Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

GalacticAcid posted:

I realize that I'm clobbering a dead horse here but you will enjoy this Ingrid Rowland review of "The Priest, the Prince, and the Pasha" about the discovery and display of some seminal Egyptian artifacts, notably the "Boston Green Head." This essay is also from the September 24th issue of the NY Review.

The head in question.

Anyway a friend of mine in the field recommends the American Journal of Archaeology or the more specific Journal of Roman Archaeology - note that I can't personally vouch for either.

I also recommend American Antiquity and Latin American Antiquity, for New World archaeology, and Kiva for the Southwestern United States in particular. And for a more general audience oriented, but still quite rigorous publications, Kmt is a good one for Egyptology, and American Archaeology is a fairly decent magazine. For more general theory and practice, Advances in Archaeological Practice is also good and I've found the articles I've read in the Journal of Archaeological Science to be good, with a focus on major advances in the field from statistical testing to new dating methods, new applications of physics to the field, computer modeling etc.

For regional/cultural zone stuff, I really only know the big journals in my region (Southwestern US) and a bit of the English language Mesoamerican literature, so I am not much help if you want the good classicist periodicals or any other Old World stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread