Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Solkanar512 posted:

I know the OP mentioned IEEE, but are there any others out there covering science/technology/mathematics/engineering?

And here's one from left field - Archeology. There are some decent articles in Smithsonian and National Geographic, but it's fascinating to see this thread and find out about the really good stuff, you know?

Both Science and Nature have sections meant for a more general audience, and they both attract the most groundbreaking research. Nature skews slightly more to life sciences, but if it's a big enough, any scientific paper can be published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I had never read New York Review of Books before I saw this thread. I grabbed an issue yesterday and haven't put it down. Genuinely well-put-together periodical with some great authors.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jacobin has a new issue coming out so up until Tuesday (13 October) they're offering copies of their Civil War issue for free (plus five bucks for shipping).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What kind of ideological bent does Foreign Affairs have? I know Foreign Policy is a neocon shitrag founded by Sam Huntington, I'm assuming FA is more centrist?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

icantfindaname posted:

What kind of ideological bent does Foreign Affairs have? I know Foreign Policy is a neocon shitrag founded by Sam Huntington, I'm assuming FA is more centrist?

I'd say in a pointillist way, it arrives at a certain kind of Washingtonian centrism, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to think of it like that. Foreign Affairs is published by the Council on Foreign Relations, which takes a ton of former high-level diplomats and international figures as research fellows and funds studies on international relations. In keeping with that, it publishes pieces from diplomats, policy-makers, and scholars with an eye toward more serious readership than something like Foreign Policy gets, which might fall on any point in a fairly wide ideological spectrum.

Some examples ~

The mainline liberal Anne-Marie Slaughter on American power in the context of international communication networks. She's now head of the New America Foundation, and she contributed a fantastic and pointed critique of Henry Kissinger's latest book for The New Republic last year.

Speaking of whom, here is Henry Kissinger's extensive list of contributions to Foreign Affairs.

Then there's Jessica T. Matthews on the nation-state's decline amid growing supranational power (this was in 1997 when the EU seemed strong). Matthews headed the Carnegie Endowment for Peace for a long time, and has been popping up in the NY Review to defend the Iran Deal.

Neo-cons Robert Kagan and even Paul Wolfowitz himself have been published (though Wolfowitz not since 1994).

On the other hand, the journal has published Keith Gessen's workon Russia and Ukraine. Gessen is one of the founders of n+1 and, accordingly, is a leftwinger.

There there is probably the prototypical Foreign Affairs author, George Kennan, who basically prescribed "Containment" in FA and kept writing through the 1980s.

I'm probably going to let my London Review of Books sub die this year and fill the extra hours with Foreign Affairs. Even if there's the occasional Marco Rubio policy position thrown in the mix, it's good poo poo. I read enough lefty stuff that a bit of Establishment Wisdom won't kill me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Times has a good article on Playboy and the changes there (they announced last week the magazine wouldn't publish nudity any more).

Playboy used to have fantastic interviews. Longform compiled some of the best ones here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chris Huges is selling The New Republic.

In December 2014, Hughes instigated a mass-walkout of employees shortly after the magazine's 100th anniversary gala (an event that featured a keynote address from Bill Clinton. The walkout caused a thousand hot-takes in the media. Leftists celebrated the comeuppance of an outlet that often served as a platform for "liberal" justifications of conservative policies, laced with anti-black and anti-Arab animus.

Old guard TNR contributors like Jonathan Chait melted down and produced a slurry of eulogies, a vast weeping and gnashing of teeth. Partially, the break came from Chris Hughes's appointee "CEO," Guy Vidra, who came off sounding like a Silicon Valley dweeb (he literally said "Let's break poo poo!" and described his desire to create a "vertically integrated digita media company" and habitually referred to the magazine as a "brand") which did not play well at a magazine renowned for its geriatric cranks. Basically, a the existing staff of a publication with a heavy emphasis on diehard cultural elitism (see - "Designated Haters,"N+1's 2004 essay on TNR's back-of-the-book cultural section during Pax Wieseltier)did not want to become Buzzfeed. To an extent, their fears were justified - TNR has put out some complete trash this past year, marketed with hideous clickbait headline construction and calculated to capture the liberal outrage brigade typified by Salon readership -

For his part, Chris Hughes made the following case in a Washington Post op-ed directly following the walkout:

Chris Hughes posted:

At the heart of the conflict of the past few days is a divergent view on how the New Republic — and journalism more broadly — will survive. In one view, it is a “public trust” and not a business. It is something greater than a commercial enterprise, ineffable, an ideal that cannot be touched. Financially, it would be a charity. There is much experimentation in nonprofit journalism – ProPublica and the Texas Tribune are proving the model — and that may be the right path for certain institutions. At the New Republic, I believe we owe it to ourselves and to this institution to aim to become a sustainable business and not position ourselves to rely on the largesse of an unpredictable few. Our success is not guaranteed, but I think it’s critical to try.

