Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Holy gently caress I'm so sick of arduinos and ramps boards. Cheap and plentiful are the only two qualities that justify their existence at this point; it is 100% worth another 500 bones for a DSP controller that actually loving works if it means I don't have to spend two days trying to fix the myriad configuration errors that stack so precariously with these things.

What about LinuxCNC? People have been working on a version of that for the Beaglebone.

Cutting plywood is a bitch. The glue, fillers, and layering make it repel laser magic or something I don't know. When a material's thickness or plywoodianism becomes more than your laser can take, multiple passes may be in order. Ideally, with a proper controller, you'd fix the workpiece in place at a focus depth even with the top of the material, and with each pass your power z-table would raise the material up a little bit. I, unfortunately, just removed my power z table so I was a lazypants trying to make a quick pair of stands out of cheap plywood I have laying around.

The problem with my lazy approach is that you end up putting so much heat into the wood that it basically turns into glowing orange smoldering charcoal and loses its structural properties. Here is what I cut using two different methods:

Or get a more powerful laser:

https://vimeo.com/123456664

I've been looking into building a Lasersaur, and I was wondering: Would it be feasible to mount a focusing mechanism to the lens/nozzle unit? Most laser cutters move the table, but putting that into a Lasersaur size machine would make it way bigger than I can handle. The added mass shouldn't be too bad compared the the existing gantry, should it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

You've stumbled on to the fundamental more money = better than problem of everything. The BOM for the Lasersaur is using a $1200 tube with a $600 LPSU and a $400 chiller. I'm using a $150 tube with a $79 LPSU and an aquarium pump in a home depot bucket full of water. I'll probably put a 60 watt (to the lasersaur's 100) tube on my big machine when I get around to replacing the spare 32W. Does the lasersaur not already have a focusing mechanism on the linear rail mounting its lens head? I don't see why you couldn't do that; remember at higher powers CO2 lasers tend to get better at cutting and worse at engraving, and if cutting is what you're after then you'll pretty much never be limited by your gantry speed unless you're doing something incredibly complex in very very thin material. In that video they were cutting (in one scene) at 700mm/min or <12mm/s which definitely isn't bumping any movement speed limits.

As far as I can tell, the Lasersaur design has no motorized focusing - presumably on the assumption that its 100W tube would cut straight through anything people would likely put in there.

For cooling, I've been wondering if one could use a radiator built for liquid cooling PCs. I've been hoping to avoid having any external cooling hardware.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Is anyone here familiar with Full Spectrum Laser? They produce machines similar in design to Chinese laser cutters except made in America, though only slightly more expensive than the not-complete-poo poo Chinese machines.

I've also just noticed the Glowforge, which boasts a number of features which could make hobbyist-level lasers much more fun (like being able to automatically adapt to a workpiece that's not perfectly flat, or hagin the laser trace a lihand-drawn line on the material).

Aurium posted:

I know this was posted a while ago, but I figured I'd chime in on this. I'd be difficult. A 40 watt cutter is down on power by about 2 orders of magnitude against a typical SLS metal printer.

You might be able to do it with a very hefty preheater, and just use the laser for the last handful of degrees.

There's been a number of projects to create a desktop SLS printer for plastic, though there's no evidence that anyone will have a complete design any time soon. Plus one would still need a reasonably convenient source for plastic powder.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think the defensive driving analogy holds up. It's more like not wanting to take a rally driving course because you only intend to drive around town and commute to work.

I've seen a lot of people online looking down their noses at the glow forge for being "babby's first laser", and the response is "fine, it's not for you". It reminds me of the EE guys who scoff at arduino users because it's not "real" embedded programming because it has an accessible IDE and tutorials. As an open-source-it hack-it-to-own-it technical user myself I can appreciate the limitations of the glow forge but we're still considering getting one for our makerspace, probably in support of a larger more capable machine. A good chunk of our community don't have the time or energy to invest on top of their existing projects / interests. They are happy to work within the limitations because they only have simple needs.

Don't underestimate the value of accessibility. Thanks to user-experience-focussed design my 81 year old grandmother can use her iPhone 6 and face-time with her grandkids around the world with practically no assistance.

Or, to use something other than a car analogy, an iPad versus a Windows desktop. The iPad will be easier to use for someone who can't be bothered to develop any real technological literacy - provided they're not trying to do anything even slightly outside of how the machine's designers envisioned it would be used.

Though at least there's some possibility that the Glowforge software would allow for manual speed and power control like other laser cutters.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love the (apparently-working) concept of camera for alignment/preview and possibly also focus.

Yeah, that was what got me interested in it. Automatically aligning an engraving job with the workpiece sounds like a great thing to have when you're engraving something expensive.

And now that they're releasing their firmware as open source, I've been wondering: How hard would it be to implement those features in a homebuilt machine?

quote:

Cooling is the other thing; not sure what the Glowforge does for that. I'd still like one.

They're using a water cooling system, but it's fully self-contained:

http://community.glowforge.com/t/cooling-question/198

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I noticed Chinese laser diodes are getting more powerful:

https://www.banggood.com/445-450nm-...EgaAoTHEALw_wcB

That had me wondering: How much power would it take to penetrate 1/4" acrylic while leaving reasonably clean edges? What it one were to take multiple passes with a motorized Z axis?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

DocCynical posted:

Cloud based software? Fuuuuuck that.

I understand that when they first announced the cloud thing, people were all like "But what if the company goes out of business?", and in response the Glowforge people offered to release firmware which would let the laser work without their servers. Which they did - except that it was just basic laser cutter firmware, with nothing to enable the features which make the Glowforge what it is.

ante posted:

Everything I've seen about them seems like overpriced hardware with the "easy software" marketing that may indeed make it easier for beginners starting out, but will ultimately limit you and over process your poo poo when you know exactly what you want.

Doesn't the Glowforge gives you the option of driving it like a standard laser cutter, taking control of all the parameters and stuff? I thought someone earlier in the thread said that it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The March Hare posted:

Hi thread, does a laser cutter exist that can go through thin paper (under 1mm) without burning it (or maybe more precisely without leaving a burnt edge) for under $1,000? Don't need a bed bigger than A4.

I've seen a bunch of Chinese machines for well under $1000 which theoretically would do what you want, but they typically have no safety enclosure and barely functional software.

You say you don't want charred edges - have you considered a vinyl cutter?

https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-S...ds=vinyl+cutter

• Locked thread