Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

going to pour toxic smoke into some retard's kitchen or light itself on fire when they don't learn about the process

I would assume the 4-5k price tag is going to deter complete idiots (and they've appeared to have made the air filtering process pretty easy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tres Burritos posted:

Is ... is this ... sarcasm?

Dreadllama posts a whole lot of not sarcasm :colbert:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Me too and I'm a dumb idiot who didn't use a referral code welp

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I went and randomly searched for shipping updates for the glowforge - it looks like they extended the first wave (before oct 24th) estimates to first half of 2016 (instead of early 2016). Though they also mentioned a beta program that would ship in December if you wanted to opt in for that. Almost considering it given that I want to let others use it at our makerspace. Hopefully they detail what exactly a beta wave entails soon.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow, The glowforge forums are the loving worst, both from a software and community aspect. Apparently the beta turned into a "rolling beta" giving them no reason to ever tell you you're not getting a beta unit. Just let me loving plan around it, and don't have your forum regulars jump me for pointing out there is no reason for navigating a message board to be that slow in the year of our lord 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Will smith tested it that's good enough for me :colbert: *paypals Dan Shapiro 2k*

Also he's mailing everyone a copy of his book for Christmas

Edit: someone unironically suggested I push an update to the oss forum software they use and fix it myself. I have now been transported to a Linux forum from the mid 00s

Spike is very unhappy about my use of fancy words like aggressive and milquetoast vvvv

edit: uh oh they hid all my posts

Edit: uh oh they just locked the thread

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 29, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
sounds like the attempts at chinese assembly went really drat poorly

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dan will be announcing something about the glowforge next week. apparently pre-release units have been shipping (some nebulous version after beta but before final rev) and release versions are supposed to start shipping in december

http://community.glowforge.com/t/thanksgiving-update/3519

Edit: lmao gently caress me and gently caress you dan

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 2, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where do you all get your sheets of balsa / basswood for cheap? I'd use plywood but thats currently not allowed on the laser I'm booking time on

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of crazy toolchains, I have to use coreldraw x7 for this epilog I've been cutting with. If I try to move something to another part of the document after I've brought it in, it will often just leave it back where it started. If I delete parts of the composition (or even just hide them or disable from printing) (I dont know if related to just rasters or vectors) it will move the remaining items left / up.

How do I make it stop doing this because honestly, the worst part using a laser cutter is the positioning.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can manually set home points on the epilog - I'd just prefer to know where it's going to end up without the extra step, or having things shift when i wanted to add to an engraving without it going over the previous spots

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
glowforge is sending out shipping notices (still six weeks out but holy poo poo its somethin)

The Aphasian posted:

Are there domestic "works out of the box" options that are worth it if you have the budget? I've been looking at the Muse in a pre-pre-purchase research way, and I like the removable floor and rotary option for it.

How flexible is rotary laser engraving regarding distance from surface to laser. Pretty much straight cylinder to wine glass or could you do a wood Munny figure (provided you figure out a way to rotate it evenly)? I assume Matryoshka dolls are close enough.

Are they selling the muse yet? their hobby series is still pretty decent.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 23, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thegasman2000 posted:

Does anyone have a smaller Chinese laser like the neje? I want one for burning monograms and logos on stuff and the size is great but my items (chopping boards for example) are larger so I wonder if I can cut the thing apart to take a larger work piece.

There are eleksdraw products on banggood that would probably suit your needs. diode lasers 500-2500mw and frames made from either acrylic or metal. I dont recommend exposed lasers though (at least buy some quality laser protective eyeware if you live a braver life than I)

https://www.banggood.com/search/eleksdraw.html

I use it to draw with a sharpie or a pen mostly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqJ4MHzbqo

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 8, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're looking to get a laser cutter for our makerspace. I see the redsail x700 mentioned on a lot of sites from 2013-2016 for other makerspaces, but I'm having some issues actually finding that model anywhere. Does anyone have experience with redsail, or know a good us based reseller? One of our members is getting yanked around on pricing trying to buy it direct.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 11, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nobody- posted:

So has anyone here who ordered a Glowforge received one yet? The only place I've seen actual users discussing them is on Glowforge's forums. I'd be interested in some reviews from less biased sources.

