Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

spacemang_spliff posted:

loving lol at so-called liberals and leftists defending Iraq war votes.

America doesn't have many liberals or leftists. I seriously think the percentage of the population that is black is greater than the percentage that is liberal. And I'm not even using some strawman "purity" definition requiring complete communism tomorrow, either. I mean just basic, humane, rational, run-of-the-mill left-wing thinking. Most of the "liberals" I know are quite happy with America engaging in wars, using drones to execute criminals extrajudicially, spying, and with economic policy that undercuts everybody but the 1%. Even on social issues they're barely left-of-center (where "center" is defined as "don't be a dick to blacks/gays/etc.") and seem to only begrudgingly accept that these folks ought to be treated as equal human beings, and that after a prolonged fight in the public discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Feather posted:

America doesn't have many liberals or leftists. I seriously think the percentage of the population that is black is greater than the percentage that is liberal. And I'm not even using some strawman "purity" definition requiring complete communism tomorrow, either. I mean just basic, humane, rational, run-of-the-mill left-wing thinking. Most of the "liberals" I know are quite happy with America engaging in wars, using drones to execute criminals extrajudicially, spying, and with economic policy that undercuts everybody but the 1%. Even on social issues they're barely left-of-center (where "center" is defined as "don't be a dick to blacks/gays/etc.") and seem to only begrudgingly accept that these folks ought to be treated as equal human beings, and that after a prolonged fight in the public discourse.

I live in a rural, conservative area and when I talk about left wing economic policies to people they will almost always end up agreeing with them if you avoid buzzwords. I think a lot of traditional white liberals (urban upper middle class types) are actually more naturally reactionary than some traditional conservatives (blue collar whites and such) when it comes to a lot of issues, but the Liberal vs Conservative label/Republican vs Democrat is more about culture war. I also think being a conservative is strongly attached (at least in conservative areas where I grew up) to masculinity, where if you're a liberal you're a pussy bleeding heart elitest who hasn't worked a day in your life, and much less about policies. The only elements that really draw them to the Republicans is racism, nationalism, and militarism. Which is why Donald Trump is being so successful, because he embodies all of those elements (and masculinity especially) while almost being straight up liberal in other areas that a good chunk of republicans dont care about.

A straight up populist party, being strong on anti-immigration, nationalism and the military while being left wing on economic issues would be incredibly successful imo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Shillery Killbot

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet

Same here op.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

barry soetoro is incorrect because thats not his name. whereas $hillary kkklinton is her name, just look at the birth certificate

Agreed Chairman.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

also lol @ people deciding that a yes vote in 2003 on Iraq now qualifies one as a "war criminal".

It should.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also voting for the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 should make you a pariah. Yes, especially if your name is Clinton or Biden.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Also voting for the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 should make you a pariah.

Biden wrote the dang thing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Biden wrote the dang thing

Yep.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Pretty sad, because the argument for Bush and Co being war criminals is about specific war crimes, mostly torture, not about the fact that the war itself was rather unnecessary and stupid.

Calling someone a war criminal for voting for the war itself, which did not include support for violating the Geneva Convention in the process, neatly papers over the actual war crimes in a haze of self-indulgent ideological purity. Bush and Cheney no doubt love you assholes for whitewashing their legacy for them.

Also yeah, the $hillary crap is some freep level stuff.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Pretty sad, because the argument for Bush and Co being war criminals is about specific war crimes, mostly torture, not about the fact that the war itself was rather unnecessary and stupid.

Calling someone a war criminal for voting for the war itself, which did not include support for violating the Geneva Convention in the process, neatly papers over the actual war crimes in a haze of self-indulgent ideological purity. Bush and Cheney no doubt love you assholes for whitewashing their legacy for them.

an aggressive war is, in and of itself, a war crime - whether or not you intended for even worse stuff to happen during the war, which is inevitable and why you dont go to war unless its a real loving excellent reason

also she voted for the patriot act lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

TEAYCHES posted:

an aggressive war is, in and of itself, a war crime - whether or not you intended for even worse stuff to happen during the war, which is inevitable and why you dont go to war unless its a real loving excellent reason

also she voted for the patriot act lmao

Whereas war crimes are things that people have gotten together and decided are a crime even during war. Like torture, rape, etc.

Believe it or not, the Bush administration did terrible things that were previously considered unthinkable even during wartime for America. The fact that you can't tell the difference between going to war within the restraints of international law with regards to the treatment of enemy soldiers and civilians and literally stealing lines from the Nazi playbook speaks volumes as to your actual priorities, which have nothing to do with anything but winning a intra-party slapfight in the primaries.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Anyway I'll agree that voting for an unnecessary war under dubious premise, unless your vote can be linked to corruption, isn't in itself a war-crime. But it should disqualify you from political office for the rest of your life. Because you are obviously a reactionary who thinks the main job of congress is to get reelected.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Whereas war crimes are things that people have gotten together and decided are a crime even during war. Like torture, rape, etc.

