Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Serious question: given how hard it is to categorise firearms (re: "assault weapons") - would it actually be feasible to do it on a gun-by-gun basis? Have some group vote on what is acceptable and what is not?

Alternatively: how about anything with a capacity of more than eight bullets/shells should be illegal?

SedanChair posted:

Gun nuts like to scoff when people say "high-capacity magazines give you an unprecedented amount of firepower!" But I don't scoff because well, they do give you a lot of firepower, in your hand. And nutso spree shooters choose Glock for the same reason everybody else chooses it; you don't really have to aim. You don't! You've got a light trigger pull that is the same for every shot, and three times the capacity of a revolver. Just wave that bitch all over the place and yank on the trigger; it's better and easier to use than older designs. Remember, weapons are designed for people without a lot of training to use. And so by making a very simple and easy-to-use pistol, Gaston Glock solved "gun" like Sam Colt did, with a revolution in manufacturing.

Oddly though this hasn't led to everyone just being satisfied with the Glock. There's no reason to dislike it or prefer another pistol, other than being caught in the prison of ego. You want to be different, huh. "The Glock is a fine service pistol" you grunt with your arms folded at the range. "But I prefer the grip angle on the me ma mo ma murr muhhh target acquisition." Thinking you can get just as much performance out of another pistol, one with character, one that represents your personality. That's only pride, my friend.

I really like the blocky design. It looks super cool. Wouldn't have Raylan Givens carry anything different. But he is a TV character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

yeah, which is why I don't get why people so breathlessly defend hand guns. Like the only reason hang guns exist is to kill other people, they have no actual societal benefit outside of being used by public defenders such as trained police officers (not all police officers mind you) and soldiers.

You want to take a loving AK to chipotle? okay w/e go wild we all see your pasty white rear end in cargo shorts coming from a mild away and can keep our phones ready to call 911 but hand guns are waaaaaay to easy to conceal.
This is actually a really interesting point. I always saw long guns as the biggest concern and had never considered that. You'd be hosed in open-carry states, I guess, but still. Little Mister Militia can still have his fantasy of holding off the US government's tanks and drones with his AR-15.

Give it a try, America. See what happens if you just ban small guns.

• Locked thread