Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's time for Democrats to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Love that shiteating grin while she casts a vote for war.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Miltank posted:

Love that shiteating grin while she casts a vote for war.

*votes for war and gore*

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TEAYCHES posted:

also im the one who bought :shillary: and i have no regrets

I do not know if that statement is true, but I will take the chance that it is, therefore: I would like to extend my sincerest thanks for this purchase. It is literally and figuratively the coolest item in the smilies page. I unironically love it and almost feel like everyone in the Bernie Sanders thread owe you a little money for it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's dumb as hell. On the same level as "Democraps" or "Obummer."

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jewel Repetition posted:

Both of those are good though?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Jewel Repetition posted:

No, it's pretty funny, in a juvenile kind of way. And relative to where it is you're "hanging out", it's probably relatively high minded. Just remember: you, too, are posting on the Something Awful forums.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I live in a rural, conservative area and when I talk about left wing economic policies to people they will almost always end up agreeing with them if you avoid buzzwords. I think a lot of traditional white liberals (urban upper middle class types) are actually more naturally reactionary than some traditional conservatives (blue collar whites and such) when it comes to a lot of issues, but the Liberal vs Conservative label/Republican vs Democrat is more about culture war. I also think being a conservative is strongly attached (at least in conservative areas where I grew up) to masculinity, where if you're a liberal you're a pussy bleeding heart elitest who hasn't worked a day in your life, and much less about policies. The only elements that really draw them to the Republicans is racism, nationalism, and militarism. Which is why Donald Trump is being so successful, because he embodies all of those elements (and masculinity especially) while almost being straight up liberal in other areas that a good chunk of republicans dont care about.

A straight up populist party, being strong on anti-immigration, nationalism and the military while being left wing on economic issues would be incredibly successful imo

basically there's room for a european style conservative party

if such a thing were to come into being, it would be good for the average white person, but minorities would be just as hosed as they always have been

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol she was even working on building the Iraq - OBL link

lmao

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dalael posted:

I do not know if that statement is true, but I will take the chance that it is, therefore: I would like to extend my sincerest thanks for this purchase. It is literally and figuratively the coolest item in the smilies page. I unironically love it and almost feel like everyone in the Bernie Sanders thread owe you a little money for it.

someone else actually created the image i just put up the cash

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still find it funny that people think every single 2003 Iraq vote was out of pure sincerity and love of death and not the end result of a years long campaign by neo-cons combined with out right lies from military leaders.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

I still find it funny that people think every single 2003 Iraq vote was out of pure sincerity and love of death and not the end result of a years long campaign by neo-cons combined with out right lies from military leaders.

it wasnt at all sincere. i imagine a lot of congresscritters knew it was a loving crock of poo poo but calculated that it was political suicide in the years following 9/11 to not be a hawk so went along with it anyway. it was cynical politics, but cynical politics can result in just as much human suffering and death as true believers (maybe even more??)

doesnt change the fact that plenty of people of integrity opposed it from the very start and didnt eat the obvious dogshit cheney & gang were serving up

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

I still find it funny that there are people who think congress people are so stupid that they can be easily bamboozled by a soulless, craven shitheel and a flimflam, coke-addled, drunk con-artist along with their cronies. Actually, it's not funny at all, because it's entirely plausible that congress people are, in general, that stupid.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feather posted:

I still find it funny that there are people who think congress people are so stupid that they can be easily bamboozled by a soulless, craven shitheel and a flimflam, coke-addled, drunk con-artist along with their cronies. Actually, it's not funny at all, because it's entirely plausible that congress people are, in general, that stupid.

lol this is some serious downplaying of the insane amount of work the neo-con movement put into getting actual generals to lie about intelligence. Like do you think the Iraq war vote suddenly just happened one day and wasn't the result of almost a full year of media war? Again goons are proving how little they know about how things work inside the belt way.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

lol this is some serious downplaying of the insane amount of work the neo-con movement put into getting actual generals to lie about intelligence. Like do you think the Iraq war vote suddenly just happened one day and wasn't the result of almost a full year of media war? Again goons are proving how little they know about how things work inside the belt way.

i would highly question someones judgement if they didnt know they were being played. also feather is wrong, these people werent stupid, just cynical. respond to my previous post its more accurate imo

basically if you didnt succumb to pressure to vote for the iraq war you were political kryptonite in many places, or at least that was the assumption. if you dont have the integrity to stand up to media pressure and manipulation from a neocon president, including evil lizard men like dick cheney, then youre a worthless fraud, a hack, an unprincipled person, or easily fooled. i think it was more political hackery than fooling tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blue squares posted:

Does that make me a war criminal because I was in the Navy from 2008-2013

Yes.

And so are the voters who elected those senators and congresspeople who voted Yes to War.

And so are the other voters who did not immediately take up the panga and destroy their neighbors for such transgressions against God and humanity.

America and its people are burdened heavily with the wages of bloody sin. A burden which can only be lightened through the unleashing of rivers of gore.

My friends the time is upon us to wage Haguely Jihad upon our neighbors. Good night, and may we find peace in Death.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes.

And so are the voters who elected those senators and congresspeople who voted Yes to War.

And so are the other voters who did not immediately take up the panga and destroy their neighbors for such transgressions against God and humanity.

