Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
This thread would not have happened if I had had a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
All that really should be said about guns and gun ownership is this: "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

Victimless crimes are bad because I say so.

What fresh meme is this?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is an indisputable fact that if you support a thing I don't like you are a terrible person and also a murderer with a small dick.

Nazis must be good people, since other people think they are bad and terrible people for their opinions.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A solid Effectronica post.

As a murderer with a small dick I find it very offensive to be constantly grouped in with people who have opinions I don't like. I'm sure some nazis have normal sized or even larger dicks.

Hey, as Harry Truman said, if you can't take the heat, get the hell out of Nagasaki.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
A good argument for outright banning guns would be that a great many people demonstrably have broken brains due to the influence of guns, and the most humane way to get them to shut up about how it's a magazine/clip, not a clip/magazine, is simply to ban them outright. Significantly restricting access strikes a nice balance with people who have a reason to own and use guns.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten? Give me a break you clown. Instead of specifically targeting the gun violence boogeyman, try enacting measures that target the crime rate overall.

See, for example, how this guy, because he has had his psyche permanent warped by the presence of guns, believes in a vast hivemind of criminals, such that stepping up enforcement on securities fraud would lower the homicide rate.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten? Give me a break you clown. Instead of specifically targeting the gun violence boogeyman, try enacting measures that target the crime rate overall.

Is this the final form of broken-windows policing?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Nah more like reducing poverty rates. The sad fact is poor people tend to do more crime, and you tend to do less crime when you're living comfortably.

Poverty has little correlation with crime rates generally. What does correlate strongly is lower socioeconomic status, for the overall crime rate.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hypothetical: if there were a way to successfully prohibit drugs and alcohol would you do it? Like how far does this possession crimes rabbit hole go.

What does this have to do with what he said?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Intoxication has never killed anyone.

ITT we live in a world where alcohol and drugs don't ruin millions of lives a year in America.

It is very useful that I be allowed to smoke up and watch cartoons. The money I spend buying drugs in no way contributes to basically all the worst crimes happening not just in the Us but also pretty much everywhere else.

Firearms derangement has also claimed this man, as he gibbers about how coffee ruins millions of lives every year and kills people.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
We live in a society where thousands of Americans, every single second of every goddamn day, think that hyperventilating in front of a gun safe about what means of blowing muggers away they're going to carry today is effectively equal to having a beer or drinking a morning coffee. My friends, this country is in dire peril.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Even leaving aside the basic failures of brain they've got going on, gun types are really lovely at parties, as these last few posts prove.

"Rolling Rock?"

"That's pure poison. All I need is Ol' Betsy, my painstakingly-restored Lee-Enfield Rifle No 5 Mk I "Jungle Carbine", rechambered for 7.62x51 NATO."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"Thank god," the man said, as his life ebbed away from the effects of circulatory shock, "that being shot by a man who wouldn't shut up about how guns aren't designed for killing is really no worse than getting hit by a car." Then he passed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Does every inanimate object have some sort of spirit animal in your mind, dictating its one true use?

And look, now we've got religious chauvinism at best going on here! Seriously, these guys are total shitpiles.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

I think you're arguing from a really weird place. Like the bow and arrow was designed to kill, do we ban that too?

I think that it would be hilarious to go fishing with you, and watch you try to fish with a string tied to a baseball bat. "Intent of the designer does NOT matter," you'd say.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's really somewhat terrifying to seem someone write what amounts to "if you ban guns you need to ban cranes" with a straight face. Sure, it may have tears streaming down it, but the face is deffo straight.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This actually works fine FYI.

Try leaving your house sometime.

You can also kill someone with a screwdriver.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Or your car after a half dozen screwdrivers.

But alcohol is fine because it drowns my loneliness before I negligently kill people.

Stay on topic. I want to hear more about how fishing rods are a scam, a scam I tells ya! Less about the depressing details of your personal life.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Lol this is so ridiculous.

All I can think of is that Homerpalooza episode of the simpsons where Marge goes "Cannons are designed to hurt! They're designed to hurt!"

Have you ever hosed a watermelon?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

if gun only for killing, then why target shooting? why 22lr exist?!?

Hold on. We need proof that .22, .25, etc. are all nonlethal calibers. I suggest that you provide video/photo evidence of bullets of those calibers bouncing off your undoubtedly titanic frame. So once you've shot yourself repeatedly, we can then move on to animal testing, to establish a decent probability that small-caliber ammunition is incapable of killing anything.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

A 22lr can kill but so can a pointy stick.

The last time I asked someone to imagine they were in charge of designing a gun "purely to kill people", and to explain why on earth they would pick 22lr when many other cartridges are massively more suitable, they explained it would save a murderer maybe $20 in ammunition during their killing spree.

That was the actual reason they gave. "I, Bob GunDesigner, would make the MurderGun 2000 fire 22lr to appeal to budget-conscious mass-murdering lunatic market".

You and Sedanchair are the 2 worst posters on the entire internet but I'm interested in seeing if you have a better explanation than that.