He brought in Gabriel Snyder, a Gawker Media alumnus, as Editor-in-Chief with a mandate to pull in a younger, more diverse, more digitally-savvy writing stable. He more or less succeeded in this. Regular contributors now include the left-wing Catholic writer Elizabeth Bruenig, Jamil Smith, Bijan Stephen, and ubiquitous Twitter personality Jeet Heer ~ in its former incarnation as a boys' club for Ivy League liberals, these voices (and faces) stand out. They've contributed a lot of good stuff, but recent issues have had some loving snoozer essays ("Is Confessional Writing Feminist?", Jeet Heer jacking off to comic books, idiot Malcolm Harris from The New Inquiry). All in all, it was an okay year and I enjoyed some of the issues that they released.

Some highlights -

"A Liberator, but Never Free" on the letters from an Army Doctor present at the liberation of Dachau, and the brutality the experience inculcated.

Lauren Sandler on paid leave.

Elizabeth Bruenig dismantling the David Brooks school of thought regarding poverty.

Jamil Smith on the NFL in the concussion era.

All told, it's been a concerted effort to amplify voices more reflective of the modern liberal coalition's demographic realities, an unambiguously good thing.

Unfortunately, it has not paid off. Traffic is down 38%. From the linked article,

The Wall Street Journal posted:

A person familiar with the matter said Mr. Hughes had already begun preliminary talks with a variety of potential buyers, including larger media companies and digital startups.

One scenario being explored would be to sell the magazine to a philanthropist who would transform it into a nonprofit.

In a meeting with staff Monday, Mr. Hughes said he had no intention of laying anyone off and said business would proceed as normal until a new owner was found.

Mr. Foer—whose departure, in part, triggered the staff exodus a year ago—warned against interpreting Mr. Hughes’ move to sell as a sign that the magazine couldn't survive.

“The New Republic has spent 100 years cheating death. There have been plenty of times in the past when it appeared doomed, then somehow skated to safety. Maybe it will again,” he said in an email. “There are still good stewards in the world and there are ideas-driven magazines that make a difference.”

As a subscriber, I sincerely hope a philanthropist takes it over. Ideological capture is supremely important, and institutions like the New Republic play an unmatched role in making political-policy arguments for the advancement of liberal ideas. My biggest issue with the new leadership has been an issue with the contemporary liberal media - a tendency toward minutiae, toward navel-gazing. The series on paid leave showed the promise of what a demographically representative, serious and focused magazine could offer - it was a stern policy overview with a realistic assessment of political limitations and opportunities, focused on an issue of critical importance to a historically marginalized group. More of that, less loving clickbait.

In addition, I had hoped in the era of "reckoning" with TNR's past would include reflection on foreign policy. Jeet Heer penned a long essay in the inaugural Snyder-edited issue on the magazine's legacy on race (spoiler: they published a ton of racist poo poo when Marty Peretz owned it and continued to employ Leon Wieseltier until December 2014) in an attempt to address exorcise that element of the institution's past. No such self-condemnation occurred with respect to the magazine's history of warmongering. I linked to this in the OP, but Anne-Marie's Slaughter intensely critical evaluation of Henry Kissinger's World Order was, to me, a firm expression of liberal realism and I had hoped for similar pieces. Instead, it seems that TNR has all but abandoned the realm of foreign policy thought, after years as the foremost outlet for "liberal interventionism" (a set of foreign policy assumptions that I consider deplorable).

So, we'll see what happens next. If you're curious, Chris Hughes has a post up on Medium detailing his decision to sell.

Chris Hughes posted:

The unanswered question for The New Republic remains: can it find a sustainable business model that will power its journalism in the decades to come? There are bright signs on the horizon: Vox, Vice, the Texas Tribune, Buzzfeed, ProPublica, and Mic embody a new generation of promising organizations — some for-profit, others non-profit — that have put serious, high-quality journalism at the core of their identities. The New York Times, The Atlantic, and other traditional outlets seem to have found business models that work for them. I hope that this institution will one day be part of that list. To get there The New Republic needs a new vision that only a new owner can bring.

In other news, here's an even-tempered analysis of the BDS movement from Bruce Robbins in the current issue of n+1. If you're in the New York City area, the Issue 24 launch party will be Friday, January 15th at Signal in Brooklyn.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'd propose adding Mother Jones or Nat Geo (bought by Murdoch, I'm sure we'll hate it soon enough :() to the OP! I don't know of any evergreen articles on either, so you guys get some from the front page and my inbox!

