Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
bookmarking the poo poo out of this thread, great idea OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yes hurray! Welcome back thread!

On your recommendation I (finally) subbed to

N+1
The American prospect
The Point

And both London and New York Review of books

Everyone get you read on, it's a great way to slow down before bed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

That rocks, how has The Point been? I haven't read it in a while

My first issue comes this week :( sorry but I'll check in after, the "title" or theme for the issue is "What Is America For?" Which is cool and good.

I like the baffler a lot I might sub the too.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ooooh it came it came!

I've taken a Luddite stand on the new periodicals I've subbed to, refusing to read them online and reserving print copies for Before Bed winding down.

Will report back once I've had I dunno 5 evenings to digest this, the 13th issue of The Point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ol Standard Retard posted:

ooooh it came it came!

I've taken a Luddite stand on the new periodicals I've subbed to, refusing to read them online and reserving print copies for Before Bed winding down.

Will report back once I've had I dunno 5 evenings to digest this, the 13th issue of The Point.

Reporting:

I was immediately hooked and may be biased because the first two essays were about A) Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum where I spent a large potion of my childhood summers and B) North Carolina where I went to school and my parents now live. My family has roots in Chicago as well so pretty neat to get some local content, all around felt very personally connected and super pleased that I decided to subscribe.

The theme fit the format, it presented a pretty good blend of cultural and political content, a bit light on analysis and critique (I'm a scientist and fascinated by hard theory and examination) but deep enough and actually a bit more literary/poetic than I was expecting. you can tell that The Point is still a young endeavor, as the contributor list and content still reads a little bit like flexing the staff's personal connections rather than soliciting submissions and curating them, but outside of one particularly navelgazey piece and an interview that floated off into disconnected scholarly minutiae, all the articles were enjoyable.

Worth it, 8/10 happy I dug in on your recommendation GalacticAcid.

• Locked thread