Have you ever hosed a watermelon? My answer to your dipshit dishonesty depends entirely on the answer to that question. It's critical.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The simple fact that the majority of homicides are committed against people known to the perpetrator is something that apparently doesn't apply to gun homicides. Despite their sneering insistence that a thread titled "gun" should focus as much on homicides committed by table lamps, it seems gun homicides are, in fact, unique.

Oh ho ho, it's magic, you know. Never believe it's not so.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Important to the magical mind of the gun nut is the belief that because a gun uses a round designed for target shooting, or for killing game birds, it is therefore restrained from being used in violence against humans. Even if some liberal SJW sickopath managed to overcome the spells binding the 20-gauge loaded with birdshot, the percentage chance is lower that they will kill someone with it, so there's no problem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

So you agree with me that some cartridges (and logically the guns built to take those cartridges) were designed to have purposes other than killing people (target shooting, hunting). Thanks.

Never said guns were harmless, just that not all guns are built with the sole purpose of killing people.

No, I refuse to agree with liars. Please admit your dishonest statements about what other people have said, such as altering "killing" to "killing people" and refusing to distinguish between guns and bullets. Or, you know, go the way of all gun freaks.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

Achieve policy success?

I was thinking "develop a full-blown sexual paraphilia", but that'$ a workable analog¥.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's kind of disturbing how there are thousands of people who believe that the Supreme Court is infallible when issuing ex cathedra proclamations on matters of doctrine. To begin with, that's the pope who has that superpower.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fat Ogre posted:

No see they made gay marriage/abortion/obamacare legal! But it doesn't count when talking about guns/citizens united/Bush being elected because reasons.

To continue, it evinces an overriding indifference to physical reality on the part of the speaker. Can someone who says a thing like this be trusted to recognize that people can be killed when they are shot? Signs point to no.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fat Ogre posted:

:allears: Tell us all about cutting. Do you cut yourself? Do you bleed butter? Hrmm do tell.

You don't know anything about firearms, yet feel that we should listen to your opinions on why they should be banned or regulated.

If I wandered into a thread about Israel and talked about Jews having horns and laying eggs seriously and then said we should do XYZ with Israel I would be soundly mocked.

That is what is happening to you Tezzor when you talk about guns. You don't know anything about them and it shows.

It is not okay to point out the sexually dysfunctional nature of gunfuckers, but it is okay to obsess about obesity and envisioning someone committing suicide in shame over their ignorance of guns.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fat Ogre posted:

I didn't say it wasn't ok. I said notice how anti-gun retards always talk about gun owner penis size.

Try to keep up.

To finish with the earlier statements about how owning guns can cause you to go insane, notice how this guy's ability to comprehend language is at the level of a small child's. This can be directly traced back to his gun collection.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Before you can begin to talk about how the presence of a gun exacerbates conflicts and violence, you must demonstrate that you know the difference between single-action and double-action.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Imagine... a gun control bill that manages to satisfy everyone, and then the President confuses a rifle and a carbine in his remarks, and the bill is sucked away into a vortex and the NRA kills a million people in retaliation.

various cheeses posted:

Do any of you people believe you should defend yourself if attacked or your home is invaded by a criminal?

If you should defend yourself, why not use the most effective means of defense: a gun?

Why would I need a gun, when I have a lethal intruder protection system on my person and in my home, and a high-pressure electrically-ignited flamethrower, just for kicks? Granted, I've gone through twenty children, but I wouldn't be concerned about home invasion if I wasn't a total SOB, right?

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's always cool when gun nuts try to pass themselves off as rednecks and peckerwoods rather than the classic-rock-listening suburbanites they are.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

meristem posted:

That's cute. Now tell me where I mentioned Kellerman.

Now, questions: after wannabe sex-haver Elliot Rodgers had his 5 minutes of Internet fame (still without sex, tho), California apparently introduced some gun restraining order type of legislation. It seems to me like exactly the type of a law that would have worked also in Vester Flanagan's case, no? Also, in the Pokemon WorldCon case, thanks to MA laws, the wannabe shooters were charged with unlawful possession of firearms and unlawful possession of ammunition, so isn't this also case of gun laws, in a sense, working?

Gun nuts are in favor of death though, so this is a classical case of something falling on deaf ears.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

good thing statistics are products of unconnected autists published by organizations i dont give a poo poo about

Well, when you end up swallowing your 45, at least you'll still be better than the fag nerds with their math, right?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

raven4267 posted:

I don't even know if you are serious or not anymore. Should people who live in high crime areas not be worried about crimes being committed against them or something?

Well, unfortunately, math is for women and homosexuals, so I can't demonstrate the rationality of your fear.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I hope that smarmy little turd tsa explains to raven4647 how he's misunderstanding statistics, else he'd be a hypocrite, lower than even a criminal.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

So it's safe to not have any kind of plan, because "it can never happen to me".

What's your plan for superflu?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
As someone who has committed crimes in the past, I feel that I need to be armed in the event that a gun nut, convinced my life has no value, tries to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

I threw all my fire extinguishers away because it'll never happen to me. It's just too unlikely to even give it a single thought.

Better tell my boss we need at least one gun per person, for the sake of safety. It's just like our fire extinguishers.

• Locked thread