Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I cut some multi-layer instrument cutouts and they are utterly precise compared to doing it by hand. Also it was less than a minute total and minimal handling/extra steps so overall pretty nice.

Never used a cnc hot wire machine; how do you start and end cutting closed shapes with one? Do you have to manually thread the wire for each hole (assuming you don't want to go in/our via the sides) or does it work more like a jigsaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

I cut some multi-layer instrument cutouts and they are utterly precise compared to doing it by hand. Also it was less than a minute total and minimal handling/extra steps so overall pretty nice.

Never used a cnc hot wire machine; how do you start and end cutting closed shapes with one? Do you have to manually thread the wire for each hole (assuming you don't want to go in/our via the sides) or does it work more like a jigsaw?

I don't know about commercial CNC hotwire setups, but I've seen some hombrew jobs that are just that, x/y table and stationary hotwire. I don't think a jigsaw style would work as a hotwire is usually a nichrome or steel wire with current passing through it. In this case you'd likely just drill/cut a hole and thread it through to make the internal cutout.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Most commerical foam cutters use waterjet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It hits a sweet spot for me, which is one-offs and small (<100) quantities.

When someone's alternative is either cutting by hand (which always looks bush league as hell) or being a nuisance client at Waterjet & Plasma Ltd., or pick-and-pluck foam (time consuming and inexact), or using some conformal foam stuff from ULINE ($$$), then I look like a sweet spot, too :yayclod:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I don't know about commercial CNC hotwire setups, but I've seen some hombrew jobs that are just that, x/y table and stationary hotwire. I don't think a jigsaw style would work as a hotwire is usually a nichrome or steel wire with current passing through it. In this case you'd likely just drill/cut a hole and thread it through to make the internal cutout.

It'd be possible if you had a loop you plunged in. You'd have to program the routing to keep the second part on the 'waste' part of the cut though. Wouldn't work if you needed your cut outs to be in one piece though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You could plunge your loop in so both parts are on the cut line, then you'd need a rotating head to keep both ends on the cut line whilst traveling. Complicated but doable, but is there any benefit?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So I continue to read up on laser cutters but still too poor and too much of a baby to buy one from China, however I've noticed that the more popular Chinese 100w lasers such as the G Weike 6090 have all been around since like 2009, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of innovation in the market from overseas.

Even most of the sellers in the States are just taking similar lasers and refurbishing them. Has there been no advances in laser technology in the last 5-10 years? Or is it just that they keep making newer and better lasers and selling them under the same model?

e: Well on further research it would seem like all the ones I was looking at are knock offs of old models such as the G Weike 6090. It would seem like newer models purchased direct from China are much better.

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 30, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah there's a laser cutter thread awesome.
My makerspace is building a 80w laser, upgrading a 40w. Other than the actual shell of the unit, everything has been gutted. The old laser seemed fine being cooled just by a fountain pump and a huge container of water, but the new one will probably need active cooling of some sort.

Lasers are cool, I miss having access to one. Just wanted to say hi and mark this thread, I'll probably have some laser questions and stories in the future.

Also, lasers are not good at etching finger nails.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Holy poo poo a laser dork thread.

Just read through this quick and a couple things popped out at me. I've found that acrylic itself doesn't stink and it is usually the protective film that makes you want to die. Also, you can filter out the fumes. You just need an exhaust system that costs more than the lasers themselves I've seen people post prices for. Don't ask how I know.

I now have a place where I can post pictures of the dumb poo poo I make with mine.

I can also answer some questions about lasers. Also being dumb and buying the Bentley of laser engravers and cutters.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I made dumb poo poo! Here's a puzzle design I cut as a test.

It's not a great execution but it's ridiculously satisfying to slide a piece in where it fits perfectly.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

I made dumb poo poo! Here's a puzzle design I cut as a test.

It's not a great execution but it's ridiculously satisfying to slide a piece in where it fits perfectly.

Nice. I really need to work on my puzzle making. You draw that yourself?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, I learned the whole fractal generation thing (well, how to use the L-system extension in Inkscape anyway) just enough to get something made. Took me way too long and I only barely understand it as a result so no one ask me to explain it :haw:

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Playing around with making some night lights. Everyone wants the Eye of Sauron observing them as they go down the hallway in the middle of the night to take a piss, right? Still need to work on this, find some paint, fix the laser annihilating the tips of the tower.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's great! I like how the eye itself turned out.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dan will be announcing something about the glowforge next week. apparently pre-release units have been shipping (some nebulous version after beta but before final rev) and release versions are supposed to start shipping in december

http://community.glowforge.com/t/thanksgiving-update/3519

Edit: lmao gently caress me and gently caress you dan

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 2, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where do you all get your sheets of balsa / basswood for cheap? I'd use plywood but thats currently not allowed on the laser I'm booking time on

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Where do you all get your sheets of balsa / basswood for cheap? I'd use plywood but thats currently not allowed on the laser I'm booking time on

I get basswood (not for laser stuff though) from Midwest Products - http://midwestproducts.com/collections/basswood

