Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Those magazines aren't fixed.

Yes, it is possible to change a gun's function by changing its individual parts.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Maybe you should be thinking about how to classify murderers and spree killers and work from that angle, as no murder or spree killing happens without a person involved.

Maybe you should go make a thread about it if you want to, as I don't care about that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

Those magazines aren't fixed.

We fought World War 2 with rifles that had fixed magazines. So what?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
If all handguns disappeared it would have way way more of an impact than if all evil black death rifles disappeared. Makes u think.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

tumblr.txt posted:

If all handguns disappeared it would have way way more of an impact than if all evil black death rifles disappeared. Makes u think.

Are there guns that shoot out the plague now? Seems an inefficient way to prevent home burglaries.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

tumblr.txt posted:

yeah, which is why I don't get why people so breathlessly defend hand guns. Like the only reason hang guns exist is to kill other people, they have no actual societal benefit outside of being used by public defenders such as trained police officers (not all police officers mind you) and soldiers.

You want to take a loving AK to chipotle? okay w/e go wild we all see your pasty white rear end in cargo shorts coming from a mild away and can keep our phones ready to call 911 but hand guns are waaaaaay to easy to conceal.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Haven't black people exercising guns historically been the best solution towards firearm reform.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

katlington posted:

Maybe you should go make a thread about it if you want to, as I don't care about that?

Well how do you propose classifying firearms if not by their inherent features?

CommieGIR posted:

We fought World War 2 with rifles that had fixed magazines. So what?

Some of the weapons had fixed magazines, yes.

Some, like the BAR, didn't.

Or the M3.

Or the Thompson.

Or the M1.

So what?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Guns should be categorized as either "Assault-Class Death Machines" or "Rooty-Tooty-Point-And-Shooties". I won't insult anyone's intelligence by explaining the difference between the two.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Owning a tank should be easier than owning a hand gun.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The gun is good! The penis is evil!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
counterpoint op: no

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What is D&D's stance on mech control? Like should civilians be allowed the awesome power of a PPC or AC/20, or should there be regulations on anything more powerful than a medium laser? Should there be tonnage limits on mech ownership?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

various cheeses posted:

What is D&D's stance on mech control? Like should civilians be allowed the awesome power of a PPC or AC/20, or should there be regulations on anything more powerful than a medium laser? Should there be tonnage limits on mech ownership?

Literally entitled to as much as you can carry.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

boom

Although I will admit I don't really understand. Is it showing all cases where 4+ people were shot but not all of them lost their lives?

That's a lot of police shootings.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

LeJackal posted:

I already addressed that.

katlington posted:

Guns can be easily classified by rate of fire, capacity and size. Higher rate of fire means more bodies quicker, higher capacity means longer between reloads and a small gun is easier to conceal. Rate of fire is simple because all that matters is auto or semi-auto, size would probably be some overall length and capacity would be whatever number decided by legislature.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

katlington posted:

I already addressed that.

Your proposals are dumb and you are a butt.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

various cheeses posted:

Your average Battlemech has enough maintenance and supply costs to eat your average wannabe Mechwarrior out of house and home if they are not working for some government or other large, very wealthy group. And good luck getting the licensing and training necessary to not kill yourself.

Now Elementals and other powersuits, those are a real menace to society.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

Your average Battlemech has enough maintenance and supply costs to eat your average wannabe Mechwarrior out of house and home if they are not working for some government or other large, very wealthy group. And good luck getting the licensing and training necessary to not kill yourself.

Now Elementals and other powersuits, those are a real menace to society.
I only ever worry about weapons you can hide under your clothes. I'm not so up on my Mechwarrior but I know Elementals are small, but can you do that?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Volcott posted:

Your proposals are dumb and you are a butt.

It's not my idea, that's how it's done already.

e: just to be clear, I did not invent the concepts of semi-automatic and automatic firearms, ammo capacity or length.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 27, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/reflectoronline

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Owning a tank should be easier than owning a hand gun.

Owning a tank IS easier than owning a gun as far a the law is concerned.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

katlington posted:

It's not my idea, that's how it's done already.

e: just to be clear, I did not invent the concepts of semi-automatic and automatic firearms, ammo capacity or length.

I completely misread your post. Sorry for calling you a butt. I'm going to go to bed now.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
What do the pro-gun crowd say about the hordes of evidence that suggest gun restrictions/bans have a statistically significant effect in reducing gun crime in most other countries that have such legislation. Is the argument for guns literally only "Its our rights!!" and "black people will immediately rape my family in the middle of the night if I dont have firearms under my pillow"?

