Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I heard there was a happening thread in here.

ASK ME: How fun it is to shoot WWII era milsurp

It's pretty damned fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tumblr.txt posted:

Given that handguns cause the vast majority of gun crime, and rifles cause virtually none, I propose a "Pistol for AR-15" government exchange program.

No, better to crack down on the shoulder things that go up.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

That's the stock, sweety.

No, its the barrel shroud, hon.
Don't get all gun otaku with me. :nyd:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

cheese posted:

Do you walk around with a gun with a round chambered because you believe you will not have time to work the slide when you need to use the gun, or because you believe you may need the additional round?

One less thing to think about when you are under stress and have more important details to pay attention to. Like identifying your target, making certain nothing behind it is in danger if you misd or it passes through the target. Oh, and because carrying without one in the chamber is asinine.

Edit: also because real life is not a movie, where people rack slides for dramatic effect.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Clearly you don't understand how scary black people are and the ever-present threat they present

Well, their main threat is to each other, so maybe they sould work on that.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

cheese posted:

This is probably where we talk about Glock Leg.

So it really is because you envision yourself in a tactical scenario where the single second spent putting a round into the chamber could be the difference between life and death. Got it. If your daily carry has a manual safety, do you leave that off as well to save time and streamline your brain scripts?

Was I too honest and clear about answering? Did this trigger you into replying via insult?

My 1911 is carried cocked and locked. It is safe that way and there is no need whatsoever to add an additional step to use, such as racking the slide.

Feel free to talk about glock leg. :allears:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Gotta be ready to shoot someone in the face at all times, even a second could mean the difference between successfully putting that skittles wielding hooligan down and him getting away.

A) center mass is the rule. Attempting a face shot is silly.
B) if you are going to deal in death, do not do so half-way.
C) very few skittle hooligans in the mountains of Utah. I am more worried about mountain lions and the like.

In all seriousness, I rarely carry beyond hiking up in the mountains. Unless I happen to be down in west valley.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

See, that's a legitimate and respectable reason. Much better than "your arm is grabbed, gotta shoot first and ask questions never!"

The bottom line is why not have one less thing to deal with when you are trying to evaluate a situation. It is not a perpetual state of paranoia that something might happen. It is akin to buckling my seatbelt. I mean why not? Ounce of prevention and all that.

When one does carry a deadly weapon, it's probably best not to do it half assed.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Okay here's a gun control compromise that respects the second amendment. Take all guns currently on the NFA off and replace them with pistols. Adjust the $200 tax from 1934 for inflation. Being that pistols are of questionable military value for militia service, this is A-OK.

So basically a poll tax. Why so racist?
Also I would be giving up a lot in order to legally concealed carry and I would be gaining... what? I don't think compromise is a word you understand. Nor do I think it would have an ounce of impact on those who are already using handguns in an illegal fashion.

Not A-OK.

For the record, the only thing I would want that is currently restricted is a suppressor so I can save my hearing while at the range and hunting.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 30, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Because buckling your seatbelt doesn't prime your car to fire harpoons at the slightest provocation. The reason why not is that you aren't just taking out one less step to defending yourself, you're also taking away one more failsafe from an extremely deadly weapon. Admittedly less so on a 1911 because that has, like, seven other safety measures to prevent such a thing (I'm exaggerating can gun spergs, I know it's not that many), but you're still drastically increasing your odds of an accidental discharge in order to be better prepared for for the insanely rare off-chance that extra quarter-second is the difference between life and death. If anything keeping the round chambered is taking your responsibility as a safe and reasonable gun owner half-assed.

Well hey, why not take it a step further and have the rounds in a case in your pocket and the mag/pistol unloaded until needed?

If we are talking scenario dreaming, not all altercations would be the bad guy facing the concealed carry individual. Why draw attention to yourself while you are vulnerable and not presently the target?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 30, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

lfield posted:

Concealed carry dudes who think in terms of good guys and bad guys are worrying.

Concealed carry dudes should totally stop and ponder what horrible events might have guided the poor unfortunate (and misunderstood!) youth that is currently raping a bystander... before judging whether he might be "good" or "bad". Actions simply do not tell the whole story you see!

Who What Now posted:

What exactly do you think drawing a weapon does besides make you the target?

It makes me the solution to the problem.

BOyah.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rodatose posted:

hammers rule. drove a loving nail into a board and smashed tf out of some butternut squashes

Dude, you should totally put a (drained first) coconut in a paper back and pound the poo poo out of it. So very much like a youth's skull!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The only full auto I want to shoot is a minigun.

I just want to see the target disintegrate and only hear a nice hum.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tumblr.txt posted:

BANG BANG bang THUMPF

"What was that?"

THUMPF

"Maybe if I shoot a few more times it'll fix itself"

THUMPF THUMPF THUMPF

Sorry, I was too busy racking my slide, hoping the threat would dissipate.

When do we move on to sarin gas? Or did I miss that earlier on?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I too look into claims, yet never post the counters to support my stance on issues.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

This is actually true though, you don't do that b

When have I not done that

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

That is quite compelling evidence to support your assertion.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tezzor posted:

There is as far as I can tell

because you are an abject idiot.

Here, allow me to provide the scientific proof.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sorta half serious, I think it'd be a great idea if we banned all handguns and permitted rifles only (hunting, assault, battle, anti-materiel, whatever)

Yes. History has shown that banning a thing results in a net positive.
It is a great idea.

Do me a favor. List those rifle types in order of lethality for me. You can add in handguns for shits and giggles.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread