Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Episode (0)12
Guest commentator: shibbotech

Special update today. Since it's the 12th update and that's a number in the title I decided to make the update twice as long and it's totally not me rushing through Tifa's chapter.
Joining me as commentator is shibbotech, who was gracious enough to shamelessly plug my LP in his LP. I'm not going to do that though because I'm a jerk :colbert:
(although you should totally check it out because I'm guest commentating)

Since Tifa was the last character chapter in Duodecim that means it's :siren: Party time :siren:
Yes I am a master pun weaver. :smug:

How parties work and all that jank I'll cover in the next update. (I'm too lazy to look it up now and I'm halfway through the Game of Thrones finale)
But it does mean that we finally have an option to chose who we want to play as.
Since democracy has had some terrible results lately (lol Brexit) hopefully you guys can make up the score.

:siren: VOTE :siren:

Vote for one(1) of your favorite characters of this list:
Lightning.
Yuna.
Laguna
Tifa.
Vaan I'm just kidding you can totally vote for Vaan if you want.

The party roster's ordering will be dependant on the character votes. The ordering is somewhat important.
Final note, no I have not forgotten Kain. Sorry Kain fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Laguna because guns are awesome.

Thanks again for having me, Saz, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, your two weeks are starting to tick down. Best of luck! :devil: Also:

Sazero posted:

I'm just kidding, don't worry. the update was just slightly delayed because of reasons that are entirely not my fault.

look man i had a stomach bug and couldn't commentate that day alright jfc get off my back <3

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
As for character, Lightning because suffering amuses me.

Sazero posted:

I'm just kidding, don't worry. the update was just slightly delayed because of reasons that are entirely not my fault.

I can't talk, I have a hole in my throat :colbert:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Laguna should be in the party.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
By the time you get through your challenge fight, you'll probably be good enough with Tifa to bring her along.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We all know that Laguna was born for screentime. He was in that one movie, after all.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Shibbo Challenge 01

Alright shibbo, you challenged me. Here it is.

Challenge Rules:
No Equipment.
No HP damage taken.

I can't believe it took my that long to edit.

:siren: Voting is also closed. I'll flip a coin to tiebreak Tifa and Lightning. :siren:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Sazero posted:

Shibbo Challenge 01
You're bad at making challenges, Shibbo. I could have destroyed this with ease. What a scrub. #lrn2challenge

Well played, Saz, well played. I suppose it's only fair that I rope you back in for Trauma Center sometime soon so you can respond with a challenge of your own. Looking forward to the next update, buddy. :black101:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 13

:woop: party time! :woop:

So in todays update, Laguna and Lightning murders a bunch of glass people.
Also the plot develops, as we are on the fast track to the ending of Duodecim.
Expect at least triple the amount of cutscenes and text dialogue as we have had so far.

---
Additionally, I'll go over the party system:

A party consists of 2-5 party members.
Should you lose a battle while in a party, you have the option to let the next character in your party continue the battle.
In this sense party members functions as extra lives.
Additionally everyone in the party recieves experience

In the context of Party Battles, things get a bit more complicated.
Party Battles has matchmaking rules that you are free to change prior to the Party Battle.

Round-Robin.
Each character gets to fight a battle equal to the amount of enemies there are in an enemy party.
So that means that with our current party (Laguna, Lightning, Tifa, Yuna, Vaan. In that order)
Only Laguna and Lightning gets to participate in battles against an enemy party with 2 opponents.
If there are 3 opponents, Tifa gets to fight aswell, with 4 Yuna joins in and finally with 5 Vaan also gets to join in.

However, Round Robin also has the special rule of majority wins means victory.
That is to say, that in a 3v3 Party Battle, and you win the first 2 battles, you claim victory of the Party Battle and the last fight is skipped

Tournament.
Tournament rules are All or Nothing. Your whole party fights against the enemy party until either party is wiped out.
Party members will fight until they are defeated.
Laguna will be fighting all battles until he is defeated, where Lightning takes over until she is defeated etc. Until a party has been wiped out.
That also means that you can have Party Battles going 5v2.

