Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Ofcourse it plays the esper battle music when you fight Terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Yeah, the game is really good about selecting relevant music to your battles.
I'm not sure about the exact algorithm, but it takes characters and possibly stages into account.
You can even save a replay of your battles and fiddle around with the camera and stuff, it's something I've planned to
show off. But I don't want to overwhelm people with all of the cool things at once.

Later on we get more direct control of what tracks are being played, and I think it's been implemented rather smoothly.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Sazero posted:

In regards to Quickenings.. Huh I stand corrected. Maybe it's just that Quickenings being a huge mishmash of various colours and effects that makes them so unmemorable?

I do agree with this part: the Quickenings didn't really reflect the characters performing them in the slightest, none of them involve the character in question physically attacking the enemy and almost all of them follow the motif "character does cool anime poses, insert elaborate attack animation here". But yeah, they're still unique and tied to character, even though they could basically fit almost any one of them: the only ones I remember offhand is Vaan's Pyroclasm because he actually physically throws the fireballs at the enemy and another attack of Fran's since it involves rapid kicking to make the lightshow happen.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Valkyrie Profile has a similar thing with it's Soul Crushes, except those were very involved with the character in question.(and mostly massively overkill) But they were very visually pleasing if you're into that sort of thing.(I am) :v:
Although VP is sort of grim dark. I did think about LP'ing VP2, but I haven't actually finished that game, I usually lose interest about halfway through.

And I'd probably get tired of the whole "IT SHALL BE ENGRAVED UPON YOUR VERY SOUL!" thing the valkyrie shouts out every time she uses her Soul Crush.
I haven't thought about those games for a long time and I can still quote that drat spiel from heart.

Both games aren't entirely unrelated as Square is involved with both franchises.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 4(still uploading for a few minutes)

It's starting to become apparent that I need to be a bit more aggressive in what battles I edit out.
Also I'm sort of rambling about things. I felt a bit stuck on this and decided to just get it over with and accept
it for what it is. Anyways. We say goodbye to Vaan and prepare for a much better character.
I also really had to resist tampering with the cut scenes. But I consider that to be holy ground.
Eh, maybe a bonus video. And by maybe I mean probably never. :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Vaan is finally not a complete waste of time. Took only a fanfiction crossover game for it to happen.

(Yes, yes, I know, but Vaan bashing is inherently funny)

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
You said that Terra doesn't have a Slave Crown in this game: she actually does, but it's a CPU-exclusive piece of equipment and not seen until later and the reference is lost since the game calls it Puppeter's Wheel.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I showed off the Puppeteer's Wheel last video where I sort of ended the "boss" fight in 20 seconds or so.
Also Wheels != Crowns. It's also not shown that she loses the Crown Wheel and thereby gets out of it's influence.
In the cut scene where she argues with Kefka, it doesn't sound like she was under the influence of any mind manipulating devices
or that she just broke free of it's influence.

So all we're really left with, is the name and well... I know a Wheel is a circular object but that is only the barest of links between a Crown and a Wheel.
Also the Slave Crown didn't draw out Terra's magical abilities or Her esper form or really give her any power boost.

If the Wheel were supposed to be a reference, you could give it a magic damage boost, not permanent Ex-Mode.
And the game is not that subtle or contrived with it's references.

So I don't think Puppeteer's Wheel is a reference to the Slave Crown.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sazero posted:

I showed off the Puppeteer's Wheel last video where I sort of ended the "boss" fight in 20 seconds or so.
Also Wheels != Crowns. It's also not shown that she loses the Crown Wheel and thereby gets out of it's influence.
In the cut scene where she argues with Kefka, it doesn't sound like she was under the influence of any mind manipulating devices
or that she just broke free of it's influence.

So all we're really left with, is the name and well... I know a Wheel is a circular object but that is only the barest of links between a Crown and a Wheel.
Also the Slave Crown didn't draw out Terra's magical abilities or Her esper form or really give her any power boost.

If the Wheel were supposed to be a reference, you could give it a magic damage boost, not permanent Ex-Mode.
And the game is not that subtle or contrived with it's references.

So I don't think Puppeteer's Wheel is a reference to the Slave Crown.

