Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Crimson Harvest posted:

there's fusion generators and nuclear batteries, surely we can figure a way to make one connect to the other's wires
Rechargeable nuclear and antimatter cells: yet more proof (if anyone needed it) that the Eaters really were all that and a bag of chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, don't those things produce legendary creatures? Would a legendary Saad Amus be a valid target for the water ritual?

The answer, for anyone curious: yes, you get a legendary Saad Amus clone (35-40 in every stat, 1000 hp, some random mutations), but no, you can't water ritual with him. He does come with his own vibrokhopesh and jeweled sandals, though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

prisoner of waffles posted:

Free Saad Amus clone with each purchase

:sad: Amus

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Saad-Amus should be a faction.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Saad-Amus should be a faction.

At high enough levels of glimmer every seeker spawns in with like 5 clones of Saad Amus, but usually without his equipment, meaning they're just kind of blank meat shields. Honestly high level glimmer thralls are pretty pathetic once you break 210ish, because it's just dromad merchants for the saltbacks but they aren't very scary, and a lot of astral tabbies which are kinda whatever. I have this one mod from the modjam that adds like, alien spaceships that do literally nothing but they spawn a lot with the seeker thrall groups too. Honestly glimmer 150 was way scarier, way higher chance of something dangerous showing up. You get to 210+ and it's all naked Saads just like in the fairy tale and a whole lot of camels who are just honestly free metamorphic polygel.

Please don't fix this btw the 500 seekers I run into on every new screen is dangerous enough I'm still earning my polygel.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

saad-amus should be part of the bears faction

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

saad-amus should be part of the bears faction

Other way around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Saad Amus is part of the tardigrades faction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FlocksOfMice posted:

At high enough levels of glimmer every seeker spawns in with like 5 clones of Saad Amus, but usually without his equipment, meaning they're just kind of blank meat shields. Honestly high level glimmer thralls are pretty pathetic once you break 210ish, because it's just dromad merchants for the saltbacks but they aren't very scary, and a lot of astral tabbies which are kinda whatever. I have this one mod from the modjam that adds like, alien spaceships that do literally nothing but they spawn a lot with the seeker thrall groups too. Honestly glimmer 150 was way scarier, way higher chance of something dangerous showing up. You get to 210+ and it's all naked Saads just like in the fairy tale and a whole lot of camels who are just honestly free metamorphic polygel.

Please don't fix this btw the 500 seekers I run into on every new screen is dangerous enough I'm still earning my polygel.

what's the glimmer range of high-tier sludges, that's what always kills me when i go for completely unbounded espers

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what's the glimmer range of high-tier sludges, that's what always kills me when i go for completely unbounded espers

gbh I have not yet encountered sludge thralls. They have mental shield so I don't think they can spawn? They can spawn as extradimensionals, but there's a limited pool each playthrough of what you'll encounter from nearby dimensions. This time around my extradimensionals are mostly brown-and-gold merchant guild members looking to steal my ego to trade it far away, and lots of blue two-headed pigs. I don't know what the two-headed pigs' deal is.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 23, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FlocksOfMice posted:

gbh I have not yet encountered sludge thralls. They have mental shield so I don't think they can spawn? They can spawn as extradimensionals, but there's a limited pool each playthrough of what you'll encounter from nearby dimensions. This time around my extradimensionals are mostly brown-and-gold merchant guild members looking to steal my ego to trade it far away, and lots of blue two-headed pigs. I don't know what the two-headed pigs' deal is.

Oh, huh, okay. I must have encountered them as extradimensionals; I guess that save file was just particularly unlucky, then.

Blenderkitty
May 6, 2004

dog dog dog dog dog dog dog
Biscuit Hider
Why is Saad Amus hostile to the player, anyway? Chances are we're on the same side - I wouldn't expect someone so accomplished to be the "shoot first, ask questions later" sort.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Blenderkitty posted:

Why is Saad Amus hostile to the player, anyway? Chances are we're on the same side - I wouldn't expect someone so accomplished to be the "shoot first, ask questions later" sort.

Joking but also maybe serious answer: he has a grudge against you, personally. Remember the rare cryotubes with a clone of the player inside that you can find deep underground - you, or possibly the original you were cloned from, were alive back in Saad Amus’s time, and have a shared history with the Sky Bear.

