Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 2: Albert Hijacks the Story

"All right, come along then, but no gettin' in the way, y'hear?"
"N-no, of course not! Thank you so much, I won't let you down!"
"Yeah, well let's get movin'. The guys in the village aren't gonna see that we're missing come dinnertime, but they'll see that our servings aren't claimed.

The logic I have here is that Albert will probably only do like 2 DMG to the boss, but he will hopefully be faster than it and heal before it kills anyone.
Hopefully the boss doesn't kill him in one turn, but we'll see.

Albert, off to a promising start and gaining all the stats that Sif wants.

"So this monster business, has it always been this way in Valhalland?"
"Naw, just these past few years, actually. It's been gettin' warmer here lately and there's been more game for us to hunt, but way more monsters to slay."
"I see.."
"Maybe it's because Valhallans these days are too slack with the beasts, but can't think of anything to explain this temperature."
"Well actually, it appears as though monsters are on the rise all over the world. In fact my home place, Isthmus Keep was taken by monsters shortly after they made residence in nearby caves. Perhaps it is related to something larger and more serious?"

"Uh.."
"Is something the matter?
"This area's too wooded for where we're supposed to be, must've walked too far south. Let's head back, and for future reference, don't make me think, walk and talk, it throws off my sense of direction."
"Hey wait! What is this place?"
" Well, I guess since we're here, and Elder told me to look after you, it wouldn't hurt to take a quick look, let's go."

"I have never seen anything like this before, it's unreal!"
"Dunno what the hell it's supposed to be, but my Pa and his folks always told me that there's somethin' valuable in there that some heroes need to get when the time comes. Course it's frozen over now and Valhalland men these days have as much bravery as the knights to the north, but c'mon, let's go take a closer look.
"I-is it safe?"
"It's been frozen longer than anyone can remember, so it'll probably stay that way long enough for one kid and his guide."

"Now these days the village punks just use this place as a drinking ground because there's no monsters around, but there used to be a lot of rituals, prayers to bring heroes and other crap here."

"The ice used to cover the entire fortress, but now people can almost get inside."
"Monsters.. legendary artefacts long inaccessible now becoming accessible.. heroes.. we truly are entering into a Neo-Mirsa era. Though exciting as it may be to finally rediscover our history, it chills me to know that Saruin is only in slumber, not eternally with his brother, the King of Souls, Death."
"You're saying weird things again, maybe the cold's getting to you. We should head back and finish what we were asked to do, the caves should be warmer."
"I'm not cold, I just wanted to explore a bit mo- hey wait Sif!"
*Albert trips on the ice*
"Ouch!"

"Well here we are, remember your role?"
"Distract the enemy as much as I can without getting in your line of fire and administer a Balm should either of us bleed out of control?"
"Perfect, let's go. One more thing, Al?"
"Yes?"
"If the monsters knock you out, try to fall on them, you might just trip them up or something helpful."
"I-I will try to remember that."
"Right then, let's go kick some monster rear end! Like hell I'm gonna let Heimdall close the village gates on us and eat my caribou rations!"

"Huh, Loki might be an all thumbs sort of idiot, but his recon is sure spot on. Haha, but that dork still managed to screw up by giving me more work."

"My, I have never seen so many demons before!"
"Guess Elder Gato doesn't call this place Demon Cave for nothing, eh? Still, there's sure a hell of a lot more of them in their hideout than the other parts of the cave."
"Well, it looks like the south-west and north-east paths are dead ends, let's try the north-west path, the demons are the strongest in that direction, but the boss must be behind them!"
"Someone's in a rush to get out of here, personally I like killing demons, it means I can spend all day inside of a warm cave. Or is it that you're that hungry? Don't worry, I'm sure if I threaten Loki enough he'll spare you some ale and a leg."
"No, I want to see what is at the end of the Demon Cave, there may be something there that is vital to explaining why Isthmus Keep fell so easily."
"So you do have motivations coming along to kill demons, and here I thought you just wanted to come along to get stronger. Look sharp kid, there's demons comin' towards us."

"Gargoyles, eh? I knew a tribe that used Gargoyle heads as village decorations, but it pissed the Gargoyles off and they all got together one day and wiped the whole tribe out."

"Al, what the hell is that green thing?"
"It's a plant, Sif."
"I've never seen anything like it before! What the hell do we do with it?"
"Yes you have, your village is surrounded with trees which are of the same species as plants. But in any case, it is threatening to eat us, so we should most likely slay it."
("We must be deep underground where it is warm enough for flora and fauna to spawn. I shall try to explain what plants are once we are back in Gato's Village.")

"Ah, my mortal rival, no one's getting kicked to death today!"

"How does it feel, being beaten to death at the most inconvenient place ever?! Y'little poo poo."
"Is there some kind of vendetta being fulfilled that I am missing out on here?.."

Just where IS Sif getting all these Charisma level ups from? :iiam:

Albert and Sif also get some well timed rank ups before the boss fight.

In terms of stats, I haven't really bothered grinding because I'm stuck with bottom tier weapons and two characters, however SNES SaGa is pretty lax about the availability of quests as opposed to the PS2 version. So in theory, I COULD grind and make the coming boss cakewalk, but I want to save the grinding until we have a full party and actual weapons that are worth ranking up.

"You better be the one who's really in charge in here, cuz' like hell I'm coming back in here if there's another fake wall with you creeps behind it!"
"Just behind him may be the answer to what I am seeking, let's go Sif!"

"Aw crap, it's a Brute!"
"Why, it is simply a Gargoyle with a sword. Does the sword make that much of a difference?"
"Long answer, it has rear end kicking techniques and a hell of a lot more health than a regular Gargoyle and can take even me out with a few blows, short answer, yes."

"Hmph, well no matter, we shall match the art of the demonic blade with that of my own ability that I have acquired! Engarde!"

:devil: "..."

"Nngh! It's.. not over, fiend, I shall strike again!"
"Hey Al.."

"Lemme handle it, you'd best be stickin' with our plan, y'hear?"

"Yes Sif.."

Oh yes, asides from increased damage, ranking weapons up allows one to use techniques. For newer SaGa players, the older SaGa games (this one and the Gameboy entries) did not use the glimmer system, which for the new readers is a system the new SaGas have in place which somewhat randomly gives the characters techniques as they use weapons that can be used with any weapon type that the glimmer came from.
As we covered before, weapon rank is locked to the weapon being used, but so are weapon techniques. Fortunately, each weapon has their own techniques with different gimmicks, so it's no big deal if we get a Garal Axe next chapter but level the Axe up because the Axe will still have its use with its unique techniques.

Here, we got 'Tomahawk' which allows the Axe to be used from the back rows. This is a very helpful technique when used in an ambush battle.

Granted it does reduced damage and has no real use on the front lines.

"I'm helping! I'm helping!"

"I'm-

"Argh.."
"Ugh! You'll pay for that!"

And he does!
Really as long as Albert is with you and is healing at every turn, even if he dies, Sif should have taken out enough HP to go on without him. Sif should be able, from base to be able to take three Falcon Slashes, which is just enough to get by on her own, providing she doesn't miss or anything.

If you DO die, you don't get a game over, you instead spawn right beside him with 1HP and a chance to restart, but you'll probably never win with 1HP anyway, so it's best just to return to Gato's Village, heal, maybe buy more Balms and try again.

"Hey, you okay kid?"
"Yeah, I think I will pull through. The end of the cave is right there, let us go."

"Sorry Al, there ain't anything here except for a couple of Einherjar."
"So the markings in Isthmus Cave were exclusive to the cave then.. what does it all mean therefore, and why does Valhalland face similar issues as the isthmus, yet have such different circumstances?.."

"There's no use wafflin' about it inside of a monster's den. Come, you need rest and I need mead."

Romancing SaGa does not use the LP system, which fully restores the party's HP after every battle, but only allows a character die so many times before they were removed from the party. Of course the drawback of letting a character die as much as the player lets them is that they are revived after every battle, but with only 1 HP.

"Ah here we are home sweet home!"
"Do you think we can visit the elder immediately? There is something I wish to discuss of utmost importance. I do not need rest just yet."
"Wha-? Well sure, but you're bleedin' all over. You sure you don't need rest?"
"I am fine, now please, let us talk with the elder."

(The PS2 remake has actual town themes as opposed to just playing the character's theme 90% of the game. This is the theme of Gato's Village, it matches the PS2's peaceful, dimly lit and chill version of Gato's Village quite well, I find.)

"Back all ready, you two? Well done, I knew I could rely on the both of you! The village should be safe from monsters for a long time.
"Thank you, Elder Gato, though I am unworthy of your praise, it does me well to know that I have aided the Valhallands."
"Ohhohoho, as nobly spoken as always, Sif could learn a thing or two from you on proper language. Is there anything else you wish to discuss?
"Yes there is as a matter of fact. Though your people kindly welcome me and I embrace the serenity Valhalland offers, I must return to my own country to report the fall of Isthmus Keep to the Prince of Rosalia. Tell me Elder, is there any way that I can return to Rosalia?"
"Rosalia.. Rosalia.. though I be no traveller, I do have some modest ability in map reading. Let's see here.. you can probably find a ship to Rosalia in the Knights Dominion. Sif, take this map of the Knight's Dominion and lead him there."
"Wha-"
"Now listen well Sif, for I will only say this once. Valhalland no longer faces any serious threat from monsters, we needn't your strength here, it would only go to waste if used on harmless game. I feel it in these old bones of mine, this lad here will soon be an important figure in deciding the fate of Mardias, and I want you to make sure he remains alive until the time comes. Now go Sif, for the legendary Valhalland we tribesmen have spoke of who will thaw the Ice Fortress and retrieve the treasure may be you!"
"Is this about the broken window two lunar cycles ago? because I swear I can explain-"
"Of course not you silly woman! The entirety of the village knows it was Loki tripping over a rabbit hole. Now go and return only when the land thaws and you have the strength to enter the Ice Fortress!"
"Hmph fine then, I better not find a single trace of anyone being in my house when I get back. The Knights Dominion is far west of here. Let's head out!"
"Be careful!"

"You are not going to say goodbye to the residents of your village, Sif?"
"Naw, better not, I still owe Sigurd a keg's worth of drinks after my poker losing streak, and Nanna's prolly still pissy with me after smashin' up her garden with my brawl with Tyr. Let's just get outta here, the longer we wait, the more I'll want to bring my kegs of booze."

"Have you ever left Valhalland, Sif?"
"Nope, my Ma's from up north, and we occasionally have to deal with Dominion Knights, but never left the place myself."

"Welp, here's the border, guess there's a first time for everything."
"Let's go, and find a ship to Rosalia!"

And so begins the grand adventure of Sif the Valhallan and her companion Albert, Son of Rudolph, Lord of the Isthmus and their quest to find way via ship to the Kingdom of Rosalia. What awaits them in the Knight's Dominion, what kind of people will they meet and what potential problems will they face? Tune in next time for another exciting episode of Let's Play Romancing SaGa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GeneralContempt posted:

Alrighty then, so it looks like Sif now has herself her first accomplice ally! I'll try to have Sif 2 up by Sunday at least.