They also have balsa, plywood and hardwoods.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Happy holidays, laser thread! It started getting chilly around these parts, so I decided to do some decorating for the holidays:

The bulbs get a little warm, but not too hot, keeping the compartment an even temperature. I also dropped in a remote temperature sensor linked to a display inside the house, so hopefully there won't be any surprises.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
poo poo, Christmas lights as a micro space heater never even occurred to me :aaa:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I've been procrastinating on getting that 1W dealie set up on my shapeoko, but the plus side is work is having me take a fiber optics course so by the end of the week I should know everything needed to hook the diode (or another if mine isn't the right size) to one of these awesome fiber coupled collimators.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Optic-Collimator-for-Laser-Diode-Engraver-Etch-Cut-ST-Connector/251597123585

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Decided to see what's up with Glowforge. Delayed again (now Q2-Q3 2017?) but I just read a Make magazine piece from end of December saying they got a test unit and it's worth the wait. Or will be.

The dude does legit sound like he picked up on and set out to fix all the problems with current machines that makes them a pain in the rear end for people who are mainly interested in actually MAKING poo poo instead of teaching yourself to become a low level laser settings janitor & expert on crazy toolchains and fiddly poo poo.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Decided to see what's up with Glowforge. Delayed again (now Q2-Q3 2017?) but I just read a Make magazine piece from end of December saying they got a test unit and it's worth the wait. Or will be.

The dude does legit sound like he picked up on and set out to fix all the problems with current machines that makes them a pain in the rear end for people who are mainly interested in actually MAKING poo poo instead of teaching yourself to become a low level laser settings janitor & expert on crazy toolchains and fiddly poo poo.

I had kinda lost the hype on Glowforge, but Tested did a vid on a pre-release unit that kind of has me excited again: https://youtu.be/9O2a8CSzOI4
If they get all the camera stuff working right, it should be pretty cool.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of crazy toolchains, I have to use coreldraw x7 for this epilog I've been cutting with. If I try to move something to another part of the document after I've brought it in, it will often just leave it back where it started. If I delete parts of the composition (or even just hide them or disable from printing) (I dont know if related to just rasters or vectors) it will move the remaining items left / up.

How do I make it stop doing this because honestly, the worst part using a laser cutter is the positioning.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

I use Coreldraw X8 (now) and used X7 before. I have not had the issue of it moving objects around at all. I'm sort of familiar with the Epilog and I'm glad I don't have to deal with positioning in that manner. Does the driver not allow you to position the job to where the laser is actually sitting? I know you can have the jobs independent of the computer, can they not be moved around?

I really like Coreldraw, it handily beats Adobe Stockholm Syndrome, I mean Illustrator on a pure UI basis, nevermind workflow and curve handling. There are things I like about Illustrator that Corel doesn't have, but not enough to actually want to use it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can manually set home points on the epilog - I'd just prefer to know where it's going to end up without the extra step, or having things shift when i wanted to add to an engraving without it going over the previous spots

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Bought one of the K40s from a coworker today and my plan is to pull out the control board and swap it with something else, probably either an Arduino + Gshield or maybe even a TinyG. Has anyone else here tried this?

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2017

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are there domestic "works out of the box" options that are worth it if you have the budget? I've been looking at the Muse in a pre-pre-purchase research way, and I like the removable floor and rotary option for it.

How flexible is rotary laser engraving regarding distance from surface to laser. Pretty much straight cylinder to wine glass or could you do a wood Munny figure (provided you figure out a way to rotate it evenly)? I assume Matryoshka dolls are close enough.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 22, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
glowforge is sending out shipping notices (still six weeks out but holy poo poo its somethin)

The Aphasian posted:

Are there domestic "works out of the box" options that are worth it if you have the budget? I've been looking at the Muse in a pre-pre-purchase research way, and I like the removable floor and rotary option for it.

How flexible is rotary laser engraving regarding distance from surface to laser. Pretty much straight cylinder to wine glass or could you do a wood Munny figure (provided you figure out a way to rotate it evenly)? I assume Matryoshka dolls are close enough.

Are they selling the muse yet? their hobby series is still pretty decent.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 23, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
After several months of it being packed up in storage I finally got the K40 cooking again. Couple of projects to knock the rust off:

Earrings - acrylic with foil backing.

Plaque accessories: the emblem on top was laser cut from 1/4" poplar and then had a grayscale image engraved on top, filled in with paint. The nameplate is black/gold laser-it aluminum, also engraved. The plaque itself was cut from 1" poplar on my shapeoko.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

I made some refrigerator magnets. Laser printed cardstock glued with Super 77 to 1/8" hardboard, rare earth magnets super glued on the back.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

That's pretty sweet.

You said you had the Bentley of laser cutters; who made it and what about it makes it worth it?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Trotec. With the camera and rotary attachment. Was ~45k.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's the camera do, exactly?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

If I drop black 6mm circles on an artwork I would like to cut out, the camera will go and find them and know exactly where it is supposed to cut. Slightly crooked when you place it in the laser bed? Adjusts for that. The printer scaled it 1%, it'll adjust for that. It is accurate enough I don't put bleeds in.