Experience is granted to everyone who is slated to participate in a battle.
For example with our party of 5 against an enemy of 3 with Round Robin rules, Laguna, Lightning and Tifa will gain experience for all battles fought
Even if Tifa never actually fights her battle (Because you win the first 2 battles and majority victory kicks in) she will still get experience.
However Yuna and Vaan will not recieve experience.

With Tournament rules every party member is considered participants and get full experience
---

Please bear this in mind in future votings for parties
Also as I said in the video, I'll be having a self imposed rule of "No Retry" in a party battle.
That is to give other characters a chance to the spotlight, as otherwise only the first 3 characters will ever be shown in a video.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
I really like the idea behind letting you toggle round-robin and tournament team fights, definitely a neat mechanic. Do you have a preference over which mode to use? I'd imagine tournament would be more my speed, especially since it grants experience to -all- party members, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.

I've also finally watched the other videos so I'm all caught up. Pretty eager to see the end of Duodecim, well done so far, Saz!

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I personally prefer Tournament. As you said, you get more experience, and if I want to play a different character then I can just
change the lead in the party. Tournament is the "Min/Max" option while Round Robin is the "Speed Run" option.

It's pretty minor though, and sometimes I will just dip into Round Robin just for the sake of something different.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Reports

So throughout the game, we have unlocked reports as we have cleared chapters.
I originally intended to show these off after Episode 14, but.... I'm bored while waiting for Episode 14 to be done with encoding.

So what are Reports? They are basically a Resident Evil file.
Wait don't stop reading, there's more! Please!

Every report has a phrase or word highlighted. This is a Key Word.
If you select this keyword something magical happens. Go on, try it

Report 1 posted:

World: A
Place: Town on The Hawk's Wing

Inherited Memories -01-
"Your memories have a great meaning.1
And as you yourself have noticed, your story, and the recent calamity, are very likely closely linked."

I don't know... My story is about a scientist
and an ordinary mother and child.

The story I am about to tell you may lead
those already in the depths of despair
to further confusion.2

"We intend to lock these pages away,
never to be read by anyone outside."

"By the time your story is excavated and
read by understanding souls in the future,
the story would have long become legend.
It is only our duty3 to preserve our stories;
they provide proof of a life once lived.

Please, tell us your story.
The one deeply etched into your memories..."

Note: There is another keyword in this report, I just haven't recorded it yet, so check back in the future.
I know it's unprofessional to post an update before it's technically done. But I'm not getting paid for this, so I'm not a proffesional. :haw:

Edit: The report is now complete. There are 3 Keywords in total.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 18, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Episode 14 Duodecim FINAL

Sorry for leaving you guys with a cliffhanger like that. But this is it.
The climax of Duodecim is here. This is some Crisis Core poo poo

I'm going into detail later, but for now, enjoy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Video is private.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Errr. It's a copyright claim.
Oh man I'm not really up for dealing with this poopy.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 16, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

News. I have disputed the claim, so for now the video should be viewable. Then we'll see where this crazy train will take us.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Laguna is so the best. I wish we could've traded somebody else for him. This game did a good job giving the Manikins purpose. In the first game they were just jobbers, but in this one they're kinda terrifying. They manage to raise some stakes. From here I think the purpose of Duodecim is confusing to me.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

That's the thing with prequels, they have to be significant, but they can't change the future plot
so ultimately whatever happens in Duodecim cannot affect Dissidia.

But with that being said, the conflict in the Dissidia world happens in multiple cycles.
And as you might have guessed Duodecim is the 12th cycle.
While Dissidia is the 13th cycle.

The plot of Duodecim was to remove the overwhelming advantage that the Chaos side
had with an endless supply of Manikins. And while the Duodecim crew did manage to do that,
they also died permanently. Yes, Laguna, Lightning, Tifa, Yuna, Vaan and Kain? They're gone.

Remember the ending cutscene with the golden dragon ressurrecting
everyone? And how there were bodies laying on the ground, turned golden and rose to the air?
Well that didn't exactly happen with the Duodecim crew. They appeared all soulish and wispy
and then vanished.

I'm not exactly sure why they died permanently(Besides the fact that they obviously weren't there in Dissidia). It could be that Manikins can just murder you so hard
not even god dragons can bring you back(Which I personally don't think so, but could be). It's more likely because they died in the zone near the dimensional rift.
And while the golden dragon(Shinryu) repairs the rest of the world, he doesn't restore the dimensional rift. Presumeably because it's something alien to the world and he has
no power over it. The rift is closed for good. But with that said Chaos does still have an army of Manikins, just not an endless horde anymore.

Either way.
They are out of the conflict.
:smith:

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I believe the explanation is that the Manikin's themselves can actually kill people permanently because they aren't part of the war. Generally speaking they aren't that big of a threat though in comparison to the actual heroes/villains. With the mass number of them though heroes of order were actually dieing off in the 12th war. This is why Kain came up with the plan to kill his allies before the manikins can while WoL sacrificed himself to defend Cosmos until Kain could try to stop the Manikin's himself....and especially to be sure that if the Manikin defeat Cosmos it doesn't take her out and break everything. Then the heroes of this game decide to stay up and sacrifice themselves with him to ensure it worked.

Then congrats they successfully destroyed the portal though they died in the process, WoL was also going to die defending Cosmos who had grown attached enough to him that she decided to use her power to save him and kill herself creating the weakness and loopholes that exist in the 13th cycle that allows its ending to happen.

I will say that technically the manikins are SORT of part of this world which is probably the loop hole that lets them do things here in the first place, not sure how much of that I can say though because I forget where you learn it. (Its honestly probably one of the kinda hard to find records or something.)

Edit:If I should spoiler more tell me. I initially just spoilered it all until I could pick through and find what specifically to spoiler.

Chaeden fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 16, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Might want to spoiler like half your post about future plot. Like seriously the whole loopwhole and weakness thing, please spoiler that

I'm also being coy/vague for the sake of not spoilering the game.

I can not really discuss more indepth without spoilering, so I won't.
It's not that I won't engage in internet discussion, it's just that I can't.

But I will make this point. If the Manikins are outside the conflict, why do they ally with Chaos?
Don't answer though, because that's also spoilers. :haw:

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Honestly I either don't remember or never specifically found out why they allied with Chaos. I just kinda assumed at least one of the bad guys figured out some way to control them or make them non-hostile to them. Kinda like how EVERY bad guy seems to have mastered the art of teleportation seemingly while the good guys have to walk everywhere. As per the norm for good guys and bad guys where the bad guys are far more proactive about their goals while the good guys are almost purely reactive. (Also the reason why I liked the idea of playing a villain in City of Heroes more then playing a hero despite them seeming to almost never live up to that changing of dichotomies and usually just had the villains react to the bigger villains.)

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Thanks, your post is fine now

Well to be fair a good majority of the villains are some sort of wizard or higher magical being.:haw:
But I get what you mean. As for the Manikins. Well I guess you'll just have to read the Reports. :smug:

But do note how at the Manikin assault on Cosmos, there were no original villains.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Alright, I've updated the Report 1 post with all the relevant keywords.
I'm just letting you guys know.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Oh hey, we're playing some characters from the first game, I can comment about them.

I didn't spend much time as Kuja, but what I remember is that he's really floaty.

Zidane is pretty nice, but most of his bravery attacks start air duels, and if you're like me and take each of them up, it becomes the whole fight at that point. Otherwise, he's pretty quick and a pretty fun character to play.

I've mentioned before that I spent the most time as Squall. Squall likes being on the ground. He gets more attacks that are ground-based, and several of his aerial combos throw his enemies down, like the one he demonstrated on you a couple times that stabs down a bunch before the throw.

