Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, the CEO specifically has been good about that. One thing that *really* rubs me the wrong way though is his occasionally arrogant attitude. Whenever someone has a serious criticism of the unit, he just says, "It's probably not for you, let's refund your money!" and I think it sounds a bit assholish.

He has the kind of face that makes you want to punch it, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FISHMANPET posted:

So really thinking about diving into one of these $400 knockoffs. My cutting needs are simple, just cutting elaborate designs in latex sheeting, which is a thing that companies do with 40W lasers, so it's possible. I've also got the capability of venting, as I can put this in my basement workshop space and duct right out the window.

So what are the limitations of this "out of the box?" If I'm just cutting 2d shapes on a single flat piece of material, does the built in controller and software work for that? I've got a computer I can use etc etc so I think this would meet my basic needs, right?

The main concern is less the capabilities of the machine and more damage during shipping or just straight up being given a bad piece of equipment.

Basically, if you buy one of these $400 machines, be prepared to thoroughly inspect every single piece of it, do a lot of research into what's acceptable and not acceptable, and basically overhaul the machine before ever making your first part.

You should really do that anyway for a machine that has a frickin' laser on it, but this is especially true of the cheapos.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Would this machine and this upgrade kit be a good starting point for getting into the hobby (without ever putting power to the machine until after installing the upgrade kit)?

I have a small shop with climate control, so I'm less worried about the cooling system being underpowered for the area I live in. Would the central vacuum system I use to suck up all the woodworking particles be good enough for the exhaust hookup or do I actually need to run a "pump this poo poo outside" line?

Also what does the air assist need to be regulated to?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nevets posted:

I think those kits are overkill. You don't need those huge drivers or a new power supply, and the control panel is superfluous if you are going to have a computer right next to the machine to control it anyway.

I won't have a PC right next to the machine. Was thinking about using a Pi3 with LaserWeb to drive it (already have a Pi3 set up with a keyboard, monitor and mouse to function as a really space saving shop PC, though I don't actually use it for much except to run my 3d printer with an instance of Octopi that also lets me view the desktop directly if I forgot my phone).

quote:

As far as exhaust goes you don't want to risk a small piece of cardboard or plywood with a glowing edge landing in a can of sawdust. I've had heavy cardstock smolder for almost a minute after I stopped cutting. Plus if you plan on cutting acrylic that stuff stinks so you won't want it vented into an enclosed space. Realistically you don't need a huge amount of airflow, just enough to create negative pressure inside the case so smoke won't seep out while cutting.

I would swap the barrel at the exhaust end before engraving anything. Also, whenever I'm done doing any particular woodworking for the day I go ahead and pile any burn-able trash (within what's legal where I live, mostly just the sawdust, chips and any paper products) in the same barrel and burn it all with a fine mesh grate on top of the barrel to keep anything from flying out.

EDIT: I live way out in the boonies where nobody gives a poo poo what I do so long as it doesn't make too much noise.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 13, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That or the chain just isn't long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just found the thread from the 3d printer one. Was thinking of grabbing one of those engravers on aliexpress for etching into some fabric and leather. Anything I should watch out for?

Which one? Also, if it's the tiny one with zero eye protection don't ever look at the machine while the laser is on.

• Locked thread