Also new pics are up, take a look if you want to, otherwise wait until Sif 2 to look at them. I didn't change any dialogue, narration or anything, but the pictures are there in top quality in the event that the blurriness of the previous pictures understandably took away from the experience.

Also thanks, Yapping Eevee for showing me VirtualDub, it's actually a lot handier than I thought it would be with getting those nickpicky frames perfect for capture.

Virtualdub can also create gifs! It's under file > export > gif. Not necessarily useful, though you can show off some of the cooler spell animations with it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are there, like, health potions in this game? You're talking up spawning at 1 HP like it's a big setback.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are there, like, health potions in this game? You're talking up spawning at 1 HP like it's a big setback.

Yes, they are called Balms, there's even healing magic further down the road. It's not so much of a big setback than it is an inconvenience, especially at early game when your resources are paltry and you need every bit of gold to buy a better weapon for your weaker units like Albert to actually do damage. Most characters begin with three Balms with three uses and usually it's all you need before you recruit a character to train as a mage to heal your group. Even then, initially beginning with magic only gives you three points which means an early game mage can only heal a unit three times before they have to walk around with 1 HP for the dungeon, and just pray it's not someone like Sif who does the bulk of early game party damage.
Dying in battle however, is a whole other story. Where other SaGas just let you heal a fallen unit with a common Balm or healing magic, you need expensive resurrection items and magic to revive a character in battle in this game.
EDIT: And only certain early game bosses let you try again, dying from anything else otherwise, is a game over.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2015

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 3: In Which We Somehow Manage to Piss David Bowie Off
A couple of days have passed since our heroes departed from Valhalland, and tensions are rising and friendly, sociable personas are swiftly fading.

"Look, just give me the map Sif."
"No way nerd, you'll get us lost."
"And walking around the same rock structure for two hours does not classify as lost?"
"What, we weren't- oh hey you're right, that rock DOES look like a horse!"
*Albert snatches the map out of Sif's hands*
"Hey! You cruisin' for a bruisin'?!"

"Now let's see here.. Mirsaburg should be- oh no!"
"What now?"
"There appears to be a large liquid stain where Mirsaburg should be on this map, Mirsaburg could be anywhere!"
"Hey don't look at me, it's your fault for giving me the map so early in the morning while I was still drinking my hard coffee!"
"That does it! I will be in charge of the map."
"No skin off my rear end, now where to next, kid?"
"It looks like there is a place called Eugenstadt to the north, let's head there and see if we can get directions to Mirsaburg."

"Look, it's more of that green stuff, and this heat is really something else!"
"Why, it's only 20 centigrade, Dominion Summers are quite mild I find. Rosalian and Bafalian Summers can get up to high 30s."
"Well just this weather is draining me, let's just find out what road to take and sit for a bit."

"Excuse me, we are lost and wondering if-
"That Raphael is really something, huh? He'll go from square to knight in no time!"
"I dunno, he's kinda flaky, isn't he?"
"But that's what I like about him! He's the kind of knight I want to protect me!"
"......."
"I say, excuse me ladies, we are lost travellers and would like some help."
"What? Oh hi, I didn't see you there. What's with the fancy dialect, are you like a rich Rosalian or something?"
"Er, well.."
"If you're lost, then why not ask Lord Heinrich for directions? I heard from Frederike over at the magic shop just the other day that another group of travellers got stranded here and Lord Heinrich helped them out."
"You don't say? Well if you're going to visit Lord Heinrich, give Sir Raphael my regards!" *Horrid girly giggles*
"......."

"You have been silent for some time. Are you well Sif?"
"I'm fine, some women just stress me out."

"It appears we are going the wrong way (again), Sif."
"I know, but I ain't in any rush to meet this Lord Heinrich or whatever, while we're here, might as well look around. Besides, I kinda wanna see what Dominion weapons are like."

"Hm, not much, eh? Still better than Valhalland's stock, but I guess 'flaky' knights need strong armour."
(We buy a Spear for reasons that will be explained later)

"Hey, what's this?"
"We really ought to be meeting Sir Heinrich soon or we will be navigating the roads by moonlight."
"There is a picture of a fist over this store. I don't ask for much Al, but when a store's advertising a fist, we go in."

"Huh? There's nothing for sale in here."
"Welcome to the Eugenstadt dojo! What are you looking for?"
"What's for sale?"

"The list is right here, madam. In addition to martial arts, we also deal in motivation, curing any illness and dealing with demonic possessions."
"Guess I'll take a punch?"
"Would madam like it wrapped?"

"Naw I'll wear it out."
"A fine choice. Thank you for your business and we hope you have future dealings with our establishment."
"Yeah thanks, see ya around."

"NOW we can visit this Lord Heinrich character."

"Well here we are, hope Lord Heinrich has a booze stash. I usually don't like beer, but if that's all the Dominion has, I guess I can have a couple of pints."
"From the sizes of so called 'pints' I saw in Valhalland, I suggest ordering a pitcher."
"But hey, you should probably get in front of me and do that whole 'son of Rodolph, lord of whatever' schpeel, there's guards."

*Sif slowly edges her way to the castle, holding Albert in front of her as if he were some sort of diplomatic shield*

"Hello welcome to Eugenstadt," this castle belongs to Heinrich, Lord of Eugenstadt.
"Yes yes, move along, move along, this is in fact a real noble in front of me and he's just on his way to talk with other nobles, so if you'll excuse us..."

*Albert somehow manages to free himself from Sif's iron grasp*

"Yes good afternoon sir, I am wonder if Lord Heinrich is in? We are lost and wish for directions."
"You are the third group this week who winded up lost in Eugenstadt. No matter, Lord Heinrich is in and is available to see guests."
"Perfect, may we enter?"
"Yes of course, do make yourselves comfortable. Do you require assistance?"
"That will not be needed, thank you for your time."
"Have a good say, sir and madam."

"What the hell was that?"
"That, is what we 'nobles' refer to as civility."

"Hello?"

"Hellooooo?"
"Jeez, no wonder why this place is guarded by two Walmart greeters, there's no one in here."
"Why don't we try the foyer again? I get the feeling we missed something important when we bypassed the stairs with red carpet."

"I never said I was here to guide you through fancy bureaucratic mansions n' poo poo, I'm just here to kill things for you."
"What a lively pair visiting us today!"
"!! Ah m'lord, my apologies for my companion's crude language. I am Albert, son of Rudolph, Lord of the isthmus."
"And hey, I'm Sif of the Valhallans."
"Welcome to Eugenstadt! I am Heinrich, Lord of this castle. And lastly, we have.."
"Hello. I am Raphael squire to Lord Heinrich. I'm training to be a knight.
"(Psst, hey Al, he DOES look kinda flaky.)"
"(Shh!)"
"I would love to stay and chat with you, but we knights are holding a meeting in Mirsaburg."
"Mirsaburg.. hey, that's where we were headed to, right Al?"
"Yes that is correct, we were just en route to ask your Lordship for directions to Mirsaburg."
"Well this works out perfectly then! Why don't you come along, we can talk on the way there. Come, Raphael!"

"And that was the last time I ever paid a Rosalian mistress!"
"Ahhahaha!"
"..."
"......"
"Ahem. Welcome to Mirsaburg. I am Constance, daughter of Theodore."
"Hey, I'm Sif of the Valhallans."
"I am Albert, son of Rudolph, Lord of the isthmus."
"Hey Constance, remember me?"
"Hmph!"
"Aw c'mon, you weren't like that a couple of nights ago in the ail hous-"
"Anyway, Raphael please inform our visitors of the Dominion's current situation."
"Yes milady. *grin*"
"Heinrich and Theodore lead the knights. Heinrich is their shield and Theodore is their sword."
"Yet the knights seem to have lost their spirit lately."
"That aside, welcome to Mirsaburg. I am Lord Theodore. Heinrich I doubt this meeting will be a success."
"Agreed. However we must still try our best. By the way, where is Lady Flammar?"
"She should be heading to the conference room now."
"I see. Let us join her."
"Sire if you may, we really only came to Mirsaburg in order to-"
"Let's just go with them, I wanna see these Dominion knights in action."

"By the way Sif, you really should not sit there."
"One more order out of you today kid, and I'm gonna belt ya one so hard that you'll be flying to Rosalia."
"N-no it's not that, it's just that that seat is typically reserved for the Lady of the castle."

Later in the conference room..

"Raphael, what is it you wish to discuss?"
"We need to dispatch a force to deal with the monsters that have appeared. However no one wants to do so because of the money involved."
"Well that's easy, why don't you just go in there yourself and smash them for free?"
"Well.."
"The Dominion's strength comes from numbers and bravery. Just one knight cannot take on an entire regiment of monsters."
"Oh hey Lady Flammar, didn't see you there."
"I call this meeting to order! Theodore, please go over the meeting agenda."
"Swarms of monsters have appeared in the western mountains. I propose we dispatch a unit to eradicate them."
"How much damage have these monsters caused? As long as they aren't wrecking havoc, I say we leave them be."
"Would you allow monsters to roam freely in the Knight's Dominion? Where is your pride as a knight?!"
"War costs money."
"If we leave them alone, they will likely leave on their own accord. It would be best to conserve our funds."
"Money, money, money! You knights are a disgrace."
"Silence! Only the knights may speak!"
"Hmph! Young people these days have no decorum! Squires should be seen and not heard!"
"Hmph..."
"Don't worry, I'll knock him out later."
"I be no knight, but might I be allowed to speak?"
"Of course, Lady Flammar."
"Thank you. Ours isn't the only region beset by a recent surge in monster activity. Rumours have it that Isthmus Castle was destroyed by monsters."
"I was there!"
"Shh! Didn't you hear Lord Heinrich? Only knights can speak!"
"..."
"Isthmus Castle...? It can't be!"
"Where did these monsters come from? I feel this matter warrants an investigation."
"Thank you for your input, Lady Flammar. Now, who is in favour of this proposition?"

They added an animation for Theodore raising his hand. he's so enthusiastic!

"Aye!"
"...No one else? Very well! Proposition denied. Let us adjourn."
"Then I shall go alone! I must preserve my honour as a knight!"

Back in the throne room in Mirsaburg...

"So you really plan to go?"
"Of course! I must set a proper example to the rest of the knights. I ask that you stay behind and keep the young ones from doing anything foolish."
"Please let me come with you!"
"Absolutely not. You would only be in Theodore's way."
"Wait! Let us give Raphael a chance. I know you are concerned for his safety, but I will look after him."
"Thank you."
"Constance! Make preparations for our departure!"
"Yes, Father. So that is two loaves of bread, three cooked ducks, twelve bottles of Valhallan mead, four.."
"Twelve bottles of the good stuff?! I'd like to come with you!"
"I admire your ferocity! I would be honoured to have you along!"
"I shall pray for your success in battle, Sif."
"Thank you for fighting on the knight's behalf!"
"The time of Saruin's release is imminent..."

