Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Laser cad looks to be similar towards the learning curve I had with Mastercam. Things that seem like they should be simple to do require you to learn how to create it using the unintuitive system. But once you learn the layout and programing structure it is very very powerful and simplifies a lot of things that are hard or near impossible to do by hand without major errors. Once you know how the software works the hardest part is just figuring out where to start.

I had 2 days to learn mastercam with no experience whatsoever and no one to help :suicide: If I can anyone can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
This thread helped me on making a decision on a laser engraver/cutter. In another few weeks I will have a slightly better built laser cutter sent to my house and get to learn about all of these wonderful accidents waiting to happen. I bought a 50 watt laser to use as a hobby entry level and potentially help out a friend with her Etsy business doing some more specialized engraving. This will largely be for a learning experience since I have been trying to get work to buy me am industrial laser for years now (for shits and giggles largely).

I mostly work with wire EDM cncs so this will be a way to gain more experience doing something along the same lines, at least programing wise.
Heres hoping I don't burn my house down! :v:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hey guys with a chinase laser. How big is the sucker? The box I just got is fricken huge and the laser is huge! Will get pictures this weekend of it and will use the long weekend I have next week from work to start trying it out. Everything looks good so far and I have things strapped down and moving smoothly. Only thing I see is the no grommets in a few spots thing and two spots where there were no nuts holding a latch on the side. The rest of the latches and hings are all latched tight though. Heres hoping its not skin deep!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Along with that check the wiring, and check the power connecter. On mine I found that there is a buried fuse or something in the part the power comes in at. Racking my brain for a few days trying to find out why I couldn't turn the machine on and bought a voltmeter after work and went to town. The power cord was fine but the connection to the machine was off. The load apparently went back under the plastic after coming from the blade and buried in the plastic is a fuse or wire or some poo poo. Whatever it was it blew and the laser lost power. Stuck a blade connector on there for now while I check everything else out and it works fine. Have an actual working c14 connector coming in the mail to replace it with.

Already replaced the PSU with one from light objects and bought the x7 DSP controller to put in once I start feeling better. The actual structure and mechanics are solid just some of the small stuff is just :effort: These things are great for a project though if you have mechanical experience but yeah the warning in the title is pretty app.

Also the screws are made of goddamn mud I swear. Almost every screw on the machine is stripped even with the right screwdriver.

• Locked thread