Mother Jones

We're Losing Tens of Thousands of Black Teachers. Here's Why That's Bad for Everyone.

Bay Area Police Sex Scandal Keeps Getting Weirder

Trump Just Said He Wouldn't Spy on Americans. Here Are 4 Times He Vowed to Do So.

National Geographic

Stingrays Chew? Who Knew?

Is the West's Wild Horse Crisis So Bad Only Euthanasia Can Fix It?

Unlikely Tip Leads to Discovery of Historic Shipwreck

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I used to love National Geographic. This article on Anson Wong, the "kingpin" of the Asian trade in illegal wildlife (endangered species, etc) is one of my all-time favorites. I remember a few years ago I posted it to Crosstalk, the old Gawker forum, years ago and someone recommended Peter Lauger's excellent The Dangerous World of Butterflies in reply.

How has Nat Geo been since the Murdoch takeover? I figured it got dumbed down but haven't picked one up in a couple years.

There's a new magazine called Scalawag based in Atlanta and focused on Southern topics. So far I've been really impressed with what I've read online, that's probably gonna be my next sub.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Foreign Policy has everything. There'll be articles you agree with and articles you don't. I wouldn't say there's an ideological bent. They've got a pretty diverse crowd of contributors.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Perry Anderson is probably the most prominent foreign policy analyst writing from a left wing perspective, his main publication is the New Left Review and he's also published frequently in the London Review of Books.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I have a subscription to the Nat Geo magazine, I haven't noticed anything awry. The consensus in news seems to be that it was the Nat Geo TV station that was actually keeping the place afloat. I googled up some articles about it, I haven't read any smoking gun that suggests to me that the place has been significantly Fox Newsed up.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-17/inside-national-geographic-s-hbo-inspired-murdoch-makeover
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/9/1447823/-I-now-know-why-Rupert-Murdoch-bought-National-Geographic
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/14/how-fox-ate-national-geographic

DailyKos thinks there is a nebulous climate change skeptic plot.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Interesting. The Times Literary Supplement is part of the broad Murdoch empire and remains a very prestigious review. I honestly never subscribed to it though so can't really comment on whether quality has remained even.

I wouldn't mind a sub to The New Criterion, the conservative culture and politics quarterly. Some of their arts criticism is quite good and they post a lot of information on New York gallery openings, museum exhibits, and plays. I don't know if I can justify giving them any money though since they still provide a platform to skull-measures like Charles F Murray (he was the guest of honor at their end of year fundraiser last year). Might be the price of ~*diverse worldviews*~ I guess.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Are any goons subscribed to Telos? I'm writing my master's thesis on some stuff related to its early years. Some of the essays came up in my research and are pretty interesting sources, and its contemporary stuff is still really well done and varied. It's a little bit niche but it's also totally independent from any kind of university funding, so it publishes some atypical, interesting stuff from time to time.

http://www.telospress.com/about-telos/

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 16, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
N+1 has a reading at the ACE Hotel in Manhattan this Tuesday and their issue 26 launch party is a week from today in Brooklyn, for any New Yorker Goons.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Does anybody subscribe to First Things? I'm not Christian but I enjoy some of their essays online.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chronicle of Higher Education put out a profile on the writers behind the "little magazines" - Jacobin, n+1, Dissent, etc., and how the declining fortunes of academia forced a lot of young writers into the more improvisational world of freelance cultural criticism / publishing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
25% off n+1 today for the AWP sale. Some other journals are probably doing them, too - it's a big conference for the industry.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yes hurray! Welcome back thread!

On your recommendation I (finally) subbed to

N+1
The American prospect
The Point

And both London and New York Review of books

Everyone get you read on, it's a great way to slow down before bed.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

GalacticAcid posted:

I realize that I'm clobbering a dead horse here but you will enjoy this Ingrid Rowland review of "The Priest, the Prince, and the Pasha" about the discovery and display of some seminal Egyptian artifacts, notably the "Boston Green Head." This essay is also from the September 24th issue of the NY Review.

The head in question.

Anyway a friend of mine in the field recommends the American Journal of Archaeology or the more specific Journal of Roman Archaeology - note that I can't personally vouch for either.

I also recommend American Antiquity and Latin American Antiquity, for New World archaeology, and Kiva for the Southwestern United States in particular. And for a more general audience oriented, but still quite rigorous publications, Kmt is a good one for Egyptology, and American Archaeology is a fairly decent magazine. For more general theory and practice, Advances in Archaeological Practice is also good and I've found the articles I've read in the Journal of Archaeological Science to be good, with a focus on major advances in the field from statistical testing to new dating methods, new applications of physics to the field, computer modeling etc.

