Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sounds like it's already ahead of what some other people find when they open up theirs!

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, that will do the trick. I have one of those little 500mW dealies and it burns lines into wood just fine.

No idea what kind of cooling you might need for sustained use though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cheap and flat and 1/8" (nominal) = hardboard for sure. I've used so much of that stuff :shepface:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also some "1/8" that is 3.06mm and some that is 3.46mm, which causes fun when the parts are designed to be able to slot into each other :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rakins posted:

Does anyone use a planer to solve that problem? Was looking for a cheap one on craigslist.

I don't bother trying to "fix" it, especially not hardboard at $2 per 24x24 piece. I just measure which flavor of 1/8" :airquote: it is and use a job tweaked for it.

It doesn't matter much with these little wood things I'm slotting together but generally speaking you should assume the thickness of the material when laser cutting can't be fully trusted. Thicknesses are all nominal.

An extruded sheet of e.g. acrylic could be +/-10% in thickness (so I've read from people who measure these things) so when you make a design, design in a way that doesn't rely on the thickness of the material being precise -- or tweak it as needed. The laser can be accurate, the thickness of the poo poo you're cutting isn't always.

Ponoko had a good bit about that in the part of this article that talks about the spinning top design: http://blog.ponoko.com/2016/01/04/how-to-make-laser-cut-interlocking-acrylic-designs/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey did the glowforge get made/implode or whatever yet?

I look forward to happy peeps cutting acrylic and poo poo on their kitchen table :yayclod:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

MarcusSA posted:

It has an air filter built in.

I remember the ad showed happy people literally using it in their kitchen which would be cool and good so it loving better :o::gas:

Last anyone talked about it here was something vague about a roadblock of some kind in assembly but no idea whether that derailed anything or whether anything has happened.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Parts Kit posted:

Would the 40 to 90w CO2 lasers be suitable for making laser pinholes in aluminum flashing? I believe it's about .015" thick, though it'll also be reflective as hell. What'd be ideal is if it could punch the pinhole and then cut out a square or circular shape around it.

I don't think so, isn't CO2 laser the wrong wavelength to get absorbed by (and therefore cut) aluminum? If it was aluminum foil you might be able to punch a hole just on account of how little energy the foil can take, but 0.15" is way thicker than I'd be tempted to try.

I think that Dibond stuff is way thinner than 0.15" and a CO2 laser machine can't cut that poo poo. It can engrave away the anodizing but doesn't do dick to the metal layer.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I realized a neat application I never considered before: cutting the foam from e.g. instrument cases for a custom fit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I cut some multi-layer instrument cutouts and they are utterly precise compared to doing it by hand. Also it was less than a minute total and minimal handling/extra steps so overall pretty nice.

Never used a cnc hot wire machine; how do you start and end cutting closed shapes with one? Do you have to manually thread the wire for each hole (assuming you don't want to go in/our via the sides) or does it work more like a jigsaw?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It hits a sweet spot for me, which is one-offs and small (<100) quantities.

When someone's alternative is either cutting by hand (which always looks bush league as hell) or being a nuisance client at Waterjet & Plasma Ltd., or pick-and-pluck foam (time consuming and inexact), or using some conformal foam stuff from ULINE ($$$), then I look like a sweet spot, too :yayclod:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I made dumb poo poo! Here's a puzzle design I cut as a test.

It's not a great execution but it's ridiculously satisfying to slide a piece in where it fits perfectly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, I learned the whole fractal generation thing (well, how to use the L-system extension in Inkscape anyway) just enough to get something made. Took me way too long and I only barely understand it as a result so no one ask me to explain it :haw:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's great! I like how the eye itself turned out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
poo poo, Christmas lights as a micro space heater never even occurred to me :aaa:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Decided to see what's up with Glowforge. Delayed again (now Q2-Q3 2017?) but I just read a Make magazine piece from end of December saying they got a test unit and it's worth the wait. Or will be.

The dude does legit sound like he picked up on and set out to fix all the problems with current machines that makes them a pain in the rear end for people who are mainly interested in actually MAKING poo poo instead of teaching yourself to become a low level laser settings janitor & expert on crazy toolchains and fiddly poo poo.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's the camera do, exactly?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo I had no idea, and here I am using jigs and poo poo like a sucker!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's weird, drag chain really shouldn't be causing the head to wobble.

E: like shouldn't be obviously, but I mean shouldn't be as in "should not be able to"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That drag chain should be all :flaccid:

I know you said the links are stiff but is it also maybe over stuffed inside? An empty drag chain should be straight up limp and floppy (except for side to side and past the stop point).

That being said, a head still really shouldn't be thrown off by the force of pulling along a recalcitrant drag chain. A stiff drag chain should just mean the motors work harder than they need to.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If the stuff you want to fry is too large to fit in the machine then it's not the right tool for your job. There are similar machines built on bigger xy gantry designs that you can fry your eyeballs with instead of the neje.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
LaserWeb on the host software side, but the motion controller needs to be changed out for sure.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Couple things to mention:

First of all, speed can be misreading. The results of 50mm/s and 300mm/s can look identical if the cut is a small object. With accelerating and deceleration of the head taken into account the head can't actually reach a high speed before it has to slow down again.

A thing you can do is, if it exists, use the dashed line/perforation setting. You can get an effectively lower power level by playing with that. Not all laser controllers have a PPI setting.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's their exhaust system like? I think I remember they have an integrated filter & showed happy people laser cutting poo poo in their kitchen carefree.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have an 85W and I cut 1/4" at about 8-12mm/s if I remember right. That's pretty slow really.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wonder what the problems are. Like is the hardware great but the software end is trouble, was it all just way harder than they expected, or what.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As soon as they played "what technically counts as shipped" games with their units I figured that was the end of that. No one who starts down that road comes back from it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They did have some promising sounding stuff though, like how they from square one designed to fit certain dimensions and such to make shipping and logistics sensible and low cost. No one ever really considers details like that unless it isn't your first rodeo, and I thought it was a promising sign.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember an experiment someone did using a paste of plaster of paris with rubbing alcohol. Paint it onto the metal, then laser it, and it worked like cermark.
Something about swapping a chromium atom between the uncured plaster and the metal causing the (permanent) color change probably just like cermark does.

Haven't tried it myself but it's on my list.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm unsure how laser cutting the vinyl will avoid the need for weeding but maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent & it's more of a "if I can laser engrave then I don't need to gently caress with weeding and vinyl at all"

You will need ventilation though, and eye protection.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You'll need a fan to pull the burning smells away and out a window or something, but mostly that's how they work.

In practice you might end up needing to insert an extra step in the workflow where you export from your design program and import it into the laser cutter's software but not necessarily.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Speaking of laser software I tried installing LaserCut5.3 on a new Windows 10 machine and while it appears to install properly it won't run and complains about acge15.dll not found.

If I manually copy that .dll over from my other windows 10 machine on which it works fine (laptop that was upgraded to win10, not a fresh install of it) then I get a bizarre dialog box that says "Right" and that's it, exits afterwards with an error.

Google searching tells me gently caress all, other than one guy saying to turn off the driver/etc authentication in Win10 before installing and it'll work, but I did that and it changes nothing.

I don't suppose one of you kind souls is both self-loathing enough to voluntarily use LaserCut5.3 *and* happens to have magic knowledge of how to make it work on Win10?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Be a James Bond level villain to bugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sounds like your bed is out of square. Mine's "sweet spots" shift somewhat between summer and winter for example.

Deal with it is one option

• Locked thread