Also, now I understand why only the new characters were playable in Duodecim's main story mode. Huh. I might give the game a second chance now. This thread has made me want to pick it back up anyway, but now that we're getting to the older characters, I really want to go back in.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Squall is a good character and I think his character is portrayed better in Dissidia than in his own game (There's much less ... and whatevers).
Squall and Zidane are very similar fighters though. Except Squall is much flashier as we will come to see.

I originally planned to sprinkle the reports in as the LP went on. But now that I've been reminded of what they actually contain, it seems
better to get them out of the way before continueing on to Dissidia. Although that will mean that we get to play as some characters
before their chapters, so I'm not going to get really into their characters when that happens.

Speaking of Duodecim, you could probably power through it in around 8 hours or so. Less if you skip the challenge fights.
There is also an option to unlock the Dissidia content by buying it in the PP Catalogue (or maybe I'm thinking of the "unlock everything" option.)
but it has a somewhat steep price and you miss out on glorious Laguna. And why would you ever want that? :colbert:

Don't worry though, while the Duodecim crew is dead, that doesn't mean we won't be seeing more of them.
I'd probably do a stream at some point.

One last thing. How important is Moogle Mail to you people? Should I cut it out or should I show more of it?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Time for another report. This time it's complete as I post it.

Report 2 posted:

Place: Town on the Hawk's Wing

Inherited Memories -02-

He was so small, it was hard to imagine he
was born with suck immense powers within.
The state was supposed to take care of him,
but we decided to adopt and raise him
as our own.

One look into those innocent eyes,
anyone would have made the same choice.

We were painfully aware that he was not ours,
but that he belonged to the state. He would be
taken away from us one day, and we knew why.

My husband was having doubts about his latest
assignment. His other invetions-levistones,
airships-enriched people's lives. But not this one.
This was a child, and a tool for war

But calamity was upon us. The state had to arm
itself against neighboring states who had
weapons such as Omega and summonable monsters.

He had no choice but to continue his research
in order to protect our peace.

Alright so there are two references in this report. The first is Cid.
Cid is a recurring character in almost all Final Fantasies and he is almost always involved with airships. In the earlier Final Fantasies he is the one who invents airships, while in the later he is just a commander of one or the financial backer in the creation of airships.
He is also sometimes a playable character. If Cid is involved, always think "airship".

The second reference is the passage about "Omega and summonable monsters".
:siren:HUGE FINAL FANTSY 10 SPOILERS BELOW. ONLY READ THIS IF YOU DON*T CARE TO BE SPOILED.:siren:
This is a reference to the plot in Final Fantasy 10 where Sin (the big bad villain and super weapon) was created
to counter another country's way of fighting (IE: Aeons, who were summonable magical beasts made from people's spirit)
Sin functioned like a physical computer virus. It would cause destruction where ever it could, and should it
be defeated by an Aeon, it would infect that Aeon and turn it into another Sin (Technically it was Yu Yevon, which was the core of Sin).

Remember how Aeons were made from people's spirit? That's how Jecth became Sin. He was made into an Aeon to defeat Sin before
the events of FF10. The process is slow, taking years while the ego of the spirit would degrade as time went on.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm being a busy bee today so more reports!

Report 3 posted:

Inherited Memories -03-

The child was beginning to learn words,
which he tried so hard to string together
in order to communicate with us.
He called me Mama, and my husband Papa.
He never doubted the love between us.

The child made us smile! As we lived in fear
under the threat of war, he gave us such great
joy-however fleeting it was destined to be.

Indeed, our happiness was short-lived.
War had begun.

The child was taken and isolated from us by
the military, which decided to use him early
to put a swift end to the war.

He had grown by then, and more than adequate as
a weapon. The problem was not with his powers.

The problem was he didn't follow military orders.

I was soon detained by emissaries of the state.
The military decided to depend on his "mother,"
figuring he would have to follow my orders.

