Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Cumslut1895 posted:

Holy crap, I just learned how to see magic eye images. I can unfocus my eyes at will, and if I do that I see three discrete depth layers in this image, none of which are an interesting shape. If I refocus my eyes a little they suddenly form into two depth layers that form a dolphin

Thanks, Schurik!

edit: if I unfocus super hard I can see four layers

When these first came out, I was really pleased with myself because I found a way to get these instantly by going cross-eyed.

Unfortunately, that makes them inverted - things that are meant to stick out, sink into the image instead and I see gently caress all.

I've never been able to see them properly since :-( maybe my brain is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Yeah, when I could do them, they looked like this:

Now imagine that, but the area surrounding the rabbit is in the foreground, and there are two rabbit shaped holes in the middle of the image. Except when it's like that, it's hard to tell what it's even meant to be.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

most of the modern ones have an object in the foreground and the background drops away, and are meant to be done with the "view through" method where your focus is behind the screen/picture. Crossing your eyes moves your focus in FRONT of the image, inverting them so they look like a cutout of the object, like a stencil.

I learned to do them with the books (you could use a tablet or something), focus on a wall about 10-15 feet away, then raise the image slowly in front of your eyes at relaxed arms length while trying not to let your focus change.

This begs the question - if it's infinitely easier to get the image by focussing in front of it, why not invert it and make that the method for seeing them?

• Locked thread