fun*, just that having the treadmill laid out so plainly does sap the longevity of the game for me. I'll get the urge to play it every five or so months, or whenever a big patch comes out, but I wind up losing enthusiasm and dropping it after about a month of playing, too. Whatever, it's fun in short bursts, so I don't mind it too much.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Episode #16-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #16-2 Talking with Westmarch

Lore: Beastiary:
The beginning of Reaper of Souls! I think this is the expansion has a significant jump in quality when compared to the original, both in what the gameplay was, and in terms of writing. The video is a bit on the short side because I had connection issues whenever we went to record unfortunately.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So Malthael is pretty much the Lich King in all but motivation, not that this is a bad thing of course.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You should summon a non-combat pet to collect all the gold for you!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is also the point in the game where if you play a demon hunter, they start to have a noticeable mental breakdown. They're generally curt and angry in acts one through four, but in act five the demon hunter starts to downright lose it: the demon hunter's home was a village close to this city. This was their homeland.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Keeshhound posted:

I definitely didn't mean to say it's not *fun*, just that having the treadmill laid out so plainly does sap the longevity of the game for me. I'll get the urge to play it every five or so months, or whenever a big patch comes out, but I wind up losing enthusiasm and dropping it after about a month of playing, too. Whatever, it's fun in short bursts, so I don't mind it too much.

I think this is the essence of the Diablo series right here.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:
Episode #17

Lore:
Urzael's Journal, Part 2
Urzael's Journal, Part 3

We continue the adventure into the streets of Westmarch.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Cythereal posted:

This is also the point in the game where if you play a demon hunter, they start to have a noticeable mental breakdown. They're generally curt and angry in acts one through four, but in act five the demon hunter starts to downright lose it: the demon hunter's home was a village close to this city. This was their homeland.

There is also that one part near the end of the game that is different for every class that i think is pretty neat character development. But that's getting ahead of ourselves at this point.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Koobes asked me to post this link regarding what we discussed in the video:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19996041?utm_content=external-sso&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=app-other

Basically, it's Blizzard's explanation on how they came to decide how and why to truncate numbers.

While I think part of it is dumb (The paragraph where they explain that seeing 1000M is more satisfying than seeing 1.00B, for instance), it's definitely something I had never considered before. In fact, I had figured that numbers were more or less one of the most universal things about human communication; if not the names of them, then at least the concept.

Welp.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I belong to the category of people who prefer if damage didn't scale up to billions in the first place. But if you do have that much damage, then something like what Blizzard did is probably the best approach.

Anyway, it's no wonder why Sanctuary is such a lovely place. We don't have the forces of good vs evil or order vs chaos fighting each other, we have order vs evil. The angels are very much not good and the demons seem more concerned about being evil than being chaotic. Obviously, this doesn't work out well for humans.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

I belong to the category of people who prefer if damage didn't scale up to billions in the first place. But if you do have that much damage, then something like what Blizzard did is probably the best approach.

Anyway, it's no wonder why Sanctuary is such a lovely place. We don't have the forces of good vs evil or order vs chaos fighting each other, we have order vs evil. The angels are very much not good and the demons seem more concerned about being evil than being chaotic. Obviously, this doesn't work out well for humans.

The weirdest part to me about how much of a power creep there has been in the game is that truncated numbers are an option. In high end difficulties with large packs of enemies, you can straight up cause 20 seconds of lag because the game is trying to do too much math at once in conjunction with the area damage stat. Inflating the numbers has honestly made this lag spike even worse than it was in previous versions.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That's impressive because calculations with big numbers is very easy for a computer. It seems strange to me that damage calculations can affect the performance at all. Mind you, there can be a lot of things going on when you hit a large number of enemies, but merely calculating damage in the billions instead of thousands should be a piece of cake for a modern computer.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most of the computational load is handled by some remote server controlled by Blizzard - the load on the user end largely has to do with proper input/output for the netcode and with rendering all the colorful things in the game. My guess is that the lag has more to do with graphics calculations, either from rendering a particle effect for area damage or from layering all the damage values at once. Depending on the particular architecture of a graphics card, rendering time (and thus a reduction in FPS) may scale greater than linearly with the number of things to be rendered.* But either way, that shouldn't be a problem with damage numbers so much as a problem with enemy numbers.

*I'm making a wild guess here, but understanding how output scales with input is a real consideration with CS applications.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

NGDBSS posted:

Depending on the particular architecture of a graphics card, rendering time (and thus a reduction in FPS) may scale greater than linearly with the number of things to be rendered.* But either way, that shouldn't be a problem with damage numbers so much as a problem with enemy numbers.