The child complied... And sealed Omega and the
other monsters. Dwellings in the neighbor state
were reduced to smoldering rubble and ash...

What I saw in the aftermath was hell itself.

... I had no alternative.
If he were not to fulfill his duty as a weapon
he would be executed. I had to follow the
military's orders in order to save the child.

Even at the cost of ruining countless other
lives, I desperately wanted to save him.

:stare: Did I transcribe the report correctly? It's starting to sound like
Drakengard-lite. Is this taking place in Not!Germany?

Jokes aside. So Omega has been mentioned again so let's discuss him a little.
Omega Weapon is a recurring boss in most Final Fantasies. It doesn't
appear as often as Cid, but he is in a good amount of games.
Omega Weapon is usually an optional superboss with no set origin.
It's appearence is usually mechanical in nature though and most often
it's implied that it was created by some sort of super science.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 19, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
So just to break up the text dump of reports, Saz and I were talking about his previous LP of The Legend of Kartia and I decided to test rule 34 out. It turns out, not only is there not any Saradiart porn in the first few pages of Google results, but if you google "legend of kartia porn", well...

One of his LP updates is the first result oh my god :stonk:

edit:

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 20, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I am the monster! :negative:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
You know what we do to monsters, Saz.

In all sincerity though, I do like how you've been handling the reports and am really excited to see how the main Dissidia game plays out. About how long would you think it takes to play through the actual game? I'm assuming a fair bit longer than Duodecim, given that it was a prequel.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Report 4 posted:

Inherited Memories -04-

They wanted my cooperation a second time, but
I resisted. My husband and I were branded as
traitors and incarcerated deep underground.

So many lives lost because of me...
I was overcome with grief.
And then I heard about another research
project begun by the military.

The research was on creating similitudes.
The state was seeking to create a copy of me to
control the child according to their will-and
repeat the tragedy.

The child's immense powers must have been
worth their efforts.

But I could not accept it.
His was a synthetic life, but a life nonetheless!
Why did he alone have to suffer so?
Why must he repeat destruction time and again?

Time was running out. I decided to take action
before their research was complete.

The plot thickens.
By now it should be possible to guess who is who in this story so far.
Hint: Who do we know who keep destroying the world?
Double Hint: What does Manikins look like?
--

As for the keyword videos, they prove me wrong in my earlier statement about why the Duodecim crew died.
Manikins can totally super murder characters in the conflict to the point of no return. Although it takes a fair
bit more than simply getting defeated by one. I was wrong. :negative:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Report 5 posted:

Inherited Memories -05-

We were incarcerated in a cave where
many monsters roamed.

I studied the monsters' behavior and used them
to or advantage to break out with my husband.
Running as fugitives, we managed to arrive at the
laboratory where the child was supposed to be kept.

What we found was a similitude of me in the
making...and the child who was no longer himself.
He was emaciated beyond recognition.
And I saw wisps of hatred seething
deep inside his empty eyes.

We had no time to explain much. I only told
him briefly about our situation, and urged him
to join us in our escape.

Just as my husband and I were about to escape
with the child in tow-I was caught by soldiers
and shot.
In that instant, I think I heard the
child's sad cry from far away.

But at the same time, my heart was engulfed
by a bad premonition-as the color of hatred
in his eyes grew deeper...

I was right.
In front of the child was born a tiny rip in the
time-space continuum that quickly grew to an
immense shadow that swallowed everything...

And that is where I lost consciousness.
When I came to, the laboratory was in ruins.
The child and my husband were nowhere to be seen.

:siren:Watch the videos first:siren:

Alright there are words that needs to be said and there are many.
I figure this is probably the more appropriate time. So let's talk about FF7.
This is obviously spoilers for FF7. I'm also leaving out a LOT of stuff. If you've recently played FF7, you can totally skip this effort post.
If you haven't, well strap in.

For those still blessed by ignorance FF7 is a game that has a huge "ENVIRONMENTALISM" message.
In fact, if FF7 was a book, it'd be mandatory read in an english litterrature class.
But that is not within the scope of this effort post.

