Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm gonna play through all the Metal Gear games in order except for Portable Ops. Just finished Metal Gear it was p decent for an eighties game except for the gently caress You Door that doesn't take a key card.

portable ops is real rough, even on pc

the stamina system is horseshit, and recruiting guys is awkward even if you do the dogpile

the bosses are more enjoyable than the vehicle fights in pw though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
big boss never did anything wrong

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

phantom pain has the best third person shooter mechanics of all time it's unbelievably good

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

how do you know

i played some it's really good

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

also the collections drop snakes nightmare(which honestly isn't very good and most people probably missed) and snake vs. monkey, which is a loving crime

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

snake, try to remember the basics of wearing your bedsheet like a cape

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i guess my only big beef with v is you're penalized for using refex so you might as well turn it off if you're never allowed to use it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

also it's kind of a bummer the shooting is so good in v because you're not allowed to use any of the guns, but then i guess you don't get to fire any guns outside of boss fights in the other games anyway

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

duckfarts posted:

i learned to just play games and stop agonizing over stupid poo poo

but snake is a legendary hero who only does good deeds so i can't make him shoot some poor chump just doing his job

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

the phantom pain app is out now so you can leave your idroid in your lap while you go on sneaking missions

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

AWW WHAT WHY

how is this even possible

uh, it takes some pretty sophisticated technology to capture several pairs of x,y coordinates and transmit them from one device to another and then back to the original device

and also to draw several different colored triangles? it's called computer science, maybe you should try learning it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't have it. Also it's obviously the worse version because nerds prefer it.

twin snakes is a lot more comedic and the mgs2 mechanics make it way easier but the biggest sin is it isn't exactly identical to the original so everybody is required to hate it

e: also you can shhot mario to get extra health after the gray fox fight

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 3, 2015

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

in peace walker the best possible character is a woman in a bikini armed with a banana with all s except the cqc stun damage with the psychic channeler deal that reveals items

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

i guess that means i'm at the halfway point

don't forget mgo which will probably be the best multiplayer shooting until they shut down the servers

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ugh i forgot that i hate stealth games

if you don't play every game like a stealth game and also use the absolute minimum number of expendables on the hardest difficulty then you are my enemy

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

i can't think of a game with a more generic and less interesting story than destiny (outside of mobas maybe)

frontlines: fuel of war

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i'm excited for nerds to build gps jammers to get the best pokemon and then cause a bunch of air disasters over major cities

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

snake drinks tea and diet coke

i guess raiden drinks cyborg juice

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

i can't believe i'm asking this but what the gently caress

does ocelot know who his parents are?

it's never really spelled out clearly

the boss probably knew during operation snake eater, and snake found out from eva who was told by volgin(?) that ocelot's mom had a snake shaped scar, so if nobody else knew snake could have given his buddy the "i knew your mom" speech

evidently ocelot found out sometime in the 6 years between snake eater and the san hieronymo incident, since ocelot was the one that came up with the plan for fox to kill the boss but at the end of portable ops he kills the dci and steals the legacy for zero apparently as revenge for getting conned into setting up the plan to kill his mom

e: then again portable ops also makes it seem like it could have the dci that developed the plan to kill the boss, but by peace walker hot coldman takes credit for operation snake eater so who knows

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 12, 2015

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

so basiclaly nobody knows because kojima cna't keep a story straight if his life depneding on it

well the problem is all the ocelot's motivation reveals come in portable ops. that something happened in san hieronymo is canon but it wasn't written by kojima so its not clear whether all the deviously clever strategist stuff is official

kojima seems to like the game but in peace walker kaz is all, that stuff that happened in san hieronymo was horseshit, let's never mention it again

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

what is the size limit on mario levels

like, can you remake the entirety of smw as a single level so you can get the cape and fly through the entire game

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

haha you can't even make a level more than 2 screens high

what a toilet of a game

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

mario maker should have had the capability to recreate any previously released 2d level and also it should have had an overworld maker

instead i guess you can make not quite as good as romhack levels that are displayed as a thumbnail so you can't even have level surprises because what if somebody makes a weiner out of coins