Jeremy Williams talked about his on the tested podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehNaHO3ZjV0

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

What's their exhaust system like? I think I remember they have an integrated filter & showed happy people laser cutting poo poo in their kitchen carefree.

Its the same setup as most other laser cutters at the moment. The air filter will be released later this year. vent it out the window or into your own filtering box.

quote:

Why are Glowforge owners so drat cagey when it comes to sharing details?

theres like 10+ new threads every time I log in, and a lot of photos, including plenty with non proofgrade materials. Biggest complaint I've seen now is obfuscating the speed / feed settings in the interface, making it more of a pain to experiment with non proofgrade materials (dialing in the settings is still a trial thing for any material you use, but its nice to easily know and input a beginning wattage others have used successfully on another machine) . But that stuff is changing rapidly.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 31, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dremel announced a 40 W laser today, and there is a 90% chance Dan will announce another delay for glowforges shipping after the makerfaire

https://makezine.com/2017/09/23/dremel-announces-40-watt-laser-cutter/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Glowforge plans to bump their prices to 4K/8k in December. Those people won’t get theirs til June or further. It’s been almost half a year since official release and core features still haven’t been delivered (pass through on the pro, accurate tracing, accurate positioning in general, the code to run it off the cloud). Why would anyone want to buy what they currently have for 8k.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

How's the laser market (not just chinese) these days for a simple small cutter just for cutting cardboard?

Its pretty easy to scale a openbuild acro system to any size if you dont want to go the eleksmaker route.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jimmysip posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my Silhouette Cameo for a laser machine but it's all a bit overwhelming. I thought a laser cutter might cut a bit faster and more consistently and save me having to weed my designs off the sticky carrier sheet every time.

Would this laser be any good for just cutting card and maybe doing a bit of wood burning? It seems perfect from the description and I don't mind having to learn to set it up. It seems suspiciously cheap though, is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Its a rebrand of an eleksmaker. Theres a mod to the laser mount on the x axis that improves things significantly. Heres the one I have at our makerspace:

https://www.banggood.com/2500mW-A3-...ur_warehouse=CN

The one mod I did for it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2482004

It engraves like a champ, and should cut cardstock fine. We're using t2laser for the software.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thats cool, but since its 4k-8k now, it should probably be compared to similar priced models. I'd 100000% get a fsl h series instead of a basic now, or a model from rabbit laser instead of the pro. The software side is nice but they've also dropped the ball, severely. 2+ years and they still haven't corrected properly for camera distortion. Countless reports I see on the forums / facebook where YOU HAVE TO SLICE UP BIG DESIGNS BECAUSE THEIR CLOUD BASED SOFTWARE VOMITS ON THEM. Core pro functionality that they advertise on their site still does not work. There is no chiller, so you are reliant on having a fully climate controlled room (this summer is gonna be great for glowforge)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Everything I've seen about them seems like overpriced hardware with the "easy software" marketing that may indeed make it easier for beginners starting out, but will ultimately limit you and over process your poo poo when you know exactly what you want.

they were competitively priced at the beginning. I don't think anyone expected the latest price increase, especially given that they've yet to finish shipping them out to the original preorders.

quote:

Which they did - except that it was just basic laser cutter firmware, with nothing to enable the features which make the Glowforge what it is.

When / where did they put this out?

quote:

Yes I use manual settings all the time because most of what I engrave is scraps from larger woodworking projects. You can use a proofgrade equivalent setting or just set it all yourself

Can you actually do layout without the camera? The last time I was looking at the forums, you couldn't just do what you'd do on a epilog or similar and just say you wanted to position this at x, y, etc.

• Locked thread