So who the gently caress are these assholes?
Let's start with everyone's favorite bishounen anime villain. Sephiroth.
The name Sephiroth is a reference to some religious mumbojumpo I can't make
heads or tails of, so wikipedia it in your own time.
But what is a Sephiroth? He is a super soldier(Not to be confused with SOLDIER) who was artificially
made by the Shinra corporation. Basically in FF7 everything bad is because of the Shinra corporation.
Anyways Sephiroth was a pretty cool dude, until he found some secret research notes about himself,
where he learned he was artificially created with an aliens cells (This alien is Important(tm) and is named JENOVAH).
Learning that he is in fact a special snowflake turns him insane and he starts to burn down the town of Niflheim (A rather important place)

Which leads us to:
Tifa and Cloud. Tifa and Cloud grew up in Niflheim, Cloud left because the town sucked and he wanted to realize his dream of becoming a SOLDIER(Shinra's elite force).
Tifa was kind of stuck in Niflheim, but learned totally kickass martial arts from a wandering master (he has a name but I forget it). Also they were both childhood friends.
This is Important(tm). Cloud doesn't return to Niflheim until an assignment brings him there together with Sephiroth (his hero).

Unfortunately Clouds lifeplans didn't exactly pan out and he didn't become a proper SOLDIER.
What is a SOLDIER? Well they're people who have been infused with JENOVAH cells (remember they're alien) and something
called Mako (It's also Important(tm) but not for the discussion of this short overview) to give them super human strength. There is a reason Cloud can swing that large rear end sword
after all. But here is the thing. He is considered a failure (This is also Important(tm)) and are thus not a real SOLDIER.

Anyways after Sephiroth insanifies (I like making new words okey?:colbert:) Cloud and a guy named Zack(Important(tm)) chases after him seperately.
Zack arrives first and finds Sephiroth with JENOVAH's head in his hand talking about being a new ubermench or something and then Sephiroth kicks Zacks rear end.
Zack incidentally is totally a SOLDIER and a pretty stand up dude. And while he is important his exploits don't have much meaning in the context of this exposition)
Cloud then later shows up, finds Tifa heavily wounded and thinks she's dead. In a fit of rage Cloud chases Sephiroth and absolutely loving murders him.
Cloud pulls a Obiwan Kenobi on Sephiroth, (Cutting him in half, seperating him from his legs and dumps him down a pit).

All of this is just the pre-story to the events of FF7. And you won't find out about most things until you're almost at the end of the game.
Because it's revealed that Cloud is an Unreliable Narrator. (Which is also Shinra's fault. loving Shinra man :argh:)

I'm typing all this just to preempt the "Man Cloud is such an emo human being, like wtf man?" So here is the thing.
Cloud is totally justified in being a bit down. Because Shinra Corporation is such an example of absolutely loving assholery.
Cloud got experimented on after he murders Shinra's prize super soldier. So after Niflheim, he gets captured together with Zack
and gets put in a tube filled with Mako, I think? Well in some weird as poo poo. Mako has some serious mental effects on people
because of the nature of the thing. But basically Cloud becomes a drooling retard. Thankfully Zack breaks them both out of the lab.

This pissed of Shinra to an almost unbelieveable degree. They send their loving army after them. Zack has to dump Cloud somewhere
(who is still a drooling retard). He then tries to be a distraction and continuously fights off the Army until he dies. RIP ZACK. :smith:
In the meantime, Cloud somehow stumbles into a train and meets Tifa in Midgard. So here's the thing. The key thing about Cloud in FF7.
When he meets Tifa in Midgard, he isn't Cloud anymore. Well argueably he stopped being Cloud when was put in the mako tube.
Somehow he has gained Zack's memories (through the weird goop stuff in the lab) and he now thinks he is Zack.
Throughout most of FF7, you don't even see how the protagonist really are. All the mannerism, ways of thinking, and attitude?
It's all Zack baby. Plot stuff happens and Cloud becomes himself again. Oh also through out all of this? Tifa totally knew all along.
Now that's just hosed up.

