Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Pittsburgh, like 14 other cities, plays Incorrect Baseball where the crowd is forced to watch pitchers pee their pants and hope to pull a walk.

The Pittsburgh Pirates are one of the oldest baseball clubs at 129 years old. Modern baseball is about 112 years old (consolidation of MLB). The DH rule is 45 years old. I'd say the DH is incorrect baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what are some other movies and video games in which pittsburgh gets destroyed? having trouble finding them, it doesn't get targeted as much as famous, beautiful cities that would be missed

Apr 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

what are some other movies and video games in which pittsburgh gets destroyed? having trouble finding them, it doesn't get targeted as much as famous, beautiful cities that would be missed

Pittsburgh is both famous and beautiful.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

There are a lot of fat awkward people with beards in Pittsburgh, yes.

They've leaked into good cities like Baltimore; the Pittsburgh dysphoria and subsequent migrant problem is real and I wish our fair minded governor would build a wall

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Citizen Tayne posted:

There are a lot of fat awkward people with beards in Pittsburgh, yes.

It is also beloved by weirdos even though the good people and good times are long gone.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are one of the oldest baseball clubs at 129 years old. Modern baseball is about 112 years old (consolidation of MLB). The DH rule is 45 years old. I'd say the DH is incorrect baseball.

DH is some pony league poo poo. the pirates don't play it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh is both famous and beautiful.

true, I hear tons of people tell me how great pittsburgh looks in a rearview mirror

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

DH is some pony league poo poo. the pirates don't play it.

Francisco Liriano hits home runs and is a legit pitching ace. What a dreamboat.

Apr 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

true, I hear tons of people tell me how great it looks in a rearview mirror

No you don't. No one has ever told you that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I do try to avoid talking about pittsburgh in polite company but others are just so relieved about it

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh is home to the world's most beautiful education building, the Cathedral of Learning.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh is home to the world's most beautiful education building, the Cathedral of Learning.

A literal ivory tower full of eggheads. It's poo poo, like Pittsburgh.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hillman Library, Hunt Library, and CLP-Main are all within a ten minute walking radius. It's an incredible repository of books and learning.

Apr 7, 2003

The Penguins were hot garbage for most of the season and are somehow now in second place in their division and fifth place in the entire NHL.

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Hillman Library, Hunt Library, and CLP-Main are all within a ten minute walking radius. It's an incredible repository of books and learning.

Also the O.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
And Uncle Sam's, which I'm craving

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i do not think the pirates will be good this season. have we talked about the pirates yet?

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

And Uncle Sam's, which I'm craving

I'm working from home today.

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

i do not think the pirates will be good this season. have we talked about the pirates yet?

Not yet. Only 14 teams in the history of MLB have ever made the playoffs four times in a row. I'm hoping the Buccos can pull it off.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Penguins were hot garbage for most of the season and are somehow now in second place in their division and fifth place in the entire NHL.

they got a superhot wilkes-barre injection. who the gently caress knew

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Not yet. Only 14 teams in the history of MLB have ever made the playoffs four times in a row. I'm hoping the Buccos can pull it off.

neal huntington is one of the best GMs in the league.

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

neal huntington is one of the best GMs in the league.

Everyone laughed so hard in 2012 when Huntington said that he had the best coaching team in the league.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Everyone laughed so hard in 2012 when Huntington said that he had the best coaching team in the league.

every interview with ray searage is fascinating

Apr 7, 2003

He said during a game interview last year that he's like a dad with 14 kids, he's a pretty cool guy. I was afraid that losing Benedict would gently caress up our game, but Nicasio is evidence otherwise.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nice hdr

i've been inside the cathedral of learning

the ground floor definitely looks cool, but the rest of it is old as poo poo and dilapidated, just like the rest of pittsburgh

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

nice hdr

i've been inside the cathedral of learning

the ground floor definitely looks cool, but the rest of it is old as poo poo and dilapidated, just like the rest of pittsburgh

"I wonder why this city that was laid out in the 1700s looks old!" - a dumbass

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

"I wonder why this city that was laid out in the 1700s looks old!" - a dumbass

old as in not maintained classrooms with falling apart furnishing, dirty windows, etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
facilities for smart people in pittsburgh don't see a lot of use anyway

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

old as in not maintained classrooms with falling apart furnishing, dirty windows, etc

University of Pittsburgh is the most expensive public university in the US, I can't imagine why they wouldn't maintain their buildings. I think you're just making things up to be a contrarian.

Apr 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

facilities for smart people in pittsburgh don't see a lot of use anyway

Pittsburgh is one of the best-educated cities in America.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm going to try to go to pittsburgh next year for the flyers vs penguins outdoor game. i hope it is a good time for all with no hard feelings no matter who is the victor, because it at least wasn't at beaver stadium :)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

University of Pittsburgh is the most expensive public university in the US, I can't imagine why they wouldn't maintain their buildings. I think you're just making things up to be a contrarian.

the university of pittsburgh is not a public university as its administration is not accountable by the public in any way shape or form

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i'm going to try to go to pittsburgh next year for the flyers vs penguins outdoor game. i hope it is a good time for all with no hard feelings no matter who is the victor, because it at least wasn't at beaver stadium :)

My company heavily sponsors the Penguins and I get free tickets to the game if I agree to stand at the entrance and hand out promotional poo poo and programs for an hour. That said, to hell with that.

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

the university of pittsburgh is not a public university as its administration is not accountable by the public in any way shape or form

Ah, yeah, that's right, Joe Schmoe can't just call the chancellor to yell at him like they can the chancellor of the University of California system.

University of Pittsburgh is the definition of a public university; it's a land grant university that receives funding from the state. PSU and Pitt are public universities and the only people who say otherwise are people who want to pretend they went to a private university.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ah, yeah, that's right, Joe Schmoe can't just call the chancellor to yell at him like they can the chancellor of the University of California system.

University of Pittsburgh is the definition of a public university; it's a land grant university that receives funding from the state. PSU and Pitt are public universities and the only people who say otherwise are people who want to pretend they went to a private university.

only someone who lives in pittsburgh is incapable of grasping the differences between funding and accountability with public money

i bet you think publicly run prisons are exactly the same as privately ones

we should privatize the pittsburgh police department

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mishaq posted:

only someone who lives in pittsburgh is incapable of grasping the differences between funding and accountability with public money

that's a good idea, the most accurate portrayal of a privatized police department (robocop) was filmed partly in pittsburgh. at a disused steel mill, because they got tired of looking for something in the area that wasn't one

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

Name a public university system that's accountable to the public.

Your prison system analogy is steaming poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Name a public university system that's accountable to the public.

Your prison system analogy is steaming poo poo.

public systems have their chancellors appointed by their states' respective governors, who are directly elected by the people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pitt is not a land-grand university at all though. It receives state funding but is not administered by the state itself, unlike Penn State. That said, given that it depends on state funds, the state can and does influence operations.

But yes, it's a public school.

• Locked thread