Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So because it's effectively impossible to ever get rid of our many, many guns in this country, I think we need to use this thread for what's really important in today's America: unrealistic depictions of guns in media. Stop adding in CGI muzzle flashes, Hollywood! :argh:

Alternatively, what's everyone's favorite gun? Mines the 1911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

The flying backwards poo poo after you've been shot needs to go as well.

Or guns sounding like someone's rattling a box of steel scrap every time someone gently brushes up against one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

Gently brushing up against guns definitely fits my internal caricature of a gun nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7UfgWYHiY

TFR.avi

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Feel free to also post the most adorable guns you can find. Case in point:

It's like the wiener-dog of guns.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^
:kimchi: I love it, did it actually work worth a drat?

SedanChair posted:

Nah I just squirt some CLP at the bolt when it gets really filthy and keep going. I probably don't even need to do that

The Baby Browning :3:

Warning: Do not give to actual babies!

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 27, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlennFinito posted:

Guns are very important

*Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog jumps in*

"For me to poop on!"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

I mean, yes, that puts me at a disadvantage if someone tries to burgle me, but I live in the woods, not the inner city.

Guns are one of the most commonly stolen items from homes so there's basically no reason to ever have one in your house that isn't in a safe that's also in another, larger, safe.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

One safe is fine as long as you bolt it to the floor.

Nah man, safes are like condoms. That's why I always wear six at a time when I get it on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

I prefer my nukes delivered via rocket.

I prefer mine delivered by ridiculously impractical giant bipedal robot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gravel Gravy posted:

How do we feel about rocket guns?

Not guns that shoot rockets but guns that shoot bullets that are propelled by miniature rockets like in You Only Live Twice.

What advantage do rocket bullets have over normal bullets?

They are extremely well suited to killing the traitor, the xeno, and the heretic.

Edit

Volcott posted:

Warhammer is for nerds.

Nuh-uh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gyrojet rifles were a real thing, they didn't come from bond movies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

You can also turn a not-assault-weapon into an assault weapon by changing accessories, and not altering the fundamental features of the firearm.

In many states the synthetic stock (the part you hold and put up against your shoulder) and a larger magazine would classify the lower rifle as an 'assault weapon' even though they are functionally the same.

The top one's function is to shoot [X] number of times before needing to reload.
The bottom one's function is to shoot [Y] number of times before needing to reload. Technically they are merely functionally similar, not the same.
:goonsay:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Those magazines aren't fixed.

Yes, it is possible to change a gun's function by changing its individual parts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

Well how do you propose classifying firearms if not by their inherent features?

Guns should be categorized as either "Assault-Class Death Machines" or "Rooty-Tooty-Point-And-Shooties". I won't insult anyone's intelligence by explaining the difference between the two.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

What do the pro-gun crowd say about the hordes of evidence that suggest gun restrictions/bans have a statistically significant effect in reducing gun crime in most other countries that have such legislation. Is the argument for guns literally only "Its our rights!!" and "black people will immediately rape my family in the middle of the night if I dont have firearms under my pillow"?

Not being facetious, just a very confused poster from a country with plenty of gun restrictions and a very, very low gun crime rate.

The usual go-to argument is that those countries are "culturally homogenous" which roughly translates to "around blacks never relax".

Edit: the argument that there are too many guns in America already is probably the best/only valid argument against gun control.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

A lot of those studies are based on extremely massaged statistics and are funded directly by gun control organizations. Also "gun crime" as a metric is stupid as hell. You're not an extra special kind of dead if you're killed by a gun rather than a knife or blunt object.

Actually if you get killed by a gun you go to super-double-hell, so it actually does make you a special kind of dead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

No, you complain in fits and starts, motivated by the sight of whites dying.

I am 100% sure that posters complained about American gun culture when Dylan Roof shot up that church and hit nary a white person in sight. Im too lazy to look them up on my phone though so whatever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

In theory yes. But in reality there's no way an amendment on an issue this polarizing would pass 2/3 of Congress as well as 3/4 of the states. Which is a big part of why this whole debate is really depressing: there's no way any really meaningful change can happen given the current makeup of the country and government.

Yeah, pretty much. People joke about shrugging our shoulders and saying "I guess nothing can be done about crazy people getting guns" but that's more or less completely true.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

All that really should be said about guns and gun ownership is this: "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

Good blaster didn't do Han much good when he met Vader, now did it? :smuggo:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeeMajors posted:

This is the thing that kills me.