You might be thinking "Wait if Sephiroth was defeated how is he the main villain of FF7?". What? This effort post isn't long enough?
Basically because he is anime planet cancer, that's how.

-----

So putting all that info into the context of this cutscene.
There is sort of a role reversal between Tifa and Cloud. Back in the original game when Cloud(Zack) meets Tifa in Midgaard. Tifa is in the position of knowing what the gently caress is going on.
While Cloud(Zack) is in a delusion. In the Report, it's Tifa who doesn't remember Cloud or really have any idea of what is going on.

Don't loving post about Prologus, I know it exists and I have something Planned(tm)

Sazero fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 26, 2016

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Part of the reason everyone who hasn't played FF7 recently thinks Cloud is emo is because SE hosed up his characterization in Kingdom Hearts when they switched around Cloud's, Squall's and Vincent's roles in that game and didn't bother rewriting it to reflect their characters. So Cloud acts a lot more like Vincent in KH while Squall acts like Cloud. This combined with the fact that Cloud was bummed out from having Magic Cancer in Advent Children but wasn't really explained has led everyone to believe that Cloud is a giant emo (including SE arguably).

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Maybe Cloud is just emo in Dissidia because he remembers how awful Advent Children was? :haw:
I'm not a huge Kingdom Hearts buff, so I can't speak for those games.
But does that mean that Vincent acted like Squall?
Reading the LP Elentor wrote on FF7 really helped me get the rose tinted glasses off.

Now that I think about it. Clouds downer moment in FF7 kind of pales in comparrison to his
actual retardation after a trip in the Lifestream(Basically the planets blood, when people die their energy goes there to be recycled).
I think he is the only Final Fantasy character to have ever sat in a wheel chair with clear mental deficiencies and being portrayed as such.
There is sort of a disconnect between Cloud at the FF7 ending and Advent Children Cloud.
(AC Cloud being more angsty for whatever reason)

Now that I think even more about it. Cloud certainly had a reason to be angsty but he most
certainly wasn't at the end of FF7. But then again he IS on the Chaos side in Dissidia right now
so he knows more about the whole cycle thing. Don't know why he is being a dick to Tifa though.
Payback maybe? :haw:

Still despite Cloud being a giant emo, he does some pretty metal things.
One of which is coming up in 2 reports from now. It's also the last report unlocked for
Duodecim so we can finally move on to Dissidia for realz.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sazero posted:

I'm not a huge Kingdom Hearts buff, so I can't speak for those games.
But does that mean that Vincent acted like Squall?
No they got rid of Vincent completely because someone complained about there being too many FF7 characters in the game so they brought in Squall to balance things out a bit.

quote:

There is sort of a disconnect between Cloud at the FF7 ending and Advent Children Cloud.
(AC Cloud being more angsty for whatever reason)

I've only ever watched AC once but apparently there's a scene in the special edition which explains that he's down because he has Magic Cancer, and this scene isn't in the original so most people think he's just being emo.

quote:

Don't know why he is being a dick to Tifa though.
Payback maybe? :haw:

I guess you could argue that since he has his memories and Tifa doesn't, he's being a dick to keep her away from him. Or SE just not really remembering how Cloud is supposed to be. :v:

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 26, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I guess you could argue that since he has his memories and Tifa doesn't, he's being a dick to keep her away from him. Or SE just not really remember how Cloud is supposed to be. :v:

Probably the last one, since everyone have trouble remembering how Cloud is supposed to be :downs:

Also, only the nerdiest of the nerds have Advent Children Special Edition. :colbert:
But yeah that Magic Cancer scene seem to be kind of crucial. I wonder why it was cut out. (I mean besides SE being SE)
Now take into context that Lightning was supposed to be a female Cloud and.. err. Actually what the gently caress? :confused:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal with Lightning is. I've read somewhere that they messed up the voice direction in FF13 so she comes across a lot colder in the English version than the Japanese version, and it's also why Vanille sounds so weird, because they were forcing her VA to act like the Japanese one. Still not sure this explains it though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

