Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LeeMajors posted:

Guns exist purely for the purpose of killing other people and make deadly violence as easy as pulling a trigger.

What???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was doing some reading just now about guns and I was shocked to learn that guns can be used to kill things. I learned that guns have been used in conflicts large and small all over the world for the express purpose of killing. Did you know that guns shoot "bullets" which are small pieces of metal designed to cause injuries and even death? Really shocking, not sure what to think about guns anymore.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SedanChair posted:

9mm vs. .45 ACP

STOPPING POWER!!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Elman posted:

Are people actually asking for a full ban? That'd be dumb.

I know poo poo all about cars, but I can still confidently say there needs to be a way to make sure people driving actually know how to drive and are capable of doing so safely. I'm sure without those controls a lot of people would still learn how to drive properly and be responsible about it, but it's best for society as a whole if we make sure that's really the case.

I also know poo poo all about weapons, but I do know the way things are now in the US criminals and crazy people can very easily get their hands on one, so you guys should try to do something about that. This doesn't mean banning guns, not even their use for self-defense, but it does mean some kind of control. You might even call it gun control.

Wait what if we have a total prohibition on being crazy that could stop other problems too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Elman posted:

Careful you might cut someone with that edge.

Seriously tho other countries seem to have this poo poo down maybe you should look into it or something I dunno

vvvvv I don't even mean guns, just the "crazy people exist, can't do anything about that" angle

Okay let me get this straight; your argument is that being crazy is good? Obviously being crazy is bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

radical meme posted:

I have four gun stories for you guys from my personal life. The facts are true but the names are left out to protect the idiots and tragic victims involved.

1) I had a friend in high school who two years after we graduated came home one day and walked into his brothers room just as his brother was pulling the trigger on a rifle he had in his mouth.

2) I had a friend in college who got drunk one night, lost his keys, walked home and, when he couldn't get his roommate to wake up, or at least he thought he couldn't, climbed through a window and was shot in the back by his roommate, who thought he was shooting a burglar. The guy barely lived, his spine was hosed up, he used a wheelchair for over a year, then walked with two crutches for several years, then with the aid of a single cane for several more years and now is able to walk unaided with a noticeable limp.

3) I worked with a lady who was out one night with her boyfriend. They came home to his house just in time to meet a burglar coming out of her boyfriend's front door. The burglar shot her boyfriend in the chest with the boyfriend's gun that he had stolen from the nightstand next to her boyfriend's bed. Her boyfriend lived.

4) My brother was dating a lady who had a younger brother in college in West Texas. One night her brother and some friends decided to do what drunk college kids in West Texas are prone to do, go spotlight and kill varmints in the fields of West Texas. They had a pickup, a driver, a spotlight guy in the passenger seat and two of them standing in the back with a .22 pistol trying to shoot anything smaller than a cow that moved. The truck hit a bump, the gun went off and the brother died with a bullet in his heart.

That's all I got. I don't know any good stories about guns.

I have just 1 gun story; one time my ancestors picked up guns and fought off the british and now I have freedoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One thing to consider is that if we keep guns out of the hands of criminals there won't be any armed criminals therefore defeating the point of owning a gun for self defense in the first place. This is why I feel that tax breaks for gun safes is a bad idea.

• Locked thread