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

oh you're just supposed to keep CQC slamming him to the ground and not bother with anything else. WELL THAT WAS EXCITING.

fyi that's what you're supposed to do to every single enemy in the next 6 games except in boss fights where you're forced to shoot

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

how long would it take to play through the first three or four metal gears

if you don't skip any cutscenes or codecs the 5 good solid games before v (mgs1-3, pw, and gz) take ~48 hours

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

more to the point, in 3 she not only survives but pulls one over on snake and gets away with the prize

she gets a dummy copy ocelot delivers the real half of the legacy to the dci

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

the cool thing about v is it's so unbelievably good even though 2/3 of the game is missing

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

its closer to 1/2 but yeah. game owns. i wish they went further with the revenge thing but that wouldnt have made any sense given the ending.

well, chapter 2 is barely there and chapter 3 is completely gone

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

running around sneaking missions with stealth suit and banana was a lot of fun but i ran out of ammo and supply drops trying to do a co-op apc mission and just gave up on the game

if you ever fired any bullets except for the poonyan missions, ai/uma fights, and 2-3 shots on each vehicle commander then you were playing the game wrong

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Dodoman posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuck dealing with the vehicle guards with cqc, put that mosin-nagant to good use.

well, easy mode is sneaking suit holdups

pro mode is horny bikini babe smokebomb stun knife

before you have the fulton mine/lancher don't bother going for s ranks on vehicle fights

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

iirc and i was really tired at this point of the game because it's so darn slow but first solidus does a big reveal, then Ocelot, then the Colonel. that's just in the last cinematic, but prior to that there's also the whole thing about it all being a VR mission or something. so really 4 major plot twists that change everything right near the end, each one making the last irrelevant.

the patriots are alex jones' new world order. they control both sides of every conflict, so no matter the outcome they win. if you think you are in a position to fight the patriots then you are actually an agent of the patriots doing their will.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

the content everyone loves is the gauntlet of bullet sponge bosses and jumping puzzles they call a raid?

yeah actually that stuff is so good you play it like 40 times in a row to get some dumb item so you can play a sightly different level

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

i'm getting super pumped up for stellaris i hope it's really good

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

at the date posted:

It's going to be the best game of 2018.

i'm going to use the marry_anyone cheat and get a hot alien babe wife for my imbecile son

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

the best thing about bethesda games is the thousands of trash items with no purpose but to gently caress up and start noisily vibrating when they clip into the floor and then cause that cell to crash and corrupt your save

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

this happens because coordinates at runtime in the editor or the game engine are higher resolution than coordinates stored on disk in order to save space and reduce load times. exporting a level from the editor or saving your game (they use the same format, afaik) discards the low-order bits of everything which teleports them slightly at load time. and since you can rotate objects arbitrarily in three dimensions before setting them down, positioning all surfaces at multiples of the lower resolution won't help because the object can't have a "bottom" that is placed on the surface.

well a solution is to give each model a defined best guess orientation with a simple spherical com mesh and have a check that sees if any object in the cell with physics somehow has its com lower than the lowest local floor plane and if so disable clipping, move object an arbitrary distance above the floor and orient it into best guess and then enable clipping

of course this would have cool consequences like a stack of books where one bok slipped into a shelf and would suddenly rotate 90 degrees and cause everything else on the shelf to explode into the room killing anything in their path

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

looks p much like skyrim + all dlc except fallout atm

built a house, tend to your garden, sell potatoes

except like all bethesda games you'll do it for like 10 minutes and then work out that it's a waste of time because one vendor trash gun is worth more caps than 5 hours of dinking around with your potato plant which by the way stopped refreshing and now if you look at it from the wrong angle purple and black checkerboard textures fly across the screen and knock you zooming into the air where you explode

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In 5 years a modder will make it awesome.

good point now i am very excited for fallout 4

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

actually i hope fallout 4 is okay because i'm getting a ps4 for my dad for christmas and he said he kinda liked the other ones

but i bet he'll like mgsv better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

i have to go post in the grey forums

the first sensible thing i've seen all day

• Locked thread