Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I really liked my “when you deal electric damage, there’s a 25% chance you jump 3 times in a row, each at +2 range”

Fire arc winders, electricity arcs to multiple targets, 1+ triggers, jump nearer to or further from targets as needed.

Now that I think of it, this could be pretty great for high speed kiting when fighting cherubs, assuming that they don’t have 100% electric resist…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Qud noob here, picked up the game for the first time in several years and I'm having a good time. Tried a random village start and the first quest I got was to go sit on a legendary chair in a nearby settlement. Completed without incident, came back and was rewarded these -- looking them up I think I got really lucky right? How cursed am I to have something terrible happen this run?

edit: I have wings, do they still work when I'm flying?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's a great early game find but not crazy rare or anything. You're probably only medium cursed.

The movespeed buff should apply as long as they're equipped, even if you're flying/swimming/etc.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
That's like a 4/10, you can find Yeshyrkins pretty commonly as low level town rewards besides. Find a pair of Helping Hands or Ninefold Boots or a Hologram Bracelet in the Rust Wells and then you're at a 10/10 you've used up all your luck and are going to die irl.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ok sweet that's reassuring. I see "highest movement speed boots in the game" and get very nervous based on general RL experience. Man I am having a blast just doing procgen dungeon crawl quests around the starting area. Should I actually head to the Grit Gate or is there other "main quest" stuff to do before then? Seems really far away

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FlocksOfMice posted:

That's like a 4/10, you can find Yeshyrkins pretty commonly as low level town rewards besides. Find a pair of Helping Hands or Ninefold Boots or a Hologram Bracelet in the Rust Wells and then you're at a 10/10 you've used up all your luck and are going to die irl.

once found a rhinox maul in the old rustwells in back to back runs

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

goferchan posted:

Ok sweet that's reassuring. I see "highest movement speed boots in the game" and get very nervous based on general RL experience. Man I am having a blast just doing procgen dungeon crawl quests around the starting area. Should I actually head to the Grit Gate or is there other "main quest" stuff to do before then? Seems really far away

You get a really good reward if you do the quest after Grit Gate before level 12, but you're also not likely to survive it that low level if it's your first go around. You get a really good reward if you do it before level 18, and you can probably pull it off before then.

Check out the Stilt if you haven't yet, of course, and Bey Lah.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Went to Grit Gate and underestimated a chaingun turret slapped in a narrow hallway unfortunately, RIP. Looking back I can see why that would be much more dangerous than a musket turret

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been eyeing this game for years and finally picked it up and thanks to the Roleplay mode it's sucked me in like no other roguelike has. I'm at Bethesda Susa for the main quest but Jotun just destroys me. The scoped carbine from the golgotha quest keeps missing it and if I try to melee I get chopped to death too. I'm a level 19 truekin, should I level up more? Combat wise I was trying axes and single weapon fighting. I have something like 15 AV but -15 DV and 150ish hit point. Best melee weapon is a flaming fullerite battle axe from the Raising Indrix quest. The rest of my armor is carbide except for my helmet which is steel

I also lost my backslot to waxflab so I should probably cure that first, I got the book I just need to remember which merchant sold a spray bottle

Nevermind I got past all the trolls, I don't like spoiling myself too much but thank you wiki

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2024

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Found a crysteel ax in a chest at the starting village :whatup:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Chaingun reminds me of the Office shootout in Terminator 2, where the terminator opens fire on the police. I then think do I want to experience the same before stepping in front of a chain gun.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

goferchan posted:

Went to Grit Gate and underestimated a chaingun turret slapped in a narrow hallway unfortunately, RIP. Looking back I can see why that would be much more dangerous than a musket turret

yeah until a certain AV threshold they can be loving terrifying

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

goferchan posted:

Looking back I can see why that would be much more dangerous than a musket turret

A common Qud experience

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Want to try out a Rifle Guy but unless I'm missing something there's no way to start with those skills as a mutant, right? Haven't checked out Truekin at all yet, not opposed to it, but I feel like I'm still working on wrapping my brain around the mutation system. I guess Arconaut is probably my option since I get a +AGI bonus without wasted investment into pistols?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Warden starts with bow and rifle. But it’s also not a big deal to just buy the skill, if you’re planning to focus on guns then the agility shouldn’t be an issue.

Tinkering goes well with guns, there are some nice mods you can put on your stuff and it gives you another avenue to get the high tier guns (and the good batteries to keep them going)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks! And another question, sorry -- any disadvantage to breaking down components into bits with the associated tinkering skill (other than them becoming unsellable)?

And while I'm here I might as well ask the same about food preservation at campfires. Seems like all upside just being able to carry a bunch of weightless food, but maybe that's just your reward for investing in the skill.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

goferchan posted:

Want to try out a Rifle Guy but unless I'm missing something there's no way to start with those skills as a mutant, right? Haven't checked out Truekin at all yet, not opposed to it, but I feel like I'm still working on wrapping my brain around the mutation system. I guess Arconaut is probably my option since I get a +AGI bonus without wasted investment into pistols?

rifle skills aren't real, there's just the entry into the tree and maybe Suppressing Shot and then a bunch of black holes that skill points disappear into that you'll never actually use

maybe if modding guns to be Flaming worked on ammunition it would be a different story

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

Thanks! And another question, sorry -- any disadvantage to breaking down components into bits with the associated tinkering skill (other than them becoming unsellable)?
Nope. Scrap components are only there for breaking down or selling (just break them down). Other items it's a case by case basis, but you're not getting the item back so choose wisely. Some skills/powers/effects also let you learn how to build an item from dismantling it which is nice.

Dismantling things is your only source of bits I think, so get used to doing it. By late game you'll be hunting down the best weapons and artifacts just to get those beautiful 8 bits and make the best stuff.

