Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my wife and i live and work in pittsburgh and we like it :)

i am glad that local grocery stores figured out that they can sell 6-packs of good beer since they sell enough hot food to qualify as restaurants, and this is a relatively recent development

pittsburgh is good but i strongly dislike PA liquor laws, and i turned 21 in cleveladn so got used to buying beer everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
outside of bars (which unsurprisingly add a decent markup), it is very difficult to buy beer in quantities less than a case where i grew up and my parents live

makes it difficult to try something new or have some variety except for pre-done mix packs from breweries that do that, i would quite often think "hmm i like that beer but not enough to buy 24 of them at a time, i could go for a 6- or 4-pack but not more than that", and then i would just decide on something else

pittsburgh is nice with this but a lot of other areas are still stuck with "24-pack or nothing, only from designated beer distributors"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
current pittsburgh status: sprinkled a bit, but pretty nice outside now, been seeing multiple groups of [1 or 2 parents, presumably prospective student visiting this campus, and optional younger sibling(s)] wandering around aimlessly

hope u enjoy the update :)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

graph posted:

it's cool you ended up there. pittsburgh is a good place to be. keep it rust belt

yeah i cant believe i got this job. it was very lucky too, because my wife is from cleveland, and we met in my last year of undergrad there (she was a junior) and then she got a job in pittsburgh after graudation and we did long-distance for a while, so for about 4 years we were living closer to each others parents than our own families

then a guy i knew from grad school, who was in this group, recommended me to the PI and i interviewed here and everything worked out perfectly

we have a great deal on an apartment too, and are going to stay here for as long as we live in pittsburgh, but the prices of the new apartments everywhere are kind of ridiculous

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
upmc is now gradually raising its minimum wage to $15/hr, which seems like it might actually manage to simply help working people and not inflate the housing market, unlike the salaries from google et al

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

i grew up 80 mi SE of pittsburgh in somerset, and i hear there's a restaurant called conflict kitchen in pburgh that rotates their menu every few months and always does cuisine from countries we have had military action against. is it any good?

yeah, its good, i ate there a few weeks ago and just walked by it today

current cuisine is iranian

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
some friends of mine are looking for houses in pittsburgh and not having a very easy time of it, they seem to have unrealistic expectations for price given where they want to live and be able to walk to things

though they are currently paying (i think) $1300/month for a 2-bedroom, and maybe another $100 for two off-street parking spaces, so i have no loving clue how they could be unable to afford a mortgage even with not much down

they both have degrees from cleveland university; my wife's old roommate during undergrad, and her husband, who met in cleveland and then happened to move here too, and they have good jobs, so my wife and i are kind of baffled at what they think they should be paying and what kind of mortgage payment theyre trying to get that wont be significantly cheaper than their current rent

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
counterpoint though: they recently looked at a house with a kitchen that was recently redone, and it literally did not have an oven

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
if my wife and i were planning to still be here in 5 years we would definitely be in the process of buying a house

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
the pittsburgh bus schedule and traffic patterns in oakland have been hosed up for the past month or so, since a important road that passes through CMU (Forbes) is closed due to a water main break

apparently the repair crews kept finding more and more problems once they started digging things up, and decided "fine while we have the road open, lets just fix everything"

two lanes of Forbes now have to turn left onto a one-lane low-capacity side road, which is a source of endless hilarity as people actively try to prevent a nice zipper merge out of spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
at the risk of playing "armchair traffic engineer", it seems like the city should have just closed the right lane of Forbes from Bellefield to Craig, so everyone whos going to have to turn left to get to Fifth can do that at a more appropriate place

• Locked thread