But that’s just a Game Theory.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Saad Amus is a protagonist in his own game, and you are a piñata full of loot.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
He achieved CHIM and believes that by defeating you, the player, he can be unbound

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
What kind of bear wakes up in a good mood?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I'm still holding out hope that Amus' involvement in the game's story will be fleshed out a lot more eventually. If there's a Ptoh-focussed DLC, that would be the perfect opportunity, considering his role in that entity's imprisonment. And from the lore scraps that can be pieced together right now, Saad Amus also seems a likely contender for the throne of Qud if the Sultanate were ever to be reestablished, which pits him in an interesting (but not necessarily violent) adversarial relationship against the player character. Working together against much greater threats to the world while both separately try to shore up their own legitimacy versus the other, etc.

EDIT: In fact, unfreezing him or not could become a very calculating decision in the future! Do I need him more now than his presence will threaten me later?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He can be sultan all he wants, I just want to invent recipes and befriend crabs.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Gniwu posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Amus' involvement in the game's story will be fleshed out a lot more eventually. If there's a Ptoh-focussed DLC, that would be the perfect opportunity, considering his role in that entity's imprisonment. And from the lore scraps that can be pieced together right now, Saad Amus also seems a likely contender for the throne of Qud if the Sultanate were ever to be reestablished, which pits him in an interesting (but not necessarily violent) adversarial relationship against the player character. Working together against much greater threats to the world while both separately try to shore up their own legitimacy versus the other, etc.

EDIT: In fact, unfreezing him or not could become a very calculating decision in the future! Do I need him more now than his presence will threaten me later?

This would actually be a very interesting interaction with the Bethesda Susa quest; one way of dealing with the Mechanimists could be to release an ancient demigod and convincing him to help you out, but with the drawback that he's absolutely going to be trouble for you later.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Amus can have the earth so long as he recognizes my claim as rightful King of the Moon :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought there was lore that pretty much stated that Saad Amus was a loving lunatic who they kind of pointed at their worst enemies then froze him when they no longer needed him, like Sylvester Stallone

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't think I've seen any lore to that effect, but I confess, I do like this "Saad Amus is the Eater equivalent of the Doomguy" theory

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He's duncan idaho

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

He's duncan idaho

Aren't we all?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought there was lore that pretty much stated that Saad Amus was a loving lunatic who they kind of pointed at their worst enemies then froze him when they no longer needed him, like Sylvester Stallone

Other than the freezing part, that sounds suspiciously like how the Barathrumites are utilizing the player character.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

He's duncan idaho

Because there so many copies, right. But that also applies to Typhon/Pas, who is a whole different vibe.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

FlocksOfMice posted:

Honestly high level glimmer thralls are pretty pathetic once you break 210ish, because it's just dromad merchants for the saltbacks but they aren't very scary, and a lot of astral tabbies which are kinda whatever.

I feel lucky to live in a world where that combination of words makes sense.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gniwu posted:

Other than the freezing part, that sounds suspiciously like how the Barathrumites are utilizing the player character.

I mean they'd definitely freeze you if they could.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The story attached to the Flume-Flier basically describes him as King Arthur: he won dominion of Qud by strength of arms, ruled with wisdom, and was frozen so that he could one day return and liberate his people once again. He was also one of Ptoh's jailers; I don't think he's the same jailer that was given the Amaranthine Prism, but it's possible the real reason he was frozen was because he went insane from Ptoh's influence.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean they'd definitely freeze you if they could.

Maybe that was the intent behind sending you to Bethesda Susa

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I've played some Qud on and off for years but never really stuck with it and learned it. One of the things I have definitely never learned is cooking and how the hell that works. Any advice?

Bear in mind that I regularly do stupid poo poo in this videogame and die for it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

JonBolds posted:

I've played some Qud on and off for years but never really stuck with it and learned it. One of the things I have definitely never learned is cooking and how the hell that works. Any advice?

Bear in mind that I regularly do stupid poo poo in this videogame and die for it.

While I am equally unexperienced in cooking, my understanding is that if you regularly do stupid poo poo in video games and die for it, then cooking is just the thing for you!