"Guys, I took a 6hr class and occasionally shoot paper targets in a controlled environment with ear and eye protection. Just try and shoot me, you loving thugs. Just like American Sniper said, you're either a wolf or a sheep." :clint:

The people in those recreations knew what was going to happen before hand, too, and still weren't able to accomplish anything. Had it been an actual unexpected attack they would have been even less effective, if not an actual detriment. Assuming of course that they don't poo poo their pants and forget they even have a gun while panicking.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Ah yes the ol "because I say so" defense.

Ultimately all laws are "because I say so", what's your point?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Actually you should probably defend your position on banning something other than "I'm afraid of them and uhhh I don't really know past that"

I'm not bent out of shape about it, see tezzor's posts for stamping and crying. More states than ever have legalized concealed carry and despite your screeching about blood in the streets, the streets are looking real dry from where I am.

If cold then how global warming? Checkmate gun change scientists.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is an indisputable fact that if you support a thing I don't like you are a terrible person and also a murderer with a small dick.

This but unironically.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten?

Yes. As I said earlier, being killed by a gun angers the Lord and he sends you to Mega-Sheol.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

How many people can you stab from your vantage point at the top of a clock tower?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hexium posted:

If America had the ethnic makeup of most European countries, America's gun homicide rate would be comparable to most European countries.

Hexium posted:

Probably, most of the guns used by criminals are bought off the black market. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible in Europe, as recent events in France have shown.

So what I'm getting here is that you believe whites and non-whites cannot coexist without violence. Interesting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think guns are fine, we just need to ban the use of a chemical propellant and make it so you have to pump your firearm like a BB gun. No using gas cartridges to cheat either, you have to pressurize it by hand the good old fashion way. This way you can still hunt and target shoot or hold it in your hand while standing naked in front of a mirror with your microdick tucked between your legs so you can finally feel like a real man if only for a moment or whatever, but it's way harder to kill 12 people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think we can all agree that at the very least crossbows are objectively better than guns at everything except shooting multiple things quickly or one thing multiple times. I propose we have a government program to exchange any gun for a crossbow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Achieve policy success?

For now! You must be ever paranoid vigilant for when Obama is gonna issue an executive order striking down the second amendment so he can steal your guns with his voodoo magycks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DolphinCop posted:

crossbows should be allowed because theyre badass and i wouldnt even mind being shot with a crossbow, id just be like, "dude", not in a bad way, just kinda impressed

Plus when you inevitably shoot your child as they sneak in after breaking curfew you're much less likely to kill them and you can both have a laugh about it on the way to the hospital.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Worried your new crossbow won't fill that niche of shooting a bunch of tiny projectiles all at once like your shotgun does? Don't worry we got you covered with our brand new Splinterstorm Bolt(patent pending)! This plastic sleeve is filled with hundreds and hundreds of toothpicks that is sure to please. Just send $35 in unmarked bills to our shipping center to receive your Splinterstorm bolt today. Order now and receive two boxes of refill toothpicks absolutely free!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This is a thread for cool things like guns get your nerd poo poo out of here, nerd.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

Forums poster Fat ogre has a developmentally disabled child in real life.

Much like having an Asian wife gives you a free pass to be racist having a special needs child gives you a free pass to denigrate special needs people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Ogre posted:

I think kittens are toy poodle puppies when it comes to their size and concealability. You are correct I don't think riding in an airplane is the same as using an airplane.

Your logic is bad and you should feel bad.

Are you driving a car when you're the passenger?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Ogre posted:

Yes this is obviously the same a shotgun vs a rifle. Two different models of the same line of gun vs two entirely different types of firearms.

Cars and motorcycles are the same thing.
Cellphones and Rotary dial phones are the same thing too.

HTH

Cars and motorcycles are both motor vehicles, cells and rotaries are both phones, shotguns and rifles are both long guns. These are all factually true.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Ogre posted:

A square and a triangle are both shapes but it helps if you don't confuse the two when discussing gun law restrictions.

Lol if you care about gun laws or think there will ever be a gun law in this country that is both enforced and worth a drat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Ogre posted:

So you aren't exercising your right to freedom of travel or freedom to peacefully assemble? If you aren't actually the one driving someplace?

Are you exercising your freedom of travel if you're kidnapped and transported against your will? Check mate, gunailure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Ogre posted:

Sure it is.

The whole part about bearing arms implies you can carry it. How else does one bear arms?

A militia is pointless if you can't carry the gun to where you need it.

A militia is pointless regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

crabcakes66 posted:

Alright I'm tired of this. Everyone please include accurate measurements of your erect penis with every post.

Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again.

• Locked thread