Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah there's a laser cutter thread awesome.
My makerspace is building a 80w laser, upgrading a 40w. Other than the actual shell of the unit, everything has been gutted. The old laser seemed fine being cooled just by a fountain pump and a huge container of water, but the new one will probably need active cooling of some sort.

Lasers are cool, I miss having access to one. Just wanted to say hi and mark this thread, I'll probably have some laser questions and stories in the future.

Also, lasers are not good at etching finger nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not specifically a chinese laser question, but I'm having a laser problem.

This isn't my laser, but it shows a very similar sort of tank-tread like belt enclosing the air supply hose, a lot of lasers have a something like this.

My problem is that as the laser moves left and right and the links/treads in this chain-like thing flex, it's wobbling the laser head when each link initially is picked up or put down. Would some sort of lube help? If so, what would be a safe lube?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The chain segments seem very rigid and there's quite the little snap each time a new segment begins to bend. Would some sort of lube help at least in the short term? If so what lube would be safest to use?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got some more feedback
"The design of the X-axis cable carrier is suspect to me. I'll post a photo later that compares the two types of cable carriers in the big laser. the Y-axis cable carrier has rounded joints, while the problematic X-axis cable carrier has square sections in the joints, that clearly rub when the joint bends. This is likely the source of the problem. Replacing with a different X-axis cable carrier design might be all it takes."

We also have a very tight angle on it.
"The way we installed the cable carrier created a relatively tight radius with the links. Only about 3-4 links are involved in the 180 degree change of direction - perhaps this encourages the abrupt bump as the joint moves. It might be possible to change the angle of attachment to the laser head to increase the radius of the chain, which will involve more links in the bend. Or. maybe raise the attachment point to achieve the same.
That might produce a smoother transition for each link - just a theory at this point."

Ah, the fun with a home-made laser.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think this is my problem, the radius of the cable holder thing is way way too tight. Top is how it is, it's mounted 90 degrees to the head. I think if we adjust it to 45 degrees or so it could relax things.

This is the bad chain we got. See how it has square ends that bind when the radius gets really tight?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend modded the laser "chain" to come off at a higher angle, but it's still wobbling from the chain, and the chain looks stiff. You can clearly see the links aren't falling in a gentle arc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my bumpy laser wasn't from the chain, it's from the top wheel on the laser head. The outside of the wheel feels clean, so something must be wrong with the bearing inside? it's just a little rubber wheel thing attached by a bolt into the laser head. Would some contact cleaner maybe melt what ever's grunging up the inside of the wheel or is that not a safe thing to spray near a laser? It looks like we'll have to take the whole drat head off to even see what the problem is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Focus friends :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Weird question:
My laser tube seems to have a minimum power it fires at, and that minimum combined with the laser's fastest speed is still producing a beam that's too strong for some things I'm trying to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to work around this? I'm almost thinking if I could basically put "sunglasses" on the head of the laser to some how reduce the power of the beam coming in?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think big things are coming at the consumer laser front in the next couple years. I just hope I can get a small cheap reliable laser with decent software and no loving cloud bullshit. I don't want a laser that feels like an apple product.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How's the laser market (not just chinese) these days for a simple small cutter just for cutting cardboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Without the protective sheet you're going to probably get a lot of burn marks on your surface. I was cutting a bunch of glossy adhesive letters out and I took the film off the front, cut down on the smell but mostly ruined the gloss.

• Locked thread