Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Silver2195 posted:

lol

It actually surprised me to read this article because I had previously associated worries about technological stagnation with the far right. Still, just because anarchists and neoreactionaries worry about it doesn't mean it isn't a real problem. Does anyone know of some good discussions of technological stagnation (It is real? If so, what causes it?) by people with some scientific credentials?

I have to admit, as a leftie who likes Graeber, I think he's really off base with this one. The issue is not too few publications, but too many.
http://blogs.nature.com/news/2014/05/global-scientific-output-doubles-every-nine-years.html

The biological sciences are going through a new golden age and the fact that he dismisses the importance of the Human Genome Project with a single sentence shows a profound ignorance of the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I was just thinking of how I need to describe to a periodical now that I have an income sufficient to afford it. What would people here suggest between the New Yorker and the NY Review of Books? I've read a lot of the New Yorker over the years, and much less of NYRB, but am very open to it, and have liked what I've read.

I've had a subscription to the NYRB for a couple months now and consider it possibly one of the best purchases of my life. Even when I disagree with a reviewer's point of view I find their arguments compelling.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

GalacticAcid posted:

Highly agree. The September 24th issue I thought was astoundingly good, although I think Timothy Snyder is full of poo poo. Jessica Matthews on American foreign policy, James Surowiecki on Stiglitz, RJW Evans on the building of state terror apparatuses between the French Revolution and 1848, and what I have to assume was Oliver Sacks's last essay were all excellent.

The NY Review of Books doesn't publish fiction, unlike The New Yorker. It comes fortnightly, whereas The New Yorker comes monthly. Personally, I think the quality standard is more exacting in the NY Review - The New Yorker is a little more hit-or-miss in my opinion. The NY Review also doesn't really do humor of any kind. It does publish excellent poetry, probably my favorite regular selection since Henri Cole left The New Republic.

I haven't read the whole issue yet, but the article on Mandate-era Jewish extremism was extremely interesting.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/sep/24/jewish-terrorists/

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Solkanar512 posted:

I know the OP mentioned IEEE, but are there any others out there covering science/technology/mathematics/engineering?

And here's one from left field - Archeology. There are some decent articles in Smithsonian and National Geographic, but it's fascinating to see this thread and find out about the really good stuff, you know?

Both Science and Nature have sections meant for a more general audience, and they both attract the most groundbreaking research. Nature skews slightly more to life sciences, but if it's a big enough, any scientific paper can be published.

• Locked thread