Woop. Pallet swaps for our Dominion friends.

Their stats however, vary drastically and mirror the Albert/Sif relation closely.

Theodore is skilled with his Iron Sword more than Albert, but thanks to his stats, he's actually going to kill a lot of things with his Iron Sword.

Him and Raphael come with the exact same equipment set which means free Wood Shields for Albert and Sif.
He comes with a free Gothic Armour in the PS2 version, which was probably 100x better than anything you had at that point.

Raphael gets the Spear for reasons which are now relevant.

You are only allowed three people in the front lines, while the second row allows only long range techniques, spears, bows and magick to be used while the third row allows techniques, bows and magick.
Granted, Raphael's probably going to mirror Albert's damage output, it's better having him do actual damage than simply defend the entire mission.

"Sif for heaven's sake! Lord Theodore and the rest of the Dominion Lords are right there!"

"Tis Lady Constance's room, milady."

"Hey, don't those pillars near the water seem out of place?"
"They are merely for decorative cause. Pay them no heed."

"Huh it looks like this leads to somewhere, even Lord Theodore doesn't know about this place. I bet there's hidden treasure in there!"
"..."

"Milady, it appears that this passage merely leads to the dungeons. Please, let us turn back."
"Hey what's that?"

"Please milady! I beg you, my daughter wishes to attend schooling in the Bafal Empire!"

"Ha! Score! Now I can go back to that dojo and buy a kick!"
"I am sorry my dear Constance, so truly sorry.."

"Seems a lot bigger on the outside, doesn't it?"

"I heard there are monsters in the western mountains. Maybe I should flee to Estamir."
"Have no fear! The Dominion Knights are once again on the job!"
"A Dominion Knight is not a braggart."
"Ah, erm.."
"Remember that well, young squire."

"I heard there are monsters to the west of here, but I'm sure the knights'll protect us! "
"Yup, I ain't a knight, but that's the general idea."

"Boo! The Knights suck!"
"Has the honour of the Dominion Knights faded so much that even children have no fear of voicing their opinions in front of their lord?"
"You should hear what they call the Knights when Lord Theodore isn't around."

"Still no axes, huh?"
"Axes are more of a Bafalian and Valhallan fighting style."

"The monsters are in a fortress to the west of here. Let's head out!"

"Here we are, welcome to the Fortress of Dell."
"Ugh of course there's slimes everywhere, me and them go way back."

"Originally this fortress was built as a bastion against the Kjaraht Empire beyond the mountains. However with the three centuries of peace with Kjaraht, there has been little use for it."
"All that's here now are slimes and fairies."
"I find it depressing in to see such an important piece of history neglected and claimed by monsters."
"Bah! You've seen the way the knights think, preserving history costs money and they'd no sooner let their history rot than spend a dime restoring this fortress."
"Sorry to distract you guys, but that door is oozing. We best prepare to immediately smash whatever is on the other side of that door."

Just a quick sneak peek of what Albert will be getting sooner or later. This is that move that Brute used on us last chapter that totally kicked Albert's rear end. It has the same gimmick as Sif's Tomahawk move, that is the ability to use it on any row.

And Raphael is just Albert without the spray on tan look and with a Spear.
"Green Slimes, eh? I once took out six of them by mysel-"

"Ah yes, Green Slimes, it is a requirement for anyone wishing to become a Knight to be able to slay a legion of Green slimes."
"..."

"My word, Lord Theodore is so strong, perhaps even stronger than you, Sif! I learned so much from just watching a single stroke of his sword!"
"..."

"Tis' merely gold. I have heard tale that you Valhallans call it Einherjar as it is commonly found amongst dead creatures, am I right?"
"Yeah, we do. Hey Al, do they call it anything anywhere else?"
"Just gold as far as I know."

This is one of the approximate ten times you actually get something that ISN'T gold from a treasure.

And it's the most basic in terms of cranial protection.

Knowing SaGa, they probably had the content of each chest meticulously planned out, but ran out of time and money and said "screw it, let's just fill all the treasure with gold instead of what we originally planned".

"Y'know, maybe going into this tight area wasn't a good idea, ya hear the monsters clawing to get in?"
"No matter, we shall fight our way out!"
"Yeah!"

"She's still pretty cute even when she doesn't look like a faerie."
"Raaaaalphie!"

"Huh? How does that even work?"
"Dunno, I find when I punch things hard enough, it doesn't matter what state of matter they are in, they die."
*While still confused about Sif just punching a gelatinous creature to death, Albert merely smiles and shrugs at our young knight in training*

"So what the hell's the deal with this fortress anyway? Why is it all twisty and full of dead ends?"
"Being a fortress designed on defence against Kjaraht, it naturally took many Kjaraht soldiers prisoner as well. The confusing design was planned for escapees and invaders, as each crevice would house hidden guards."
"Looks like the design is working against us, however. We have not been in here long and we have already have had to fight a many of battles. "

The bottom path just leads to you guessed it- gold and angry Amazon faeries!

"A knight is diligent in his training!"

"You know, I've heard tale of a wandering grove called Faerie's Grove. It is said that if one sits on the throne located within the inner reaches, they will receive the Faerie King's blessing."
"Ha! Looks like we pissed the Faerie King off somehow, he's sending half his troops on us!"

"Jeez, keep that up, and you might just replace the kid as my official lackey."
"Hey!"
"Calm down, I'm only jokin'. Elder Gato would probably make me go live with the Vanir tribe if I ditched ya."

"Ah yes, the stairs to the basement should be beyond that door. Let us proceed!"

"So this is the dungeon? I suppose the living conditions three hundred years ago were not as luxuriant as they are today, especially for prisoners of war."
"Proceed with caution, the floor seems unstable and the ceiling appears to have collapsed in some areas as well."

At last, Sif's first HP gain! Vitality determines how big your HP growth is, and it just so happens Sif has one of the best Vit growths in the game, and has Karate Mom to help her out more.

"If you're nice to me and let me have the bed near the window next time, I might just buy you a sword the next city we go to."

"..crap, I think we fell for the monster trick again."

"I remember when Ma used to be angry with Pa, she would hit him like this.."

"The enemies seem to be intensifying, perhaps we are near their leader?"
"Who cares? Look yonder, treasure!"
"Yeah treasure, let's go get it!"
"Wait you fools!"

"Sorry did you say something?"
"...too late."

"Gods! They are upon us!"

"Our battle order is all confused!"
"Don't worry about it, old man, I got this."

"Ha! Bullseye!"

"I must learn that technique.."
(Characters can gain stat ups from doing absolutely nothing in battle).

"Another day Al, let's just hurry up and finish this up."

"Huh? What is this?"
"Thought you said this was the lowest floor?"
"It is- or was. It appears the monsters have dug out another floor in our absence from this fort."
"At least we aren't midway back to Mirsaburg when we found out about this hole, eh?"

"How could monsters construct something so thorough?"
"Not all monsters are wordless beasts, some, especially of the lizard and demon class are known to surpass the average human in intellect."
"Those are usually the jerks who cast magick and use sword techniques."

"It's a dead end."
"What? The path is right in front of you."
"No, it's totally solid, see?"
*Sif places her hand in front of the so called "dead end"*

"What is this witchcraft?!"
"Tis' an odd dimension which we cannot see. I am told that Rosalian scholars refer to it as '3D'"
I don't like it, is there something on my head? My hair feels short.
No, I am afraid I cannot see anything either.
Me neither!

"Whoo, glad that's outta the way."

"I guess this is the only way, the boss should be past this 3D thing."
"Or maybe my hair is tucked inside the horn shaped thing on my head?.."

"I wonder what he looks like in 3D? What the hell am I doing, thinking about such weird things when there's something to kill right in front of me!"
"I got the Balms ready!"

"A Snakeman? Hohoho it looks like our luck has turned around, we may not have to administer Balms at all, lad."

"Lord Theodore didn't kill it in one hit? That's a first, didn't even know it was possible, to be honest."

"Hmph, would I have known that such a weakling was in charge of the monsters, I would have truly gone alone."

"Ha! Weakling indeed! This should do it, hyaaaaa!"

"...you know what old man Theodore? You win this round."

"For the integrity of the entire Dominion!"

"It looks as though the monsters have left their gold stash behind that door."

"Sweet, looks like booze is on me tonight, guys!"
"A glass of white wine sounds good about now."
"Just a beer for me, Mirsaburg's finest if I may?"
"Gimme a couple of shots of vodka and move on to sipping on whiskey for the rest of the night. What? I deserve it, it's been one a helluva day!"

"Hahaha, you're all right Raphael, you're all right."

"We were able to wipe out the monsters with your help. Thank you!"
"Yeah no prob old man, it was a lot of fun. Plus me and Al now have enough cash to travel to Rosalia."
"I learned a lot from you, Sif."
"Remember, liquor before beer, you're in the clear, beer before liquor, never been sicker."
"Perhaps now the other knights will change their tune..."
"Well done, Sif! I knew you would return triumphant."
"Hate to say it, but most of the credit goes to your Pa over there. Someday I'd like to take him on myself when I'm strong enough, it's a Valhallan tradition."
"Hohoho, Sif of the Valhallans, I shall await your return. In the meantime, I am in your debt."
"Oh! Sif..."
"Now Raphael can be knighted!"
"Why don't you become a knight as well, Sif?"
"Naw, I don't got time to wear clad armour and sit in a castle, I got a world to explore and a kid to drop off in Rosalia!"
"No matter, with Raphael's training over and Dell Fortress free of monsters, I say this calls for celebration!"
"Yeah!"
"Again? I'll be waiting in the inn, Sif. Let us depart tomorrow."

-More crazy partying, somewhere in there, Raphael does a mean Hollaback Girl on karaoke, Sif draws something obscene on a sleeping Albert's face and Lord Heinrich pukes into the sea. Next morning...

"So you're heading out.. you can catch the boat either to North Estamir or Yeoville, either will get you to Rosalia."
"Thanks old man for everything, I think the Dominion is a great place, and I'll definitely come back sometime to see you all again."
"Farewell Lords of the Dominion and I pray next time we meet it will be over the greatness and bravery of the Knights!"

"I knew I could count on the knights!"

"The knights are awesome!"

"Well looks like this is it, Al. You nervous?"
"Anxious to tell Prince Neidhart of the isthmus's fall would be a better description."
"Looks like the ship's leaving soon, let's get on board. Never been on the sea myself, should be pretty cool."

Two hours later..

(While patting Sif's back) "It will be fine Sif, just keep your eyes closed, head off the deck and hands held on to something. Preferably not there, because that part is covered with your- ..puke...
No, no one's going to think less of you, you are a Valhallan not a Coral Sea pirate, you are not used to this. Only a couple of hours remaining.
No, we cannot swim from here, nor can the captain lend you his rum, I don't think he would appreciate that very much."