Print this on a laser printer:

Send this cut file to the laser cutter/engraver

Cuts on the red after finding the black circles. I have more trouble with the laser printer registration than I do with the engraver.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo I had no idea, and here I am using jigs and poo poo like a sucker!

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
So, my local hackerspace's laser cutter had a bit of fire. It's mostly ok, but the timing belt took some damage. It seems to be a HTD 3M by 15mm wide. Which is basically what every replacement laser cutter belt on amazon/ebay/whatever is, so that's all good.

The problem is that when I compare the new belt to the old belt the new belt's tooth pitch is just a tiny bit longer. By my rough estimate, after 117 (351mm) teeth, it's longer by half a tooth pitch (1.5 mm).

Now I doubt I got a high quality belt with the cutter, and I didn't buy a top shelf belt now, but this seems high. Looking at a random pdf the tolerance it claims is .2mm up to 500 mm. Another one says .5. So it could be bad belt (I don't know which is further from "ideal" I just checked relative), but it could also mean that I got the wrong belt? Is there some imperial pitch belt with semicircular teeth that's almost 3mm pitch. For example .125" pitch would be pretty close to 3mm, though after 117 teeth the error would be 20 mm, in the other direction, so it's clearly not that.

For all this, I don't think this will actually matter.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Would this machine and this upgrade kit be a good starting point for getting into the hobby (without ever putting power to the machine until after installing the upgrade kit)?

I have a small shop with climate control, so I'm less worried about the cooling system being underpowered for the area I live in. Would the central vacuum system I use to suck up all the woodworking particles be good enough for the exhaust hookup or do I actually need to run a "pump this poo poo outside" line?

Also what does the air assist need to be regulated to?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You want an outside exhaust so when hot debris gets vented it doesn't set your poo poo on fire

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Would this machine and this upgrade kit be a good starting point for getting into the hobby (without ever putting power to the machine until after installing the upgrade kit)?

I have a small shop with climate control, so I'm less worried about the cooling system being underpowered for the area I live in. Would the central vacuum system I use to suck up all the woodworking particles be good enough for the exhaust hookup or do I actually need to run a "pump this poo poo outside" line?

Also what does the air assist need to be regulated to?

I think those kits are overkill. You don't need those huge drivers or a new power supply, and the control panel is superfluous if you are going to have a computer right next to the machine to control it anyway.

Here's what I got to upgrade my K40:
$100 Cohesion Mini3D controller board & drivers - This is made specifically to drop right into a K40 as a smoothieboard controller replacement with pre-installed custom firmware just for the K40. Took me less that 15 minutes to swap out my stock board, no problems at all.
$35 Aquarium air pump
$20 4" Inline duct fan - Very quiet but I might upgrade to a more powerful one, I can still smell some acrylic fumes when cutting.
$12 4" duct hose
$6 4" Dust hood adapter that fits almost perfectly in the rear air vent.
$7 10x15mm Drag chain for air assist hose. This will just barely fit, you might want to buy a slightly smaller one.
$20 Laser head w/ air assist
$28 Laser focus lens for new head
$10 Air hose
$41 CO2 protective glasses
$0 LaserWeb4 controller software. Was hoping to run mine on a headless Pi3 & accessed through a web interface on another PC but it looks like it isn't powerful enough. Works perfectly on my old (2014) laptop though.

Total: $279

As far as exhaust goes you don't want to risk a small piece of cardboard or plywood with a glowing edge landing in a can of sawdust. I've had heavy cardstock smolder for almost a minute after I stopped cutting. Plus if you plan on cutting acrylic that stuff stinks so you won't want it vented into an enclosed space. Realistically you don't need a huge amount of airflow, just enough to create negative pressure inside the case so smoke won't seep out while cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nevets posted:

I think those kits are overkill. You don't need those huge drivers or a new power supply, and the control panel is superfluous if you are going to have a computer right next to the machine to control it anyway.

I won't have a PC right next to the machine. Was thinking about using a Pi3 with LaserWeb to drive it (already have a Pi3 set up with a keyboard, monitor and mouse to function as a really space saving shop PC, though I don't actually use it for much except to run my 3d printer with an instance of Octopi that also lets me view the desktop directly if I forgot my phone).

quote:

As far as exhaust goes you don't want to risk a small piece of cardboard or plywood with a glowing edge landing in a can of sawdust. I've had heavy cardstock smolder for almost a minute after I stopped cutting. Plus if you plan on cutting acrylic that stuff stinks so you won't want it vented into an enclosed space. Realistically you don't need a huge amount of airflow, just enough to create negative pressure inside the case so smoke won't seep out while cutting.

I would swap the barrel at the exhaust end before engraving anything. Also, whenever I'm done doing any particular woodworking for the day I go ahead and pile any burn-able trash (within what's legal where I live, mostly just the sawdust, chips and any paper products) in the same barrel and burn it all with a fine mesh grate on top of the barrel to keep anything from flying out.

EDIT: I live way out in the boonies where nobody gives a poo poo what I do so long as it doesn't make too much noise.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 13, 2017

• Locked thread