You may be wondering if there's a reason you have alphabetical bits and numerical bits. Alphabet bits are just base materials (and A is for recharging cells, so by far the most important) in no particular order, but the 1-8 bits directly correlate to rarity.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

rifle skills aren't real, there's just the entry into the tree and maybe Suppressing Shot and then a bunch of black holes that skill points disappear into that you'll never actually use

maybe if modding guns to be Flaming worked on ammunition it would be a different story

Yep you can dip into rifles at your leisure, going all in on the skills isnt really worth it in my experience even if they end up being your main damage dealer. Get suppressing fire and you're probably fine imo. High agility and respect for weapon ranges and you will be ok - tho I mainly do Truekin.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Truekin have an advantage with rifles over mutants, assuming you can find Gun Racks and Giant Hands. A truekin can end up with 4 rifles/heavy weapons at once with those implants. Although such a build will have to dip into pistols for Akimbo to truly benefit from quad-wielding guns. It's a pretty fun way to play, especially if you get treads or another strong move speed boost to help outrun and outmaneuver while you gun your foes down.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shame flamethrower requires a back slot tho.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Shame flamethrower requires a back slot tho.

Oh for sure. Being able to quad-wield flamethrowers would be hilarious. Gun rack taking up a back slot does have some drawbacks.

But on the other hand, quad chain lasers.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What you want is an eigenrifle with beam splitter, phase harmonic, and displacer on it. You'll thank me later once you discover the joy of rearranging the world with every shot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My last build was my first real shot at true kin and I ended up quad wielding beam splitter nanon rifles and also had three sets of nanon gloves. It got a bit silly. Even the Nephilim just sadly waddled in circles trying to grow back the limbs I kept cutting off.

I do hope the Golem gets buffed or expanded in 1.0 because even with following the best builds people put up for it, it's never been anywhere near as good as whatever character I'm using at the time I get it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My last build was my first real shot at true kin and I ended up quad wielding beam splitter nanon rifles and also had three sets of nanon gloves. It got a bit silly. Even the Nephilim just sadly waddled in circles trying to grow back the limbs I kept cutting off.

I do hope the Golem gets buffed or expanded in 1.0 because even with following the best builds people put up for it, it's never been anywhere near as good as whatever character I'm using at the time I get it

Really? Maybe they changed it, but my guy was absolutely cleaning house, last time I played. the old teleport, temporal fugue combo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Rolled a new character with a random town spot, started poking around and found a gibbed truekin corpse in town with a ton of artifacts on him, then realized why he was dead lol -- can towns get raided or something and I just spawned into one?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Assuming the town got feral lah inhabitants spawn, and some faction malarky meant they didn't recognize something else that spawned in town as friendly and started throwing tumbling pods at them?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

the only thing more fun than a town with fields of aloe pyra

Pretty sure my only Qud CTD was setting off one of those

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Flaming tar pits are once again flaming.
  • Terrified creatures no longer charge.
  • Tumbling pods that are cult leaders now grant XP if they explode during combat.
  • You can now select stacks of items when donating books to Sheba or throwing artifacts down the Sacred Well.
  • You can now rename yourself in your original body or one your mind is stranded within.
  • The name for your saved game is now updated when you take a new name via stranded mind or otherwise.
  • Stilt Day Stilt pigs no longer open their pens.
  • Conjoined girshlings are now considered plural.
  • If you're standing next to friendly creature, you can use their culture when renaming your companions.
  • Clarified the popup message when you can't autoexplore the full map due to unusually dark darkness.
  • Goggles are now referred to in "pairs" rather than sets".
  • Gave thistle pitches a sell value.
  • Made Asphodel's description respect dynamic pronouns.
  • Added info about using the Alt overlay to the manual.
  • Fixed a bug that caused a popup message when one of your companions incurred extradimensional disappointment.
  • Fixed a bug that caused intact cryochambers to spawn on stair landings.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Neelahind to say the well has been poisoned by a previous accusation when the evidence did not match the culprit.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the 'Jeweled Dusk' achievement to unlock when you were not the target of the gemming attack.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the waking dreamers to always start one experience point away from leveling up.
  • Fixed a bug that caused temporary merchants to drop non-temporary wares on death.
  • Fixed a bug that caused 'Petals on the Wind' to be unfinishable if you had already started 'Find Eskhind'.
  • Fixed a bug that caused 'The Earl of Omonporch' delegates to spawn with and leave behind companions.

No feature friday next week, and then beta of the new UI the week of May10th!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
so much for pig rights

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
look if you want pig rights grow some pig hands man

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

so excited for the new ui

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao I fell in love with the apple farmer's daughter.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

goferchan posted:

The first time this happened I proselytized her and the journal said "You convinced Iruqas to join you, but Iruqas didn't love you, so what did it matter?" and I was like,

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got a hoversled but it didn't update my carrying capacity. I read the description of it on the wiki and I should be able to carry 100 more pounds? Or am I misunderstanding what it does?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Did you equip it in your floating nearby slot? The hoversled doesn’t technically raise your max carry capacity the way a backpack does. It weighs -75 when equipped, so it lowers your current weight instead.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

goferchan posted:

This happened to me in one of my first games, except it was just a statue of her. I was like drat boi you are easy

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

FlocksOfMice posted:

The first time this happened I proselytized her and the journal said "You convinced Iruqas to join you, but Iruqas didn't love you, so what did it matter?" and I was like,
You reverse planescape tormented yourself

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

If you find the book 'Artless Beauty' it's worth a read to find out more about your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Unormal posted:

look if you want pig rights grow some pig hands man

this is pure pig lefts erasure