Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cumslut1895 posted:

form a dolphin

Thanks, Schurik!

Motherfucker that's a shark, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fatkraken posted:

Motherfucker that's a shark, drat

godamnit

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Forgall posted:

I never see anything in those magic eye things. What's the deal with them?

The method that works best for me is to cross your eyes, the slowly uncross them without letting them refocus. I can't do it just by unfocusing my eyes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Schurik posted:

Same principle, crazier effect:

motherFUCKER!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Any good "moving" optical illusions at a slightly higher res? I want to use one for my phone background but the pattern doesn't repeat enough to be really effective at their current resolution, even when turned 90 degrees

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

The show brain games on Netflix has tons of poo poo like this.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Keep staring at the middle: the empty space should become green, and the pink dots should disappear.

Don't do this one late at night:

Schurik has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Aug 29, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Schurik posted:

Keep staring at the middle: the empty space should become green, and the pink dots should disappear.

I love that you see the dots disappear one by one as the green dot goes to them like it's deleting them, instead of disappearing all at once. Why the hell do eyes do this.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Cumslut1895 posted:

Holy crap, I just learned how to see magic eye images. I can unfocus my eyes at will, and if I do that I see three discrete depth layers in this image, none of which are an interesting shape. If I refocus my eyes a little they suddenly form into two depth layers that form a dolphin

Thanks, Schurik!

edit: if I unfocus super hard I can see four layers

When these first came out, I was really pleased with myself because I found a way to get these instantly by going cross-eyed.

Unfortunately, that makes them inverted - things that are meant to stick out, sink into the image instead and I see gently caress all.

I've never been able to see them properly since :-( maybe my brain is broken.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

When these first came out, I was really pleased with myself because I found a way to get these instantly by going cross-eyed.

Unfortunately, that makes them inverted - things that are meant to stick out, sink into the image instead and I see gently caress all.

I've never been able to see them properly since :-( maybe my brain is broken.

wait they're supposed to stick out?!?

when will the lies end

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Yeah, when I could do them, they looked like this:

Now imagine that, but the area surrounding the rabbit is in the foreground, and there are two rabbit shaped holes in the middle of the image. Except when it's like that, it's hard to tell what it's even meant to be.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cumslut1895 posted:

wait they're supposed to stick out?!?

when will the lies end

most of the modern ones have an object in the foreground and the background drops away, and are meant to be done with the "view through" method where your focus is behind the screen/picture. Crossing your eyes moves your focus in FRONT of the image, inverting them so they look like a cutout of the object, like a stencil.

I learned to do them with the books (you could use a tablet or something), focus on a wall about 10-15 feet away, then raise the image slowly in front of your eyes at relaxed arms length while trying not to let your focus change.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Schurik posted:

Lmao explain this poo poo

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Lmao explain this poo poo
Your brain just kind of approximates things in your peripheral vision to save itself some work, and rapidly changing images break this process.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

~~embrace the darkness in ur heart~~

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Schurik posted:

Seriously, though, I think this one actually is tied to how tired you are.

Like, normally I just get caricature artist bullshit, but it's currently 2 in the morning and I've spent all day coding and I'm getting full on facemelting.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Schurik posted:

Here are another two I like, these work by increasing your eyes' distance to your screen (may take a foot or two), or, for some people, by squinting.

Here's Marilyn/Einstein:

These two switch places:

I can switch these instantly by taking my glasses on and off, it's fun!

My 20/20 vision girlfriend can't do it at all, I think this is the only time she has been envious of my vision.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

When you stare into the abyss...

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

most of the modern ones have an object in the foreground and the background drops away, and are meant to be done with the "view through" method where your focus is behind the screen/picture. Crossing your eyes moves your focus in FRONT of the image, inverting them so they look like a cutout of the object, like a stencil.

I learned to do them with the books (you could use a tablet or something), focus on a wall about 10-15 feet away, then raise the image slowly in front of your eyes at relaxed arms length while trying not to let your focus change.

This begs the question - if it's infinitely easier to get the image by focussing in front of it, why not invert it and make that the method for seeing them?

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

Your brain just kind of approximates things in your peripheral vision to save itself some work, and rapidly changing images break this process.

You can also get the same results on yourself by stand 40cm in front of a mirror and stare into it in a dimly lit room. It only takes a minute for you to seeing your own grossly deform face, a monster, your parent's face, or even the face of an animal.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Lonely Virgil posted:

You can also get the same results on yourself by stand 40cm in front of a mirror and stare into it in a dimly lit room. It only takes a minute for you to seeing your own grossly deform face, a monster, your parent's face, or even the face of an animal.
Nice try, Candyman.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's another really cool animated magic eye thing.

http://www.hidden-3d.com/index.php?id=ani_gallery&oid=&pk=234

no idea how to embed that sucker, so you gotta click.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Schurik posted:

I super wasn't kidding when I posted earlier that staring at yourself in the mirror for a long time does loving WEIRD poo poo to your perception.

http://www.perceptionweb.com/perception/editorials/p6466.pdf

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cover the middle, it will go faster. Cover the outsides, it will go slower.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Schurik posted:

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Why do so many of these exist?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schurik posted:

First magic eye that's ever worked for me and it's goatse. God damnit internet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Goatman lives in us all.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Another one of my faves:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

None of these cirles are touching:

Here's an aufitory illusion - it only seems to get faster:

http://picosong.com/Jj5g/

And this one just completely blew my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3dDH3vtRc

Schurik has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Sep 6, 2015

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

One last bump with some of the good stuff, maybe someone feels like contributing some more?

Gently shake your screen:

And two more in the same vein as before:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Extreme brightness illusion:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
The Moving Paper Dragon Illusion in action, courtesy of the Grand Illusions store and online illusion museum (warning: you probably will want to buy things from here, should you look around):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkj880N5Aw

The Grand Illusions paper dragon page should have a downloadable PDF on it, but I can't find the link. Anyway, here's the PDF, with a printable pattern:

http://www.grand-illusions.com/images/articles/opticalillusions/dragon_illusion/dragon.pdf

The Cheshire Cat Illusion is extremely impressive and quite unnerving when it works, but a bit hit and miss in my experience (you'll also need a small square mirror, a friend with a not-too-terrifying smile, plus nerves of steel and/or a double brandy):

http://www.grand-illusions.com/acatalog/Amazing-Cheshire-Cat-Optical-Illusion-636.html

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Exert a moderate pressure on your closed eyes.

Lots of migrany chequerboards and fiery wheels!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Schurik posted:

And this one just completely blew my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3dDH3vtRc

I actually expected some sort of "But wait...!" moment, and cackled aloud like an old woman when the vid ended. :golfclap:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Extreme brightness illusion:

That's very cool! I start to involuntarily squint looking at it, even though my logical brain knows it's not actually bright.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/R4GMLWS.webm

Hakkesshu posted:

I always liked this one because you can tell the exact moment where your brain just wigs out and changes direction

When this illusion first got popular like 7 years ago I showed it to my mom. She perceived no rotation at all, just an image sliding back and forth through a plane like how a string oscillates up and down as a standing wave

what level of witch is she

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Schurik posted:

Another one of my faves:

What this supposed to be doing? Its not really making anything happen for the blank picture as far as I can tell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are you focusing specifically on the little red dot? I didn't notice it the first time and didn't see anything, but after spending the ten seconds concentrating on the dot, the entire cityscape appears to be in pastel colors in the blank image. It disappeared again as soon as I looked away from the dot.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/d9zeDux.gifv

No inline image, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

A classic, but with a transition!

• Locked thread