Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think the defensive driving analogy holds up. It's more like not wanting to take a rally driving course because you only intend to drive around town and commute to work.

I've seen a lot of people online looking down their noses at the glow forge for being "babby's first laser", and the response is "fine, it's not for you". It reminds me of the EE guys who scoff at arduino users because it's not "real" embedded programming because it has an accessible IDE and tutorials. As an open-source-it hack-it-to-own-it technical user myself I can appreciate the limitations of the glow forge but we're still considering getting one for our makerspace, probably in support of a larger more capable machine. A good chunk of our community don't have the time or energy to invest on top of their existing projects / interests. They are happy to work within the limitations because they only have simple needs.

Don't underestimate the value of accessibility. Thanks to user-experience-focussed design my 81 year old grandmother can use her iPhone 6 and face-time with her grandkids around the world with practically no assistance.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Also I'd argue that even when you know what you're doing, sometimes it's nice just to sit down and get something done without having to spend hours doing it. Like, just because I can do a lot of things myself doesnt mean I always want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Get a second, higher power laser tube and arrange a mirror grid around the exhaust port of the first one. The laser will vaporize the particles out of the exhaust of the first laser.

This is the only answer.

I ended up drinking the kool aid for a glowforge, though; too many horror stories about the cheap Chinese lasers that I don't want to deal with. And I refuse to buy from full spectrum; our makerspace got one and they've been complete assholes when we just had a couple of questions. Epilog would be awesome but as the rest of you mentioned, price.

Assuming it shows up sometime within twelve months, I'll come in here and let you know how much I regret giving them money. :eng99:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Or, to use something other than a car analogy, an iPad versus a Windows desktop. The iPad will be easier to use for someone who can't be bothered to develop any real technological literacy - provided they're not trying to do anything even slightly outside of how the machine's designers envisioned it would be used.

Though at least there's some possibility that the Glowforge software would allow for manual speed and power control like other laser cutters.

Uh, it's completely controllable if you want it to be.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

This is also not the first time I've read a straight answer from their Q&A forums, which is nice too.

Yeah, the CEO specifically has been good about that. One thing that *really* rubs me the wrong way though is his occasionally arrogant attitude. Whenever someone has a serious criticism of the unit, he just says, "It's probably not for you, let's refund your money!" and I think it sounds a bit assholish.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 27, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I went and randomly searched for shipping updates for the glowforge - it looks like they extended the first wave (before oct 24th) estimates to first half of 2016 (instead of early 2016). Though they also mentioned a beta program that would ship in December if you wanted to opt in for that. Almost considering it given that I want to let others use it at our makerspace. Hopefully they detail what exactly a beta wave entails soon.

From what I understand, they're definitely only shipping the first units to makerspaces with large userbases, especially those in the PNW (so they can get their hands on issues immediately). Once any bugs that wave reveals are worked out, they'll start shipping finished pieces.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aahhaahhaha that's you - fwiw I don't think anyone should have ever expected to get a beta unit; it's not like they're going to be mailing them to a bunch of people far from Seattle.

Having said that, the forums there are a goddamned cesspool. You can't raise issues without people shouting you down as if they have done something more accomplished than shelling out a couple of grand. And the staff isn't much better; instead of responding to criticism they just say "maybe this isn't for you, why don't you cancel your order."

I mean, I suspect the end product will actually be okay, but good lord are the customers spoiled, entitled little babies; I really hate interacting there, now.

edit: also lololol at all the nonsense "oh i'm going to make a startup with this laser". apparently selling lovely laser-cut projects is now a "startup"

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 28, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Will smith tested it that's good enough for me :colbert: *paypals Dan Shapiro 2k*

Also he's mailing everyone a copy of his book for Christmas

Edit: someone unironically suggested I push an update to the oss forum software they use and fix it myself. I have now been transported to a Linux forum from the mid 00s

Spike is very unhappy about my use of fancy words like aggressive and milquetoast vvvv

edit: uh oh they hid all my posts

Edit: uh oh they just locked the thread

Well no that's just one of the forum's glorious automated features.

It's silly, but big consumer purchases become tied to identity and ego which really highlights what insecure babies most people are.

It's silly, but big consumer purchases become tied to identity and ego which really highlights what insecure babies most people are.
Truth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol welp, who's unsurprised

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

sounds like the attempts at chinese assembly went really drat poorly

Apparently their attempt to engineer a new PSU was disastrous and only completed this week. Still kind of glad to see it made in the us because then I only need to pay tax and not duty. :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Didn't get a response in the CNC thread so I'll ask here too, has anyone tried the JTech Photonics laser kit? It looks interesting, much lower power than the Chinese IR cutters, but my main interests are burning photos into wood and possibly using it to make masks on PCBs with laser printer toner anyways.
http://jtechphotonics.com/?product=new-2-8w-laser-and-2-5amp-safety-compliant-driver-kit-with-us-style-power-adapter

I can't speak to this module, but there are a million on alibaba that even come with their own frame, ranging from .5 to 3W.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Do you have a link? I'm finding a bunch of CO2 lasers and other random stuff like hair removal lasers instead.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about (aliexpress is very slightly easier to search on than alibaba :v:):

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-laser-engraver-diy.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I actually have one of those. The laser is a "burning" laser, it's not ionizing radiation like from an e.g. CO2 laser. In other words, the laser makes hot and melts/burns. That's fine for some kinds of etching and junk (I get pretty nice results on thermal paper for example at a really low duty cycle, and no ventilation needed because no smoke or fumes.) However it won't cut anything except by burning it.

I've meant to see what it can do to chocolate (will it melt it a little, enough to write on the chocolate by basically annealing it?) and had some nutso idea to try carving into wax with it or something. But besides that and the probably malware-ridden driver program there's nothing much to say about it. This was some 500mW diode one.

As mentioned, you've definitely got some things mixed up; CO2 lasers don't have ionizing radiation at all.

For what it's worth, diode lasers can still cut things, usually at much lower wattage than a CO2 laser. That said, the 500mW is what hampered you, not the fact that it's diode-based.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I didn't know co2 lasers couldn't ionize, shows what I know!

What I was trying to say is that the ones like in that link don't in a practical sense act the same as a big cutter just scaled down. Sure all that's really different is size, power, air assist, etc but in a practical sense they're very different and can't do the same jobs.

Maybe some of the really higher power ones would - never seen or used any - but not the little guys like in that link.

Any of those diode lasers that're 5W and higher can do some poo poo. That's what that Mr. Beam II uses, and it can do thin woods and acrylics and things.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

That'd be cool to try. How thick of acrylic and wood are we talking?

The mr beam ii can do 5mm ply or 2mm acrylic at five watts. Dunno about the alibaba ones but i suspect they're similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

So quality!

I'm hoping that I can get this shortly and find a way to mount it that still leaves the router on the shapeoko. How rad would it be to be able to laser something and then mill it out? :hellyeah:

Relatedly I recently picked up a similar laser with the thought of making a simple laser cutter for paper / food. It seems like most of the options / kits for doing an xy gantry are really expensive and / or overbuilt. I don't need something that can support a router chewing through wood, just this laser or maybe a sharpie if I wanted to do pen plotter stuff.

Anyone have a suggested starting point, or should I just plan on diying this thing while cloth?

• Locked thread