Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What is D&D's stance on mech control? Like should civilians be allowed the awesome power of a PPC or AC/20, or should there be regulations on anything more powerful than a medium laser? Should there be tonnage limits on mech ownership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

What do the pro-gun crowd say about the hordes of evidence that suggest gun restrictions/bans have a statistically significant effect in reducing gun crime in most other countries that have such legislation. Is the argument for guns literally only "Its our rights!!" and "black people will immediately rape my family in the middle of the night if I dont have firearms under my pillow"?

Not being facetious, just a very confused poster from a country with plenty of gun restrictions and a very, very low gun crime rate.

A lot of those studies are based on extremely massaged statistics and are funded directly by gun control organizations. Also "gun crime" as a metric is stupid as hell. You're not an extra special kind of dead if you're killed by a gun rather than a knife or blunt object.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Let's not worry about "gun crime" specifically and instead just look at murder rates. Ok, the US has a murder rate 3-48 times that of anywhere else in the industrialized world, and the upper end of that range is our next door neighbor. Seems odd.

It's also been steadily dropping for years, while gun sales have gone through the roof.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

It has been dropping worldwide. Ours is still abnormally high compared to developed countries though.

Can't find the graph, but haven't we always had a higher rate compared to Europe, going back decades?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

What about rights to carry a SRM-4 and a Small Laser?

The anti-mech crowd doesn't even know what they're trying to ban. Like the legislating against the Mad Cat because it has the shoulder missile things that go up.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Okay but for real though, everyone asks if there's a bat signal in TFR or something and that's probably true idk I don't really post there often these days.

But TBQH I luuuurrrve jumping into gun control in D&D because folks get so. loving. salty. over it in a way they just don't about almost any other issue. I'm not sure if I can really explain how it's different than normal bitching but it just is. I know you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. That and the powerlessness. :keke:

gently caress the rest of the developed world, victimless crimes in general are on the way out in the land of the free versus like 50 years ago and if you don't like you can d/w/i. Powerlessly.

I don't know what it is either, but yeah it's fun. The GBS thread is even more ridiculous because you can just act like a total rear end. Also I love these mechwarrior analogies.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Good blaster didn't do Han much good when he met Vader, now did it? :smuggo:

Counterpoint: That time han solo fought the sword guy in indiana jones.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

Police firearm competency is a joke. Also a separate issue.

Private citizens have no business wielding instant-death-machines at all times, because their heroic armed rescuer bullshit is pure :fap: fantasy.

Ah yes the ol "because I say so" defense.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

You're the side on the defense, I think. Because you've not offered one argument for having guns unrestricted in the manner they are currently that can't be digested into nationalist "It's are rights!!!".

Actually you should probably defend your position on banning something other than "I'm afraid of them and uhhh I don't really know past that"

LeeMajors posted:

Instead of stamping your feet and crying that :qq: "nobody's going to tell ME what to do!" :qq:, why don't you provide some compelling reasoning for private citizens having unfettered access to incredibly lethal and concealable weapons?

I'm not bent out of shape about it, see tezzor's posts for stamping and crying. More states than ever have legalized concealed carry and despite your screeching about blood in the streets, the streets are looking real dry from where I am.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

I've listed a bunch of examples that provide my reasoning for my opinion. Yours is anecdotal.

Your whole country is really bad at guns, this is a fact. Every country that is better than you with guns has much less of them. Explain.

Actually we're pretty good at guns. We have a lot of them.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

That is clearly not something everyone else thinks is a problem and instead something to celebrate.

We are in total agreement here my friend.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Does every thread in D&D get this amount of vitriol or is it just gun.txt?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

gun homicide rate

Gun homicides are more special than regular homicides?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

Yes because the topic is gun control iirc. Typical NRA distraction poo poo, answer my post first, please.

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten? Give me a break you clown. Instead of specifically targeting the gun violence boogeyman, try enacting measures that target the crime rate overall.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

See, for example, how this guy, because he has had his psyche permanent warped by the presence of guns, believes in a vast hivemind of criminals, such that stepping up enforcement on securities fraud would lower the homicide rate.

Haha what

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Is this the final form of broken-windows policing?

Nah more like reducing poverty rates. The sad fact is poor people tend to do more crime, and you tend to do less crime when you're living comfortably.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

What the gently caress ever. Its primary purpose is as an intoxicant, not as a loving lethal weapon.

It's primary purpose or whatever is literally poison.

The hilarious side effect is you get drunk and make posts like this on the forums.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

When the item in question is primarily designed to kill and is party to a incredible amount of efficient deaths, it warrants legislative attention.