Because you can presumably do stupid poo poo with it and die for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JonBolds posted:

I treat it as supplemental mostly, but the skills are still worth getting (the free teacher is in Kyakukya iirc). Just bash together things you have a lot of until you get recipes you like. Lategame xbeard glands give you some potentially quite handy breath weapons.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Cooking is pretty straightforward and easy to learn by messing around, honestly.
  • Get the cooking skill
  • Always mash the “preserve fresh food” button at campfires (it makes your food weightless with no downside)
  • Choose two ingredients to cook with, or three if you have the skill
  • Get a free buff

Each ingredient has its own pool of effects, and they can be either standalone passive effects (like +max hp) or half of a conditional effect (like “every time you take damage, 15% chance that…” or “…one of your status effects is removed at random”). As you get more used to it you can start combining specific ingredients to try and fish for specific effects, but there’s no downsides and common ingredients are basically infinite, so you can just pick stuff and get random buffs without worrying about it too hard.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Additional notes: the Cooking skill can be got from Kyakukya for reputation if you're cool with that, and then Spicer, the 3 food use one, can be got from the Yd Freehold later on the same way.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Cooking is really strong and while it will never be the ONLY thing you can get away with having, cooking basically lets you set yourself up for any situation.

For amateur cooks, you want cider and jerky. This will reliably give you +Quickness and +Health. When you're just starting out, any simple recipe of meat simmered in a cider-based sauce will give you the equivalent of an extra level or two of HP max.

Once you've gotten your carbide chef certification you can try to roll for some better recipes. Lock them down and use them! Spinefruit Jam is a budding chef's best friend.

Spinefruit Jam + Yondercane = % to Teleport away instead of getting hit

Spinefruit Jam + Dawnglider Tail = % to Light things on fire when you get hurt

Spinefruit Jam + Congealed Love = % to Beguile someone when they punch you

Spinefruit Jam + Starapple Jam = A chance to heal every time you get hurt

It's not just about combat, either. Moving on from spinefruits, we find plenty of recipes to help you in your down-time adventuring!

Vinewater Sheaf + Fermented Yuckwheat = Whenever you drink water, 25% chance to be cured of any incubating disease. Any disease. You start feeling sick? You make yourself a bitter medicinal stew and then chug water until you vomit out your dis-ease. No problem at all.

Vinewater Sheaf + Banana = Whenever you drink water, 25% chance to identify all artifacts on the map. No longer will you wonder what merchants have for sale! This snack, best sliced and fried in oil, is a crunchy treat that allows you to make wise purchase decisions at all times!

And it's great for weird cases, too. Trinning lampreys swarming you? Try cooking a meal based around a nullbeard gland. Normality breath! Now you can shut down their regeneration easy! And you know what has a super fast cooldown? Breath powers! Get some ice breath from a sleetbeard and lock every enemy down in ice indefinitely! Is your DV already super high? Want to make it so everyone can only hit you on a crit at best? Congealed Skulk or Vanta Petals are your friend, and combine that with bone meal for extra AV as well. It's a great generic pre-battle safety option!

And none of this is getting into what you can do with your spicer cert, allowing you to add extra effects on top of the if>then interactions the base two ingredients get you. All of these are just the basics--once you learn the cooking effects (https://wiki.cavesofqud.com/wiki/Cooking_effects), you can start putting together recipes that synergize with whatever your build is or solve whatever problem you're having.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

Vinewater Sheaf + Banana = Whenever you drink water, 25% chance to identify all artifacts on the map. No longer will you wonder what merchants have for sale! This snack, best sliced and fried in oil, is a crunchy treat that allows you to make wise purchase decisions at all times!

well THATS a gamechanger!

I legit seldom ever use food bonuses tbh, wasnt aware of the awesome stuff you can do vs just hoarding salves. That'll change next run!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 25, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

JonBolds posted:

It's worth noting that unlike most roguelikes, Qud doesn't have you roll the dice on consumables you find -- I fondly remember an old sci fi RL called Thunderbolt in which you'd find variously colored pills and capsules. You could find ways to identify them, but mostly you were meant to swallow them and see what happened. Most of the time, you died. QUD, by comparison, has very few things like that (though they exist, and they're hilarious). Cooking is purely advantageous.

You'll find ingredients out and about, but it's also important to note that with only a few circumstantial exceptions, raw and processed materials don't provide tangible benefits when consumed as-is. They provide benefits when used in cooking at a campfire or oven.