Not being facetious, just a very confused poster from a country with plenty of gun restrictions and a very, very low gun crime rate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

What do the pro-gun crowd say about the hordes of evidence that suggest gun restrictions/bans have a statistically significant effect in reducing gun crime in most other countries that have such legislation. Is the argument for guns literally only "Its our rights!!" and "black people will immediately rape my family in the middle of the night if I dont have firearms under my pillow"?

Not being facetious, just a very confused poster from a country with plenty of gun restrictions and a very, very low gun crime rate.

america is also a special place, americans are special people, there are already too many guns in america, sometimes you get coded references to the fact that other countries don't have the racial problems america does, etc.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Whatever you do you GOTTA make sure you're talking about the right type of gun or gun style or whatever sperglord incidental feature or I'm just gonna ignore your entire argument

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rakosi posted:

American gun advocates live in a carefully constructed bubble of confirmation bias and tortured logic where any half-remembered excuse why guns have nothing to do with crime are ceaselessly and uncritically repeated as gospel truth.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

The usual go-to argument is that those countries are "culturally homogenous" which roughly translates to "around blacks never relax".

Edit: the argument that there are too many guns in America already is probably the best/only valid argument against gun control.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

Some of the weapons had fixed magazines, yes.

Some, like the BAR, didn't.

Or the M3.

Or the Thompson.

Or the M1.

So what?

:ssh: I know that, but arguing the what defines a combat weapon on their magazine style is a worthless argument.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Who What Now posted:

The usual go-to argument is that those countries are "culturally homogenous" which roughly translates to "around blacks never relax".

There are actually four and a half rough categories of gun apologetics, which one advocates is mostly predicated on one's politics. One is "cultural homogenity," popular amongst the center-right. One point five is the unmasked version of this among the hard right, which is "minorities and immigrants." Two is "it's poverty!" which is popular among liberals, who ignore comparisons of HDI and violent crime and murder rates which indicate that poverty cannot be the only factor. Three is "guns have a zero impact on crime for no apparent reason" which is popular amongst libertarians, who aren't comfortable with overt racism or talking about poverty reduction. Four is "regardless of the consequences, I need guns to make my half-baked revolution fantasies insignificantly more plausible" which is common amongst dumb tough-talkers of any political affiliation.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
  • Elect Bernie Sanders are president of the United States
  • Immediately seize and nationalize all weapon manufacturers on US soil
  • Liquidate their assets
  • Use the proceeds and material suppliers towards the creation of a high-speed railway spanning all states
  • Round up dissenters and put them in railway labour camps

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Grendels Dad posted:

As history has shown, if everyone had a gun that shoots nukes no one would shoot their gun that shoots nukes.

Yeah, but negligent discharges would be a mess

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

A lot of those studies are based on extremely massaged statistics and are funded directly by gun control organizations. Also "gun crime" as a metric is stupid as hell. You're not an extra special kind of dead if you're killed by a gun rather than a knife or blunt object.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
This thread would not have happened if I had had a gun.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

Also "gun crime" as a metric is stupid as hell. You're not an extra special kind of dead if you're killed by a gun rather than a knife or blunt object.

and yet these same people never stop whining about black on white or black on black crime

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

A lot of those studies are based on extremely massaged statistics and are funded directly by gun control organizations. Also "gun crime" as a metric is stupid as hell. You're not an extra special kind of dead if you're killed by a gun rather than a knife or blunt object.

You are, however, more likely to die or be seriously injured if the altercation involves a gun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Actually if you get killed by a gun you go to super-double-hell, so it actually does make you a special kind of dead.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

yeah, which is why I don't get why people so breathlessly defend hand guns. Like the only reason hang guns exist is to kill other people, they have no actual societal benefit outside of being used by public defenders such as trained police officers (not all police officers mind you) and soldiers.

Those are weird societal benefits to be claiming. I mean even target shooting is more of a societal benefit than police or the military. Police only use handguns to defend themselves (no benefit to society) or enforce unjust laws (no benefit to society). The military basically uses handguns as a badge of rank and to carry out torture (like Allen West) and executions.

Effectronica posted:

This thread would not have happened if I had had a gun.

Well this post wouldn't have happened, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let's not worry about "gun crime" specifically and instead just look at murder rates. Ok, the US has a murder rate 3-48 times that of anywhere else in the industrialized world, and the upper end of that range is our next door neighbor. Seems odd.

• Locked thread