Does every inanimate object have some sort of spirit animal in your mind, dictating its one true use?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

Are you denying that guns were designed for the purpose of killing, and exist to that end today?

I think you're arguing from a really weird place. Like the bow and arrow was designed to kill, do we ban that too?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lol this is so ridiculous.

All I can think of is that Homerpalooza episode of the simpsons where Marge goes "Cannons are designed to hurt! They're designed to hurt!"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Have you ever hosed a watermelon?

No, have you?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The vast vast majority of guns aren't used to kill anyone.

I think we're going to be okay, Lee. We're going to be okay.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Split bolts like in the Witcher 3 or one of those demon hunter abilities in Diablo 3 will work nicely thanks.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

uhhh excuse me guns are for closing theaters

What about Chekov's Gun?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

If Congress is wiped out you're already dead so being able to bear arms doesn't matter.

Washington DC is like the glowing red weak point on a boss I guess.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Do any of you people believe you should defend yourself if attacked or your home is invaded by a criminal?

If you should defend yourself, why not use the most effective means of defense: a gun?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

statistically more people are murdered by family members than strangers, which is why i'm proud that tens of thousands of patriotic and responsible gun owning americans use their constitutionally protected rights to preemptively defend their families from themselves and their minds from the unwanted invasion of suicidal thoughts

Are you referencing that silly rear end Kellerman study again?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

raven4267 posted:

Do you actually want to debate anything or just post stupid one liners?

The anti-gun side has been getting poo poo on for the past decade. Their debate is basically just ineffective bitching and ad hominem at this point. They're a bunch of crybabies who refuse to take responsibility for their own safety or actions, and would prefer to depend on some vague authority figure to do it for them. They just want to punch a fat white redneck strawman and hug each other afterwards.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I know what you said. I also know what you said was a lie. People who don't want to shoot anybody don't talk at great length about how'll they'll totally shoot them some nigg- criminals the second they step foot over their threshold.

So what's your plan for it? Just roll over and give them everything they want?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

sane people don't have plans to deal with an extremely rare event like home invasion. what's your plan for when you get mugged by a leprechaun? (it's to shoot the nearest minority with a gun)

So your plan is for it to just not happen in the first place.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

crabcakes66 posted:

This is funny because any time a legitimate point is brought up by either side it's met with ad hominem attacks red herrings and strawman arguments.

You give a little, you get a little.

Who What Now posted:

Lock my bedroom door, announce where I am and that I am calling the police

You realize you're still 100% at the mercy of the guy(s) in your home. If he wants to break down that door and ensure no witnesses, you have no recourse whatsoever. This exact same scenario works a thousand times better with you pointing a gun at your bedroom door. You don't even need to leave the room.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

raven4267 posted:

So now I abuse my spouse also? I am a liar, a murderer, a psychopath, a sociopath, and a spouse abuser because I own a gun?

Don't get dragged down to their level dude.

They're literal idiots just wanting to circle jerk and punch strawmen.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You realize if someone is intent on killing you they aren't going to be crashing through your house announcing themselves, and you're going to die without ever having a moment to go for your gun, which they probably also stole.

So in your mind it's "nothing I can do, oh well" or "criminal calmly withdraws after I announce the cops are on the way"?

Paint me the scenario you're envisioning here, where you die instantly without any chance to defend yourself.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

well as long as we're talking about extremely unlikely fantasy scenarios i think in a home invasion the best defense is *rolls dice* iron man on speed dial

So it's safe to not have any kind of plan, because "it can never happen to me".

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

congratulations, you've unlocked a new word: 'unlikely'. use it often, and well

You're pretty drat unlikely to get shot in any kind of random shooting spree, yet you're all hot and bothered for gun control. Explain it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

raven4267 posted:

I have never had a house fire, I guess people who do fire drills are stupid for planning for this unlikely scenario.

I threw all my fire extinguishers away because it'll never happen to me. It's just too unlikely to even give it a single thought.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Pretty much, yes. The chances of you needing to defend yourself in the manner you described might as well be 0. You'd be more productive with your time thinking up a plan to survive a unicorn attack.

So why bother with gun control at all? You're not going to get shot. People are unlikely to get shot in general just living their lives.

Or maybe it's some bullshit culture war you've bought into? Really stick it to that fat redneck republican strawman?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Maybe these anti-gun posters secretly get off to the idea of being victimized?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

That's not what the National Basketball Association does.

The NBA and NRA should switch places one day without telling anyone. How fun would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lebron James pulls out a 9 and blasts the guy going for a layup.

Meanwhile a man passes a basketball to a home invader as he climbs through a window and knocks him out.

• Locked thread