The least useful but most immediate case for cooking is pure water generation. Learning to cook gives you the ability to preserve raw ingredients. You'll come across various raw items, which are heavy and not terribly valuable, but if you learn cooking then you'll be able to break those down into processed materials, which are weightless and typically multiplicative in terms of their value. If you continue on to learn the harvesting skills, you get a lot more raw material and thus a lot more processed material. Eg, there are jungles full of apple trees, and raw apples are worth practically nothing, but if you have cooking you can turn them into jam, and the value conversion there is absurd.

The most useful case for cooking is realized with full skill investment (which unlike other skill trees is pretty modestly priced and not gated very hard). Using processed ingredients at a campfire will basically create a long-term buff depending on what the ingredients are. Each ingredient has a number of possible effects, most of them end up being pretty intuitive (cooking with mushrooms gives you resistance to fungal infections or a rep boost with the fungus faction, cooking with firebeard gland paste gives you a temporary fire-breathing ability, spiny fruit gives you spines, etc).

At full investment in the skills you will get very pronounced effects, which can make a big difference, especially if you have a good idea of what you're going to encounter as you explore. And whenever you gain a level (or randomly whenever you enter a new map) you choose from a list of three possible effect combinations the next time you cook, and whatever you choose will be saved as a "recipe", thereby allowing you to get those same effects consistently whenever you cook with the same ingredients. This means that as you play, you can plan ahead... some ingredients grant low-level temporary mutations, but if you've already got a listed mutation, the bump in its power is more dramatic.

Another example: A key strat I use is to attempt recipes using mushrooms and healing-themed ingredients. One possible effect combination you can luck into is "after cooking this meal, you can eat a mushroom to remove one randomly chosen negative effect." This is extremely powerful if you know where to find edible mushrooms (Kayuka), because it's pretty rare for multiple combat effects to stack up, so you can quickly counter a lot of pretty nasty enemy abilities (provided you're able to move and eat). More importantly, you can easily cure yourself of infections and fungal attacks as they incubate, or even (iirc) after they've developed into full-blown disease.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 26, 2024

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Really great stuff about cooking everyone, thank you, live and drink, etc. The few key recipes like tech identification are cool stuff. As is the tip about preserving your food, which I'd expect to have some downside or alter how the food works or whatever, but I guess not!

I made slime soup and it made me able to spit slime on people I don't like. Caves of Qud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The basic logic of cooking is that when you use an ingredient, its relationship to the meal buff is a coin flip between being an active trigger event ("when [x] happens") and a benefit ("then [x] also happens"). Using two ingredients, you'll obviously have one as trigger and the other as benefit, randomly determined. With a third ingredient added, there will also be a passive stat boost that's typically a little less powerful. Potential recipe effects can be gamed out in this way, though you're not guaranteed to get a given combo when you cook unless it's from a recipe.

So for example, spine fruit jam is themed around active defense: When you use it in cooking, it manifests either in relation to the Quills mutation or a "deal damage when you take damage" effect. Bananas are themed around identifying artifacts or psychometry. Put them together and you'll see the options like the following:

"When you reflect damage, identify all unknown objects on the map."
"When you identify an artifact, expel Quills as per the mutation at level 9."
"When you identify an artifact, there is a (%) chance that you'll reflect 15% of the next damage you receive."

If you added phase silk, which is phasing-themed, as a third ingredient, your recipes might look like the following:
"When you reflect damage, identify all unknown objects on the map. Gain the Phasing mutation at level 1-2, or increase by 4-6 levels if already acquired."
"Whenever you phase in, identify all unknown objects on the map. Gain the Quills mutation at level 4, or increase by 6-9 levels if already acquired."
"Whenever you identify an artifact, phase out for 15-20 rounds. You reflect 3-5% of all damage taken."

Anecdotally, it seems like the passive benefits which grant temporary mutations are, for some ingredients, relatively unlikely. You'll get Psychometry granted pretty handily cooking with bananas, but for some reason you'll usually go through a lot of trial and error with phase silk before you nail down the mutation. Which makes some ingredients -- invariably, the most expensive ones -- more contextually valuable to some builds and near-useless to others. Very few things in the game grant a phasing effect, so a recipe that triggers on phase-in is useless to most characters.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 26, 2024