America and its people are burdened heavily with the wages of bloody sin. A burden which can only be lightened through the unleashing of rivers of gore.

My friends the time is upon us to wage Haguely Jihad upon our neighbors. Good night, and may we find peace in Death.

i see what you did there but there are different levels of culpability when a decision is made to go to war. for example, tony blair and george bush both would be hanged by the standards of the nuremberg trials, whereas blue squares would probably receive little to no punishment unless he were directly involved in something like abu graib or was wildly gunning civilians down in the street as a blackwater mercenary

if you think that intention and scale of responsibility dont matter and you can throw all of this into some big homogeneous salad of equal guilt then im afraid you are a loving dumbass

again as miltank said

Miltank posted:

Hillary can't be a war criminal because that might lead to some unpleasant implications about myself.

the reason why the assertion that the leaders who supported the iraq war could be considered war criminals causes people like pener kropoopkin to make such senseless posts is because the implication is that so many of us are ok with washing our hands and nominating someone with as poor of judgement as hillary clinton as a presidential candidate, and its important to not confront that in yourself because then youd have to change your mind

TEAYCHES has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Aug 31, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think Hillary Clinton should be guillotined for a multitude of reasons, I just don't believe that we should dilute the gravity of war criminality by tossing in Yes-Man politicians. A Senator's guilt is not comparable to someone like Blair, who acts as the de facto Head of State.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

And yet there are some who weren't fooled at all. Or do those representatives and senators also not know how things work inside the beltway? "lol," indeed.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think Hillary Clinton should be guillotined for a multitude of reasons, I just don't believe that we should dilute the gravity of war criminality by tossing in Yes-Man politicians. A Senator's guilt is not comparable to someone like Blair, who acts as the de facto Head of State.

you are right, like with other mid-level nazi politicians the democrats who voted for the iraq war should be barred from serving in public office ever again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

you are right, like with other mid-level nazi politicians the democrats who voted for the iraq war should be barred from serving in public office ever again

And in reality, many of those mid-level Nazis who weren't directly operating the trains to the ovens were secretly recycled back into public service as a bulwark against the Commies.

What they certainly never were was tried as war criminals.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Guys George W. Bush was such a genius, such a skilled bamboozler, that I succumbed to his lies. Vote me for president.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

platzapS posted:

Guys George W. Bush was such a genius, such a skilled bamboozler, that I succumbed to his lies. Vote me for president.

That's a funny idea but not much of it was Dubya himself.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

platzapS posted:

I always love this sentiment when I hear it unironically.

Ok so the GOP is both evil to the point of stupidity AND brilliant in that they fooled the left and the American people for years (decades, millennia, etc.). People who think that way have zero critical analysis skills. Or they have a light dusting of paranoid schizophrenia.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think Obama was the best president we've had in my lifetime. Not really related but I needed somewhere to post it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:shrug: See if your opinion holds over the rest of your lifetime. Not many options to choose from really.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

I always love this sentiment when I hear it unironically.

Ok so the GOP is both evil to the point of stupidity AND brilliant in that they fooled the left and the American people for years (decades, millennia, etc.). People who think that way have zero critical analysis skills. Or they have a light dusting of paranoid schizophrenia.

To be fair, the American people, as a group, are pretty stupid. This was once summarized by our third-most brain-damaged President when he said:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you fool me–I can't get fooled again!"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

I think Obama was the best president we've had in my lifetime. Not really related but I needed somewhere to post it.

You talk real good for a 7 year old.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
I'm basically fine with Hillary having blown with the establishment wind to an important degree, as long as it can be made clear to her that the wind is blowing against the establishment.

On that level, I'm fine with giving her a ton of poo poo. Dudes like TEACHYES remind me, appropriately enough, of the HillaryIs44 crowd, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bernie $ander$

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You talk real good for a 7 year old.

lol you liked literal black death clinton

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nonsense posted:

lol you liked literal black death clinton

lol you think I wasn't talking about Bush :agesilaus:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol you think I wasn't talking about Bush :agesilaus:

bush made the world fear us, and those times were good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nonsense posted:

You're a good man, Nonny.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nonsense posted:

I think what you meant to say is that Bush made the world hate you (the US, not you personally). No one fears the US. Literally no one. The US can crush most armies within a few days/weeks, but they've shown times and times again that they can't hold a country and will eventually withdraw because they sustained 1/100th the casualities of the countries they invade.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
haha remember when Saddam Hussein did everything America asked of him and we still invaded just because

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Can't pillory the Hillary.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

an aggressive war is, in and of itself, a war crime - whether or not you intended for even worse stuff to happen during the war, which is inevitable and why you dont go to war unless its a real loving excellent reason

also she voted for the patriot act lmao

Actually it is not, an aggressive war is a crime against peace, which is considered separate from 'war crimes' under generally accepted principles. It's actually pretty much impossible for a member of congress to commit a war crime in office since you actually have to be doing the fighting (in the military) or in charge of those people (executive branch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

haha remember when Saddam Hussein did everything America asked of him and we still invaded just because

i remember Fox News said rapes in iraq went down multiple percentage points because sadam's sons were murdered by US Marines.

• Locked thread