After seeing all those Report videos, I have just one thing to say: Kefka is such an rear end in a top hat.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

What? Being a magical assclown who enslaves women wasn't enough already?:haw: He also makes the world of FF6 a post apocalyptical hellhole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So the LP curse struck again, but on a more personal level which is why this update has been stalled until now.
I've been pretty :negative: the last week or so. Granted the update was already late, but the event that took place prolonged it.

On the bright side, atleast it wasn't 3 months. :haw:

Report 6 posted:

Inherited Memories -06-

We originate from a tribe that inherits memories
through ceremony. The knowledge and skills in my
husband were inherited as well.
I had intended to use the teleportation device as
part of our escape, but I decided to use it to
return to my tribe. I fel the need to pass on
my memories even if I were to die there and then.

I arrived in the town on the Hawk's Wing, where
my tribe still lived in the middle of a forest.
They were trying to use on of my husband's
levistones to elevate the whole town in order to
escape the shadow that appeared so suddenly.

I told them my plight, and they understood.
They immediatedly began the ceremony of
memory succession...

So this report is a reference to the world setting of Final Fantasy 3.
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details because FF3 has been remade several times.
And since I can only remember the remakes, you'll excuse me if some of the things I'm posting
here is wrong compared to the original NES release.

In FF3 the world suddenly experienced a great darkness that overtook the world
and froze it in time (Yes it was the Cloud of Darkness).
To escape this fate a group of people elevated some landmass into the air, and lived on it.

Incidentally FF3 is also the first instance of the Job System; where your characters would recieve new
classes/jobs from the 4 Crystals of Light as the plot developed. These jobs/classes could be exchanged at will (outside of battle)
but each character had to level up each job individually to unlock their potential.
It's also implied that these jobs were actually the experiences of age old people who had mastered these jobs.
Hence the term "Inherited Memories"

On a side note, Final Fantasy 3 is also the first Final Fantasy with the concept of Dark Crystals.
Dark Crystals are the darkness counterpart to the Crystals of Light. FF4 also has this concept.
Interestingly, in FF3 there is also a darkness counterpart to the Heroes of Light, but they are not in conflict with each other.
They are of course named the Heroes of Darkness.

In the World of FF3 the Heroes of Light and Darkness serve as a counter balance to the opposite force.
When Darkness gets too out of hand the Crystals of Light choose 4 people and they serve as the Heroes of Light.
The same thing happens when Light gets too strong. The Crystals of Darkness choose 4 people and then they have to go fight a JRPG god.
I'm wrong and I'm being an idiot who should read the frigging wikipedia when in doubt.

In actuality in FF3 the Warriors of Darkness emerged when the Crystals of Light were abused. They got their power from the Crystals of Darkness to calm poo poo down and return balance to the world. And while they succeeded they didn't manage to repair all the damage that had been done. Later on the Warriors of Light show up to murder the Cloud of Darkness.

FF3 is the only game that has Heroes of Darkness. They are certainly not a thing in FF5.
No Final Fantasy ever takes place from the viewpoint of Darkness, so what sort of Bad Things(tm) happen
when Light is dominant is unknown. Final Fantasy Tactics maybe? :v:
I'm being an idiot again.

It could be argued that the warriors in FF5 are actually Warriors of Darkness as they serve a similar role as the Warriors
of Darkness does in FF3. The Crystals are being misused by mankind. They're also possessed by an evil tree. Guess who did that poo poo too, yeah humans. gently caress us. However it's never actually stated that the Crystals, the warriors get their powers from, are the Crystals of light, or darkness, so there is some ambiguity there.

Additionally Warriors of Darkness also appear in Final Fantasy Dimensions, apparently. :shrug:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 13, 2016

• Locked thread