Damage numbers are a graphic. Lots of damage numbers, even truncated are still more numbers that need to be displayed. Normally you optimize gui stuff really well but with Diablo 3's huge hordes and Big Numbers well...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That's basically what I said above? My whole point is that the size of the number itself (millions vs. billions) should be largely irrelevant, and that the real culprit is likely from a concatenation of factors relating to that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh whoops, I misread what you said.

The only thing that should add in to the display lag for number computation in that case is the sheer volume of computations the server has to do along with the lag in sending/receiving the information.

But lag is it's own beast, as we've seen Koobes been hit with :v:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU
I for one am happy to call down the darkness upon you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have to really agree about Act 5, it really is so much better than all the previous acts in terms of cool side things. Are they useful to do? No, but they're cool and add some minor fluff things that really make the entire act feel a lot more alive than all the previous ones. As for numbers, I did appreciate them truncating them so it is actually fairly easy to tell how much damage you're doing. It was super hard to read before this patch dropped.

I also look forward to the further adventures of Detective Chicken. :allears:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SaffronKit posted:

I have to really agree about Act 5, it really is so much better than all the previous acts in terms of cool side things. Are they useful to do? No, but they're cool and add some minor fluff things that really make the entire act feel a lot more alive than all the previous ones.
Yeah, Blizzard really did a fantastic job with the Reaper of Souls expansion, which just makes so much of a bummer that there's pretty much no hope that we'll get another expansion before a (theoretical) Diablo 4.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yet they keep teasing the Skovos Isles so,so much too! It's kinda mean honestly

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, Blizzard really did a fantastic job with the Reaper of Souls expansion, which just makes so much of a bummer that there's pretty much no hope that we'll get another expansion before a (theoretical) Diablo 4.

What makes you think this?

I mean, I guess this is old as gently caress, but if this thing is real to begin with, it's possible that they might have toyed with the idea of two expansions at one point:
http://www.wowhead.com/news=175487/blizzard-product-schedule-leak-or-hoax

I'm not sure if there's anything recently that has given us a reason to think that there WON'T be a second expansion, though.

Also: I'd imagine that it's probably a matter of "when", not "if" there will be a D4 . . .

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:

Episode #18 and Uncut Commentary

There may not be an update next week, as I have midterms coming up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

That weird King event always struck me as weird since he has mechanics other than "don't stand in fire, hit until dead" like literally every other boss in the game and certainly more complex than most other random events you can run across. I wonder if it was intended there be more to this guy or perhaps you'd be talking with the King of Westmarch at some point in the plot that would make this reveal more poignant.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That weird King event always struck me as weird since he has mechanics other than "don't stand in fire, hit until dead" like literally every other boss in the game and certainly more complex than most other random events you can run across. I wonder if it was intended there be more to this guy or perhaps you'd be talking with the King of Westmarch at some point in the plot that would make this reveal more poignant.

They made it feel cemented that the king must die, with the killing already done by the time you get there. It's hard to say what they wanted with that sequence.

Wait...if we killed the kingslayer, does that make us the king/queen now.....

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Pretty Pretty Anime princess QUEEN Wizard. :unsmigghh:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Pretty Pretty Anime princess QUEEN Wizard. :unsmigghh:

Promotions used to be so easy, back in the day.

Now it's all meetings and annual reviews and metrics and SMART goals . . .

Really makes ya' wistful for the time when all you had to do was off the guy in front of you, I guess.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Vidoes:

Episode #19 and Uncut Commentary

Lore:
We take care of an old friend this time around.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 20, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know when I played the game I never noticed this, but your horadrim buddy seems awfully against the whole kill adria plan. Like, yeah we need the information dude but shes a demon, cmon son.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Strictly speaking, she isn't a demon. At the very least, not until the fight. Whether whatever she does with the 'soup' turns her into one, I'm not sure, but she's definitely just a witch until then.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Hey folks, just a small update:

I've been dealing with a bunch of RL stuff, so I had to put the LP aside for a little while. I don't plan on leaving this unfinished, just need to take a break away from thinking about it.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

aannnddd We're Back!

Videos

Episode #20 and Uncut Commentary

Lore Books

The Lost Warrior
The Realmwalker
The Great Weapon
Malthael's Plan

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it lives! huzzah

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:

Episode #21 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #21-2: Talking with female Crusaders former Master

Lore Books:
We conclude (most) of the Story mode, just a few things to wrap up that we'll handle next week!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Sooo... Are you just going to leave us all hanging in regard that promised and supposedly amazing Wizard/Master dialogue? :)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
When I played this part as a male Wizard my master was the Sorceress from Diablo II, who apparently got shanked by one of the assassins after the end of the game. Is it the same for the female Wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sylphosaurus posted:

When I played this part as a male Wizard my master was the Sorceress from Diablo II, who apparently got shanked by one of the assassins after the end of the game. Is it the same for the female Wizard?

As far as I'm aware, the only class where the conversations for this part differ based on the player's gender is the Crusader.

• Locked thread