Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
If all handguns disappeared it would have way way more of an impact than if all evil black death rifles disappeared. Makes u think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
if gun only for killing, then why target shooting? why 22lr exist?!?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
A 22lr can kill but so can a pointy stick.

The last time I asked someone to imagine they were in charge of designing a gun "purely to kill people", and to explain why on earth they would pick 22lr when many other cartridges are massively more suitable, they explained it would save a murderer maybe $20 in ammunition during their killing spree.

That was the actual reason they gave. "I, Bob GunDesigner, would make the MurderGun 2000 fire 22lr to appeal to budget-conscious mass-murdering lunatic market".

You and Sedanchair are the 2 worst posters on the entire internet but I'm interested in seeing if you have a better explanation than that.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
If guns are only intended for killing people no-one would design, market, or buy one chambered in 22lr, when other alternatives exist which are superior in every relevant way.

The cost difference between killing a man with a 22lr vs a .223, assuming only a single round is required, is less than a dollar. The .223 would be much more effective at much longer ranges, and still have negligible recoil.

If low noise was the goal, any number of subsonic handgun cartridges would fit the bill and do a much better job than a .22lr.

If a cheap firearm was the goal, it isn't any more expensive to make it take .22 magnum, which would be marginally more effective and have no drawbacks.

If guns are only intended for killing people than most bullets fired would end up fired in the direction of human beings. Instead the vast, vast majority end up passing harmlessly through paper targets.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Mate, call an ambulance, I think you're having a stroke.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Effectronica posted:

Important to the magical mind of the gun nut is the belief that because a gun uses a round designed for target shooting, or for killing game birds, it is therefore restrained from being used in violence against humans.

So you agree with me that some cartridges (and logically the guns built to take those cartridges) were designed to have purposes other than killing people (target shooting, hunting). Thanks.

Never said guns were harmless, just that not all guns are built with the sole purpose of killing people.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Given that handguns cause the vast majority of gun crime, and rifles cause virtually none, I propose a "Pistol for AR-15" government exchange program.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I'll support smartguns when they are reliable enough for police to use them.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

You see, target shooting is just practice for killing people which is literally the same thing as killing people, also I am noted retard effectronica.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I have some bullets marked "not suitable for hunting". Like, the manufacturer is actually saying "no guys these are not meant for shooting animals, they will do a bad job, they were designed for targets and that's it".

How can this be??

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know what the numbers mean on the box, but those bullets don't look normal to me.
I think they're for dispelling vampires, or possibly ghosts, I always forget.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
The gunstore near me sells this:

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I probably spend 99% of my hobby time on other things, 1% on guns, yet that makes me a Gun Nut.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
if people were trying to ban power tools without knowing the difference between a hammer and a drill you bet I'd rapidly shitpost about those as well.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
No-one wants to "destroy" a paper target, because that means a long walk to put up another one. The aim is to put a small hole where you want it.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Tezzor posted:

On the one hand, death and serious injury mostly of innocent people. On the other hand, a dude cooing like an imbecile when his toy made something blow up. A short primer on the gun control debate.
It's probably more like 20,000 dudes cooing like imbeciles per 1 grieving family tho.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Young Freud posted:

This is what a lot of European countries do. I know Russia does this, which lead to the strange phenomenon of "self-defense weapons" or "traumatic weapons", which are pistol-shaped objects that fire rubber bullets or gas capsules.

You've also got Australia, champion of the Gun Control side, where airsoft toys are illegal, painball markers require a gun license and must be stored in a safe, and self-defense stuff like pepper-spray is utterly banned.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in order to understand why americans love guns you must first understand that white americans are terrified of less-white people, as degree of darkness indicates degree of criminality

Statistically isn't this correct tho

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
BANG BANG bang THUMPF

"What was that?"

THUMPF

"Maybe if I shoot a few more times it'll fix itself"

THUMPF THUMPF THUMPF

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I think we're at the part where we talk about how many cars/doctors kill people, which will be countered by the claim cars/doctors are an essential part of modern life. A few fringe posters will disagree and propose banning or regulating cars/doctors. Someone will compare guns on private property to cars on private property.

The topic will then change to backyard swimming pools, which are both unnecessary and kill way more kids than guns do.

A new entrant will then bring up an already-settled claim from 10 pages back, using discredited data, and the dance will begin again.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
My money says the first bullet never made it out the barrel due to improper burning of the propellent (a squib). The shooter didn't notice and proceeded to fire a bunch more rounds.

This can happen if you screw-up your reloads and aren't paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

The Insect Court posted:

You're vastly overestimating the number of tiny-dicked cripplingly insecure manboys who can't face the rigours of modern life without the security blanket of their AR-15.

~300 million guns, ~10,000 gun murders per year. My bullshit guess was surprisingly accurate.

e: OK allowing for multiple guns per owner I'm still within an order of magnitude.

• Locked thread