Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could stop being mean to guns.

Would you say that guns are people, my friend?

:page3:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
boom

Although I will admit I don't really understand. Is it showing all cases where 4+ people were shot but not all of them lost their lives?

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Guns are very important

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Serious question: given how hard it is to categorise firearms (re: "assault weapons") - would it actually be feasible to do it on a gun-by-gun basis? Have some group vote on what is acceptable and what is not?

Alternatively: how about anything with a capacity of more than eight bullets/shells should be illegal?

SedanChair posted:

Gun nuts like to scoff when people say "high-capacity magazines give you an unprecedented amount of firepower!" But I don't scoff because well, they do give you a lot of firepower, in your hand. And nutso spree shooters choose Glock for the same reason everybody else chooses it; you don't really have to aim. You don't! You've got a light trigger pull that is the same for every shot, and three times the capacity of a revolver. Just wave that bitch all over the place and yank on the trigger; it's better and easier to use than older designs. Remember, weapons are designed for people without a lot of training to use. And so by making a very simple and easy-to-use pistol, Gaston Glock solved "gun" like Sam Colt did, with a revolution in manufacturing.

Oddly though this hasn't led to everyone just being satisfied with the Glock. There's no reason to dislike it or prefer another pistol, other than being caught in the prison of ego. You want to be different, huh. "The Glock is a fine service pistol" you grunt with your arms folded at the range. "But I prefer the grip angle on the me ma mo ma murr muhhh target acquisition." Thinking you can get just as much performance out of another pistol, one with character, one that represents your personality. That's only pride, my friend.

I really like the blocky design. It looks super cool. Wouldn't have Raylan Givens carry anything different. But he is a TV character.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlennFinito posted:

Guns are very important

*Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog jumps in*

"For me to poop on!"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if they take away my guns, what the h*ck am I supposed to do when I see black people in my neighborhood??

doesn't make sense imo, please consider this before posting again, op.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I keep my guns in a locked safe because I feel that's the responsible thing to do.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I mean, yes, that puts me at a disadvantage if someone tries to burgle me, but I live in the woods, not the inner city.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volcott posted:

I mean, yes, that puts me at a disadvantage if someone tries to burgle me, but I live in the woods, not the inner city.

My mom got a man sized gun safe just so she had a place for the guns she inherited. And she doesn't let anyone else see them.

What are you hiding, mom?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

Guns are one of the most commonly stolen items from homes so there's basically no reason to ever have one in your house that isn't in a safe that's also in another, larger, safe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Guns are one of the most commonly stolen items from homes so there's basically no reason to ever have one in your house that isn't in a safe that's also in another, larger, safe.

One safe is fine as long as you bolt it to the floor.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Who What Now posted:

And then wrap chains and a lock around that safe to complete the Looney Tunes gag.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

One safe is fine as long as you bolt it to the floor.

Nah man, safes are like condoms. That's why I always wear six at a time when I get it on.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

My favorite gun is the one that shoots nukes.

I want everyone to have a gun that shoots nukes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gravel Gravy posted:

And then wrap chains and a lock around that safe to complete the Looney Tunes gag.

Gunnitus Nutticus --->
<--- Armos Controllimus

" Bang! Right in the kisser! "

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kenzie posted:

As history has shown, if everyone had a gun that shoots nukes no one would shoot their gun that shoots nukes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kenzie posted:

I prefer my nukes delivered via rocket.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

How do we feel about rocket guns?

Not guns that shoot rockets but guns that shoot bullets that are propelled by miniature rockets like in You Only Live Twice.

What advantage do rocket bullets have over normal bullets?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

Not guns that shoot rockets but guns that shoot bullets that are propelled by miniature rockets like in You Only Live Twice.

Warhammer is for nerds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gravel Gravy posted:

Being rad as gently caress.

Then you can crush your enemy under you bootheel and destroy them with your bolters.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

I prefer mine delivered by ridiculously impractical giant bipedal robot.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I really think Turn A is the best, it really gets the idea of the series and genre down.

Oh, Gun not Gundam :blush:

Guess we'll just keep having repeated shooting tragedies forever rather than be a first world nation. Like glorious Japan. :japan:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volcott posted:

Warhammer is for nerds.

I don't see what's nerdy about a white man traveling to Japan to become Japanese and have an Asian waifu where he trains and assaults secret volcano bases with an army of ninjas.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Who What Now posted:

I prefer mine delivered by ridiculously impractical giant bipedal robot.

Ed 209 wept.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
can we post our favorite urban mech cosplays

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gravel Gravy posted:

They are extremely well suited to killing the traitor, the xeno, and the heretic.

Edit

Volcott posted:

Warhammer is for nerds.

Nuh-uh

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Who What Now posted:

They are extremely well suited to killing the traitor, the xeno, and the heretic.