That's just a whole load of semantics though.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Let's rephrase that. It was said that the Puppeteer's Wheel is the Slave Crown, except the reference was lost because of the different names.
They also don't share functionality. So how can you claim it's a reference to the Slave Crown, if the Puppeteer's Wheel isn't even remotely similar to the Slave Crown?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
It actually has the same name as the slave crown in Japanese that is a fact. The fact that they gave it a use outside of 'mind controls character' is just them taking advantage of its existence for doing something instead of making the probably smarter idea of a alternate costume for it or something. And you actually CAN get the Puppeteer's Wheel in the game....its just nigh impossible. You get it as a very rare treasure in the Blackjack Colosseum course. As such its nearly impossible to get and even if you DO get it the item has a 100% break chance the first time you use it.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Oh, well if it's "Slave Crown" in honorable japanese, then that settles it.
I'll be correcting that the next time it becomes relevant.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm open for guest commentating! I'm catching up at the moment. I have played final fantasies 4,7,8,9, and 10 recently.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Woah, been a while since I've given a life sign.
I'm currently fighting off the possibility of homelessness. But if things go according to plan, everything should work out.
Anyways, I expect things to return to a more stable updating schedule in the following days.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Just caught up. I got this game after playing the first one for a while, but I kinda got burned out of it because I spent a lot of time in the first game just grinding up Squall and glossing over the story mode. I guess I'd had enough by the time I got to this one, but it's been long enough now that I want to pick it back up. Great LP so far!

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Transferring from Dissidia to Duodecim was PROBABLY not a good idea for me. Largely because ONLY character levels and AP carried over. So I had a level 100 Firion and a lvl 100 Secret character and all the heroes not named Tidus into the 60's or higher and level 1 equipment for them all....... I only semi recently got my first pieces of level 100 gear because I was reminded of the game by this LP.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 5 Featured: SonicRulez

I'm finally back on track with this. A part of the delay for this episode was that I wanted to do fancy
edits and humerous cuts. So I kept putting it off because that's a huge amount of work.
In the end I decided to not do it, otherwise, you'd still be waiting for an update.

Anyways. We're finally free from the tyranical rule of Vaan, and we set out on the best Dissidia Character.
------

As for aspiring Guest commentators who haven't run off in terror.
Please summon your familiar and have it write an E-mail to Danziro@gmail.com, with skype contact information and we'll sort something out.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 6 Featured: GeneralYeti

Laguna fights a bunch of Munchkins Manikins, and stumble upon something important.
He then gets a leg cramp and discuss philosophy with an intangible cloud made from the absence of light.
We also get to play with experimental laser weaponry designed for spaceships.

This time around, I've dragged GeneralYeti with me to commentate. Learn his terrible secret in the first 40 seconds of the video.
Shame.
Shame.
Shame.
Shame.

:v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So, I've been having a little bit of a tough time, and while I thought I had my home situation under control, I didn't.
Which means I have to put the LP on a hiatus. While I'll have access to the internet, I won't be in an environment where recording
commentary will be viable. I'll be expect to be back sometime after the new year. Unless something else goes wrong.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Don't sweat it - take care of your own stuff before worrying about entertaining internet strangers.

Hope things work out well for you :)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope things worked out for you, Sazero.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Funny coincidence, I was just about to let people know whats up.
So good news. I'm not dead. I'm also not dumpster diving for food just to survive for one more day either. Anymore.
I did suffer a little bit of depression and sadness, what with losing my apartment, but I've since recovered.
I then went on to adventure. I even saved the world. Twice! Just be happy you never get to know the true meaning of the term "Robo Penguin".

So that means the LP is back on track!

Now what the gently caress is my login details for Youtube?
Yep, this is starting off super well. I've missed this. :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Glad to hear you're alright, welcome back.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Don't mind me, I'm just whining about minor LP technical difficulties.