Believe it or not, the Bush administration did terrible things that were previously considered unthinkable even during wartime for America. The fact that you can't tell the difference between going to war within the restraints of international law with regards to the treatment of enemy soldiers and civilians and literally stealing lines from the Nazi playbook speaks volumes as to your actual priorities, which have nothing to do with anything but winning a intra-party slapfight in the primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_the_Iraq_War#War_of_aggression

dont skirt the issue, a war of aggression is illegal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Powercrazy posted:

Anyway I'll agree that voting for an unnecessary war under dubious premise, unless your vote can be linked to corruption, isn't in itself a war-crime. But it should disqualify you from political office for the rest of your life. Because you are obviously a reactionary who thinks the main job of congress is to get reelected.

You can set your own test for who you will and will not support, and she deserves a great deal of poo poo for jumping on the Iraq bandwagon. There is a link between her vote and her relatively lovely foreign policy views, and at the very least she should be pushed to admit that her vote was a mistake and pressured from the left so she doesn't feel free to do her best Neocon impersonation if she is elected.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

like, even if the nazis had conducted themselves with the utmost grace and honor, the original crime was invading poland. sorry about your defense of clinton though

also before you cry godwins law the results of the iraq war and the current scale of the refugee crisis in syria is staggering

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mrit posted:

oh. so she isnt a war criminal. got it.

if you can't accept htat she's directly a war criminal just know that she supported one by voting the way she did
(dick cheney)
(iraq)

maker has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Aug 30, 2015

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Feather posted:

congrats on knowing very few people who happen to all be pretty lovely I guess

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
honestly I think very few americans are liberal, much less leftist. For example, the members of my prison gang (the Aryan Brotherhood),

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Emanuel Collective posted:

honestly I think very few americans are liberal, much less leftist. For example, the members of my prison gang (the Aryan Brotherhood),

i hear theyre generally very in favor of leftist economics

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Does that make me a war criminal because I was in the Navy from 2008-2013

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

like, even if the nazis had conducted themselves with the utmost grace and honor, the original crime was invading poland. sorry about your defense of clinton though

also before you cry godwins law the results of the iraq war and the current scale of the refugee crisis in syria is staggering
Syria is definitely related to the Iraq war, but Assad is the guy who's making Syria an unlivable hellhole by barrel bombing civilians

I think the saying goes "Assad or we burn the country", and welp

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Hillary can't be a war criminal because that might lead to some unpleasant implications about myself.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Miltank posted:

Hillary can't be a war criminal because that might lead to some unpleasant implications about myself.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

maker posted:

if you can't accept htat she's directly a war criminal just know that she supported one by voting the way she did
(dick cheney)
(iraq)

this is basically how I feel.

Any democrat who voted for the Iraq war is either an idiot or a coward. Clinton, Biden, Kerry included.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

blue squares posted:

nah

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

No, because you are asking about it in front of us and it is slightly awkward to call someone a war criminal(under flimsy justifications) to their figurative face.
But $hillary! Totes a war criminal. Because reasons.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mrit posted:

No, because you are asking about it in front of us and it is slightly awkward to call someone a war criminal(under flimsy justifications) to their figurative face.

actually weve given plenty of reasons why a sitting united states senator who supports an aggressive invasion of a sovereign nation could be considered a war criminal but you really really dont like that we live in a nation where its not polite to bring that up

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

America is 70% Good 30% Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgO1LUijb0k

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mrit posted:

just being in the military doesn't make a person a war criminal you idiot
being a person in power and supporting a war that wasn't justifiable in any sense does

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
do people not realize she not only voted for it but worked to convince other spineless idiot democrats to vote for it too?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I write it as $hillary because i find it funny

like doing

$treet $marts, get yours

Micro$oft is also cool too

it is just funny and amusing and there is nothing wrong with that

there u go

like Ubi$oft

all kinds of crazy applications, go wild

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Democrat shooting his own foot — forever.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Democrat shooting his own foot — forever.

heh, "future"

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

maker posted:

just being in the military doesn't make a person a war criminal you idiot
being a person in power and supporting a war that wasn't justifiable in any sense does

I don't think anyone in this thread(Hillary included) is a war criminal, I'm just(poorly) mocking those who do.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I believe Hillary is innocent of war crimes until proven guilt. But there's certainly enough evidence for a trial.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

do people not realize she not only voted for it but worked to convince other spineless idiot democrats to vote for it too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS9y5t0tR0

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol she was even working on building the Iraq - OBL link

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I enlisted as a dumb teenage conservative, and though I only worked in a support maintenance role, I feel a deep sense of guilt over supporting an organization that killed many innocent people. This probably sounds silly, but I feel that thus far I have had a net negative impact on the world as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
thank you for your service

• Locked thread