Still a couple of hours later..

"*Sigh* once again my companion is passed out intoxicated. Only I suppose this time I can understand, the sea is truly a frightful place, I am still scared of it."

And finally...

"North Estamir, land ho!"
"Wait for me, Sif!"

"..remind me to climb through the mountains next time we have to go to another continent. I need a drink."

"Hmm, 'Innkeeper's Daughter Sacrificed to Saruin','That Awful Butterfly is Finally Dealt With', 'Aurefront Gold Mine Assault Foiled By a Dancing Superstar, Official Fired'. Man all the exciting stuff happens in Bafal!"

"Hey, I'll have the usual."
"Ah, you must be Sif. Needless to say, we've heard about you. It will take some time to prepare your order, why don't you go have a look around while you wait?"

"Long ago, a vampire from the west terrorized this town. But Saint Agnes smote the foul creature with a holy chalice."
"Hey my Pa used to do the exact same thing! Only his cup sure wasn't holy."

"They say when Estamir was invaded, the Kjaraht army appeared out of nowhere!"
"Ah yes, the legend of the Assassin's Guild and the corruption of the monarchy of Kjaraht, it actually is quite an interesting tale."
"Hey do you nerds mind? All this history talk is killin' my buzz."

"Nobles from the former Kingdom of Estamir are buried in the catacombs. The Kjarahts won't go near it though. They think it's cursed!"
"Really? I have heard rumours that there are grave robbers who plunder the mummies below for profit."
"Oh definitely, who wouldn't want to get themselves a jar of mummy powder? I heard it does wonders for the skin!"
"Rosalians..."

"Okay that's enough walking, time to drink."
"Hey there, handsome warrior woman."
"Oh god, what's this now?"
"That's sure a lot of booze for one pretty lady."
"This has never happened to me before. Albert! Aaaaaalbert! I need your smart assery here right now!"

"That little poo poo must've already gone to the inn. Err.. so what's your name? I'm kinda new here."

Choice Time!

I'm ditching town for the week, so I'll collect votes on Friday.

Extra!
Myriam:

Pearls, spandex and hoop earrings, classy.

Myriam is one of three characters who is specifically designed to be a mage. She's also one of few party members who doesn't have a playable storyline but is 100% guaranteed at any point recruitable in all scenarios, a Mei-Ling (SaGa Frontier) sort of speak, only Myriam doesn't hang out with disturbing demihuman things with disturbing storylines.
Careful though, because if you dismiss her, she's gone from the game forever, while you can re-recruit most other storyline characters.

She comes with 8 (12 because we're a bit levelled and inactive recruitable characters level up with you) uses in Fire magick and a basic fire spell to boot. Granted fire magick loses its edge later on, it is possible to teach your characters more than one type of magick.

She will need another weapon if you want her multitasking as you probably don't want her taking up a valuable front line slot when she can be casting spells. Spellcasters are usually good with bows in the third line, spell channelling weapons that are obtained later on, or just spells.

She also comes with absolutely nothing! But seeing as our heroine is in the front lines with the most basic set of armour, this isn't much of a problem because Myriam's best in the back row anyway.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 20, 2015

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Is there a particular reason why we shouldn't recruit her, even if just in the interim?

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Is there a particular reason why we shouldn't recruit her, even if just in the interim?
No not really, unless you have some other people in mind that you want in the party over her. It's best to keep two slots open while doing quests in order to unlock places and get otherwise expensive quest items for free, recruiting Myriam reduces the permanent party slots to one more character.

Otherwise Myriam is a great party addition for the early game who will always be in the bar in Estamir at any point waiting for you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The more the merrier, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Let's experience magic, and that wonderful and strange new geography called "the back row".

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'm up for that too, Let's keep her.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
On the one hand, Sif probably isn't a fan of magic. On the other hand, who can say no to more party members?

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 4: Thankfully, No Water Mechanics

*Yawn* "Good morning Si-"
"Hello!"
"...Sif?"
"What's up?"
"Who is this?"
"Oh that's Myriam, I met her in the bar last night. Says she's good with magick, so I let her come along."
"You're Albert, right? Sif told me all about you. I think it will be a lot of fun travelling together."
"Uh.. yes, I am Albert, pleased to meet you. Exactly what did Sif tell you about me?"
"Oh err.. maybe I shouldn't say. Well! It's a nice day outside and it looks perfect for exploring!"
"She means rise n' shine, princess. We've been up for two hours already."
"More or less just got back from the pub two hours ago."
"Enough you two, let's head out. I'm from Estamir so I can get you two around easily."

"The northern and southern parts of this town are divided by the sea"

"You can take a ship to South Estamir. Careful, though! It's crawling with thieves!"
"Though if you're poor you can also take the scenic route through the sewers. There's a lot of interesting and scandalous things down there."

"South Estamir was occupied by Kjaraht about 100 years ago. It's been the capital of Kjaraht ever since."
"Why don't the Rosalians just go get it back?"
"I suppose it makes geographical sense for the Kjars to hold South Estamir, it is part of their continent. Not to mention Kjaraht and Rosalia currently hold relative peace. War is the last thing Mardias needs while monsters run awry."

"Lord Ahmad is the current ruler of Kjaraht."
"He's a real nasty one, that Ahmad. Gals like us have to wear long dresses when he's around!"

They change his name to Wuhan for whatever reason in the PS2 version. I suppose Kjaraht has a more Asian look to it, and Wuhan is decked in Chinese armour in the remake.

"Someone who looks an awful lot like Lord Ahmad has been visiting this temple. Maybe he's had a change of heart!"
"Ahmad becoming a good guy? I don't buy it, not for one second. He's probably up to something."

"So where are we going anyway?"
"Al has some business up north with some Prince. After I dunno, maybe we'll go fight a dragon or something."
"As long as there's treasure to be had, you can count me in!"
"Where the hell is Crystal City anyway?"
"We should be able to follow the lined road to Crystal City. It is known as the New Road and connects from the the very northern part of Rosalia, goes through Kjaraht and terminates in the Frontier to the west."
"I think my one of my favourite bands is on tour along the New Road. I was gonna go see them in Altours, but I ran into some guys in South Estamir and ended up going on a treasure hunt over in the Jelton Isles instead."
"Ah yes, the lead dancer is Barbara, correct? She is quite famous, even in the Bafal Empire. Although I heard she's taking a personal break to see the world."

-The two continue to converse about Rosalian pop culture that more or less flies right over Sif's head. A few hours pass.-

"I think we should break here. This town is called Altours."
"It's the best place in Mardias to party."
"There's no one here."
"Of course, it's the off season. Whenever Barbara or some other famous person comes through, it's usually packed. During the off season, there's nothing here but shopping and a pit stop to Crystal City."

"At least they keep the bar open, I'm dying of thirst!"
"But our water supply has hardly been touched since we departed North Estamir.."
"Why would anyone drink water? It's a bigger buzz kill than you."
"It might be off season, but doesn't stop me from having fun; let's go!"
"..What's wrong with water?"

"Hey, didn't I see you at the pop show in Loban?"
"Mayhap you did, for I am everywhere and nowhere."
"So do you like booze there, err.."
"Thou can call me Haolahn, tis' nice to meet your acquaintance, Sif."
"!! How did you know my name?!"
"Why, this is your story, of course I know your name. Many others to whom you will never meet also know your name. Would you like to hear a song?"
"We really were just passing through. Now if you would excuse us.."
"Certainly, Albert, I look forward to hearing from you in the future."
"..."

In the PS2 version Haolahn is strongly implied to be the narrator and he can even join the team for a short while.

"Well that was spooky. He seemed more interested in you guys than me though."
"He almost seemed mystical to me, I wonder who he is?"
"I bet we're just that famous from what happened over at the Knight's Dominion. It won't be long before we have our own song written about us!"
"For the sake of things making sense for once, I think I will just go with that as well."
"Well, since we're here, might as well do a little window shopping. The stuff in Altours is really fancy and cool to look at!"

"Welcome. We have the widest array of the finest collection."
"Oh er-ahahaha, a bit too fine for our wallet, let's go to another shop."
"Thank you. And do come again."

"Was that not just the Ice Sword that man had for sale?"
"It's what the label said. A bit pricey for a big sheet of ice, eh?"
"If it is authentic, it's not just a simple piece of ice, Myriam. It is said that the Ice Sword is a legendary weapon made from the giants to the north. It has the power to call upon a fierce blizzard to buffet one's foe at any destination. But I have doubts that just any simple store in a small party town would have such a prized weapon for sale."
"Sounds like a weapon fit for my people and my hands!"
"Ha! Maybe if there was a Fire Sword, I would take up swordplay!*"
"What's with this field full of white things anyway?"
"Those are parsnips, a Rosalian speciality."
"This is usually where all the bands play, but I guess it's just a parsnip field in off season."

In the PS2 version, there's a stupid repeatable subquest here that lets you fight monsters and the amount of monsters you kill lets you buy medicine at a cheap price. However fighting monsters makes the in game timeline (otherwise known as Event Rank [ER]) advance, so no one in their right mind actually does this subquest.

*Unfortunately the totally fab Fire Rapier is not until Romancing SaGa for the PS2.

"Looks like Crystal City is not far from here, we just need to follow the river. Let's go!"

"Huh, so this is Rosalia's capital, seems pretentious."
"They sell vernie equipment if that makes anyone feel better. It's a Rosalian exclusive alloy and is pretty strong."

"Prince Neidhart's pitch-black armour is the coolest! Plus, he's super strong!"
"So I take it he's wearing Vernie armour then?"

"There will be plenty of opportunity for shopping later. I have been away from my liege for about a month now and his palace is right in front of us."

"Who are you?"
"I am Albert, Son of Rudolph of Isthmus Castle!"
"Albert of Isthmus Castle?! His majesty has been looking all over for you! You may pass!"

"You'll find that with travelling with us, Myriam, people tend to move out of the way quickly."

"Rosalians sure like their windows, as Dominions like their heights."

"Looks.. crystally. Is this Prince Neidhart also encased in crystal?"
"Nonsense! Prince Neidhart is known for his ebony armour, his golden hair and his unparalleled fighting skills!"
"So basically me but more prettier and scared to take damage so wears armour?"
"He's so dreamy!"

"Your Majesty!... I have not seen you in ages."
"Albert? Albert!"

"Whoops, wrong guy, Albert's next to me."
"You're alive! What's happened to you?"

"...And that is how I ended up back in Rosalia with a drunken Valhallan Warrior and a flirtatious Rosalian Mage."
"I see, I shall await your return."
"My parents are buried at the temple of Nisa..."

Pictured: Sif does not give one crap about the fact that Albert just learned about the fate of his parents and she just wants to get out of Prince Honeyface's sight and explore more.

"I forgot to ask, where's the temple of Nisa?"
"You know, I have seldom gone to the capital, I am not sure either."
"Me neither.."
"Guess we gotta ask for directions."

"Hey."
"Oh!.. Y-yes?"
"We're lost; we need directions."
"W-where are y-you going?"
"Nisa's temple, there's dead people we need to see."
"Oh, well.. West of the castle lies the temple of Nisa, Goddess of Earth."
"Thank you."

"My! So forceful!"
"Wha? I was just askin' for directions, and she gave them to us."
"What she means is how would you like it if a big hulking warrior came up to you demanding to know the location of 'dead people'?"
"Well excuuuuuse me! I'll try to be a little less hulking next time!"

*Myriam gently places her hand on Albert's quivering shoulder*

"All is well Albert, they are with Mother Earth now. Their physical remains shall aid in bringing beautiful flowers to our land."
"Thank you Myriam, it is what I need to hear."

*Sif slams her warrior hand on Albert's other shoulder, causing his legs to buckle*

"Don't worry, if they were good warriors, I'm sure they'll kick rear end up there too!"
"Haha.. Thank you too, Sif. Your words and actions are crude, but they mean well. I promised Prince Neidhart I would return to him after seeing my parents, let us go."

"I have a favour to ask. Will you hear me out?"
"Excuse you, but we have a grieving man here, and yet you have the ignorance ask us-."
"Of course!"
"My ancestors hid the Aquamarine in a cave near Crystal Lake. It's a gem like no other in this world. I ask that you retrieve it for me."
"No problem!"
"Excellent, I knew I could rely on you. Oh yes, one more thing.."
"Yes, your Highness?"
"Crystal Lake is guarded by a wide array of vicious marine species. I ask that you exercise extreme caution."
"Of course, your grace, we will do everything in our power to obtain the Aquamarine for you."
"Excellent, that will be all. You may go."

"South of this town is the beautiful Crystal Lake."
"Well, no chance of getting lost this time, eh?"
"Are you sure you want to do this, Albert? I mean me and Sif could just go if you aren't feeling well."
"Yes I am certain. Although losing my parents is a tragic notion, I feel that if I just sat there and did nothing, I would feel more miserable."

"The King has fallen ill, leaving Crown Prince Neidhart to rule in his stead."
"I used to have a lot of respect for the guy, but now it seems all he does is sit on the throne and threaten the nomadic tribes to the north."
"Careful what you say, treason is a serious crime."
"Aw come off it, I mean I'm sort of neutral in the whole thing, but he did seem to be askin' a lot and doin' a whole lot of nothing on that throne of his."

"A giant bird lives on Mt. Scurve. Only two people have ever managed to bring back its feathers. Prince Neidhart and his great-grandfather, Carl the First."
"Sounds like fun! We should ask Neidhart where this mountain next time we see him."
"That.. might be beyond my skill as a treasure hunter. But I'm sure with the aid of a Valhalland Warrior and a Rosalian Noble, it would be possible!"

"The more Rosalia grows, the bigger this town gets! Long live Rosalia!"
"Bleugh, a nationalist. Probably never even left Crystal City and saw how messy it is out there."

"East of the castle lies the Temple of Mirsa, the God of Warriors."
"Actually, do you mind if we make a quick stop there? We could use the blessings of the Warrior God."
"Sure, knock yourself out."

"I heard there's gonna be war! Where, you ask? Um, near Kjaraht, I think!"
"Preposterous! Kjaraht has been inactive in a military sense for over a century!"
"I dunno, that Lord Tuman guy over in Tarmitta has been acting a bit sketchy lately.."

"I am told the priest here has the ability to impart Mirsa's blessing on people for a small fee."

"Magick? Aw hell no, I'm outta here!"
"If it helps, don't think of it as magick, think of it as prayer. Magick's the stuff I shoot at things to start them on fire, prayer is an inner energy without tangible form."

Spirit Magick! It sort of loses its power in the remake, but Spirit Magick is the key to making a few nasty fights later on possible without having to grind a whole deal. All Albert and Sif need are the Strength, Willpower and Defence, but we buy as much as we can, as the more spells you have, the more magick points you have.
It's not as important for Myriam to have as there's no such thing as Way of Intellect, but she gets it anyway, if only for Way of Defence.

"The area north of here is an arid wasteland. Even Rosalia can't gain a foothold there."
"Though Prince Neidhart sure is trying with his whole forceful diplomacy amongst the nomads."
"Myriam!"
"Yes, yes, and you need to not play by the rules a little."
"I've been trying to tell him that for a week now, it's not been very successful."

Near the wall of the inner city, there's a sort of, not really secret path that leads to this magick shop.

Inside they sell Water Magick. Much like the PS2 version, Water Magick is pretty awesome and is a requirement for endgame. It has the cheapest and most efficient form of healing, THE ONLY status healing move, a STR increasing spell which can be stacked with Way of Strength and can be used on other targets (Spirit Magick buffs are self-target spells), and all the other things offensive magick has.
However it has little use for us now, as Myriam is training in Fire Magick and Albert and Sif especially don't care too much for casting spells.

"All right then, but just so you know, I'm only here for the treasure."

"What, there's no ship to get us across?!"
"We swim then."
"In a lake full of sharks and other dangerous things?"
"You haven't seen me fight yet, have you? Don't worry about some stupid shark, I'll split it in half before it can even can think about interruptin' your spells!"

(The PS2 version replaces sharks and scary things with Rosalian soldiers under the strict order to not ask questions and kill anyone who enters the lake. Neidhart couldn't be bothered to tell them not to kill the people he sent to fetch the Aquamarine for him, or their strict orders override his or something. They have a cool song that plays when they spot and chase you though!)

"I am a Fire Magician, I find this offensive!"
"Just think of the treasure within the cave, although the Aquamarine is not ours, we are allowed to claim anything else we find."
"I suppose getting a little wet for treasure is better than being chased around by dinosaurs while trying to steal their eggs."

Jesus mechanics, Myriam is quite pleased.

Pictured: Sif kicking a great white shark to death.

Levelling Fire Magick mainly just adds extra spell points (+1) per each level gained, but it also adds a tiny damage bonus barely noticeable. The effect is much more drastic on stat increasing magick.

"Look! The Fiends fight as one!"
"Yeah they sort of are getting tougher."

"Swim faster! Swim faster! I don't wanna go down from a bunch of fish!"
"Ugh this is totally ruining my hair!"

"Well, that was a thing. Let's just get this Aquamarine and get outta here. I can't wait till we get our prize for this!"

"Looks like we're just gettin' started."

"Well, I suppose half the fun of looking for treasure is exploring caves, crypts and stuff."

"Last time I went treasure hunting was with a silent guy named Gray and a paladin named Galahad, it was scary but a lot of fun. We found a talking sword, but Gray just threw it out, said it was too rusty to be worth anything."

"Virgin.. Blood?"

"Psh, I'm scarier than that when I bleed."

I think Myriam got around four of these this dungeon.

"Not here either, eh?"
"The fatestone is bound to be around here somewhere, this is a rather discreet location, it is very unlikely that someone could have taken the stone.."
"My experience points that it's probably in the deepest part of the cave guarded by some ugly creature!"
"Now that's the kinda thing I came here for!"

!!!
"Something wrong, Albert?"
"N-no, it's just that.. crabs and eight legged things make me uneasy!"
"Ha! You should've seen the size of spiders I had to take on along in Valhalland! They were the size of a small-"
Myriam gives a mean look in Sif's direction and then give a look at Albert
"..of a small kitten, yeah, kitten. Sure there ain't no big spiders in Mardias."
"Aaaanyway, anyone in the mood for crab tonight?"

"..Nevermind. Looks like I'll be on watch duty from here on out."

"Surely, this has to be the location of the Aquamarine."

"Guess again, kiddo. At least we got some cash outta this. A bit more and I might buy you something made out of vernie."
"Hey look, the path goes a little further!"

"Is that what a valuable treasure looks like, Myriam?"
"I'd say so, now all we gotta do is smash that plant and the fatestone's ours!"

The PS2 version, you have to fight an actual ghost ship that shoots canons at you and has its own theme song, but I suppose the mother of Draco Malfoy turned into a plant is just as climatic?

Sif also learned how to fly and kick, it does exactly what it says it will do and make Sif fly across from the back row and kick someone.

"Hmph, I don't need no axe on a flower, I'll just stomp it flat!"

"Huh? It released something when I hit it."

"No! Albert!"

"Aw, he'll be fine, he's just sleepin; he's been through worse. Just leave the rest to to me."

"..Huh? What happen- it's the enemy, take this!"

"Gotta give the kid credit, he might scold me for everything, but he takes a lot of crap out there, covers the bill and helps me find my way to the inn at closin' time."

"That flower didn't even attack, what a crappy guard."

And everyone gets a little smarter.

"This is it, the legendary fatestone of lore!"

"My! It looks so beautiful in my hair!"
"Hey Myriam, take that out, this is for the Prince of Rosalia!"

"Yeah? Says who?"
"Says me, a servant of Lord Neidhart!"
"I'm not a servant to anyone and I say it stays in my hair!"

"Now now, settle down kids. Do we want the reward or do we want the stone?"

"Reward!"
"Stone!"

Choice Time!

A: Keep the fatestone?

What the fatestone offers: While the Aquamarine is extremely mediocre in terms DEF, it completely negates any form of fire damage, which is a very common form of enemy magick throughout the entire game. In fact the final boss often uses fire magick. Also what the fatestone takes away in terms of DEF, Myriam can easily make up with Spirit magick, high HP and being in the back row. Furthermore, other fatestones can be equipped on other parts of the body which gives immunity to other forms of magick. Also Prince Neidhart is sort of a lazy prick and doesn't deserve the fatestone.

What goes against keeping the fatestone: You are required to speak to Neidhart in the future if you want to unlock Mt. Scurve to do two quests. Obviously if you don't speak to Neidhart for the rest of the game, you can't unlock it. He also rewards you a choice of 1,000 gold, a Greatsword (heavy sword), or a Steel Helmet if you give him the Aquamarine. For those who are familiar with the PS2 plot, the fatestones do not have any gameplay or plot impact whatsoever in this version. Finally, you have the chance to get a stronger helmet later on which also negates fire damage, but it requires access to Mt. Scurve in a regular run of the game.

B: In the event that we give the fatestone to Neidhart, should we accept the 1,000 gold, the Greatsword or the Steel Helm?
Should be self-explanatory. 1,000 gold is 1,000 gold and will get us closer to buying Sif's strongest Axe, the Greatsword is the third (out of four) strongest heavy sword in the game and the Steel Helm is fourth strongest helmet in the game and third strongest helmet that you can buy.

C: In the event we give the fatestone to Neidhart, should we go to Kjaraht or immediately climb Mt. Scurve?
What's in Kjaraht? South Estamir, which is the liveliest city of Romancing SaGa, guaranteed allies (I checked beforehand), a mission and lots of impoverished children who like to swear. One of these allies unlocks a lot of places. However there's not a whole lot of fighting going this route, and the game branches further.

What's on Mt. Scurve? Monsters, a lot of gold, a chain quest which leads to strong armour and an exclusive ally, more chances to make Albert into a valued ally, and a formal conclusion of the Neidhart/Albert plot.
However if we choose to immediately climb Mt. Scurve, it locks us out of fighting a couple of superbosses in the future and locks us from getting every piece of strong equipment. Also fighting monsters might despawn the characters waiting for us in South Estamir. We can also choose to climb Mt. Scurve whenever.

In the event we choose not to give the Aquamarine to Neidhart, we will go to Kjaraht.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 2, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A: Keep the fatestone?

At least until you want to do the other quests. Basically, wring all of the benefit of the stone out, until you want to do the other quests.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm going to go with A too. Take the option that won't let us miss stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A: Keep the Fatestone until you want to climb Mt. Scurve. Might as well have it around as you go to Kjaraht.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I say keep the fatestone because it feels stronger than the rewards he would give us, and there's really nothing stopping us from giving it to him LATER if we really want to do those mountain quests anyways.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 5: God is Very Unhelpful

Before we start, I want to show you the stats of our heroes so far:

Usually her STR would be in the 20s, but with the mix of VIT supporting parents and having martial arts as a main form of attack, her VIT is her strong point. I've never had a tank Sif, and am eagerly looking to see how this is going to turn out!

Weapon ranks rise in accordance to the type of enemies you are fighting, and we are currently fighting bottom tier monsters. As we get further in the game, this means that LV. 1 weapons will rapidly rise when we fight top tier monsters. This makes getting ultimate weapons in the final dungeon much less of a pain in the rear end as you can probably easily score LV. 12 in 12 battles.

Albert is actually capable of doing double digit damage now! However he is mysteriously blessed with INT which I may decide to do something with in the future. Pally Dad gives him VIT which is vital for people on the front lines and Priest Mom gives him high COM which will also be taken advantage of in the future.

His SPD is in hell because he's working with medium swords which seldom grants SPD, and Paladin and Priest don't give SPD bonuses to their children.

I'll get him a better sword when we have gold to throw around, for now, he's stuck with the same crappy sword.

And lastly, no surprises with Myriam, her INT will continue to soar. She is getting some DEX points in, so I might give her a bow for shits and giggles.

Once I actually bother to buy her more spells, she'll have more points to throw around. Most of her spells OHKO monsters at this point anyway.

Fire Magick is the complete opposite of Water Magick in that it has the cheapest attack spell but the most expensive supporting spell while Water Magick has the most expensive attack spell but cheapest supporting spells.

Anyway,

"I cannot believe we are doing this.."
"Oh lighten up! It's not like we're keeping it forever or anything."
"Yes but his majesty is waiting for our return."
"Yeah well he can wait until I find a better hair accessory."
"But-"
"We're keeping it, and that's that. Any more of this grumbling from either of you and I'm gonna rip it out of your pretty hair, chuck it into the lake and chuck Al in there too."
"..."
"..."
"Umm.. so where are we going?"
"We are in the port, wanna go to Kjaraht?"
"Another boat ride? I didn't do so well with the last one."
"Well that's no problem, we could go through the sewers!"
"Sewers? True, it would mean avoiding the sea, but.."

"Done!"

"Welcome to the poor man's detour of the New Road: The Sewers of Estamir!"
"It stinks."
"It's approximately 150 gold cheaper and lets me keep my lunch inside me thank you very much."
"Just keep an eye out for monsters and try not to step in anything gooey because I can't guarantee that it's gonna be a Slime you'll step in!"

"Is that a squid in the water below?"
"That's just the tip of the iceberg, there's even weirder stuff down here if you look hard enough!"
"That's kinda how I feel about Mardias as a whole from just the few weeks I've gawked around."

"So what now?"
"Guys wanna see something weird?"
"Weird as in I am going to regret seeing it, or weird as in something curious that will leave us pondering?"
"The second one, I guess? I think it's better if I just show you guys; it's just up that drainage pipe to the west. Come!"
"If it's a dead body, I've already seen a lot of those."

"How odd, the sewage pipes have suddenly widened and I feel a sinister air about us."
"It's probably just an entrance to a Burger King or something. Let's keep going, I'm craving fries but I smell like a 3AM dance club and don't have no money to buy no drat fries."
"Burger King? Huh, must be a Valhalland thing. Whatever it is, it's not what's up these stairs."

"What the hell? A temple, in the sewers? What do they sell, Digestive Magick?"
"That's the weird part, go ask him."

"Hey, teach me in the way of Toilet Magick. If I could eat Taco Bell without repercussions, I would be an immortal woman."
"Laudamus dominum nostrum Shirach. Laudamus dominum nostrum Shirach."
"Uhh.. so yes?"
"Laudamus dominum nostrum Shirach. Laudamus dominum nostrum Shirach."
"Alrighty then, I'll leave ya to it."

"Laudamus dominum nostrum Shirach, hmm.."
"Is that some sort of street slang for something? Cuz' if it's about my hair, I swear I'll go back in there and-"
"No, it's ancient tongue, unfortunately I never got that far in my studies to brag fluency."
"What do you think he was saying?"
"He was praising some sort of lord. I missed the last part, but it sounded an awful bit like Shirach."
"You mean the death goddess?!"
"But what would someone be doing worshipping her? Elore sealed her powers away upon her defeat."
"Maybe he's hoping that his prayers will revive her? I've heard rumours in Bafal of underground cults who are dedicated to the Death Gods."
"The fool, he couldn't possibly believe that Shirach could once again wield godlike powers. Not while Elore rules the world that is."
"So this Shirach chick, any relation to that Saruin guy you were ranting about awhile ago?"
"Yes, Shirach is Saruin's younger sister. Some say that while Saruin had the stamina to wage a war, Shirach had the power to end it. However Elore was able to overpower them before Shirach could use her power to bring about an end."
"They also had an immortal elder brother named Death, but he was the smartest of the three and knew when to call it quits. My folks used to tell me he has a job now in Hell."
"While Shirach was sent to live as a tragic mortal woman for the rest of her life, yes."
"That's wild, I wonder if she's still around?"
"She probably died ages ago if she was a human female."

None of this occurs in the actual game, but this was supposed to be the temple of Shirach. It was cut from the game because they ran out of time and memory space. Her memory remains in the Shirach data that was kept in the ROM and various incomplete but present rooms and people that are still in the game.
:saga:

"Speaking of Hell, it looks like one of the Seven Princes decided to come bother us in the sewers."

"Justice will always prevail, take this, demon!"

"No way! Did you just kill that thing on your own?"
My, I guess I did. My swordsmanship has definitely improved since I left the isthmus.

"I'd say we're about halfway there. I hate this part, it's all water."

"What. the. hell is that?"
"Doesn't look too happy to see us, that's for sure."

The Fossil King is typically an early game guaranteed game over if you try fighting it, but because we have Sif and Myriam, we can dispose of them before they can do anything real nasty.

"Crapload of fish headed our way, let's head in there!"
"I don't think that's a very good idea.."
"Nor is having to fight more of those Fossil King things, c'mon!"

"Spooky. Hehe, hey Myriam, watch out or a ghost might get you!"
"R-really, this isn't a-a very nice p-place to be!"
"Myriam's right Sif, this whole place seems as sinister as the other place, if not more so. I am certain the fish have passed by now. Please, let us return to our original path."

"No way, I'm sure there's lots of valuable stuff in these crypts."
"Hasn't anyone ever told you grave robbing is wrong?!"
"What, they're dead, not like they're gonna need mortal steel where they are now. If anything, they prolly' have the good stuff like orichalcum, ether coated weapons, Mystic Cross!Celestial Star and whatnot."

-Sif opens the crypt-

"Watch out everyone!"
"Eek!"

"Awright fine, there was a spooky inside. Don't worry, I'll-"

"Ah.."
"That's it? Pfft."

"At this rate, we are going to end up fighting amongst ourselves accidentally. Myriam?"

"Enough already, enough already!!"

"You're scared of the dark? That's cute, I used to be scared of things before."
"What were you afraid of?"
"Aw y'know, the usual stuff two year old's are afraid of, nuclear warfare, a zombie revival of the 1793 Terror headed by a headless Robespierre, a molasses tsunami, Jurassic Park and stuff like that."
"..."
"That's all in the past though. "Let's go raid some more tombs!"

"Nngh! She fights well! Nothin' I can't handle though!"

-The group continues to fight pretty zombies with rapiers, until..-

"I have never seen that move befo-"

"Gaaah!.."
"That's pretty.. ugh.. lovely.. auggh.."

Myriam once again saves the day!

"Look, can we please just get out of here?"
"Good idea, let's bolt! Last time I listen to Albert's idea of tomb raiding!"
"Hey, this wasn't my- oh forget it."

"South Estamir is just up these stairs and around the corner. Try holding your.. guts and innards inside until we get to the inn to treat your wounds."
"Naw it's just a scratch."

-Albert faints yet again and tumbles down the stairs falling face first into the sewage water-

"I call dibs on shower once we get to the inn."

"Daylight! Sweet daylight! How I feared I would never see you again!"

"The inn is just south of that path, once that man leaves-"

"Who the hell do y'think your talking to, idiot? Once I'm done with you, YOU will fork over your cash!"

"Is this legal? Where is the Estimir Police?"
"Pfft, the police don't bother with the south side of Estamir. Besides, everyone knows that the police are just Lord Ahmad's dogs that only obey him."
"Will we not get in trouble for murdering this man in broad daylight?"

"Don't worry about it, Al."

"We have a rule in Valhalland that as long as you clean up, no one will ask where they went."

"You take his legs, Myriam, I got his arms. The lake is just up there, we can throw him in there. Al, you grab the change."

"He might have been a street thief, but if we only gave him money, he could have turned his life around.."
"Sure, after mugging and murderin' a few dozen more people."

"This seems like a pretty cool shopping place. Might have to check it out after I have my shower and nap."

Resting in inns is free and restores everything.

"It's kinda weird going to bed sober."

"What's this?"
"That's the temple of Yucomb, the god of the sea. There's two Yucomb temples in Mardias, the other one is in Melvir, the capital of the Bafal Empire."

Inside they sell Wind Magick, which unfortunately is not very useful in version of RS. Wind Barrier (nullifies Wind Magick) is helpful in endgame as one of the enemies likes to BS wipe with Blizzard, but Ice Javelin misses often and Blizzard is expensive and not really worth the high cost.

Essences come in a pack of three and restore magick points by a whopping 50 points, but right now magick isn't really important and Essences are pretty pricey at this point of the game.

Here we have the strongest spear money can buy as well as the strongest helmet, but both are just beyond our price range.

"Get bent brat, I ain't no money woman"

"Well that was pleasant."
"Worse things have been said about me."

"I'm getting sick and tired of that slave trader throwing his weight around. Just this week there's been over ten kidnappings!"
"Estamir may big the biggest city in Mardias, but it has its warts! That aside, there's some more shops over in the south-west part too."

"The Thieves' Guild has a secret hideout in the sewers!"
"I dated a guy from there! It sure was nice getting free hooch. I wonder what happened to him?.."

"I used to live in the Knight's Dominion, but I fled here because of all the monsters."
"There's monsters just below you in the sewers."
"And monsters in the bureaucracy!"

None of these are really appealing, as Water Magick will become a thing a few chapters from now and Balms will, for the most part be rendered completely useless. Cure Stone has one precise use in endgame, and I have never bought a Panacea in my life, mainly because every status except Stone wears off after battle.

And seen from satellite, we have ourselves the strongest piece of armour in the game! Needless to say, we won't be equipping our team with this for quite some time.

"Hey there, stranger!"
"Good afternoon, madame."
"Tee-hee, so formal!"
"Yeah Albert, woo all the girls, why don't you?"
"I was merely showing respect?"
"Whatever, some chicks dig chivalry."

*Flustered Albert noises here*

"Heehee, see you later, 'Albert!'"
"Well ain't she a sweet thing?"

And suddenly booze run, because believe it or not, it's actually an important aspect to the game.

"Hey Haolahn."
"Haolahn? I'm afraid not. I am a travelling minstrel. I've come from the Frontier. It's a land frought with danger and opportunity. You should try exploring it sometime."

"..."
"So.. you come here often?"
"..."
"Not one for talkin' eh?"
"..."
"Ah, he's one of the Thieves' Guild members. Let's leave him, he must be here on a mission. The Thieves' Guild aren't ones you want on your bad side."

"Oh my word!"
"What's that, Albert?"
"You'd never guess who is in this pub!"
"Who?"
"It's Barbara, Barbara the dancer!"

"Excuse me?"
"Ugh, who the hell is this now? Can't a guy wine n' dine with a famous person without being distracted?"
"Why you- I'll show you who the hell I am. Get up kid, I don't hold back on brats!"
"Please not in front of my idol.. not in front of my idol.."
"..."
"It's fine Jamil, they're just here to say hi."
"..."
"So you're..?"
"A Valhallan, cool, don't see many of you up here.
My name's Barbara, I'm travelling along the New Road. I'll admit our intro was pretty bad. Let's start again, you first Jamil."
"Sup? My name's Jamil."
"And?.."
"I'm Aisha of the Taralians. I've never been this far from my home before. ...I want to go back to my village."
"Jamil and I found this young girl alone, lost and scared in Estamir and we've agreed to help her find her way home."
"A Taralian, that's in North Rosalia, one of few indigenous tribes left in Mardias."
"That's right, we're headed that way, Miss..?"
"Just call me Myriam, I'm a big time fan. The big lady's name is Sif, and the cranky looking noble is Albert."
"I have an idea, we ain't doin' anything, why don't we go with them?"

"Sure, I'd love some company! The more the merrier!"
"drat straight! I've got your back!"
"Thank you! I was starting to get a little scared. My village is on the Steppes of Galessa!"

And just like that we have ourselves a full party! I am going to let the viewers decide on who is staying, but they will be here for a short while nonetheless.

As you can see, Barbara is an extremely versatile character, if not the most versatile character in the game. The trade off is that her stats are extremely balanced. Where Sif and Myriam are in the teens with STR and INT, Barbara is still in the single digits, but not doing bad in anything per say.

She comes with the standard Rapier, but that will change in the next chapter. Apart from Albert, Barbara is the only character who makes a viable front line Mage, as Myriam simply lacks the VIT/HP to be up there.

She also begins the game with the most amount of stuff equipped. Think about it, Albert and Sif came with Bronze Armour, Jamil, a hat, and Myriam and Aisha, nothing.

And yes, that is a fatestone on her. Why she has a fatestone? Go play her story. :troll:

Default Jamil comes with double Thief, which means his SPD and DEX are going to skyrocket in approximately one chapter. This equates to him being an excellent frontline dodgetank and the best user of the rapier (low damage, never misses), or a backline vanilla Archer. However there are better Archers out there, Barbara being one. (Hint, magick is integral to a good Archer, and Jamil lacks the INT growths).

He comes ready for battle with his weapon of choice already equipped on him. LV.2 is one level less than Barbara, but at least he has his weapon of choice, Barbara does not.

Lastly, we have poor little Aisha. Her COM is a character influenced and not parent influenced, which means she will be an excellent healer no matter what her parents are. Thanks to her mother, she also has good INT growths, which makes default Aisha your #2 choice (Myriam being #1) for Mage. However Myriam has the INT, Aisha has the INT AND COM which makes her perfect for both assault and healing magick.

She is NOT going to be on the front line, so the rapier is pretty useless, but she'll get an upgrade next chapter.

"Any chance you can do a job for me? It's a bit dangerous though..."
"I like a challenge!"
"Then speak to the gentleman to the left."
"Y'mean Thief dude?"
"Looks like we're gonna be messing around with the underbelly of Estamir. Hey Aisha, how long can you wait til you see your Mommy and Daddy? We might be awhile."
"I-I'll be okay!"
"Don't worry, we'll get you back to your village sooner or later."

"Word is Lord Ahmad is setting up a secret harem. The Madam here would like to know its location. Can you find out for us?"
"Grr.. that Ahmad, he's always up to something! Of course we will!"
"Don't forget about me!"

I realize this chapter has gotten a bit long, and although it isn't where I wanted it to end I'll cut it off here.

Choice Time!

Out of the three, who should we keep? You may pick up to a max of two.

And while I'm at it, have some Brave Frontier artwork of our new recruits.
(Stopped playing the game myself when they came out with 7 star units)

A.) Aisha:

Pros: Awesome magick user, best healer in the game and has a quest way later which unlocks the strongest rapier in the game. Also has a big fanbase amongst the Japanese. Can be put in the middle row and do reasonably well with spears although magick is the trick to a good Aisha.
Cons: Magick will be the only thing she'll reliably do in the back row and assault magick is practically non-existent in the later portion of the game. Biggest downside is she has lower starting stats than Albert and takes longer to level. Lastly, you can technically do her exclusive quest without her, but you don't get the bonus rapier.
Creepy Japanese fanbase?

B.) Barbara:

Pros: Good at anything you want her to do, and is the only viable front line mage (asides Albert) in the game. She can also be a decent back line archer/mage as her DEX growths are good. It's also rude to recruit a pretty lady, strip her of her valuables and leave her in the bar naked.
Cons: She already served her purpose by unlocking the entire New Road and by giving us the fatestone. While she is good with anything, there are people who have specialized stats and can do the job better than her.

C.) Jamil:

Pros: Best SPD in the game and is the best rapier user in the game, having double Thief for parents means he'll 1st turn 9/10 of the times. He can also use bows amazingly well.
Cons: Rapiers are pretty meh on damage output and having a rapier user would deny us from getting a heavy sword user which is the strongest weapon type in the game. Like Barbara, Jamil doesn't have anything else to offer asides some extra dialogue during a quest. Lastly, if you want Jamil to have the best rapier in the game, you need to recruit Aisha which may or may not be a con.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 30, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A & B. Poor Albert.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
A Mainly because having best healer and second best mage rolled into one sounds drat useful to have. The other two, while they seem somewhat decent, don't sound all the important to keep. Though do steal that Fatestone, because why not? Go for as much of a collection as possible.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

GeneralContempt posted:

"That's the temple of Yucomb, the god of the sea. There's two Yucomb temples in Mardias, the other one is in Melvir, the capital of the Bafal Empire."

I think you wrote that sentence wrong, unless there are two temples in Mardias.

Also, A & B.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think you wrote that sentence wrong, unless there are two temples in Mardias.

Also, A & B.

Yep, there's two Yucomb temples, we just haven't got to Bafal yet. The PS2 version is more obvious about it, as there's a quest where you have to go to both temples. In this version, they don't really make a distinction, but seeing as there's no god of the wind in Mardias, I just assume Yucomb is in charge of both water and air elements, thus having two temples.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Wait, I'm confused. Are there two Yucomb temples in Mardias and a third one in Melvir?

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Are there two Yucomb temples in Mardias and a third one in Melvir?

Mardias is the name of the world Romancing SaGa takes place, right now we are in the city of Estamir, border city between Kjaraht and the Kingdom of Rosalia. Thus the second and only other Yucomb temple is in Melvir.

I dunno if it will help, but here's a cute map of Mardias I've been wanting to post for awhile.

We're in the general vicinity where Jamil is and Melvir is a bit north-east of where Claudia is standing.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

OH, I thought the name of the town was Mardias. My bad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, definitely Aisha and Barbara. Sorry, Jamil, Sif is all the muscle we'll ever need.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 6: The Filthiest People Alive

With the exception of Jamil, this is what our new recruits will be doing for the rest of the game.

I gave Barbara Raphael's Spear to let her build her weapon LV. I'm not sure what kind of spells I'm going to give her in the future, but the goal here is to make her into a support unit, but also capable of dealing some hurt when she is not casting spells.

I had to put her in the middle row, so she won't be able to use Light magick effectively, but I'll let Albert handle that.

Jamil is just going to accompany us through this sidequest and escorting Aisha home, so I didn't bother doing too much for him. After he leaves, I will give his bow to Myriam.

In retrospect it probably would have been wise for me to keep his rapier, you'll find out why short enough.

And Aisha got her bread and butter and will spend most of the rest of the game building it up.
Water Gun is quite strong, but because it's a stronger spell, it only has two uses. STR Water is probably one of the best buffs in the game once Water Magick is built up enough, and I got Purifying Water because it was cheap, for the extra spell points and for emergency situations.

RS1 is kind of weird in that 80% of weapons are front line exclusive, but you can only have three people in the front line.

"Crap."
"What's the matter?"
"Prolly should've asked the barkeep for some clues, eh?"
"Can we not simply return to the pub and ask?"
"Unless you wanna go back in there with your tail between your legs and look like an idiot in front of the Thieves Guild. I think we should figure this out by ourselves."
"Let's think this out. We know that the harem is for Lord Ahmad, so if the rumours are true, it's probably in North Estamir. As to where? That's a whole other matter. There has to be someone in this city we can talk to who has their connections with Lord Ahmad.."
"Hey Jamil, you're a small time thief, and judging from that accent of yours, a citizen of South Estamir. Don't you have your connections?"
"Dammit! Where the hell is Dowd? He might be a clutz, but he knows the streets better than me. I suppose there's Farah, we can try asking her."
"Farah? Is she your girlfriend?"
"Wha-? No! It's not like that!.. Well not exactly. Anyway, let's go, she's usually near the shops."

"Hey ma'am, is Farah around?"
"Oh Jamil, it's awful!"
"What's the matter?"
"It's Farah, they took my Farah away!"
"!!! Who did?!"
"The tax collectors, because I was short this week, they said they were going to take Farah as payment!"
"drat those bastards.."
"Please, you must do something!"
"Don't worry, I will."
"Oh thank you!"