For regional/cultural zone stuff, I really only know the big journals in my region (Southwestern US) and a bit of the English language Mesoamerican literature, so I am not much help if you want the good classicist periodicals or any other Old World stuff.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

That rocks, how has The Point been? I haven't read it in a while

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone read the Baffler? I subscribed a couple issues ago and I really enjoy it. The politics are pretty left and snarky but the material is often highbrow. Here's an article from a couple issues ago with their take on Hamilton the play that is a good representative: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/father-worship and another recent one on new atheists by the eminently readable Sam Kriss: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/degrasse-tyson-kriss-atheists

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Baffler is good, I've leafed through their past couple issues at my friend's apartment. Really liked this essay about Slack.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vorebane posted:

I'd propose adding Mother Jones or Nat Geo (bought by Murdoch, I'm sure we'll hate it soon enough :() to the OP! I don't know of any evergreen articles on either, so you guys get some from the front page and my inbox!

My entire experience with Mother Jones is the absolute flood of their political articles that end up on reddit; which read like the liberal version of Fox News. I automatically skip them these days.

I didn't even realize they were a periodical; I just assumed they were another online news site. How is their non-political content?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Mother Jones started as a hardcore muckraking magazine and still does have a respected investigative wing -- their investigation into private prisons last summer was a huge deal and considered a major success. I also noticed they hired Nathalie Baptiste recently who I like quite a bit. She was at the American Prospect previously.

Unfortunately their online content is so vapid and terrible that I'm skeptical of any links from them. Kevin Drum and Ben Dreyfuss are two of the shittiest hacks out there and they've both been at MJ for a long time. I haven't read through a physical issue in a really long while.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

That rocks, how has The Point been? I haven't read it in a while

My first issue comes this week :( sorry but I'll check in after, the "title" or theme for the issue is "What Is America For?" Which is cool and good.

I like the baffler a lot I might sub the too.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hey, right on cue - Chapo Trap House interviewed Shane Buaer of Mother Jones, the reporter behind both the private prison investigation and a recent undercover stint in a border militia.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The excellent Texas Monthly has a new editor who apparently plans to reorient the publication around "lifestyle" articles according to the Columbia Journalism Review. This is bad news!

Here's the Longform.org Texas Monthly archive - tons of good stuff in there.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Hey folks, I like reading The Economist for world news on the weekly but I was wondering if you lot had any recommendations for periodicals with a similar focus on world news?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

whomupclicklike posted:

Hey folks, I like reading The Economist for world news on the weekly but I was wondering if you lot had any recommendations for periodicals with a similar focus on world news?

If your French is any good, Jeune Afrique is a great, long-running independent weekly that coves most of Africa. Most of the articles it covers you really won't find anywhere else. The Economist is unfortunately the only English-language professional news source I can think of that is aware there are newsworthy/interesting events regularly happening outside North America, Europe, the Middle East, and east Asia.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ooooh it came it came!

I've taken a Luddite stand on the new periodicals I've subbed to, refusing to read them online and reserving print copies for Before Bed winding down.

Will report back once I've had I dunno 5 evenings to digest this, the 13th issue of The Point.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
hell yeah dude

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

This month's Current Affairs has a good article criticizing pop social science. I think a lot of it also applies to the TED-talk phenomenon of overstating the effect of some simplified point.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Happy new Economist Thursday folks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ol Standard Retard posted:

ooooh it came it came!

I've taken a Luddite stand on the new periodicals I've subbed to, refusing to read them online and reserving print copies for Before Bed winding down.

Will report back once I've had I dunno 5 evenings to digest this, the 13th issue of The Point.

Reporting:

I was immediately hooked and may be biased because the first two essays were about A) Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum where I spent a large potion of my childhood summers and B) North Carolina where I went to school and my parents now live. My family has roots in Chicago as well so pretty neat to get some local content, all around felt very personally connected and super pleased that I decided to subscribe.

The theme fit the format, it presented a pretty good blend of cultural and political content, a bit light on analysis and critique (I'm a scientist and fascinated by hard theory and examination) but deep enough and actually a bit more literary/poetic than I was expecting. you can tell that The Point is still a young endeavor, as the contributor list and content still reads a little bit like flexing the staff's personal connections rather than soliciting submissions and curating them, but outside of one particularly navelgazey piece and an interview that floated off into disconnected scholarly minutiae, all the articles were enjoyable.

Worth it, 8/10 happy I dug in on your recommendation GalacticAcid.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sounds awesome - and reminds me that I still need to do an effortpost on regional publications. I'll try to do that this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bob Silvers, the editor of the New York Review of Books, has died.

See the obituaries for him in the New York Review and also at the New Republic.

• Locked thread