Edit

Nuh-uh

Can't believe a space wars game co-opted from my 1960s Bond movie. Regret bringing it up, jeez.

Maybe regular bullets are ok.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gyrojet rifles were a real thing, they didn't come from bond movies.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Serious question: given how hard it is to categorise firearms (re: "assault weapons") - would it actually be feasible to do it on a gun-by-gun basis? Have some group vote on what is acceptable and what is not?

Alternatively: how about anything with a capacity of more than eight bullets/shells should be illegal?

Guns can be easily classified by rate of fire, capacity and size. Higher rate of fire means more bodies quicker, higher capacity means longer between reloads and a small gun is easier to conceal. Rate of fire is simple because all that matters is auto or semi-auto, size would probably be some overall length and capacity would be whatever number decided by legislature.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Well, in a sense it can be relatively easy; firearms can be categorized by their action- how they chamber and fire bullets by cartridge-the kind of bullets that they fire and then after those two primary means into minutiae of barrel length and rifling and other less essential features.
Under this technical set of definitions, for example, the US military defines an assault rifle as being a select-fire (it can fire single shots, and bursts or full-auto) rifle chambered in an intermediate (medium-sized) cartridge.

In the sense of defining an "Assault weapon" things become murky because here you have a tautology- any weapon used to assault someone is an 'assault weapon' and multiple politicians have conjured up multiple definitions of varying technical and aesthetic features that often have no relation to how the firearm operates or its use in crime. For example, the well-known Desert Eagle is often defined as an 'assault weapon' by name (or due to its weight) and banned. The common 1911 design is not generally considered an assault weapon under most legislation. This is despite the fact that the Desert Eagle is about a foot long (there is a reason they always gave one to Arnie) weighs 4 pounds unloaded, costs about 2 grand, and was made for hunting big game. The 1911 on the other hand, was literally designed for the US army to go fight wars with.

You can also turn a not-assault-weapon into an assault weapon by changing accessories, and not altering the fundamental features of the firearm.

In many states the synthetic stock (the part you hold and put up against your shoulder) and a larger magazine would classify the lower rifle as an 'assault weapon' even though they are functionally the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8

There is no combination of action and cartridge capable of taking North American game (deer, elk, boar, rabbit, squirrel) that is not also able to be used in taking a human's life.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Who What Now posted:

Gyrojet rifles were a real thing, they didn't come from bond movies.

Just looked it up. Neat

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
uuuunfff keep going im almost there

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Grendels Dad posted:

As history has shown, if everyone had a gun that shoots nukes no one would shoot their gun that shoots nukes.

I'm pretty sure this theory wouldn't work if you brought it down to an individual level.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

You can also turn a not-assault-weapon into an assault weapon by changing accessories, and not altering the fundamental features of the firearm.

In many states the synthetic stock (the part you hold and put up against your shoulder) and a larger magazine would classify the lower rifle as an 'assault weapon' even though they are functionally the same.

The top one's function is to shoot [X] number of times before needing to reload.
The bottom one's function is to shoot [Y] number of times before needing to reload. Technically they are merely functionally similar, not the same.
:goonsay:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Those magazines aren't fixed.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Well, in a sense it can be relatively easy; firearms can be categorized by their action- how they chamber and fire bullets by cartridge-the kind of bullets that they fire and then after those two primary means into minutiae of barrel length and rifling and other less essential features.
Under this technical set of definitions, for example, the US military defines an assault rifle as being a select-fire (it can fire single shots, and bursts or full-auto) rifle chambered in an intermediate (medium-sized) cartridge.

In the sense of defining an "Assault weapon" things become murky because here you have a tautology- any weapon used to assault someone is an 'assault weapon' and multiple politicians have conjured up multiple definitions of varying technical and aesthetic features that often have no relation to how the firearm operates or its use in crime. For example, the well-known Desert Eagle is often defined as an 'assault weapon' by name (or due to its weight) and banned. The common 1911 design is not generally considered an assault weapon under most legislation. This is despite the fact that the Desert Eagle is about a foot long (there is a reason they always gave one to Arnie) weighs 4 pounds unloaded, costs about 2 grand, and was made for hunting big game. The 1911 on the other hand, was literally designed for the US army to go fight wars with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8

There is no combination of action and cartridge capable of taking North American game (deer, elk, boar, rabbit, squirrel) that is not also able to be used in taking a human's life.

These are all horrible ways to classify guns when you're worried about murders and spree killings.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Who What Now posted:

The top one's function is to shoot [X] number of times before needing to reload.
The bottom one's function is to shoot [Y] number of times before needing to reload. Technically they are merely functionally similar, not the same.
:goonsay:

I don't follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

katlington posted:

These are all horrible ways to classify guns when you're worried about murders and spree killings.

Maybe you should be thinking about how to classify murderers and spree killers and work from that angle, as no murder or spree killing happens without a person involved.

• Locked thread