So apparently Audacity can jam when exporting audio, and to unjam it, you have to delete it's config file.
This resultted in Audacity changing it's language to my native language, but I'm used to working in English and now I can't find the Noise Reduction option. :argh:

But seriously, I expect a video to be up within a day, depending on when my household stops using the internet so I can hog it all to upload with.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

It's been so long I've forgotten how to use tags. :(

Episode 7

Somehow someway, moving my computer has changed all my recording settings which I have to fiddle around with again, but I couldn't be bothered with it for this episode.
Sorry but not sorry. That being said, I freely admit that this episode might be poo poo. It's just sort of a thing that needs to happen so I can move on and get back into the swing of things.

I'm taking measures to make the next episode less poo poo. Not that it's a guarantee that it's going to be good. :v:

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
Honestly I really like Yuna's combat style in this and if they had gone for that in FFX-2 it would have probably been more fun. I guess theres plot reasons for the lack of summon but since when has making sense stopped FF from doing anything?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yuna seems like she's got a neat mechanic to her.

Actually, I'm surprised and pleased by the inclusion of range characters in general, and one with remote-attack summons is just upping the ante there.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

This update has been set back by the arrival of Xcom 2 and technical difficulties due to me being an idiot. :negative:

Long of the short is, I deleted my raw video material before I was actually done with it.

Basically I had made the video and uploaded it to youtube for guest commentating. Then for some reason I thought "Hey, I don't need this 70gb video file anymore" and deleted my source material.
Even though I totally did. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get MeGUI, AviSynth and VirtualDub to work with a h264 MP4 video. (I tried converting it to AVI but holy poo poo did that get desynced real fast)
And I suppose there's also going to be side effects to encoding a video twice? I don't know I'm about to find out.

It's a mad experiment. Mwuhahahahaha. :science:

The last emergency option is to rerecord the section. Nothing is really stopping me, except I'd feel real bad for wasting GeneralYeti's time commenting. (I already forgot to hit the record button once.)

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 8 (it's up)
Co-commentator: GeneralYeti

In which we meet Teedus. Then bully Teedus. Then prevent him from being murdered by the crotchmouth.
We also find the coolest feature the game has to offer if you're a narcissist.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 9

Lightning finally manages to reach Sanctuary. It is no longer a simple fantasy.
And then the plot happens.

I kind of don't have a lot to say about this, since it's a recurring character and all.
Except maybe gently caress the Warrior of Light. And also Jecht.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 10

Join Kain as he shoves his spear where it doesn't belong.
Then lug around a pile of corpses, until finally finding his next murder victim.

Also I prattle on about things. But hey, we've hit double digits so if you're still watching this LP this shouldn't be news to you. :haw:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Hello thread, I know it's been a while.
I'm posting today to sort of explain where I've been.
Without making a long and uneventful story take longer than it should.
Let's just chalk it up to burn out, having other hobbies and a short bout of depression and getting side tracked with other things.
I'm sorry for not posting earlier.

So I expect a video to be up in a couple of hours. But what I want to know is this:
Is there still interest in this LP, or should I declare it as failed, end it, and move on to something else?
I'd hate to leave something unfinished, but if there is no interest I don't see a reason to continue.
So what say you thread? Continue: Nah/ Of course? <==

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

>>Y

Quite enjoy these vids.
Though I'm a chronic lurker when I have nothing to say.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm still following and I'd like to see where this story ends up.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'd like this to keep going. I just don't have a lot to say.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

If there is anything something awful have taught it's to :justpost:
For better and for worse. Usually the worse when I post.

But I'm glad to see the interest haven't died. So I'm going to continue to do this.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

It's long over due, but it's here Episode 11

Kain does some things that ultimately reveals little about his side of the story.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Yay, this LP picked back up! :woop:

Don't have much to add, just glad to see this keep going. I get the two confused since I played them right after each other, but I think this is the one where I ignored the story mode and instead just played around with all the fighters and leveled Squall to 80-something. Still had a lot of fun just seeing how everyone fought, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That pre-battle exchange between Kain and Exdeath is one of the better one-liners in the story so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So unfortunately I have to stop the LP. I had a lightning storm the other day and a bolt of lightning put my house on fire while I was out visiting some friends an-

I'm just kidding, don't worry. the update was just slightly delayed because of reasons that are entirely not my fault.
The video is encoding as we speak. I expect it to be uploaded in like 3 hours tops. Unless an actual lightning bolt explodes my house.

• Locked thread