"Dammit it's personal now! No one takes my friends away and expects me to be fine with it!"
"Umm.. does this mean we have to confront the slavers again?"
"Looks like it, but there's six of us, no way we'll have trouble this time!"
"Jamil and I found her being assaulted by kidnappers. If we arrived on the scene a few seconds later, she wouldn't be here now."
"That really pisses me off. Whoever's in charge of this whole kidnappin' deal ain't gonna get away with it!"
"So I guess it's off to the Slave Trade HQ for a little chat then?"
"Is it that easy to find?"
"Of course! The Kjars have no shame in human trafficking!"

[/i]"You really weren't lying about the slave trade bein' legit, eh? This place must be the biggest building in South Estamir. So uh, do we just march in and ask around?"[/i]
"Dunno, never bought a slave, let's give it a shot."

"Who the hell are you!"
"Uh yes, hey- er hello, I'm a teacher and I wanna show my brats- uh, I mean students why they should study harder."
"Teacher my rear end! Get the hell outta here before I show YOU why you should have paid more attention in drama class!"
"Pfft fine, I bet all you got down there are bones n' kids!"

"Ahahaha! That was the worst!"
"Why you!... Let's see you do better y'little twit!"
"...Excuse me?"
"Yeah? What's up? I can hardly hear you, speak up."
"Oh.. sorry. But maybe we can get down there through the sewers?"
"Aisha, you're a genius! Why didn't I think of that before? It's a bit out of the way, but there is a secret entrance to the dungeons."

"No not that way, it'll take us forever to get to the Slaver's HQ. There's another sewer entrance to the north-east."

"Steady.. aim.."

"What the hell was that?"
"Sh-shut up! Let's see you use a bow for the first time and hit a bull's eye!"

Bows are probably the most affected by weapon rank. It doesn't matter if you have 99 (255) DEX or have the strongest bow in the game, if it's LV. 1, it will do 1 DMG. It's pretty stupid, but bows can do high damage once levelled.

"Eat shoe, punk."

"It's gotten pretty quiet around here."
"You're right, the other sewer entrance we er.. crawled out of had shops all over. There's practically no one here."
"Ain't nothing in this area but slavers and muggers. They patrol this entrance to make sure no tourists stroll into their dungeons."
"And I suppose the longer we linger in this vicinity, the more likely we are to be spotted by them?"
"As much as I'd like to stand here all day fighting criminals, we have a missing woman to find."
"So I guess it's back into crapland then. No digging up bodies this time Al, y'hear?"
"Uh, right."
"Hahaha, what?"

"Wait wait wait, hold up. So you're telling me that this 'secret entrance' is literally right around the corner?"
"Yeah? What's the beef?"
"Well, for such a heavily guarded location, it seems kind of silly that it's just a few paces into the vast sewers."
"Eh, what can they do? It's not like they can up n' relocate. There's only so many usable rooms a sewer."

"Hey gimmie a break, it's been awhile since I was on the javelin team!"

Albert, continuing to rock out with double digits. I swear, he'll be a lot better by next episode!

"Let's.. never.. climb.. stairs.. again.. ugh."
"Shh! They'll hear you!"
"Well, they're probably gonna see us lookin' into the cell n' all, so what's the problem? Oy guard!"
!!!
"Here we go.."

"We're here to grab the chicks you kidnapped. Fork em' over or else."
"Women? What women? You shouldn't even be here. Get the hell out before I decide to not be so generous!"
"Looks like he's right, I don't see any women in this cell."
"Oh, er.. well you're still an rear end in a top hat so I don't take anything back. C'mon let's get outta here."
"But shouldn't we free the slaves?"
"And what, march through the fortress with them, slaying every guard we come across?"

"Sorry..."
"Huh? What did you do?"
"It was my fault we went there and wasted time.."
"Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. Because we went to the Slaver's HQ, we now know that this harem is in North Estamir."
"Yeah..."
"Yo, turn right here."
"Isn't the entrance to North Estamir to the left?"

"There's two entrances. Jeez, I thought you were from Estamir? How did you not know about this?"
"Well excuse me! I usually don't make sewer transportation my main method of traversing cities."

"Huh, so this leads to the suburbs of Estamir, right near Ahmad's palace."
"I would imagine if Lord Ahmad had a harem, he would probably build it far from sight, not near his palace."
"The only far place I can think of is the temple to the south-east."
"Umm.. that is Amut's Temple, the God of love?"
"... ... Love!"
"Tsk tsk, is that all you kids can think about at a time like this?"
"Use you err.. nevermind. We solved the mystery, the harem must be in this temple!"

"Ohhhh, right, cuz' this guy said Ahmad was hangin' around here. I miss treasure hunting instead of mystery solvin', once we drop this kiddo home, we should do that again."

"Hello? Hey, where's Ahmad's harem?"
"..."
"Another weird priest, eh?"
"I do believe Amut priests are under strict silence vows. They are only permitted to speak under specific circumstances."
"Hey look on the bright side, he might not be of help to us, but it doesn't stop us from looking around."

"Well where could this secret entrance be?.."
-Sif leans against the wall-

"No way, I did it again?"

One of the more annoying aspects to RS is the existence of secret entrances with no indication whatsoever of them existing. While the NPC kindly directed us to this place, a first time player would have a hell of a time trying to find this place if they didn't know about secret entrances or did not have a walkthrough.

"The two redheads and the blonde one with the ponytail can come inside, but not the big hulking one."
"Sure, pick on my looks, right after your buds down in the sewers trash talk my actin' skills. Get out of my way cuz' my fists are much better than my acting!

"Fool! You dare disobey Lord Ahmad's wishes?!"

"Heh, I guess fighting is a lot easier than sneaking in."
"drat right kid, I'll stop any bastard who makes fun of me!"

"I will not have you make light of Lord Ahmad or me, take this!"

"..Did you wanna redo that strike? Cuz' I'll totally let you. Feel kinda bad it's just you and six of us."

"Guess not?"

"Be thankful your death was firey n' painful and not from my foot up yer' rear end, cuz' that'd be more painful."

"Awright, now let's bust in here and save that Farah!"
"We should be quick, I am confident that the guard's death scream was heard from a great distance."

"Well there's a lot of sad chicks in here, at least we know we're in the right place."

"Ahmad will resort to kidnapping even priestesses to satisfy his pleasures? That man truly is despicable."

"Looks like it doesn't stop at priestesses, I'm afraid. Even demon women aren't free from him."

"This could have been me laying on the floor in this awful place. Barbara, Jamil, thank you for saving me. I will cherish my freedom forever.."
"That lady beside her, is that not?.."

"Farah! You okay?"
"Jamil! I knew I could count on you! How did you get in here? Only beautiful women can enter."
"Oh err.. we killed the guard. I know, it's a big mess out there, half the room is charred and it smells awful, but I guess it worked? Now let's get out of here!"

"Too late! Looks like we're going to have to do some fancy footwork here to get out."

(The PS2's mini boss theme, it plays when you have to fight scripted battles during a quest that isn't the boss)

Which is accomplished through Aisha drowning one man, crushing his internal organs in the process with a large jet of water.

And Myriam charring yet another human being with her usual fiery antics.

"Who the hell are you?!"
"So you're the scumbag that runs this place! I guess I can spare a mo' to introduce myself before I kick your rear end. The name's Sif, I'm from Valhalland and I'm here to bust your little woman scheme and teach you some drat manners!"
"Like hell if I need lessons from a barbarian, I'll kill you and all your friends for interfering in my life!"

*Sounds of four people drawing weapons and the chanting of two spells*
"(Crap)"

"I usually try to keep my mind open to ideas, but this is too far. Sorry, hate to say it, but it's very personal."

"Yeah ditto that! I ain't letting you off the hook for kidnapping any of my friends!"

"Auugh.."
"Shame really, I was saving this spell just for you."

And thus a sisterhood founded on compassion was established from the joint effort of taking out a perv.

Choice Time!
Kill Ahmad or spare him?

A.) Kill Ahmad: We're killing a pretty gross guy, and killing him increases our favour with the evil gods, which has an effect on the ending.
B.) Spare Ahmad: Killing is not the righteous thing to do, and he offers a quest in the future if kept alive. As noted above, killing him increases our favour with the death gods, which changes endgame.

(Not pictured: Saruin because he was on the other page, and because he's the evil emo middle child)

Since we're at the point where we need to start planning on how to go about endgame, I will explain endgame to the best I can without spoiling anything.

Romancing SaGa is unique in the sense that it has three endings based on various actions you took throughout the game. These endings are: the Good Ending, the Neutral Ending and the Evil Ending. Based on the name, the Good Ending is achieved through doing good deeds throughout the game and is arguably the easiest ending to get as you just need to follow your conscience do nice stuff. The Neutral Ending is the hardest one as you need to boycott specific quests and not kill or be nice to anyone, while the Evil is the second easiest as you just need to kill people when given the chance to do so.

There are various benefits to each ending, the Good Ending has access to the strongest mainstream weapons in the game, the Neutral has strong body part equipment, all the top tier spells and the strongest obscure weapons, and the Evil has a unique boss fight, cool backstory and the strongest armour in the entire game.
Based on what is said here, it would be advisable to start thinking about what ending you want to see. I'd advise to leave the Neutral ending until later playthroughs since it's difficult to get and requires boycotting important quests that you probably want to see. The Good Ending is the typical ending that first time players usually get, while the Evil Ending has the least to offer in terms of items, but is pretty awesome in terms of plot.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Kill him. Why waffle? We killed his guards without a thought. They were doing a job, he was the one who ordered them to do it.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Kill him. As long as Sif is all :black101:, we might as well take one step closer to evil. Besides, let's step on that JRPG trope where the goodguy always forgives the badguy no matter how many crimes or atrocities he's responsible for.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think doing the Evil ending first, Good second, and Neutral last is the course of action I would take.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Kill the pig and hang his corpse from the roof of his house by his testicles with fishing line to let everyone know this is what happens to perverted, depraved nobles.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you're only doing one ending, do the most awesome one (your discretion)

If you're covering them all, do them from least to most awesome (your discretion)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are Good and Evil on a spectrum here, or do you rack up favors independently and go with who you have the most favor with?

Well, either way, kill him. If killing a slavelord ruins you for Good, Sif doesn't want to be Good.

TozmaT
Apr 28, 2008
Kill him. When sparing a dude who owns a dungeon full of sobbing kidnapped sex slaves gives you positive karma, it is clearly time to side with the Gods of Death Metal Album Covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Crap, I just ended my relationshit (no spelling errors here!) and got a lot of stuff and due dates to meet in the coming weeks, so I'm just gonna put this project on hold until further notice.

But when I inevitably and stubbornly return, Ahmad will die a gruesome death, Aisha will go home, and I promise Albert will get substantially stronger! :black101::black101::black101:

• Locked thread