Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone know if this laser head is air assisted? It has a little nozzle right at the tip of the head like most air assists are but it isn't mentioned in the description anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

For what it's worth it sure looks like it is. The air tube goes in on the side, blowing out through the nozzle. Can't imagine why that end is there if it's not for that purpose.

Yeah that's what I thought, I'm gonna go for it. The 18mm ZnSe lens is worth $52 on light object by itself and it comes with a bigger head

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone use honeycomb tables, this looks like it would fit the K40

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Dunno if any of you are a member, but there's a google group for K40 owners that has been really helpful in upgrading my machine. Everyone replies at all hours of the night and gets you help with a problem fast.

I'm finally pretty finished upgrading my machine. Cut out the lovely air duct, replaced the blower fan with a nice inline fan :420: and drilled some holes to screw new duct into case so no more space in between. Also ripped out the lovely clamp bed and gained about 3 inches of vertical space for focusing. Added the ebay Saite_Cutter air assist head with new lens which is really nice, but just need to re-focus machine now. I cracked a nipple on my water inlet and couldn't get the hosing to stay put or keep from leaking with silicone, hose clamps, or zip ties and marine epoxy did the trick. Just swapped the pump for a lower flow rate so I don't stress it. But the 10 layers of epoxy have moved my tube about a quarter inch from where it was originally so focusing is turning out to be a pain. I'm trying to move my mirrors further back but might just cut the side out of the case and move the tube back so I don't have to mess with every drat mirror mount. Also almost have my smoothieboard in too!

I found some cool 3D printable parts for the K40, unfortunately can't use them yet as my printer came with missing parts, if anyone wants to print me some I'll toss you some money.

Focusing tools

http://www.thingiverse.com/funinthefalls/collections/k40-cutter/page:5

Cheap air assist

Laser cut 4th axis rotary

3D printed rotary

Rakins fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 8, 2016

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also some "1/8" that is 3.06mm and some that is 3.46mm, which causes fun when the parts are designed to be able to slot into each other :v:

Does anyone use a planer to solve that problem? Was looking for a cheap one on craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

The Locator posted:

I use a thickness sander, but good ones aren't cheap at all, and I imagine one to do larger stuff is even less cheap than what I have ( http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/sander5.html )

Are thickness sanders cheaper than planers and what are the differences ? I can find a planer for 200-400 on craigslist depending how old it is.

• Locked thread